Author Topic: The David Lynch Thread  (Read 2738 times)

Offline npiazza91

The David Lynch Thread
« on: November 08, 2014, 04:00:46 PM »
I looked around a bit and couldn't find this anywhere.  Anyone here a fan of his films?  I've seen Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive.  I'm about to start watching all his films in order, starting with Eraserhead.  His films are definitely not for everyone, but once you appreciate his style, they're really amazing films to watch.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
Re: The David Lynch Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 04:53:49 PM »
Mulholland Drive was great. I'm also a huge Twin Peaks fan.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 06:56:18 PM »
David Lynch is totally up there among my top5 favorite directors. I hold Mulholland Drive as his best, but I also really enjoyed Lost Highway, which felt almost even more creepy and bizarre at times. Twin Peaks and Fire Walk With Me were both really great as well. Twin Peaks lost some steam in the middle of S2, but still had interesting characters enough that it didn't drop off the map for me. The last episode was genuinely creepy and I still have a lot of imagery from that episode stuck in my head. Probably one of the best 40 minute segments Lynch has made. As for Fire Walk With Me, I would have preferred to learn a bit more about what happened after the show, but I liked the movie for what it was.

I have been meaning to watch Blue Velvet for a long time, but I haven't found the time or mood for it yet. Same goes for Inland Empire and Wild at Heart.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 07:15:13 AM »
Love his style and his movies, but my favorite moment of him is when he was in Louie. The guy is hysterical, those were some of the funniest moments of television history.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 10:43:20 AM »
Seems like a cool guy. I wish I enjoyed his work more than I do.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 12:31:41 PM »
He's a weird motherfucker and I generally enjoy his movies but have to be in the right mood for them. I just recently saw Eraserhead finally and had mixed feelings. Love Blue Velvet and Mulholland Drive, Lost Highway was cool, Inland Empire was pretty good... and I think that's all I've seen. Only seen one or two episodes of Twin Peaks.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 09:08:48 PM »
I haven't seen all of his movies, but I've enjoyed all the ones I have seen, and yes, that includes Dune (explanation - I've never read the books).  Blue Velvet is probably my favorite of his.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 11:36:25 PM »
I finally just watched Wild at Heart and absolutely loved it. Probably one of my favorites from him!
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 12:56:29 PM »
I'm currently in the middle of Twin Peaks season 1, watching it for the first time. I enjoy it, it's some good stuff.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Onno

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 04:27:55 PM »
I'm currently in the middle of Twin Peaks season 1, watching it for the first time. I enjoy it, it's some good stuff.
:tup

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2014, 05:18:09 PM »
:tup

I've tried to watch the pilot so many times but it moves so slow and doesn't seem half as engaging as other Lynch work!  I'm gonna have to suck it up and sit through it - I'm sure its bound to get better as it goes on. 

Offline Onno

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2014, 02:35:12 AM »
It really does get better. The characters are amazing.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2023, 09:54:22 PM »
just saw blue velvet in a theater. not my first time seeing it but definitely my first time in a theater. perfect movie!! 5/5!
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2023, 08:46:41 AM »
Kind of a weird thread resurrection.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2023, 01:37:23 PM »
Kind of a weird thread resurrection.

sorry! didn't want to create a new one since i was able to find an existing one. lynch is my favorite director and i was glad there are people here that (at one time at least) chatter about his work!!

going to see Wild at Heart next week!
Welcome to the Forums!

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2023, 12:14:01 PM »
continuing on with Denver's Lynch September theater screenings, i saw wild at heart last night. here's a brief review i wrote for it after the showing last night

david lynch's "wild at heart" is a masterpiece, no doubt about it. i mean, seriously, it's a mind-blowing cinematic experience. from start to finish, lynch takes you on a wild ride through the twisted, surreal, and darkly comedic world he's known for.

the story revolves around sailor and lula, played by nicolas cage and laura dern, two lovers on the run from a dangerous and bizarre cast of characters. the chemistry between cage and dern is electric, and their performances are nothing short of incredible. you can feel the intensity of their love and the madness of the world they're trapped in.

lynch's direction is pure genius. he weaves a tapestry of surreal and dreamlike imagery that keeps you hooked from the first frame to the last. the way he uses music in this film is nothing short of brilliant. the soundtrack, featuring artists like elvis presley and chris isaak, adds a whole other layer to the film's atmosphere.

the supporting cast is equally impressive. willem dafoe as bobby peru is absolutely terrifying, and diane ladd as lula's mother is delightfully wicked. every character, no matter how small their role, feels like they belong in lynch's strange and twisted universe.

the film's themes of love, violence, and the darkness that lurks just beneath the surface of everyday life are explored in a way that only lynch can. it's a dark and twisted fairy tale that will leave you thinking long after the credits roll.

"wild at heart" is not for the faint of heart. it's a wild, bizarre, and sometimes disturbing journey, but it's also a work of art. lynch's vision and storytelling are unparalleled, and this film is a shining example of his talent. if you're a fan of lynch's other work, or if you just appreciate bold and visionary filmmaking, "wild at heart" is an absolute must-see. it's a cinematic experience that you won't soon forget.

Wild at Heart is probably my favorite lynch film, and might be one of if not my all time favorite films.

anyone else enjoy this one?

Welcome to the Forums!