Author Topic: Scorpion's Roulette, The Third (Final Results)  (Read 17013 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Scorpion's Roulette, The Third (Round 5 Results)
« Reply #105 on: February 22, 2015, 02:19:41 PM »
Dammit. I was wondering if the repetition would bother you. I almost sent a Chicago or Tower Of Power tune. Oh well,  I'll will work on the instrumental
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: February 22, 2015, 06:11:00 PM »
Sent!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #107 on: February 22, 2015, 06:17:34 PM »
Wishbone Ash is exactly what I would have entered in a 70's themed round too, Argus is a great album  :heart

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #108 on: February 22, 2015, 09:18:14 PM »
Is there a lenght limit? 'Cause I have some long instrumentals, and one of them even lasts around 30 mins :lol.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #109 on: February 23, 2015, 01:00:41 AM »
Please don't go over... let's say 15 minutes.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: February 23, 2015, 04:34:14 PM »
It wasn't easy, but finally decided on a pretty obscure track, although the band made my top 50 :P. Sent.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #111 on: February 24, 2015, 12:05:54 AM »
50 Cent?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: February 24, 2015, 06:51:07 AM »
Eye sea what you did there.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #113 on: February 24, 2015, 07:31:29 AM »
Still missing Elite and mikemangioy. It'd be cool if I had those by tonight as well.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #114 on: February 24, 2015, 01:39:31 PM »
Sent
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #115 on: February 24, 2015, 04:11:58 PM »
Got everyone. Results Thursday night.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Scorpion's Roulette, The Third (Round 6 Results)
« Reply #116 on: February 26, 2015, 03:08:45 PM »
RESULTZ. This was the best round yet.

Shadow Ninja 2.0: Gordian Knot - Muttersprache

I've heard of this band, but I never checked them out. That said, I was pretty sure that this would be amazing - how can a band featuring Sean Malone on bass not be amazing? And I was right. This is pretty much a perfect instrumental - never self-indulgent, with a great groove, enough complexity and diversity to make you want to listen to it over and over again and musicianship that is out of this world. The calmer middle section with the astounding guitar build-up is one of the best things I've ever heard. Amazing submission. Anything less than full marks would be doing this a disservice. 10 points.

Tyrias: Russian Circles - Mladek

Ah, post-rock. I was expecting to get some. It's a genre that I love, but I have to be in the mood for, and it can slip into meandering very quickly, which is why I'm not a huge fan of some Godspeed songs, for example. However, I really dug this, it's little more busy than your average post-rock track, but still retains that atmosphere of grandiosity so unique to the genre. The guitars are really cool, especially that grooy riff that enters around the 5:15 mark, and I love how technical the drums get in parts while never detracting from the atmosphere of the song.

One thing I don't like here is that while this track is very grandiose, that it's not exactly subtle about it and while that can definitely work, it doesn't quite work as the song goes on, as there's not really anywhere left to go after the song already starts out so intense. This song either needs to be shorter or start out a little less busy to be truly effectful. Still great though, and I hope my ramblings my sense. I'm kinda drunk at the moment. :P 7.5 points.

kingshmegland: Bela Fleck & the Flecktones - Life Without Elvis

Bluegrass isn't really my thing. Jazz isn't either. So it was with trepadition that I listened to this, and unfortunately, the only thing it did for me was remind me of why I don't like either genre. Yeah, they can play. Cool. But the song just feels like a couple of dudes jamming out - which is cool, I envy their skill, but it's just not something that captivates me as a listener at all. This just feels like a bunch of licks, drum fills and cool melodies thrown into a blender without much thought put towards how the final product actually gels, and while the spontaneous nature probably appeals to tons of people, I'm not one of them. I wish I were. Sorry. 3.5 points.

senecadawg2: Clint Mansell - Death Is the Road to Awe

I've seen you send this song in other roulettes, and I don't think that it has ever netted you a bad score. Will I be the one to buck the trend? Oh hell no. This is a thing of beauty. Yes, it's repetitive. No, I do not care in the slightest. The build-up here is so perfectly executed that it gives me goosebumps every single time. Those strings are basically the best way strings can be used and the subtle piano and GAAAAAH I'm sorry this song is just so perfect that I have no idea what to say. 10 points.

Sacul: Ruined Machines - Karma In Remission

This is one of the few bands that I got in this roulette that I had never even heard of previously, but if this track is any indication of their work, then I will do my best to change that. With some heavy riffing and some subtle keyboards, they manage to create a groovy instrumental that doesn't rely on technicality to impress, but rather on some clever musical ideas and some creative songwriting. However, I'm not sure how necessary the acoustic part was - while it in itself is fine, it does feel little tacked on and unrelated what came before. I'm not a big fan of the drum sound either, but seeing that this album is available for free, I'd wager that they aren't a very well-established band yet, so it's hardly something that I can fault them for, and it doesn't detract from the listening experience too much. A solid submission, and I'll definitely be checking out their album. 8 points.

Elite: EXXASENS - Rocket to the Sky

More post-rock! It's shorter and more active than most post-rock, it actually kinda reminds of of God Is An Astronaut. Which is a good thing, because they play a brand of post-rock that I am definitely a fan of, but I kinda think that they are a little too close in sound the GIAA. Like, if you put this track on one of their albums, it wouldn't feel out of place, and while that's a testament to their quality, it also means that I am unlikely to seek this out actively if it offers so little that is original or different. Still a good song. 7 points.

mikemangioy: The Aristocrats - Blues Fuckers

While at first listen this was similar to the Bela Fleck tune, not so much in style but in how cohesive it was, further listens revealed that this is actually put together quite well. There's one central theme that is quite simple and immediately recognisable and that theme is played with a lot, but it always stays constant. What I really love here is how the drums manage to be the instrument that deviates from the theme the most, but the song never falls apart. Major props for that. The ending feels a little out of place, but as a whole, this song is quite good, though it's not something that I could listen to all the time. 6 points.

Standings:

senecadawg2: 52 points
Sacul: 48 points
Shadow Ninja 2.0: 47 points
Elite: 39.5 points
Tyrias: 39.5 points
kingshmegland: 38 points
mikemangioy: 35 points

And mike picks the theme again. Whoop-de-doo. Number 12 gives us the theme of folky stuff. Your best bet here would probably be folk metal, like Ensiferum or Wintersun - pure folk is something I rarely enjoy, though there are exceptions. As always, 48 hours and good luck. The new theme list is below.

1. Unusual Instrument (any instrument that is not guitar, drums, bass and keyboards counts)
2. No Drums
3. No Guitars
4. Over 10 Minutes
5. Awesome Solo (doesn't have to be guitar!)
6. Dark and Dreary
7. Upbeat and Lively
8. Female Vocals
9. Ballad
10. Insane Stuff
11. Live Song
12. 90s
13. 80s
14. Pre-70s

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #117 on: February 26, 2015, 03:28:39 PM »
I've gotta say- These results have me feeling pretty good about myself. I went back and forth and back and forth and back and forth again and again trying to decide between my choice and that Gordian Knot song. Love both of them, and I'm glad to see you did too!
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: February 26, 2015, 03:41:35 PM »
CAAAAAAAAARRRRRPPPPP

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: February 26, 2015, 04:25:42 PM »
Yeah, I was worried you felt the acoustic section was out of place, but it just helps to have a better flow into the following song. And is a one-guy project, actually. And I *think* none of the instruments are real recordings. Glad you liked it anyways - that album made my top 30.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: February 28, 2015, 04:40:29 AM »
Sent!

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #121 on: February 28, 2015, 05:03:23 AM »
Sent. Not really confident in my choice, but if it comes to the worst case at least I get to pick next rounds' theme :P.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #122 on: February 28, 2015, 06:31:02 AM »
Neat-o. Still need Elite and mikemangioy, then I can get down to do some listening.

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #123 on: February 28, 2015, 07:36:52 AM »
Sent

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #124 on: March 02, 2015, 05:21:11 AM »
Still haven't gotten Elite's song yet. I sent him a PM, but I'll start judging the other songs in the meantime. Results probably tomorrow night instead of today, sorry 'bout that.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #125 on: March 03, 2015, 09:40:37 AM »
Sweet :caffeine:

Did Elite ever send/are the results still to be expected later today?

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #126 on: March 03, 2015, 09:50:03 AM »
Yes, I did send :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: March 03, 2015, 01:36:29 PM »
I had some good premonitions about my previous entries, but I hope this one earns at least a 6 :lol . Damn mike, choose an easier theme :P .

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #128 on: March 03, 2015, 01:47:03 PM »
Damn mike, choose an easier theme :P .

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #129 on: March 03, 2015, 02:10:29 PM »
This folk round was actually the first one I felt really confident in. Thanks Mike!

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #130 on: March 03, 2015, 02:37:49 PM »
I wonder how many points deduction I get for stretching the boundaries of 'folk'.
Squ

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #131 on: March 03, 2015, 02:41:11 PM »
Results in about two hours.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Scorpion's Roulette, The Third (Round 7 Results)
« Reply #132 on: March 03, 2015, 03:26:36 PM »
FUCK TWO HOURS RESULTS NOW

Quite a good round, even though some people didn't really send folk at all, so the scores don't completely reflect my enjoyment of the songs.

Shadow Ninja 2.0: Blackmore's Night - Shadow of the Moon

I love Ritchie Blackmore, and I am fairly indifferent about Candice Night, so I had no idea whether I would like this. Luckily - for both you and me, I guess - I did. The guitar playing is very folky and quite awesome - though I would have no idea that it's Ritchie Blackmore if I didn't know, to be honest - and Night's voice fits the music very well. If there was one criticism that I'd have to level against this is that it has little replay value for me - even though it's a good song, I don't find myself wanting to listen to it very much. 7.5 points.

senecadawg2: Gallowbraid - Stone of Remembrance

Well, as I noticed immediately, you had taken my recommendation of folk metal to heart. And that's good, because I dig it. Some great melodies, the harsh and the cleans contrast nicely... on paper, this sounds like a really great song. But - and you knew there was a but coming - this is just lacking in originality for me. The melodies could have been lifted from an Ensiferum song, the feel of the song is a distinct mixture of Agalloch and Caladan Brood with approximately nothing that Gallowbraid himself brings to the table, the bagpipes had me wondering if this was a Grave Digger interlude, and so on. Derivativeness doesn't always lessen my enjoyment of songs, but it does here. I wish I could enjoy this more, but I'm just not feeling it. Sorry. :\ 5 points.

Sacul: Neutral Milk Hotel - Two-Headed Boy/The Fool

Okay, these were two songs. And if I had actually noticed this earlier, I would have rejected this, but I just had a cursory read over the band name, didn't know them, and didn't actually read the rest of your PM. :blush Anyway, because of this, I decided to roll with it, but please don't do it in the future - though in interest of fairness, everyone can send two songs in a future round, and I will average their scores - everyone except for Sacul.

Anyway, onto the songs. I actually know the first one - sort of. I know a cover of it, by The Dresden Dolls. And I prefer that in every sense. The piano on that works a lot better than the sorta pedestrian strummed guitar, and the voice here is just sorta annoying. I can see why people would dig it, but I don't. It works a little better in the calmer section, and it did grow on me, but I still don't quite like it, and I can't help comparing it to the cover, which has superior vocals.

"The Fool" doesn't really have anything to with "Two-Headed Boy" - it's a waltz with some brass instrument playing a melody that is kinda cool, but again, this is nothing that's really exciting. I have a hard time getting excited about anything that's basically just an ordinary waltz ever since dance school, and this is no exception. Not bad, but nothing I'd seek out either.

Both songs weren't bad, but they failed to pull me on. Neither the vocals nor the instrumentation here really clicked for me. I'm giving these two songs an average of 3.5 points.

kingshmegland: Days of the New - Touch, Peel and Stand

Heavy, dark and acoustic, you say? Well, that description certainly intrigued me, because there was much potential for awesomeness here. And the end result was definitely awesome. I love the singer and the emotion that he carries in his voice, and the heaviness that the band manage to convey simply with atmosphere, despite being an acoustic group, is amazing. While it doesn't hit me quite as hard, I would compare this to Alice in Chains live acoustic version of "Nutshell", and that's definitely a compliment. Unfortunately, this was also just about as folky, so while I really dig this song, I'll have to deduct two points for kinda missing the theme. Not everything that's acoustic is folk, guys. 9.5 points - 2 points = 7.5 points.

Tyrias: The Decemberists - Rox in the Box

True, this is no folk metal, but I like it anyway. Some solid instrumentation and some very emotive vocals and catchy melodies makes this a very enjoyable tune. I really like those folky interludes after choruses. While this felt a little boring my first listen, it grew on me with subsequent listens - it's very much a grower and takes a few spins to reveal just how well-made and just plain fun to listen to this song is. Nothing too original, but a very good song all the same. 9 points.

mikemangioy: Korpiklaani - Beer Beer

Oh dear. While I like music that doesn't take itself too seriously, there is such a thing as too much, and I assumed the worst upon hearing the title. Luckily, they manage to straddle the line between the ridiculous and the awesome quite well, having the whole thing result in what sounds like more folky version of Ensiferum (yes!) that knows how to have fun as well as write catchy songs (hell yes!) while merging folk elements and awesome riffs perfetly (hell fucking yes!). Definitely a band that I'll check out in the future. 9.5 points.

Elite: Shining - Fisheye

You said it yourself: this isn't really all that folky. Which means two points off - but that doesn't stop the song from being amazing in every other aspect. The riffs, the avant-garde-ness, the vocals, the saxophone - had you sent this in an open round, it would have been a perfect score, and it pains me that I can't give it the score it deserves. But yeah. A theme is a theme. If it's any consolation, these dudes have just gained a new fan. 10 points - 2 points = 8 points.

Standings:

senecadawg2: 57 points
Shadow Ninja 2.0: 54.5 points
Sacul: 51.5 points
Tyrias: 48.5 points
Elite: 47.5 points
kingshmegland: 45.5 points
mikemangioy: 44.5 points

Despite valiant efforts, mike continues playing caboose. His number 8 means that we are in for some female vocals. I'm not too big on operatic styles (see Nightwish) but they can be done well too. You can also send something that's a duet or features multiple vocalists - as long as there is a prominent female vocal part, you'll be fine.

After this round, there'll be one more open round to wrap things up, so you don't have to send a number this time. Since a few awesome themes went unused, I might recycle them for my next roulette... in 2018, probably.

Once again, 48 hours, and good luck.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 03:45:21 PM by Scorpion »

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #133 on: March 03, 2015, 03:30:44 PM »
sent

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: March 03, 2015, 03:42:20 PM »
I knew that but most of my folk I thought you'd hate. :lol

Still you're onto a band you never heard of so that's still cool.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: March 03, 2015, 04:19:15 PM »
Crap, didn't expect this at all :rollin . Sorry for sending two songs - the first one ends kind of abruptly if not followed by the second, so I sent both. That group actually took a lot of time to grow on me, but I didn't have better choices with the theme. But now I've got the perfect female-fronted avant-indie group for ya  :hat .

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #136 on: March 03, 2015, 04:38:49 PM »
Lol that's what I get for getting cocky on this round :lolpalm: still surprised you didn't like it more, since it's so similar to bands that you like quite a bit, but derivative it certainly is!

I'll find you some female vocals soon!!

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: March 03, 2015, 06:12:24 PM »
Sent. And please, read my PM this time, there's some interesting crap there :lol .

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #138 on: March 03, 2015, 11:25:16 PM »

BEER BEER
Glad you've enjoyed it. There's also "Vodka", if you're interested.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #139 on: March 04, 2015, 02:13:03 AM »
And when I do land a good score finally, I get points deducted :lol

No, it's all good. I had no idea what to send, and I wanted to send that song anyway, so that's why I did. Glad you liked it :)
Squ