Author Topic: Better Call Saul (SPOILERS)  (Read 112900 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Better Call Saul (SPOILERS)
« Reply #105 on: February 24, 2015, 08:02:35 PM »
I really enjoyed this week's episode.  Gotta like the slow burn they are doing with showing how Jimmy transforms into Saul.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #106 on: February 25, 2015, 12:20:48 AM »
"Saul Goodman, yeah.  Like, 's'all good, man'"

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #107 on: February 25, 2015, 09:03:49 PM »
some awesome music/music references in the last episode!

- a Rush poster in the background . . .
- while Chicago is playing (it was "Listen" if I recall correctly) . . .
- right after the big dude was humming "Smoke on the Water"
- then later they played some Dave Brubeck during the scene where Saul was calling all the reporters
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #108 on: February 26, 2015, 09:08:56 PM »

I said that to myself a couple weeks ago and had a complete "...oh god dammit" moment right after.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #109 on: February 27, 2015, 12:39:12 AM »

I said that to myself a couple weeks ago and had a complete "...oh god dammit" moment right after.

I never picked up on this during the entire run of Breaking Bad. I nearly fell out of my chair when he dropped that line. Awesome!
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #110 on: February 27, 2015, 12:48:50 AM »
Saul does actually point it out somewhere in an episode Breaking Bad. Not sure when.

Calvin6s

« Reply #111 on: February 27, 2015, 06:49:27 AM »
Saul does actually point it out somewhere in an episode Breaking Bad. Not sure when.

So much happened in Breaking Bad that it is easy to miss something from what was at the time of Saul's introduction, a minor character.  I missed it from Breaking Bad and I'm betting it was as simple as somebody interrupting me during viewing (which happens frequently).

And the name is one of those things that makes you  :facepalm: because it was staring you in the face, but he pronounced it "mon" instead of "man" so it didn't click.  As soon as you pronounce it literally  :facepalm:

I liken it to my YTSE Jam moment.  A friend and I got so hung up on what Y.T.S.E. stood for as an acronym, that we missed the obvious.   We actually found out by meeting Portnoy before an I&W era tour.  This was a time when he would literally just come out and talk to the fanatics like us (showing up hours early to a concert so we could get right up to the stage).  He talked to us for so long, we actually ran out of things to ask him.  But there was this exchange:

Calvin:  So what does the YTSE in YTSE Jam stand for?
Portnoy:  Do you know the name of our band before Dream Theater?
Calvin:  I heard it was Majesty?
Portnoy:  Ok ... now think about Majesty and look at the name YTSE Jam again.
<Play Jeopardy music>
Calvin:   :facepalm:

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #112 on: February 27, 2015, 09:48:01 AM »
I did not know that. Cool.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: February 27, 2015, 10:13:33 AM »
Random question that I'm not sure has been addressed here or not, as I only did a quick scroll.  If I remember correctly from Breaking Bad, Mike was one of Gus's guys, right?  I remember a scene where Walt took Mike to Saul's office ater Gus was killed so they could meet.  Saul and Mike didn't know each other, from what I remember.  So, now we're being told in "Better Caul Saul" that Saul and Mike did, in fact, know each other all along?
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #114 on: February 27, 2015, 10:26:07 AM »
Having a hard time getting into this show.  Yeah, I realize Saul is trying to make a name for himself but the storyline so far is so slow and not very interesting.  Breaking Bad was lightyears ahead of this show.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #115 on: February 27, 2015, 10:37:42 AM »
In terms of first episodes, I think BCS is doing a better job. But I do not believe that it will reach the same hights that BB did.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #116 on: February 27, 2015, 02:36:18 PM »
Random question that I'm not sure has been addressed here or not, as I only did a quick scroll.  If I remember correctly from Breaking Bad, Mike was one of Gus's guys, right?  I remember a scene where Walt took Mike to Saul's office ater Gus was killed so they could meet.  Saul and Mike didn't know each other, from what I remember.  So, now we're being told in "Better Caul Saul" that Saul and Mike did, in fact, know each other all along?

IIRC, Saul sends Mike to clean up all the drug paraphernalia etc after Jane's drug overdose.

Calvin6s

« Reply #117 on: February 27, 2015, 04:17:07 PM »
In terms of first episodes, I think BCS is doing a better job. But I do not believe that it will reach the same hights that BB did.

I wouldn't put money on that yet.  Saul Goodman is a more likeable character than Walter White.

Walter was kind of a dick with a superiority complex that tried to justify his bad behavior as necessary for his family.

Saul is a guy that is in a dick profession (lawyer) that tried to go on the straight and narrow by building up his practice (not even making it paycheck to paycheck).  The only person he is truly vindictive toward is Howard Hamlin.  And the backstory seems to be that Hamlin screwed over Saul's brother big time.  But he has definitely shown a ton more empathy that Walter White ever did.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #118 on: February 27, 2015, 04:18:57 PM »

Okay, but that's an impossible standard.  BB at its best crushes just about everything (except the early seasons of The Sopranos).

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: February 27, 2015, 05:40:01 PM »

IIRC, Saul sends Mike to clean up all the drug paraphernalia etc after Jane's drug overdose.

Yes, that's right!  Why did I think Mike was one of gus's guys the whole time? So mike had connections with both gus and saul.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Calvin6s

« Reply #120 on: February 27, 2015, 05:50:09 PM »
Yes, that's right!  Why did I think Mike was one of gus's guys the whole time? So mike had connections with both gus and saul.

Because Breaking Bad kind of was murky in Mike's relationship to Gus and Saul and which one was stronger.  At least that's how I remember it.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #121 on: March 03, 2015, 10:33:15 AM »
Probably my least favorite episode so far. It had some good bits, but I am 100% uninterested in Jimmy's elderly-law thing. Hopefully it won't be a thing for long. Also, the Chuck stuff works better when it's shorter.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #122 on: March 03, 2015, 12:35:48 PM »
As with any prequel, the tough part is knowing the way things end up to some degree. For this, there's Kim Wexler. While things could end with Jimmy moving away and changing things, I have a bad feeling something bad happens to/with her at some point in the series.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Calvin6s

« Reply #123 on: March 03, 2015, 03:47:39 PM »
Probably my least favorite episode so far.

It felt like a calm before the storm episode.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #124 on: March 03, 2015, 04:34:15 PM »
I enjoyed that episode a lot.  I thought the whole thing with Chuck was great, and the beginning of telling the Mike story was nice. 

Calvin6s

« Reply #125 on: March 03, 2015, 04:48:10 PM »
I enjoyed that episode a lot.  I thought the whole thing with Chuck was great, and the beginning of telling the Mike story was nice.

I think we just enjoyed the previous episode so much, that this one was bound to feel less compelling.  And the Mike story seems set up for next week.

So do you think Hamlin is just worried about a disability claim or cashing out Chuck's share of the partnership?  Or do you think Chuck's problem was brought on by something related directly to the law firm?

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #126 on: March 09, 2015, 09:26:12 PM »
All I can say about tonight's episode is 'WOW'.....such a strong episode. Acting was top notch.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #127 on: March 10, 2015, 11:19:48 AM »
Yeah the episode was really good. Really cool seeing Mike this way, and his entire fake-drunk-thing was awesome. Did we ever hear anything about his son in BB?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #128 on: March 10, 2015, 08:13:06 PM »
No.  I believe there were two references to him being a cop before (the first in his "half measures" speech to Walt, and the second when Hank and Gomez interrogated him early in Season 5), but aside from Hank's comment about his career as a cop ending..."dramatically," there was nothing else.

Anyway, yeah, that was terrific last night. :tup :tup

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #129 on: March 17, 2015, 05:19:32 AM »

I think we just enjoyed the previous episode so much, that this one was bound to feel less compelling.  And the Mike story seems set up for next week.

So do you think Hamlin is just worried about a disability claim or cashing out Chuck's share of the partnership?  Or do you think Chuck's problem was brought on by something related directly to the law firm?

I think Saul mentions in one of the first episodes that Hamlin is more worried about Chuck bowing out of the company and taking his share of the company with him, meaning that Hamlin would have to sell the law firm to pay Chuck out, like 6 million dollars or something like that?  I may have that completely wrong. 

Just caught up on the last two episodes, really good stuff and some amazing acting from Jonathan Banks.  It was a relief (comic relief, lulz) to see Saul in this episode.  I miss his goofy ass when he's not around, especially with an episode as heavy as that.  I love that they're digging a bit deeper into Mike's story in this, he's definitely one of the characters in BB that deserved more attention. 

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #130 on: March 17, 2015, 05:52:51 AM »
I really enjoyed the shading in of Mikes back story. I thought Johnathon banks acted more in that one episode than he did in the entire BB series.

That might be a tad unfair though as he is really good at playing under stated.

Me and my Mrs are hooked on this series though. Excellent choice for a spin off. It has the potential to be a Frasier rather than a Joey.
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Calvin6s

« Reply #131 on: March 17, 2015, 09:53:11 AM »
Last night's episode was pretty good.

I like how Saul was caught in the "you're in this with us" trap.  So he went after the Achilles Heel of every thief; you can't report the goods you've stolen ... stolen.

This guy stole our money.
What money?
The money we stole.
So you admit you stole the money?
No, we didn't steal it.  There is no money.
So the guy didn't steal any money then?
No, he stole it.  Arrest him.

It's funny because the wife managed deviously controlling and utterly clueless at the same time.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #132 on: March 17, 2015, 11:41:07 AM »
Great episode. Cool to see the beginning of Saul and Mike's future working relationship.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #133 on: March 18, 2015, 11:16:38 AM »
This series is showing some promise.  Mike is adding a whole new dimension to the storyline.  Starting to like it.  :biggrin:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #134 on: March 18, 2015, 11:27:55 AM »
I'm all caught up on this show after last night. I'm loving it so far. I'm so happy it's not a bust.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: March 18, 2015, 11:37:49 AM »
Really good episode. Halfway through I thought they were heading towards a big court case finale with Saul pulling a miracle out of his ass and Kim leaving HH&M to help out. Now that they settled that case, I'm really curious how they're going to end the season over the next 3 episodes.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #136 on: March 18, 2015, 11:40:32 AM »
There's only three episodes left?? :eek

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: March 18, 2015, 11:58:49 AM »
Yup. Breaking Bad only had a 7 episode first season, then went to 13 for seasons 2-4 (two sets of 8 for season 5). With the way things are going, I'm feeling good that we'll get a full 13 for next season.

EDIT: Season 2 is confirmed to have 13 episodes.

Calvin6s

« Reply #138 on: March 18, 2015, 03:33:46 PM »
Really good episode. Halfway through I thought they were heading towards a big court case finale with Saul pulling a miracle out of his ass and Kim leaving HH&M to help out. Now that they settled that case, I'm really curious how they're going to end the season over the next 3 episodes.

I had the same plot possibility going in my head as I was watching it.  That's what I like about the show so far.  As you are watching, there are quite a few possibilities about how something could play out.  And the one that actually plays out is the most surprising one.

The feeling I'm getting from the entire story arc of season 1 is simply:
Saul, by nature, is a scammer.  But he's trying to do the right thing with the idea that you push through doing things the right way and eventually people notice your integrity.  This is enforced by his brother saying exactly that.  And even though his brother is in a bad place now, he obviously at one time did very well based off his own advice. But every time he does the right thing, he just seems to get the short end of the stick.  But every time he runs a scam, he gets ahead.

Take a bribe from people that are douchebags anyway, get ahead.
White hat scam to get the douchebags back to the right deal that also helps his biggest friend, his dream of expanding gets compromised.

The whole season seems to be the theme that schemers get ahead.  Integrity's "feel good moment" is short-lived when the bill collectors are knocking at your door.

So he will eventually make the compromise that he will be that scheming lawyer, but justify it by scamming people he considers had it coming to them.

He's breaking relatively bad.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 08:01:32 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #139 on: March 18, 2015, 06:43:48 PM »
Betsy Kettleman is bat shit insane, but kinda hot, too.