Author Topic: NFL Thread 2015 v. Please make deflategate posts in the thread named for it  (Read 252321 times)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Pats: Do they have enough left in the tank for #5? If they get it, how does their run compare to the 9ers' 1981-98 era?

Seahawks: Will they make it to three straight SBs?

Broncos: Temporary setback for Peyton or is he really over the hill? Will the new coach work out?

Packers: They're resilient but keep coming up a tad short each year for various reasons. Are they on their way to their second title this era?

Colts: It's fucking crazy what Luck's accomplished with these dregs. Is he good enough to drag this corpse across the finish line or is he stuck until he gets more pieces?

Ravens: Came so close to the AFC CG. Flacco's maturation is helping them really become a balanced team too. As long as they can make it out of their tough division, expect big things.

Cowboys: miraculously righted their ship in the most unexpected of years. Given Romo's injury history, he's down to maybe four more good years. With the emergence of Demarco Murray and Dez Bryant, there really is no excuse for them not being in the NFC CG at least one or twice in the next four years.

Eagles: Such a choke job last year. Chip Kelly's ingenuity seems to be either getting figured out completely by the rest of the NFL or he's just in need of the right piece to implement his system. Does Marcus Mariota help him accomplish this if he succeeds in drafting him?

Cardinals: Carson Palmer's a huge question mark. Do they have ANY chance of succeeding with an unsure QB situation?

Steelers: Was Ben's 12 TDs in 2 games thing an aberration or is he becoming a dude that can carry the team?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 07:14:44 PM by black_floyd »
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
Re: NFL Thread 2015 v. Doug Flutie 4eva
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 05:29:56 PM »
I hope the Packers use that loss to the Seahawks as extra fuel to get into the Superbowl. GO PACK GO!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 05:30:32 PM »
Fuck Doug Flutie!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 06:31:56 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 07:37:19 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 10:42:47 AM »
For the Patriots it's just a matter of keeping key palyers around. They'll franchise McCourty but whether or not they can pay for Revis is tough. Losing Ridley isn't a concern, but keeping Shane Vereen around definitely is. They can replace a pass catcher or maybe two, but as we've seen it takes time to build up the all important comfort level. I don't think you want to lose Amendola and Vereen the same year (and Vereen is more important). I'll also be curious to see if they cut Wilfork; probably the time to do it.

My prediction for the Cowboys remains unchanged; franchise Dez to see if he can actually get his act together, jettison Murray and cut a deal with Minnesota for AP. Make that deal and draft a pass rusher and they're a powerhouse in the NFC. 

Manning might well come out looking to prove something, and if so he'll play like a man possessed. Or maybe he's done; who knows?

Seattle is done.

Green Bay, Pittsburgh and Baltimore retain their status as perennial contenders that rarely mange to take the final step.

It remains to be seen if Chip Kelly gets the right QB.

SF will rebound just enough to give the fans hope; probably their worst case scenario.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 10:51:11 AM »
Bart, the talk around here is that the 20 mil option is a place card to continue negotiations with Revis.  One way or another it sounds like they will have him next year.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 11:00:08 AM »
Bart, the talk around here is that the 20 mil option is a place card to continue negotiations with Revis.  One way or another it sounds like they will have him next year.
Revis strikes me as the sort of guy that's more interested in a[nother] ring than being the highest paid. I could certainly see him restructuring, however I wasn't sure if that was even an option. I thought they might be on the hook for the 20 if he stayed.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 11:09:18 AM »
His emotion with his family after they won the SB makes me think like he'll stay.  They still have to pay him though.  He's worth every penny.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 11:30:35 AM »
His emotion with his family after they won the SB makes me think like he'll stay.  They still have to pay him though.  He's worth every penny.
Oh, they have to pay him and he absolutely deserves it. I'm just thinking that he's not going to be one of those types that gets bent out of shape because they offer him 15 and he wants 15.25 (COUGHweswelkerCOUGH). The dude's already banked well over 50 million, and I'm guessing those rings are more important to him than dollars and cents, or pride money.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 12:28:52 PM »
For the Patriots it's just a matter of keeping key palyers around. They'll franchise McCourty but whether or not they can pay for Revis is tough. Losing Ridley isn't a concern, but keeping Shane Vereen around definitely is. They can replace a pass catcher or maybe two, but as we've seen it takes time to build up the all important comfort level. I don't think you want to lose Amendola and Vereen the same year (and Vereen is more important). I'll also be curious to see if they cut Wilfork; probably the time to do it.
Franchising McCourty means paying him 9 mil next year. He made 4.5 this year. I cannot see them paying him that. He will sign a multi year deal.
They won't cut Amendola THIS off season because moneywise, the hit is the same whether he gets cut or not. Now next season, the balance shifts.
I think they would love to keep Vereen, but he could be one of those guys that gets too large an offer somewhere else for the Pats to match.
Came out today that Wilfork hit all his incentives and made 8 mil this year. He's only 32 and had a good year.  I'd be shocked if he was cut.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, 12:58:05 PM »
I was of the impression that Amendola was an option player (or even FA). Didn't know he was still hooked up. And I'd certainly have no problem with hooking up McCourty long term. As for Wilfork, that was floated around as per Belichick's position that it's better to unload somebody too early rather than too late. Not sure what his contract situation is, but it's possible that he's got good trade value.

E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2015, 01:57:31 PM »
I heard them talking about Amendola yesterday on the radio. If I remember, he has three more years. It's set up so that if they cut him, the Cap and Money are basically the same as keeping him. With each passing year, the balance shifts.

Gostkowski is also up. There's talk about possibly Franchising him.

The other guy they have to make a decision on is Mayo. They just won a Super Bowl without him.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2015, 01:58:42 PM »
I dunno, I always liked Doug Flutie.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2015, 02:05:32 PM »
My prediction for the Cowboys remains unchanged; franchise Dez to see if he can actually get his act together, jettison Murray and cut a deal with Minnesota for AP. Make that deal and draft a pass rusher and they're a powerhouse in the NFC. 

What part of Dez's act does he need to get together outside of being one of the best receivers in football?  If you're talking about his slightly out of control, unbridled passion for the game, throwing money at him won't fix that problem.  I don't think Murray is for sale either and why would they get rid of him for AP?  DM has been even more instrumental in Dallas' success than DB.  Finding a way to keep those two together and staying under the cap is what they need to do.  Not easy, but possible.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2015, 02:31:09 PM »
Assuming you CANNOT pick the Patriots or Seahawks, what are your premature picks for next year's Super Bowl?

To me, the AFC comes down to the North or Indy (if we are leaving NE out of the picture).  Denver's future is too uncertain, and I don't see anyone else in the West being a serious contender.  Other than Indy in the South, I don't see anyone else there either.  And NE is the East.  So, I think I am going to have to go with Baltimore.  Despite their QB just being "adequate," he is a veteran and knows how to keep his team around, and once they are in the hunt, they always seem to find ways to make life difficult for other teams.

The NFC is a little harder.  Seattle is done.  I wish I could say that the 49ers were my pick.  They should be healthier for sure.  But I think free agency and cap issues are going to shake up the roster.  And the front office has made a complete mess of the coaching staff.  I have no faith that this team will be good for the forseeable future despite having one of the most promising QBs in the league and lots of other talent on both sides of the ball.  I think this is the year the Cardinals take the West.  In the East, I think the Cowboys will build on what they did this year.  Green Bay will find a way to take the North.  The South...eh, whatever.  My heart tells me Arizona, even though my head tells me Dallas.  I'm going with Arizona.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 02:36:22 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2015, 02:34:49 PM »
Seattle is done.

Elaborate? I do not see another SB appearance next year, but there isn't a reason we can't have a Patriots-type situation for the long-term: Quality GM/Coach team with young talented QB in place for years, owner committing to winning and spending money, hopefully some gems in the later rounds of the draft. Plus, the Niners are no longer a concern, and the Cards and Rams aren't going to take over the division.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2015, 03:47:09 PM »
I still look at the Ravens as the team in the AFC that is tough and can beat anybody.

NFC, GB.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2015, 03:58:16 PM »
I'm hoping the Bills surprise people in 2015, I think there's good hope for that  :)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2015, 04:07:16 PM »
They've got a very good D but they need a QB.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2015, 04:10:12 PM »
They've got a very good D but they need a QB.
I think people need to see what EJ can do with an O-line that doesn't suck, which the Bills are currently addressing. If he's a bust then he's a bust but between Marrone's bad coaching and a bad o-line I'm not ready to give up on EJ just yet.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2015, 04:23:42 PM »
Absolutely.  This is his third year so if he doesn't produce then they need to be aggressive in finding a new QB.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2015, 04:34:04 PM »
Yeah, I really do want to see EJ succeed though, he seems to really care about being the best he can be and doesn't attract any bad media which is nice. No way he lasts long enough in the draft for the Bills but I'd love to see them somehow get Brent Hundley.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2015, 04:47:46 PM »
Rex Ryan isn't exactly someone who cares about good QB play, so get ready for the Bills to play great D and run the ball all day. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2015, 07:47:41 PM »
I'll check in after the Giants win the World Series again. :GiantsMetal:

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2015, 07:52:49 PM »
So October 2016?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2015, 08:38:46 PM »

What part of Dez's act does he need to get together outside of being one of the best receivers in football?  If you're talking about his slightly out of control, unbridled passion for the game, throwing money at him won't fix that problem.  I don't think Murray is for sale either and why would they get rid of him for AP?  DM has been even more instrumental in Dallas' success than DB.  Finding a way to keep those two together and staying under the cap is what they need to do.  Not easy, but possible.
It's Dez's off the field act that has people worried. The Cowboys apparently have to put forth a good amount of effort to keep him out of trouble, and there is concern that if they suddenly throw 100 million dollars at him he'll become uncontrollable. I'm right there with you that he's an elite receiver and I'm a fan of his on the field behavior (including screaming at teammates), but there have always been concerns about him out in the real world and it seems the Cowboys definitely share those worries. I gather that it's not that they don't want to commit to him, but rather they don't want to clow up his ego and attitude in the processes.

Seattle is done.

Elaborate? I do not see another SB appearance next year, but there isn't a reason we can't have a Patriots-type situation for the long-term: Quality GM/Coach team with young talented QB in place for years, owner committing to winning and spending money, hopefully some gems in the later rounds of the draft. Plus, the Niners are no longer a concern, and the Cards and Rams aren't going to take over the division.
I have the same hunch about them that I did with SF last year. I don't think that's a healthy locker room, and I think once they make RW the highest paid player in the league things are only going to get worse. I also think the continued bitching about Pete Carrol's Superb Owl call (unfounded, IMO) will linger for quite some time.
E.F. Benson

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2015, 08:54:00 PM »
If RW becomes the highest paid player ever then he's definitely the luckiest player ever for being on the right team at the right time.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2015, 09:01:37 PM »
Sports radio talks about it a bit.   But cooler heads have prevailed locally.   Everyone I've talked to has pretty much come around that it wasn't really a bad play call. 

So no.  I disagree.   There is no "bad call that will haunt him".    If you hear it, it's simply a media fabrication for dramatic effect only. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2015, 09:04:52 PM »
Sports radio talks about it a bit.   But cooler heads have prevailed locally.   Everyone I've talked to has pretty much come around that it wasn't really a bad play call. 

So no.  I disagree.   There is no "bad call that will haunt him".    If you hear it, it's simply a media fabrication for dramatic effect only.
I certainly agree about the call which is why I've defended it. But what's important is how the team feels about it, and I get the impression they're not happy. Moreover, what really matters is how Marshawn feels about it, since he seems to be the voice of the locker room.
E.F. Benson

Offline jammindude

« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2015, 09:10:55 PM »
Well Russell Wilson has spoken out in defense of the call, and I think he is looked up to as well.   We'll see how it shakes out, but if there's one thing that everyone on the team has seen with their own eyes, it's that they struggle when they divide, and they are capable of anything when they put aside their differences.   Without implicating Harvin implicitly, most of the Seahawks have hinted that it was a huge turning point with the team.    They have all acknowledged that no matter what their differences might be, they can win if they put it all aside and look out for each other.    This is the mantra of the current locker room.   (though I do not know what may happen in the off-season)

"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2015, 09:24:17 PM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2015, 03:06:38 PM »
Assuming you CANNOT pick the Patriots or Seahawks, what are your premature picks for next year's Super Bowl?

Ravens/Packers

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2015, 04:42:04 PM »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2015, 06:39:46 AM »
I can't think of any way to make orange and brown look good.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.