Author Topic: Better Call Saul (SPOILERS)  (Read 115168 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Better Call Saul (SPOILERS)
« Reply #1085 on: July 18, 2022, 09:17:19 PM »
While I don't like them ignoring Cliff forgetting that Kim skipped the meeting the day Howard went off the rails in the Sandpiper deal, I think the Howard storyline is wrapped up.  Kim's fake story seemed to finally make his widow see their truth. 

Everything in the BCS timeline was seemingly wrapped up nicely, from Gus making things right with the cartel to Kim finally leaving Jimmy to Mike letting Nacho's father know that his son was gone, so the jump forward to, or close to, the BB timeline, which is what the end tonight seemed to be, seems right.

I think it is also important to remember that Saul did not pick Nebraska as his place to disappear. That was picked for him by Ed (the disappearer), so the theories out there that Saul picked Kim's hometown/home state as his place to live when in hiding to be close to her do not hold up.  I think if we see Kim again, though, it will be in the post-BB Gene timeline.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1086 on: July 18, 2022, 10:26:31 PM »
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3032476/episodes?ref_=tt_eps_sm

just scan the Screencaps for the final 4 episodes, namely episode 6.11.

It seems that there's still some content with Kim left on these final 4 episodes.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1087 on: July 18, 2022, 10:40:43 PM »
I appreciate the fact that there wasn’t (as of yet) some big to do with Kim’s resolution. For years there’s been theories and assumptions that she had to be dead or in jail…..or relocated by the vacuum guy. It’s practical and makes sense and fits with the arc of her character…..Howard’s death smacked her in the face and made her take a hard look at herself and Jimmy…..and she came to the conclusion we’ve all seen and known. It’ll be odd not seeing her character again if that is indeed the last time we see her…..but, it does fit.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online faizoff

« Reply #1088 on: July 18, 2022, 10:41:52 PM »
Rhea Seahorn's acting as Kim continues to amaze, she played it so well in that scene and was great the entire episode, you just had a feeling she wasn't the same right from the get go while Jimmy was sorta already on the mend ready to move on. I have to think we'll see her a bit more but their relationship is done. What an emotionally charged episode opposite of the previous one. The show knows how to do drama unlike any other.

You knew it was done when she kissed him after leaving the service.

I just read and also remembered a cool tidbit about Saul talking about the masturbating guy at the office at the end of the episode which in Breaking Bad was the mixup with Badger when Saul first meets him in prison asking why he masturbated in public lol.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 11:02:28 PM by faizoff »
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1089 on: July 19, 2022, 05:33:08 AM »
Yeah, I caught that about the public masturbator, but they didn't mention Starbucks, so I figured it wasn't the one he confused with Badger.  :lol :lol

Agreed about Rhea Seehorn. It seems criminal that she just recently got her first Emmy nomination for her acting in this show.

I have to say that Don Eladio making fun of Hector's bell ringing was one of the funniest things in the history of the show. That made me LOL for real pretty hard.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1090 on: July 19, 2022, 10:00:10 AM »
I love the symbolism. Two fathers lost their son. One is free, the other one is not so.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1091 on: July 19, 2022, 03:20:26 PM »
Wasn't there a man coughing in Saul's waiting room? I believe the episode ended right before Walter White entered Sau's office for the first time.

I guess I gotta check Reddit for that one, if that's true, it's a master trolling from the writers, to give the most possible cheesy ending (Walt entering Saul's office) at the end of an episode, and cutting right before it happens  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1092 on: July 21, 2022, 08:32:42 PM »
another thing I just noticed on imdb.

Mark Proksch who plays Daniel "Pryce" Wormald  aka The Baseball Card guy, returns for 2 of the last 4 episodes

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1515989/

I wonder if he has anything to do with Gene being found in Omaha?..maybe the FBI (or US Marshalls? or whatever organization is in charge of fugitives MIA) went to him and he spilled what he knew?..although I don't think he had any interactions with Jimmy/Saul previously. He did with Mike of course, but in the Gene timeline, Mike's dead of course.

edit: he did work with Jimmy
see this montage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmk6z3qqfIw
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 09:02:19 PM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1093 on: July 22, 2022, 01:10:16 AM »
Refresh my memory, please.

What's a squat cobbler?

:lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1094 on: July 23, 2022, 07:52:31 AM »
Too bad Nacho had his guys take it to the chop shop, because who wouldn't love to see the below again? :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1095 on: July 23, 2022, 05:00:56 PM »
… did Gus get poisoned?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1096 on: July 25, 2022, 08:26:57 PM »
Hard to believe that with only four eps left, they spent an entire one just to show that Jimmy is still running scams as Gene, but I have learned by now with this show that just when I think they have turned the corner and consistent greatness is coming, they will pull the rug out from under me.  :lol :lol

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1097 on: July 25, 2022, 09:19:24 PM »
I'm sorry, but that episode was a total snoozefest.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #1098 on: July 25, 2022, 09:27:28 PM »
Yeah, that was a snooze, except for Carol Burnette.

Online faizoff

« Reply #1099 on: July 25, 2022, 10:46:06 PM »
That episode was like season 1 BCS. Gene/Jimmy up to his old tricks and just spending time doing elaborate hijinks. I really liked it, I mean sure it was a very different change of pace. I dug it. I imagine the ending is going to be similar to this like how the show started and it sorta just fizzles away rather than some boombastic ending. Though who knows.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1100 on: July 25, 2022, 10:55:16 PM »
I too am perplexed as to why an entire episode was dedicated to showing that Jimmy can still con anyone in any way, shape or fashion. All to honor his 'I'll take care of it myself' proclamation. With now only three episodes to go....seems like that time could have been better served but I'll withhold full judgment until the final curtain closes.....you never know what tiny detail or interaction from this episode will prove crucial later down the line.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1101 on: July 25, 2022, 11:46:06 PM »
thumbs up on Carol Burnett.

Thumbs down on recasting Jeff.

Pat Healy does not look all that much like Don Harvey. He's even 11 years younger, lol.

Perhaps Harvey couldn't do it when they needed to film, or wanted more money?

I guess I was expecting a little more detail how he was going to "Fix it himself" rather than a blackmail scheme.

Also I wonder why those security guards, especially Nick, really didn't suspect any kind of extra motivation. Perhaps the whole emergency "If I die, I got nobody" speech supported that behavior/motivation.

Also I gotta wonder if Frank consuming a Cinnabon so often as he was doing with Gene, might wonder. He hardly looks like the healthiest guy, especially for his age. But what can you do? some people don't care and feel life is short. They may as well indulge on something while they still can.

I also wonder if by them having Gene "take care of it himself" and not use the Disappearer, I wonder if the death of Robert Forster dictated Gene changing his mind on not using him again.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1102 on: July 26, 2022, 04:28:47 AM »
I went to the mall to get the wife an anniversary gift yesterday, walked by here, and had to buy one.  Thank goodness, otherwise those scenes would have been
pure torture! :lol (and I hope she enjoys her present more...)

I met Don Harvey when I worked with his brother decades ago.  He had quite a run, appearing in 'Eight Men Out' (as Swede Risburg), 'Die Hard 2', 'Better Off Dead', 'Casualties Of War'....    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Harvey_(actor,_born_1960)

He was not available for BCS, because he had a main role in the HBO mini series 'We Own This City'.  This was yet another excellent David Simon developed show ('The Wire') about the city police's brutally corrupt Gun Trace Task Force.  Well worth a watch.

As to BCS and Jeff....hey, just give me some money, and I'll keep quiet.  I'm not risking jail in that scheme.  I was not keen with the Carol Burnett casting, but it was done perfectly.  Whose to say she won't be the cause of Saul's downfall?  The payoff for this episode better be something good, because my wife and I often complained throughout, but upon further review this morning have come around.  Gene checking out the garish shirt and tie while walking around with a KC Royal bag was one of many nice touches (hated the snow field and the bull horn though).
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 06:54:42 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1103 on: July 26, 2022, 04:42:04 AM »
....except for.....''Slippin' Jimmy' almost being undone by a real slip and fall.  We thought the ruse would end because the buffer would be out of his scheduled routine due to the scuff mark.  And then his (phony) confession of loneliness and loss.  There's always that one percent of real feeling, but the other 99% is all Saul.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1104 on: July 26, 2022, 07:54:01 AM »
I think this ep was wonderful, he did all this to get rid of the only person that knows who Gene really is. I loved every minute.

Online faizoff

« Reply #1105 on: July 26, 2022, 11:38:55 AM »
Guess the showrunners were expecting the blowback on this episode. I personally loved it but can see how it would derail the flow and expectations for some.

[Writer-producer] Gordon Smith hinted that these final episodes will throw some curveballs, take some big, weird swings, and take fans down some roads they don't see coming. So just when fans think they have their footing, should they stay on guard?

Well, that is certainly true of this episode. We did consciously defy expectations and we would never do that if it felt inorganic or forced; we really try to honor where the story wants to go and where the characters are moving. And it felt right to us to, finally, in this season — much later in the game than we're used to — go into Omaha world. Even though some could argue it was the wrong time. To us, it felt like it was the right time. [Laughs] We did acknowledge that people might be yelling at us either internally or out loud, but it seemed like it would be worth it in the end. I hope it was.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1106 on: July 26, 2022, 12:32:21 PM »
I think this ep was wonderful, he did all this to get rid of the only person that knows who Gene really is. I loved every minute.

After sleeping on it for a night I really don't have any qualms with the episode and trust that it will/did benefit the story as it nears it's end.

What's strange is that was the episode they were filming when Odenkirk had his heart attack and he delivered that speech about being alone and could die at any moment etc etc. Weird.

Online faizoff

« Reply #1107 on: July 26, 2022, 12:36:44 PM »

After sleeping on it for a night I really don't have any qualms with the episode and trust that it will/did benefit the story as it nears it's end.

What's strange is that was the episode they were filming when Odenkirk had his heart attack and he delivered that speech about being alone and could die at any moment etc etc. Weird.

It's actually Episode 8 'Point and Shoot' that Bob had the heart attack on.

But, as it turns out, that's not quite correct — and Odenkirk wants to set the record straight. The tragedy with a happy ending actually occurred during the filming of episode 8, "Point and Shoot,"

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1108 on: July 26, 2022, 12:43:11 PM »

It's actually Episode 8 'Point and Shoot' that Bob had the heart attack on.

But, as it turns out, that's not quite correct — and Odenkirk wants to set the record straight. The tragedy with a happy ending actually occurred during the filming of episode 8, "Point and Shoot,"

Ahhh....thanks for the clarification. There were quite a few articles out this past week saying this was the episode.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1109 on: July 26, 2022, 01:47:01 PM »
Guess the showrunners were expecting the blowback on this episode. I personally loved it but can see how it would derail the flow and expectations for some.

[Writer-producer] Gordon Smith hinted that these final episodes will throw some curveballs, take some big, weird swings, and take fans down some roads they don't see coming. So just when fans think they have their footing, should they stay on guard?

Well, that is certainly true of this episode. We did consciously defy expectations and we would never do that if it felt inorganic or forced; we really try to honor where the story wants to go and where the characters are moving. And it felt right to us to, finally, in this season — much later in the game than we're used to — go into Omaha world. Even though some could argue it was the wrong time. To us, it felt like it was the right time. [Laughs] We did acknowledge that people might be yelling at us either internally or out loud, but it seemed like it would be worth it in the end. I hope it was.

It was the worst timing, IMO. We've had our foot down on the accelerator and then the brakes were slammed for seemingly no reason. I know I called the episode a snoozefest, and I stand by that, but I don't think it was bad. It'd be like seeing The Police in concert only for Sting to come out and play that acoustic version of Don't Stand So Close To Me. It killed the flow of the season for me. 

This should have a been a bonus episode for the fans. Dump it on us at Christmas or something as a wrap up, kind of like El Camino.

I really don't think I hated the episode all that much. It was cool for what it was, and I expected something along these lines (not a full episode though). It just felt so out of place given the season and was only done because "art". I hope I'm wrong and there's some huge payoff by the time the show wraps.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1110 on: July 26, 2022, 02:25:16 PM »

It was the worst timing, IMO. We've had our foot down on the accelerator and then the brakes were slammed for seemingly no reason. I know I called the episode a snoozefest, and I stand by that, but I don't think it was bad. It'd be like seeing The Police in concert only for Sting to come out and play that acoustic version of Don't Stand So Close To Me. It killed the flow of the season for me. 

This should have a been a bonus episode for the fans. Dump it on us at Christmas or something as a wrap up, kind of like El Camino.

I really don't think I hated the episode all that much. It was cool for what it was, and I expected something along these lines (not a full episode though). It just felt so out of place given the season and was only done because "art". I hope I'm wrong and there's some huge payoff by the time the show wraps.

It was 'out of character' for what the show has been for the past 5-1/2 seasons....which is.....most episodes are REALLY good. It was a 'ho hum' episode that sticks out because the series is so close to being wrapped up.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1111 on: July 26, 2022, 07:24:22 PM »
I am sure it will make sense once we see how it all ends - it will be funny that after all of the stuff he did as Jimmy and Saul that was much worse, "Gene" gets busted for petty shoplifting because he just couldn't help himself - but it felt like an episode that would have made more sense earlier in the season.   

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1112 on: July 27, 2022, 06:30:10 AM »
BTW, the coolest thing about the episode was the change in the opening intro song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fuc21B_eJow

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1113 on: July 27, 2022, 09:25:38 AM »
Now also Better Call Saul has a "Fly" episode  :D

I liked it, I'm not gonna worship the episode but once you accept that the writers felt it was needed to dedicate an episode to Gene, it's kinda cool to see that he comes most alive when he goes back to be Slippin' Jimmy.

I truly have no idea how the last three episodes will go. You'd think we'd pass through the Breaking Bad era first, or that the taxi driver was a major source of conflict but now. What the hell is going to happen?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1114 on: July 27, 2022, 09:34:27 AM »
Really all that's left is the lead up to raid on his house, no? That must have happened before Saul gets vacuumed away, otherwise, I think it'd have been in black and white. We know we're going to see something go down with the Vet and his black book (also based on the raid scene we saw).

At this point, I'm thinking anything involving Walter and Jessie isn't going to be integral to any plot point. It's just going to be a treat for the fans.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1115 on: July 27, 2022, 12:21:37 PM »
At this point, I'm thinking anything involving Walter and Jessie isn't going to be integral to any plot point. It's just going to be a treat for the fans.

100%   If I had to guess I'd say it'd be in the final moments of the show as well....maybe not final moments but final episode. There's really nothing there to 'add' by having them in the story, them being on the show is all fan service and a chance to see Jesse and Walt again.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1116 on: July 28, 2022, 06:15:38 AM »
I don't think this is a spoiler, so I will put it out there:

The name of the next episode is: Breaking Bad

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1117 on: July 28, 2022, 06:45:08 AM »
I don't think this is a spoiler, so I will put it out there:

The name of the next episode is: Breaking Bad

Mirroring the Better Call Saul episode of BrBa  :metal

So next episode we're gonna see Walt and Jesse, uh?

It would be cool if the episode was a fan service.... for Better Call Saul fans  :lol I mean, I'd like to see some random scenes that contestualize what Saul's life became once a 50 years old chemistry teacher walked into his office, maybe some stuff we already know from different points of view: Mike finding Walt's whereabouts so that Saul can go to at his school, Gus learning of the blue meth, some behind the scenes discussions about Walt, maybe some new scenes of stuff we knew, but we didn't see.... something like that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1118 on: July 28, 2022, 05:25:24 PM »
Will be hilarious when the BCS called Breaking Bad is NOT the one with Walt and Jesse. :lol

I like the theory out there that Marion was on to Gene and is helping her son and that other guy him up.  Let's face it, the bad guys in the BCS/BB universe always get what's coming to them, and make no mistake about it, Jimmy/Saul/Gene is a bad guy.  What price he has to pay, we will know very soon.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1119 on: July 29, 2022, 07:34:11 AM »
Browsing through BCS' Wikiquote and in the last episode of season 3, when Kim had her accident, there's this exchange:

Kim: I could've killed someone, Jimmy.
Jimmy: Yeah, yourself.

Don't worry Kim, if falling asleep at the wheel won't do it, maybe doing a long mean con will be the key!