Author Topic: NFL Thread 2015 v. Please make deflategate posts in the thread named for it  (Read 252953 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: NFL Thread 2015 v. Doug Flutie 4eva
« Reply #105 on: March 10, 2015, 04:55:13 PM »
Wild and crazy day.

I was floored by the Graham and Foles/Bradford trades.

Chip Kelly has to be angling to grab his QB from Oregon.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #106 on: March 10, 2015, 05:12:23 PM »
Wild and crazy day.

I was floored by the Graham and Foles/Bradford trades.

Chip Kelly has to be angling to grab his QB from Oregon.
Yeah that's the only reasonable explanation I can see. Chip is going all in for Mariota.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: March 10, 2015, 05:24:35 PM »
WOW... if this finalizes The Rams just fleeced the Eagles....

Bradford and his 16 mil price tag this year, for Foles and his under 2 mil tag.  The Rams also get Eagles 4th rounder this year and 2nd in 2016 (if Bradfords the starter)  If not, it turns into a 3rd.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #108 on: March 10, 2015, 05:39:33 PM »
Some thoughts that have been brewing for a few months.

I have been a 49er fan since probably 1980.  I started watching football that year with my dad toward the end of the season.  The 49ers weren't very good that year, but that was okay.  It was still fun to watch.  Little did I know at the time that next season would begin a true sports dynasty.  You couldn't ask for better timing.  Maybe that spoiled me in terms of expectations, but I'm not so sure.  I think I am actually pretty realistic in terms of my expectations. 

"Expectations" is in interesting word when it comes to a sports team.  Over the past year, to say that my "expectations" have not been met is a gross understatement.  I am bitterly disappointed in the team.  Not because they had a bad season, but because of the way they have conducted themselves during this time.  I was a pretty big fan of Harbaugh.  And while I realize that he rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, I think he was good for the team.  And I think he had complete buy-in from his players.  And then management cut his legs out from under him.

Last season was horrible.  It is not so much the losses.  That's the way it goes in sports.  They (and other teams that I like) have had bad seasons.  A HUGE part of that is just the fact that the team was practically the walking dead in terms of the number of injuries to such a number of starters and backups.  I don't ever recall seeing so many team members sidelined for so much of the season.  But that is what it is.  The other major factor was that the players seemed apathetic.  For a team playing under Harbaugh, that is...bewildering.  He simply does not tolerate that.  But now we know:  Management was making it impossible for him and he knew from the beginning of the season that this was almost certainly going to be his last season here.  So rightly or wrongly, he wasn't all-in, and his players weren't either. 

Then you have the way management dealt with player misconduct and other issues.  They constantly stated that they were a team that wanted to "win with class."  But their actions consistently belied that statement. 

All the way through, I feel that management has been shady, has lied, and has basically thumbed their noses at the fans.  Yeah, an NFL team is a business, and team ownership/management has no obligation to do things just because it will please some fans--even a large segment of the fans.  But when you go so far as to begin alienating the fans, you do so at your own risk.  I am a completely alienated fan.

For whatever reason, I was thinking about the 49ers yesterday morning when I got up and started getting ready for work.  I was thinking about how bitter, disinterested, and alienated I feel as a fan.  I have no interest in rooting for them this year.  Jed York said in an interview a few months ago that he wanted the fans to hold him accountable for the decisions he makes.  The interviewer, to his credit, pounced on that and said something along the lines of, "That sounds great in theory, but what does it actually meanHow are the fans supposed to hold you accountable if you conduct the team in a way that they disapprove of?  Are you going to refund all their tickets?  Buy them free beers at the stadium?  What?  What does that look like?"  He had no answer. 

I was thinking about that yesterday morning and asked myself just what I planned on doing this season.  I basically arrived at this conclusion:  I can't bring myself to actively root against them.  Not when they have players like Frank Gore, Anquan Boldin, Patrick Willis, and Vernon Davis, who I really admire a great deal.  Despite how sick I am over the way the front office has conducted itself, I can't root against guys like those as long as they are playing for the team.  But I have no interest in rooting for that team right now either. 

And then I got the news just a few minutes later that Gore and Willis were off the table.  Is that management's fault?  Maybe not directly.  Guys retire or move on to other teams all the time.  That is even true of guys who are the kind of cornerstone players that Gore and Willis are.  But while I can't begin to know their motives, I do know that for those types of cornerstone players, and for players that have exhibited the kind of character that those two have, it is unusual to voluntarily move on if there is player buy-in that their team is still trying to build something worthwhile.  I don't think there is any confidence in the locker room whatsoever that that is the case.  But even if I am wrong about that, the fact still remains that two of the four reasons I had to root for this team in the face of PLENTY of reasons to not root for them are now gone.

Where does that leave me?  Not sure.  But I really cannot consider myself a 49er fan at this point.  I am a fan of a few remaining players.  And I am a fan of the memories I have.  But the front office has poisoned this team for me by the way they have conducted themselves since taking over.  As with a lot of other fans, when they brought Harbaugh in and began paying lip service to "higher standards" and "turning things around," I was willing to buy in and forgive a lot of their prior conduct.  But they have again revealed who they really are, and I can't get behind and be a fan of that.  I can't literally hold them "accountable" as York suggested.  But I'm not interested in buying what they are selling.  And I'm finding a new team to get behind as a result.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: March 10, 2015, 06:01:49 PM »
I hear what your saying Bosky.  Growing up a LA Ram fan, Georgia tried her best to destroy that love.  When the Rams moved I vowed to be a Jacksonville fan (they were an expansion team that year).  Try as I might though, I still found myself rooting for the Rams, even though they were the 2nd worst team of the 90's.  I finally came to the realization that for me ... the Team comes first, screw the owners.  I'm a Rams fan... not a Frontiere, or now Kronke fan.  My father on the other hand, who had been a Rams fan since they moved to LA in '46, disowned them.  His loathing for Georgia and John Shaw was so bad that he couldn't get past it.  So, I understand where you're at... I guess you have to ask yourself which category you fall into?  Team...or owner.  I wish you the best inwhatever you decide.  That being said... you need to stay a Niners fan so I can razz you yearly  :tup

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #110 on: March 10, 2015, 06:06:27 PM »
I have been able to keep it separated.  But the problem is, the character of the ownership has permeated the character of the players and coaches, so how can I fall on the "team" side?  For now, I can't. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #111 on: March 10, 2015, 06:08:39 PM »
Bosk turns on the 49ers organization.
Yeah, it's actually quite refreshing when you ditch a hometown team. In my case it was actually the players that turned me off of the Cowboys. Rolling over on [fairly bad head coach] Wade Phillips really disgusted me and I went from being a lifelong fan to somebody who just wanted them all to go away. They now have a few guys that I like and that I can root for, but overall I still don't give a damn about the team. Fortunately I was already a Patriot fan so I could pretty much just go all in with them. Maybe some day they'll offend me and I'll pick another team; who knows? The point is that figuring out that you don't have to root for the same team you always have is liberating.

You'll also find some added benefits. Rather than watching the local game every Sunday you can watch whatever the best game at that start time is. Would you honestly rather watch GB play NE or watch SF in some yawner against Jacksonville? You might also find you shed some baggage. As a Cowboys fan you're expected to hate SF, WAS, Phili and NYG. At this point I bare no ill will towards 3 of those clubs and the Phili exception has more to do with them being a bunch of worthless shitbags than their past rivalry with Dallas.

So yeah, pick a team and root for them because you like them, not because you're supposed to or because you always have before.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: March 10, 2015, 06:21:06 PM »
I have been able to keep it separated.  But the problem is, the character of the ownership has permeated the character of the players and coaches, so how can I fall on the "team" side?  For now, I can't.

I guess I'm just a masochist.... :lol  I just keep enduring...and enduring.... Time will pass, hopefully things in the organization will change for you.  Hey!  You can be a Rams fan, they'll be back in LA in 2016 ;)

Offline dparrott

« Reply #113 on: March 10, 2015, 06:38:05 PM »
You can be a Rams fan, they'll be back in LA in 2016 ;)

Yea, you keep holding on to that pipe dream.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #114 on: March 10, 2015, 07:15:50 PM »
Interesting move by the Seahawks.  I knew they would be going after a big receiver...but Jimmy Graham was completely unexpected.    And you know what?   Jon Carlson said today on ESPN that with money freed up by trading Unger?  Andre Johnson may still be a viable acquisition.    Can you imagine?   Russell Wilson, Marshawn Lynch, Jimmy Graham...and possibly Andre Johnson?   

I wonder if you can make that work with no offensive line to speak of?   Because we didn't just lose Unger...we let another major O-Line guy get away today to.  (to the Jets I think?)   

I have no idea if that's gonna work.   If Lynch has no blocking and Wilson has no pass protection, the talent in the field may not matter. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #115 on: March 10, 2015, 07:17:59 PM »
Revis back to the Jets.  WTF!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #116 on: March 10, 2015, 07:25:23 PM »
Like I said elsewhere, I"m happy either way. If he wanted to take the whore route than so be it. If he wanted to stay with a good club then great. Revis has made a fortune in the NFL already. If his sole concern is what would be, in the grand scheme of things, a marginal amount of extra money then good riddance. And the really good news is that the Jets are still so far away from being competitive that his presence there will mostly be wasted. It's not like they were one great DB away from championship form. He'll make a couple of million more a year playing for a losing team. Hell, at least Welker went to a decent team, and I felt the same way about him.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jammindude

« Reply #117 on: March 10, 2015, 07:28:16 PM »
One more thing that concerns me.   The Seahawks have already established that they DON'T CARE how good you are or how many cereal boxes you can get on....if you're not a team player....goodbye. 

One of the things Pete Carroll says over and over again is that NO ONE is a guarantee to start.   Basically, when Graham reports to camp, he will have to actually compete for his starting job...it will not be handed to him.    I have no doubt that he can win it without too much of a sweat.   I'm only trying to make a point that PC's attitude is one of, "the only people that are here, are people who want to be here. And put the team above themselves."     Very college "team spirit" "rah rah".   And not everyone works well in that environment.     I'm hearing rumblings from a few different sources that Jimmy can be a bit egocentric.   That, combined with the fact that no Seahawks had more that 66 Receptions last year (Graham is used to between 85-100 for each of the last 4 years....he's *NOT* going to get that in Seattle).   He's not a blocker.   I don't know...I've just got a bit of a bad feeling about this one the more I think about it.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #118 on: March 10, 2015, 07:45:33 PM »
Like I said elsewhere, I"m happy either way. If he wanted to take the whore route than so be it. If he wanted to stay with a good club then great. Revis has made a fortune in the NFL already. If his sole concern is what would be, in the grand scheme of things, a marginal amount of extra money then good riddance. And the really good news is that the Jets are still so far away from being competitive that his presence there will mostly be wasted. It's not like they were one great DB away from championship form. He'll make a couple of million more a year playing for a losing team. Hell, at least Welker went to a decent team, and I felt the same way about him.

While I'm happy he went to a team going nowhere,  my angst is that, while the Pats are always competitive,  you need balance on both sides of the ball to win.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #119 on: March 10, 2015, 07:57:57 PM »
One more thing that concerns me.   The Seahawks have already established that they DON'T CARE how good you are or how many cereal boxes you can get on....if you're not a team player....goodbye. 

One of the things Pete Carroll says over and over again is that NO ONE is a guarantee to start.   Basically, when Graham reports to camp, he will have to actually compete for his starting job...it will not be handed to him.    I have no doubt that he can win it without too much of a sweat.   I'm only trying to make a point that PC's attitude is one of, "the only people that are here, are people who want to be here. And put the team above themselves."     Very college "team spirit" "rah rah".   And not everyone works well in that environment.    I'm hearing rumblings from a few different sources that Jimmy can be a bit egocentric.   That, combined with the fact that no Seahawks had more that 66 Receptions last year (Graham is used to between 85-100 for each of the last 4 years....he's *NOT* going to get that in Seattle).   He's not a blocker.   I don't know...I've just got a bit of a bad feeling about this one the more I think about it.

Because egocentric players are a bad fit on the Seahawks?  You do realize Richard Sherman is still a Seahawk, right? :biggrin: :lol

Also, no receiver had more than 66 catches on Seattle last year because none of them are even close to as good as Graham. 

Offline Skeever

« Reply #120 on: March 10, 2015, 08:01:59 PM »
There's no such thing as a team "so far away from being competitive" in the NFL. That's just very silly.  Only a few teams in the NFL are so poorly managed that they aren't in the playoff runnings every few years. The Jets have an entirely new regime so we'll have to wait and see what they do, but it seems like they are making a lot of good moves.

And yes, Revis would be a good move, and btw Revis has been a "whore" for a longtime, if making decisions that are best for yourself is considered "whoring" these days. Fact is Jets should have paid him what he wanted back then; he was the only guy on the roster that deserved to get paid, and apparently he was also the only guy they couldn't pay.

Offline Cable

« Reply #121 on: March 10, 2015, 09:16:26 PM »
So long Revis! Thanks for the year, and the help with SB. You still are about the money (not surprised), and most likely that was your first and last SB. You went back to your old team for a smidge less money per year and/or guaranteed bucks than the other two elite corners got.
---

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #122 on: March 10, 2015, 10:07:58 PM »
And yes, Revis would be a good move, and btw Revis has been a "whore" for a longtime, if making decisions that are best for yourself is considered "whoring" these days. Fact is Jets should have paid him what he wanted back then; he was the only guy on the roster that deserved to get paid, and apparently he was also the only guy they couldn't pay.
If what's best for you is the most money you can get to the exclusion of other things that pretty much makes you a whore in my book. As of today the guy's made 85.2 million in the NFL. The Jets have given him a very nice contract, but it's not like the Patriots were only willing to pay the veteran minimum or anything. In the mean time he's leaving a team that's played in half of the superbowls since 2002 to go to a team with a monumental history of sucking ass. I'm sure he does see it as in his best interest, but that's only because he's a whore.

edite: Oh, and the contract is here :https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/darrelle-revis/
Essentially he'll make 33 mil over the next two years and another 6 is guaranteed for the third year (salary for that year is 15 if they retain him).
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 10:15:59 PM by El Barto »
E.F. Benson

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #123 on: March 10, 2015, 10:48:34 PM »
Bosk...no offense, but try growing up in Cincinnati. Then come whine about the 49ers. A team btw that is loathed in these parts for the two SB losses. I say, "Buck up and take it like a man." When your favorite hometown team becomes the worst franchise in SPORTS history, then come back and bring that weak-assed, "We miss Eddie D'" nonsense.

Wait until the team owner comes out publically and says that the SB is not the goal because it cost too much money to send his team to the game. Or when he hires the kid of a legendary coach (a kid who btw knows dick-squat about the game of football); and then when said coach falls flat on his face says in all sincerity that he hired him because, "He grew up in that household, so surely some of that greatness and knowledge rubbed off even if it was in passing." Then he refuses to fire him. When he finally does the kid becomes the kitchen manager of his lengedary coach/dads steakhouse.

Or believes that for the simple fact his team has made it to the playoffs for five consecutive seasons that its now an elite team; and refuses to let the coach go now. Name any other sport that keeps its coach after going 0-5 in the playoffs.

Try growing up here and for nearly 25 years of your life wherever you travel in this great nation of ours people personally ridicule and chastise you because of the Bengals, when they learn your from Cincinnati. No matter the time of year, or the setting. Even if you're not even discussing sports. And sometimes when a group of strangers is talking football, you lie and say you're from Chicago, knowing if you give full disclosure they'll pounce on you like sharks in a frenzy.

Or wait until the owner tells the media that as long as the fans have the promise of hope every year, thats what they really want because it sells tickets. And wait until he peddles more "hope" every year than Joel Osteen.

Or until a few years ago the scouting department consisted of the owner, his daughter, her attorney husband, the owners two brothers (who never played football on any level), and a one-eyed Director of Player Personnel who used to cut the grass for the owners lengendary/coach father; because as we know now apparently just being around greatness is enough to make you at least qualified because, you know, it rubs off apparently.

Then come cry about the Niners and I'll teach you how to do it properly and we can discuss the best anti-depressants to take during football season!!

Until then, Go Vikings!!  :biggrin:

You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #124 on: March 10, 2015, 11:08:07 PM »
I'm so happy with what the Bills have done this offseason so far.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #125 on: March 10, 2015, 11:28:57 PM »

One of the things Pete Carroll says over and over again is that NO ONE is a guarantee to start.   Basically, when Graham reports to camp, he will have to actually compete for his starting job...it will not be handed to him.    I have no doubt that he can win it without too much of a sweat.   I'm only trying to make a point that PC's attitude is one of, "the only people that are here, are people who want to be here. And put the team above themselves."     Very college "team spirit" "rah rah".   And not everyone works well in that environment.    I'm hearing rumblings from a few different sources that Jimmy can be a bit egocentric.   That, combined with the fact that no Seahawks had more that 66 Receptions last year (Graham is used to between 85-100 for each of the last 4 years....he's *NOT* going to get that in Seattle).   He's not a blocker.   I don't know...I've just got a bit of a bad feeling about this one the more I think about it.

Because egocentric players are a bad fit on the Seahawks?  You do realize Richard Sherman is still a Seahawk, right? :biggrin: :lol

Also, no receiver had more than 66 catches on Seattle last year because none of them are even close to as good as Graham.

Sherman may have a big mouth sometimes....but you do realize that he was offered the cover of SI...the sole cover of SI..., and refused to do it unless the ENTIRE LOB could do it with him.   This is a reflection of the attitude of the entire team.   Even if you feel you are the best...you would be NO ONE without everyone else. 

Sherman isn't immune.  He has to prove himself in training camp every year.   And he LOVES it.   Some guys thrive on always having to prove themselves...others think they've already proved it.    Sherman is the former.   Not sure which one Graham is yet.   

Harvin is proof that the Seahawks are never willing to put talent above team spirit.    And the difference between Sherman and Harvin is that Sherman's ego FEEDS his teammates.   Harvin's divided his teammates.   That's not a small detail.

EDIT:  Remember also that while Wilson is a great "field general"....he's not Drew Brees.    The Seahawks are a "run first" offense.   Jimmy will NOT be catching 90 passes in Seattle.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #126 on: March 11, 2015, 12:08:08 AM »
Bosk...no offense, but try growing up in Cincinnati.

Tempus, try being a Raiders fan.  Tied for 2nd for longest playoff drought behind Bills.  Hopefully that will end this year.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #127 on: March 11, 2015, 04:37:41 AM »
If what's best for you is the most money you can get to the exclusion of other things that pretty much makes you a whore in my book. As of today the guy's made 85.2 million in the NFL. The Jets have given him a very nice contract, but it's not like the Patriots were only willing to pay the veteran minimum or anything. In the mean time he's leaving a team that's played in half of the superbowls since 2002 to go to a team with a monumental history of sucking ass. I'm sure he does see it as in his best interest, but that's only because he's a whore.

edite: Oh, and the contract is here :https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/darrelle-revis/
Essentially he'll make 33 mil over the next two years and another 6 is guaranteed for the third year (salary for that year is 15 if they retain him).

That's a nice contract for Revis. It's not ridiculous, but not a steal for the Jets either. The Jets have overpaid to lock him up longer term, but that's the risk you run in free agency. Thanks to Idzik sitting on his hands for two years, no way the Jets will spend to the cap without taking a few chances in FA. I'm sorry you just seem to be really hung up / burnt over the whole thing. Revis is one of my favorite players in the league.

You seem to be lacking some perspective for parity in the NFL. Teams are bad, and get good, and sometimes it only takes a year's difference. I'm sure Revis thinks he can help the Jets succeed 1.) because the Jets are under new management and already have superstars on both sides of the ball (when was the last time you could say that?)  2.) because his record as a Jet is probably well over .500. (OK, I'm a nerd, so I checked. Jets 2007-2011 are 41-39 with 2 deep playoff runs - not exactly "monumental sucking" - certainly not the last 10 years of the Raiders, or first 20 years of the Pats levels of sucking).

Teams ebb and flow pretty quickly in the NFL. Teams that are great for an extended period of time are rare, and the fact is the entire AFC East have run up against the buzzsaw that is Brady/Bllichick. Fortunately, there are only a few more years left in Brady, while all the other teams in the AFC East seem to be making big improvements. Of course, I don't expect a guy who ditched the 90s Cowboys for the 00s Patriots to understand parity in the NFL, and waiting out the storm for your team. And I'm not going to spend a whole lot more time debating this, because if the wheels do fall off for the Patriots over the next few years, I won't even get to rub it in, since you'll just have moved on to whatever the next NFL dynasty is. I don't blame you: sports are weird. Some people just like to know they're going to see a winner.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #128 on: March 11, 2015, 04:42:48 AM »

Sherman may have a big mouth sometimes....but you do realize that he was offered the cover of SI...the sole cover of SI..., and refused to do it unless the ENTIRE LOB could do it with him.   This is a reflection of the attitude of the entire team.   Even if you feel you are the best...you would be NO ONE without everyone else. 

Sherman isn't immune.  He has to prove himself in training camp every year.   And he LOVES it.   Some guys thrive on always having to prove themselves...others think they've already proved it.    Sherman is the former.   Not sure which one Graham is yet.   

Harvin is proof that the Seahawks are never willing to put talent above team spirit.    And the difference between Sherman and Harvin is that Sherman's ego FEEDS his teammates.   Harvin's divided his teammates.   That's not a small detail.

EDIT:  Remember also that while Wilson is a great "field general"....he's not Drew Brees.    The Seahawks are a "run first" offense.   Jimmy will NOT be catching 90 passes in Seattle.

Maybe not, but the bums Seattle had at TE last year collectively caught almost 70 balls, so if Graham gets most of those next year plus a bunch more, since why would you not throw to him, 80+ is more than realistic.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #129 on: March 11, 2015, 04:45:18 AM »
Plus, they aren't that that dumb as to trade for a player this good and not use him as much as possible.  Teams adapt.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #130 on: March 11, 2015, 04:54:27 AM »
Not seeing much here so, are the Eagles nuts?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #131 on: March 11, 2015, 07:53:15 AM »
Yeah, it looks that way.

bosky, sorry to hear all that.  I've come close a couple of times with the Panthers, but the difference, I suppose, is that I have a lot of faith in owner Jerry Richardson.  He is a good man with nothing but love for this area, and a deep passion for football rooted in his time playing in the NFL with Johnny Unitas and the Colts. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #132 on: March 11, 2015, 08:46:45 AM »
Bosk...no offense, but try growing up in Cincinnati. Then come whine about the 49ers. A team btw that is loathed in these parts for the two SB losses. I say, "Buck up and take it like a man." When your favorite hometown team becomes the worst franchise in SPORTS history, then come back and bring that weak-assed, "We miss Eddie D'" nonsense.

Hey, I'm not saying fans of other teams may not have it worse.  I'm just sharing where I am personally.  And it's not about being "the worst."  Obviously, it is more fun when you team is winning championships than when they are dead last.  But that being said, I wouldn't bail on a team just because they are no good.  That isn't what this is about at all.  If you think it is, I think you missed the point of what I posted.

bosky, sorry to hear all that.  I've come close a couple of times with the Panthers, but the difference, I suppose, is that I have a lot of faith in owner Jerry Richardson.  He is a good man with nothing but love for this area, and a deep passion for football rooted in his time playing in the NFL with Johnny Unitas and the Colts. 

And that makes all the difference in the world.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #133 on: March 11, 2015, 09:07:34 AM »
Teams ebb and flow pretty quickly in the NFL. Teams that are great for an extended period of time are rare, and the fact is the entire AFC East have run up against the buzzsaw that is Brady/Bllichick. Fortunately, there are only a few more years left in Brady, while all the other teams in the AFC East seem to be making big improvements. Of course, I don't expect a guy who ditched the 90s Cowboys for the 00s Patriots to understand parity in the NFL, and waiting out the storm for your team. And I'm not going to spend a whole lot more time debating this, because if the wheels do fall off for the Patriots over the next few years, I won't even get to rub it in, since you'll just have moved on to whatever the next NFL dynasty is. I don't blame you: sports are weird. Some people just like to know they're going to see a winner.
Actually, I ditched the 2010 Cowboys, and technically speaking that would include the 80's Cowboys, as well. I've got no problem rooting for a bad team. Moreover, a great chunk of my fondness for NE is Belichick. I suspect that as long as he's the coach I'll be a fan, and depending on whether or not he grooms a successor perhaps longer. Kraft is another base of my support, so we'll see. The reason I ditched Dallas is because they're a joke of an organization, a point I've described in detail many times, not because they sucked.

As for the Jets, as you might have noticed the odds of bringing in new management that kicks ass are against you. Keep in mind that half the teams in the NFL suck. Sixteen teams were .500 or worse and you see coaches and GMs sacked every year. Maybe the Jets did well and will prosper, but it's just as likely that they saddled themselves with more poor management. Either way they're rebuilding right now and without some real inspiration that usually takes a couple of years. Particularly when you're starting out with Geno Smith as your QB.
E.F. Benson

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #134 on: March 11, 2015, 10:44:12 AM »
Still trying to figure out how Sam Bradford, with his flimsy knees and 12M salary, was worth Foles, 5th, and 2nd. No matter how I look at it it makes no sense.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #135 on: March 11, 2015, 03:45:37 PM »

Hey, I'm not saying fans of other teams may not have it worse.  I'm just sharing where I am personally.  And it's not about being "the worst."  Obviously, it is more fun when you team is winning championships than when they are dead last.  But that being said, I wouldn't bail on a team just because they are no good.  That isn't what this is about at all.  If you think it is, I think you missed the point.....

No...I was just busting your balls.  :biggrin:
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: March 11, 2015, 11:12:15 PM »
Still trying to figure out how Sam Bradford, with his flimsy knees and 12M salary, was worth Foles, 5th, and 2nd. No matter how I look at it it makes no sense.

I'll take that deal.... ;D  Free's up a lot of cap room to fix the O-line... hopefully..

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #137 on: March 12, 2015, 06:22:58 AM »
Bosk turns on the 49ers organization.
Yeah, it's actually quite refreshing when you ditch a hometown team. In my case it was actually the players that turned me off of the Cowboys. Rolling over on [fairly bad head coach] Wade Phillips really disgusted me and I went from being a lifelong fan to somebody who just wanted them all to go away. They now have a few guys that I like and that I can root for, but overall I still don't give a damn about the team. Fortunately I was already a Patriot fan so I could pretty much just go all in with them. Maybe some day they'll offend me and I'll pick another team; who knows? The point is that figuring out that you don't have to root for the same team you always have is liberating.

You'll also find some added benefits. Rather than watching the local game every Sunday you can watch whatever the best game at that start time is. Would you honestly rather watch GB play NE or watch SF in some yawner against Jacksonville? You might also find you shed some baggage. As a Cowboys fan you're expected to hate SF, WAS, Phili and NYG. At this point I bare no ill will towards 3 of those clubs and the Phili exception has more to do with them being a bunch of worthless shitbags than their past rivalry with Dallas.

So yeah, pick a team and root for them because you like them, not because you're supposed to or because you always have before.

Bosk, I'm sure Bart will save you a seat next to him on the Patriots bandwagon! ;D

Oh, and I also love Vernon Davis.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: March 12, 2015, 08:07:30 AM »
I hate too admit it....but Sam actually looks good in Eagles green..........

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #139 on: March 12, 2015, 08:14:27 AM »

Not nearly as nuts as DeMarco Murray will be if he decides to play there.  :lol  Also, if he has dollar signs in his eyes, he might go to Oakland and then he'd be even more nuts.   :\
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White