Author Topic: Travelling by Campervan in NZ  (Read 798 times)

Offline Jarlaxle

Travelling by Campervan in NZ
« on: February 07, 2015, 10:44:25 PM »
Hey, looking for some advice from any local New Zealanders, or from anybody who has bought or rented a campervan in NZ. I am in NZ now, working in the northland at a golf course for the next 3 months, and then in early May my girlfriend is joining me and we are planning on renting/buying a campervan and travelling around both islands for 3 months. I've learned that the rules regarding parking your van anyhwere for a night have changed, and has thus became virtually impossible.

We are leaning towards renting, we can get one for 3 months with no toilet or shower (but with a sink and cooking area) for just over $2000. My worry for buying is getting a lemon obviously, but being able to sell it when I leave during the winter at the end of July. So with the idea of renting in mind, I realized that you basically have to get a space at a holiday park everynight to park your van, costing anywhere from $5-20 each per night, which seems ridiculous to me since that will almost double our cost. Any thoughts?

Also, since we will be travelling the south island in the winter, will we be warm enough (we are from Canada) with a small heater and a bunch of blankets? I'm starting to become discouraged at the cost and hassle a campervan will be, but will take any advice or ideas that anybody has.

And if you have been to NZ before, recommend me some places to see, since we will have 3 months we hope to see as much as possible.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

Re: Travelling by Campervan in NZ
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 03:57:07 AM »
I can't really comment on the campervan situation, I've spent fairly little time there in the last 5 years, I've never really travelled as such in NZ and I don't drive.

The South Island in winter is pretty cold. You might not think it if you're in Northland (the warmest part of the country) in the summer (and I hear it's been a warm summer by NZ standards). Temperatures will range from -10 to 10. You'll see a lot of snow and rain, and there's a good chance there'll be at least one or two 4-7 day snowstorms across most of the island. But if you're from Canada, I can't imagine it'll be anything you can't deal with. On top of blankets and a heater, if you don't have them, stock up on thermals. And I studied in the very south, and was inseparable from my hot water bottle for four or five months of the year. Do what you think you'd personally do to weather those temperatures in Canada and you should be fine.

In three months, you could probably see most of New Zealand twice.

One thing I will say about places to see and things to do, in case it isn't a no brainer: CHECK PRICES. I get the impression New Zealand can be done for pretty cheap if you're careful, but I've seen prices for tourism that are completely unimaginable. The industry knows you've probably come thousands of kilometres out of your way to be there, so a lot of places charge whatever they want, because if you've come all that way to do it, you'll pay almost anything. It costs 12 euro to see the Colosseum, the Roman Forum and Palatinate Hill. It costs the equivalent of 52 euro to see Hobbiton. Things like bungee jumping in Queenstown, glacier walks on Franz Josef, kayak hire and boat rides in the Milford Sound - I have no idea what they cost, and I wouldn't even like to guess. Basically, research prices, and pick and choose carefully.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 01:43:42 PM »
I have begun to really delve into fly fishing the last couple of years. Going back several years now I have been on dozens of trips from Patagonia to the Amazon; BC to NC; and Colorado and Alaska to Montana and the Gulf of Mexico, and all points in between. I even fished the River and Loch Ness a couple of years ago. But I actually started to really get into it this past year.  :lol Last month I did some man-shop work, and I have even set up a room in our basement now dedicated to my fly-tying obsession. I have a pretty awesome workshop set-up now. One of my many distractions. At any rate, I want to fly-fish in NZ so badly that it hurts!! I may actually book a trip next fall. If you get to fly fish at all on your trip, please let me know about it. I'm headed to Iceland, and then to St Johns, and later Manicouagan Crater Lake this summer first. But I cannot wait to get to NZ. Sounds like it will be a great trip for you.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 03:08:54 AM »
How did I miss this thread.  Jarlaxle, are you still in NZ? How's it goin?

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 07:49:33 AM »
I couldn't tell you much about where to go, but you've got to get some L&P while you're there. It's amazing. Also, I've never had it, but all of my friends from New Zealand loved Cookie Time, so try that as well.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!