Author Topic: Better Call Saul (SPOILERS)  (Read 114822 times)

Offline SoundscapeMN

Re: Better Call Saul (SPOILERS)
« Reply #1225 on: August 20, 2022, 06:32:27 PM »
while they were lesser characters, I found people like

Hector
Tuco
Pryce
Skinny Pete+Badger

were as entertaining as any characters as they had in the shows. I just liked seeing them meltdown which added comic-relief.

Also Ted Beneke, who was totally naive, when they introduced Howard, I was totally reminded of.

I.e. I wondered if Howard was basically going to be the BCS version of Ted. Which didn't really happen that much, but in a small way, I still wonder if that's what the writers were going for.

That being said, if I picked favorite characters:

-Mike
-Saul in BB

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1226 on: September 04, 2022, 06:22:21 PM »
I managed to binge re-watch this since the finale, as I had planned. Definitely better the second time around, and while it didn't have the consistent highs of a certain other show that shall remain nameless ;), it was still pretty damn great overall. The slower pace works better on the binge for sure.  A few thoughts...

-The conversation between Mike and Nacho's dad is a great reminder to us that while it is easy for us to watch and differentiate between the "good guy" bad guys like Mike and Nacho and the "bad guy" bad guys like Gus and Lalo, to most of society, the law-abiding citizens, they really are all the same. 

-Special kudos should go to the college students who played Jimmy's camera crew. The tall guy was fairly nondescript, but the camera guy was so always so ambivalent about everything and just wanted his money and for no one to touch his camera, and the gal was sneaky hilarious (her enthusiasm for always trying to get someone camera-ready was money).

-Steven Bauer gets mad props for his portrayal of Don Eladio.  He didn't get a lot of scenes in this or Breaking Bad, but he killed it in both.  The scene when Lalo gives him the car is so funny.  He was like a child getting what he wanted for his 6th birthday and being all giddy about it, and then him repeating his own "frunk" pun had me LOLing for real.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1227 on: September 04, 2022, 08:33:00 PM »
Has anybody started watching BB again since BCS has ended? I watched a video earlier on YT where some guy analyzed a scene from BB, one from BCS that adds some tone and background to it, and then goes back to the BB scene. He was of the opinion that it changed the meaning a little bit. That might be a reach, but it certainly provided a lot of insight into why Mike behaved a certain way, and perhaps what he meant. We take it as a given that VG is so good at this that he's not going to screw up a show with continuity issues or by changing a character's nature. In fact he's probably good enough that every scene he made in BCS was done with an eye towards improving BB. A second viewing of it might be very different now that we better understand three of the main characters.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1228 on: September 05, 2022, 07:55:38 AM »
Not yet, but I am sure I will want to do another BB re-watch at some point.

I will say, though, and we might have touched on this already, that I disagree with the sentiment I have seen since the BCS finale that we know now how much Saul meant to Walt. That is not new. It was blatantly obvious to BB viewers to Saul had a MASSIVE hand in Walter White building his meth empire, but I think the BCS finale was Jimmy McGill letting the (imaginary BB/BCS) world know that, "hey, Walter White is not a name any of you would know without ME."

I suspect some could re-watch some of Saul's more relaxed BB moments and relate them to Kim in some way.  For as much as a clown show as Saul could be when he was doing his thing, he could do the more subdued moments really well as well where you saw a slightly different side of him, a side that was obviously fleshed out in BCS.  Like, you could tell Saul didn't feel great about the ruse where he had to have Francesca call Hank to tell him Marie was in the hospital (to get Hank away from the RV where Walt and Jesse were trapped inside).

I always liked the moment late in Season 3 of BB when Mike threatens to break Saul's legs if he doesn't tell him where Jesse is. When Saul breaks and tells him where the notepad is where Jesse's (fake) location is written, he still tells him not to touch anything on his desk.  While not a tough guy, Saul still showed some balls there by giving that directive, and one could definitely now see that as more impactful now having seen the backstory of how their working relationship began.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1229 on: September 05, 2022, 09:00:07 AM »
I always liked the moment late in Season 3 of BB when Mike threatens to break Saul's legs if he doesn't tell him where Jesse is. When Saul breaks and tells him where the notepad is where Jesse's (fake) location is written, he still tells him not to touch anything on his desk.  While not a tough guy, Saul still showed some balls there by giving that directive, and one could definitely now see that as more impactful now having seen the backstory of how their working relationship began.
Not to mention that Saul has witnessed two guys getting their legs broken.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1230 on: September 05, 2022, 10:31:57 AM »

Best lawyer ever!  He got those clowns from a life sentence down to six months.  :lol :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1231 on: September 06, 2022, 07:11:13 AM »

Best lawyer ever!  He got those clowns from a life sentence down to six months.  :lol :lol

Still one of the very best lines of the entire show, hands sown.

"You're the worst lawyer.... the worst lawyer ever!!!"
"I talked you down from a death sentence to six months' probation. I'm the best lawyer ever".

Anyway, I would love to see the outside perspective of what the public know about the whole Heisenberg drama. I must have seen someone on Reddit mentioning it too - having a movie without any of the major protagonists, to show people find out about Heisenberg, the whole manhunt, which details were gotten right and which ones were dramatized to increase the legend of Heisenberg, and so on. Included Saul's arrest.

"Truth is, Walter White couldn't have done it without me".

Hello, pride and ego of Walter, how are you doing?  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1232 on: September 06, 2022, 07:22:58 AM »
"Truth is, Walter White couldn't have done it without me".

Hello, pride and ego of Walter, how are you doing?  :lol

While the bolded is true.......the statement he made is factual as well.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1233 on: September 06, 2022, 07:59:39 AM »
But the general public, I assume, just learnt of Heisenberg and how a chemistry teacher built a drug empire. Now the everyday man will read in the news that his lawyer assumed full responsability and even credit for guiding him and preventing him to be dead or in jail within a month.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1234 on: September 12, 2022, 06:45:03 PM »
Rhea Seehorn didn't win the Emmy, however she will be eligible next year.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1235 on: September 12, 2022, 06:58:30 PM »
Yep, this nomination was for Season 6a. She can still win it next year for 6B.

Julie Garner was awesome on Ozark as well, so I have no issues with her winning.  Everyone cannot win.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1236 on: September 22, 2022, 10:19:11 PM »
Rhea Seehorn to star in Vince Gilligan's next show that has a 2-season order exclusively on Apple TV+,
which given I don't subscribe to that service, I'm not thrilled about.

However, my wife is a Mac user and thus she may have access (I have not tried, although I would like to to check out Ronald D Moore's "For All Mankind" on there if possible)

https://deadline.com/2022/09/vince-gilligan-next-series-rhea-seehorn-star-apple-tv-plus-two-season-order-1235124488/

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1237 on: August 04, 2023, 12:33:42 PM »
Hector Salamanca aka Tio aka Mark Margolis RIP.

was a big part of the BB/BCS stories.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/mark-margolis-dead-breaking-bad-better-call-saul-1235551107/
« Last Edit: August 04, 2023, 02:02:18 PM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1238 on: August 04, 2023, 01:04:54 PM »
Oh, noooooooo  :'( :'( :'(

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1239 on: September 22, 2023, 09:48:08 AM »
https://twitter.com/itsSaulGoodman/status/1704912631088177389

still uncertain about this, but if true, this is worth looking forward to. It doesn't exactly correlate with what Vince Gilligan said after Better Call Saul ended though.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1240 on: September 22, 2023, 10:01:10 AM »
I want to believe.

I'm in.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1241 on: September 22, 2023, 10:03:03 AM »
Ehhh…….I don’t know about this one. I think that character has been pretty much flushed out and detailed to the point there’s really nothing left to learn. Even if there are some aspects here and there that are unknown or not covered…..”better to save the mystery, than surrender to the secret”.

‘If’ this does happen I’ll watch because BB and BCS were both incredible…..but don’t know if that third bolt is being caught in the bottle.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1242 on: September 22, 2023, 10:11:43 AM »
It's difficult to figure out if that's an official account.

When I searched for Saul Goodman there are like 5 blue checked accounts.

The official show channel is better call Saul with a yellow checkmark.

Plus with the strike going on, I doubt this is real
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1243 on: September 22, 2023, 10:21:17 AM »
That account also has a Better Fuel Huel poster on the account. Kinda weird account just posting random pics of the show and made up posters
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1244 on: September 22, 2023, 12:51:20 PM »
The only way you could create a show on the guy is to make it another prequel, for obvious reasons. Giancarlo is too old to pull of the young, still in Peru Gustavo. Same with the other characters that could be included (a variety of Salamancas). That said, if VG wanted to recast them and make such a show I bet it'd be good. Not happening, though, with him working on the Rhea Seahorn thing.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1245 on: September 25, 2023, 06:11:47 AM »
The only way you could create a show on the guy is to make it another prequel, for obvious reasons. Giancarlo is too old to pull of the young, still in Peru Gustavo. Same with the other characters that could be included (a variety of Salamancas). That said, if VG wanted to recast them and make such a show I bet it'd be good. Not happening, though, with him working on the Rhea Seahorn thing.

I wonder if they could do a show that ran in parallel with the events of Breaking Bad. It wouldn't require that much de-aging (less than BCS), and there'd already be a source timeline to thread the story through. It would be tough to write, but it could be cool to see Walt's empire climb through Gus' eyes.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1246 on: September 25, 2023, 06:25:36 AM »
Gus is a character where less is more.

The more he was hidden and mysterious and enigmatic, the more he was scary. The more you explore his life, he becomes a bit more mundane.

I am curious to know what happened in Chile, but I also know that there is no complete explanation that will be better than the vague and scary idea that this dude helped Pinochet's regime and did some bad things.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1247 on: September 25, 2023, 10:39:03 AM »

I wonder if they could do a show that ran in parallel with the events of Breaking Bad. It wouldn't require that much de-aging (less than BCS), and there'd already be a source timeline to thread the story through. It would be tough to write, but it could be cool to see Walt's empire climb through Gus' eyes.
That's an interesting premise, but I think MM is correct. We've seen the perfect amount of Fring. If we wanted to show the going's on from a different perspective, Gildenhank and Rosengomez are dead. That'd actually be a pretty cool show.
E.F. Benson