Author Topic: Scorpion's Roulette, The Third (Final Results)  (Read 17015 times)

Offline Tyrias

Re: Scorpion's Roulette, The Third (Round 3 Results)
« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2015, 09:34:25 AM »
Sent. Sorry for being late, I forgot to send yesterday ( skiing is exhausting  ::) )

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2015, 09:40:31 AM »
No problem.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2015, 10:14:39 AM »
Sent, didn't see that the results were in, sorry everybody  :facepalm:

Anyways, in roulettes like these I always tend to pick the least DTF-friendly thing, because I can.  :lol
Because Mike is better than Mike

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2015, 09:36:42 PM »
So, when can we expect results? ;D

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2015, 01:15:15 AM »
Tonight. Or tomorrow morning. One of the two. But probably tonight.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Scorpion's Roulette, The Third (Round 4 Results)
« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2015, 09:39:51 AM »
TONIGHT

I mean results.

kingshmegland: Eels - Novacaine for the Soul

I know this song from somewhere, I know I do. Maybe it was from my roommate at boarding school, he was into this stuff. I dunno. Whatever it was, this song hit me with nostalgia from the get-go, immediately leaving a favourable impression. I really like the minimal instrumentation and the pauses. The vocals are pleasant enough as well, though nothing spectacular. One thing that bothers me with this song is that once the nostalgia value of this wore of, it was pleasant enough still but nothing I'd actively seek out. Still good, but not brilliant. 7 points.

Sacul: DJ Shadow - Midnight in a Perfect World

I've heard a lot about Endtroducing..., maybe I even listened to it once? I dunno. If I did, it didn't make a strong impact, which is weird because I really like this song. The fact that it's entirely comprised of samples and still comes out as coherent and well put-together as is is mindblowing. There are a few samples here that I'm not too big on, and this isn't something that I'm always in the mood for either, but for the most part, this is seriously great. 8 points.

senecadawg2: Damien Rice - 9 Crimes

Dang, this is seriously awesome! The piano is simple but works perfectly, and the way the two voices interact is nothing short of stunning - both the female vocals and the male vocals (I'm assuming that that's Damien Rice?) are very distint and unique, yet still mesh well together to create a stunning song that is a fragile as it is beautiful. Those backing strings do wonders for the atmosphere, too - the perfect amount of dramatic tension without sounding cheesy. There goes another artist that I definitely have to check out, I suppose... 9.5 points.

Shadow Ninja 2.0: Angels and Airwaves - The Adventure

My first thought regarding this was that this is what blink-182 would sound like if their music didn't suck. A quick Google search reveals that this is, in fact, what blink-182 sound like when they don't suck (okay, not quite, but Tommy was always the most present member of the band anyway). So after giving myself a pat on the back for recognising obvious similarities, I was free to enjoy the song. I have to say, I like it, even though it is quite generic musically, and not all that different from blink-182, a band that I grew out of about six years ago. Maybe it's because this song isn't trying too be pop punk at the highest speeds, or because it's not about getting laid, but this is all the elements that I loved about blink-182 minus all the elements that annoy me now. Good song. 8 points.

Elite: Radiohead - Paranoid Android

Mmmh. I've listened to Radiohead before - who hasn't? - and there's a reason they never stuck with me - I can't stand Thom Yorke's voice. All the instrumental parts here are really good, particularly the more rocking parts of the song, and that truly weird guitar solo is outstanding - but everytime he opens his mouth, I'm reminded about why I don't like this band again. And that blows, because it's a huge waste of potential. 4.5 points.

Tyrias: London Grammar - Strong

I love the vocals. Seriously, they just work beautifully together with the sparse instrumentation. Tons of emotion and a really unique timbre that sets them apart from tons of other bands that make music in this style. The rest of the song is nicely done - I enjoy the electronic drums quite a bit - but the vocals are the absolute star here. <3 9 points.

mikemangioy: Mark Ronson - Uptown Funk (ft. Bruno Mars)

Well, you needed a while to get going, but you finally hit it out of the park with this one. While I've never heard of Mark Ronson before and dislike everything else that Bruno Mars has ever been a part of, none of that matters, because this song is just so insanely groovy, catchy, fun that I can help but like it. It reminds a little of Muse's "Panic Station" in that regard, even though this is a lot funkier. It's not really complex or anything completey original, but at the end of the day, this is just some extremely well-done funk, and that's awesome. 9 points.

Standings:

Shadow Ninja 2.0: 34 points
senecadawg2: 33 points
Sacul: 31 points
kingshmegland: 29.5 points
Tyrias: 27.5 points
Elite: 23.5 points
mikamangioy: 20.5 points

Well, mikemangioy is still in last place (I should have thought this through better, shouldn't I?), but he's gaining ground, and come next round, we might have someone else choosing the theme. For this round, though, it's his number again, and that was 17. That means that it's time for some 70s-music, baby! I don't know from that time, so you should be fairly open in what to send. As always, you've got 48 hours.

Also, update list of themes.

1. Unusual Instrument (any instrument that is not guitar, drums, bass and keyboards counts)
2. Instrumental
3. No Drums
4. No Guitars
5. Over 10 Minutes
6. Awesome Solo (doesn't have to be guitar!)
7. Dark and Dreary
8. Upbeat and Lively
9. Female Vocals
10. Ballad
11. Insane Stuff
12. Live Song
13. Folky Stuff
14. 90s
15. 80s
16. Pre-70s
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 10:22:33 AM by Scorpion »

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2015, 09:43:58 AM »
Paranoid Android should never, under no circumstance whatsoever, receive a 4.5.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: February 19, 2015, 10:04:46 AM »
senecadawg2: Damian Rice - 9 Crimes

Dang, this is seriously awesome! The piano is simple but works perfectly, and the way the two voices interact is nothing short of stunning - both the female vocals and the male vocals (I'm assuming that that's Damian Rice) are very distint and unique, yet still mesh well together to create a stunning song that is a fragile as it is beautiful. Those backing strings do wonders for the atmosphere, too - the perfect amount of dramatic tension without sounding cheesy. There goes another artist that I definitely have to check out, I suppose... 9.5 points.

It's Damien Rice, man. ;D Not like that other Wilson guy.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #78 on: February 19, 2015, 10:06:00 AM »
ok wow I don't know if I've heard anything from the 70s. :lol   This may take some time.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #79 on: February 19, 2015, 10:17:00 AM »
Glad you liked it that much! The vocals are absolutely fantastic, I agree! Also, no idea what to send, I don't think I listen to anything pre-eighties :P

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: February 19, 2015, 10:21:14 AM »
Glad you liked it that much! The vocals are absolutely fantastic, I agree! Also, no idea what to send, I don't think I listen to anything pre-eighties :P

Should've probably sent that Damien Rice song for the previous round, that would've earned you 0.5 points more.  :lol

Also, this is the most awesome theme of the round so far.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #81 on: February 19, 2015, 10:23:08 AM »
ok wow I don't know if I've heard anything from the 70s. :lol   This may take some time.

OH GAWD!!  I've got too much 70's to pick from! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #82 on: February 19, 2015, 10:57:53 AM »
Finally  :rollin it's been like a month or two since I received a vote this high on a roulette  :lol

Are you ok with a ten minute piece?

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #83 on: February 19, 2015, 12:11:27 PM »
Yeah. Up to 10 minutes is fine.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: February 19, 2015, 12:15:13 PM »
Great! I hope you give Endtroducing...... a fair llisten - although it impressed me at first, it's definitely a grower. The same with Radiohead - once you get used to the vocalist, you'll just love their music. But it can take dozens of spins though :lol .

I have very little 70s music, but I hope you'll like my choice.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #85 on: February 19, 2015, 05:37:31 PM »
Awesome! I very highly recommend his album O- one of my all-time favorites.

I'll send later tonight
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: February 19, 2015, 08:48:20 PM »
How do you feel about fun music, that doesn't take itself too seriously? Like Diablo Swing Orchestra or so. 'Cause I have a great song with a weird thing that you'll either love or hate :lol .

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #87 on: February 19, 2015, 09:47:38 PM »
Don't worry, Scorp is used to weird things that he either loves or hates. But usually loves. :zydar:

Sent!

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #88 on: February 19, 2015, 11:03:46 PM »
Sent

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #89 on: February 20, 2015, 01:05:01 AM »
Sent

I haven't gotten it.

Also, sorry for rejecting songs left and right this round. It seems I either know the 70s better than I thought or that you guys aren't digging particularly deep (no criticism intended). But all the songs that I had to reject were really really good, so you guys are on the right track at least.

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #90 on: February 20, 2015, 06:33:44 AM »
Did you get it now?

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #91 on: February 20, 2015, 06:52:50 AM »
Yup.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #92 on: February 20, 2015, 04:18:25 PM »
Sent!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #93 on: February 20, 2015, 04:44:00 PM »
Despite having to reject multiple entries this round, I have nevertheless already gotten all but one submission. You're doing great guys. Now Elite get your ass into gear so that the listening can commence. :P

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: February 20, 2015, 06:06:44 PM »
What a curious thing - on my roulette he was always the last one to send :lol .

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #95 on: February 21, 2015, 01:19:08 AM »
Here I was (one of) the first in every round, but I just saw my song got rejected. Sending soon.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #96 on: February 21, 2015, 03:00:58 PM »
Alright. Results tomorrow night.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: February 21, 2015, 03:37:03 PM »
*hype intensifies*

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Scorpion's Roulette, The Third (Round 5 Results)
« Reply #98 on: February 22, 2015, 12:43:24 PM »
Round 5. It was good.

Shadow Ninja 2.0: Univers Zero - Jack the Ripper

Yes, I can appreciate the weirdness. No, I don't like it. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of decent ideas, but as a whole it's just too meandering for me to truly enjoy. If this were a bit less monotonous and/or a bit shorter, this might actually be a cool piece of music, but as is, around minute seven, I always find myself asking "When is this over?", and that is, to me, rarely a sign of high quality. :P 3 points.

mikemangioy: Genesis - The Musical Box

Genesis are a band that I've heard of, and that I know select songs from, but none of them have really compelled me to check out the band of my own volition. That's definitely going to change now - this was the best Genesis song that I have heard to date. For one, Peter Gabriel's voice here is a lot more palatable than on other Genesis songs that I know, which is a huge plus - I'm not exactly a fan of his voice, but it works in the context of this song. The instrumentation is good, both the calmer parts and the more rocking parts, though I'm not always fond of the transitions here. One thing that I want to point out is that this song really knows how to use its length - not a second of the ten minutes is wasted - in fact, it feels a lot shorter than that. Great submission. 8.5 points.

senecadawg2: Journey - Of a Lifetime

This was probably the longest roulette-related PM I ever got, but I definitely appreciated it. While I probably wouldn't have dismissed this outright - I quite like Don't Stop Believing and Wheel in the Sky, don't crucify me! - you are right in that this is basically a whole different band than what Journey would become with Steve Perry, and a better one at that. While not quite as grand as Perry's vocals, the singing here is still very good and it compliments that bluesy, restrained feel of the music perfectly. Especially the guitar playing here is masterful - that solo is brilliant. Very good submission. 9 points.

Sacul: Aphrodite's Child - Babylon

First of all, I dig that this is live. I always like live version, though admittedly some songs don't work very well live. This, however, is basically a quintessential live song, featuring some great rhythm and a groove that would make this a worthy addition to basically any live show. Bonus points for some random but awesome horns and a superbly audible bassline that is just as much in the center of attention as the guitar. And even more bonus points for that sweet outro. I don't dig the vocals that much, but this song is so much fun that I can easily look past that. 9 points.

Tyrias: Supertramp - Crime of the Century

Supertramp. That's another name that I've heard a lot on these forums, but never felt compelled to check out. I'm not sure if this song will change that, to be honest. There's some great stuff - the guitar playing is great, that sax solo is awesome and I love how creative and audible the bass is, but the song felt a little disjointed - the transition into that piano part around two minutes in felt particularly awkward - and I really really don't care much for the vocals. That's the smaller of my complaints though, because most of this track is instrumental - the real issue I have with this song is that the parts of this song just don't quite come together as a cohesive song that I enjoy listening to. Sorry. 4.5 points.

kingshmegland: Toto - Goodbye Girl

Another band that I've heard mentioned here and never checked out. The main riff of this song that we first hear in the keys and the on guitar and bass is really cool, but it's not cool enough to basically just be repeated with no variation for six minutes. Few riffs are. Other than that, this song was pretty cool, though I don't enjoy the vocals in the chorus much, though they're fine in the verses. The guitar solo is really good, but again we have that riff that overstayed its welcome after about two minutes underneath it. Ugh. It's a shame, this song could have been so good with some variation, but as is, it just feels lazily written. Not bad, but nothing I'd come back to. 5 points.

Elite: Wishbone Ash - Sometime World

For some reason, I went into this expecting something Maiden-ish - I think I heard them being compared once? - but what I got was so much better than just a Maiden clone (though they would technically have been more of a proto-Maiden anyway, but you get what I'm saying). This felt more like Pink Floyd with a slightly rockier edge, and that's something I very much enjoy. We've got some awesome guitar playing here, and the vocals - especially the vocal harmonies - are the icing on the cake. One thing I didn't care much for was that one transition from the calmer part into the more rocking part, but it doesn't bother me terribly either, and the rest of the song more than makes up for it. Awesome song, I will definitely be checking out this band further. 9 points.

Standings:

senecadawg2: 42 points
Sacul: 40 points
Shadow Ninja 2.0: 37 points
kingshmegland: 34.5 points
Elite: 32.5 points
Tyrias: 32 points
mikemangioy: 29 points

seneca takes the lead after a blunder by Shadow Ninja, but it's still far from decided. Sadly, mike remains last, even though I really enjoyed his last two submissions, but what can you do. His number was two, and that means that you all get to send an instrumental. This pleases me, I have been meaning to get into more instrumental music anyway.

Once again, you have 48 hours. An updated list of themes is below. Go!

1. Unusual Instrument (any instrument that is not guitar, drums, bass and keyboards counts)
2. No Drums
3. No Guitars
4. Over 10 Minutes
5. Awesome Solo (doesn't have to be guitar!)
6. Dark and Dreary
7. Upbeat and Lively
8. Female Vocals
9. Ballad
10. Insane Stuff
11. Live Song
12. Folky Stuff
13. 90s
14. 80s
15. Pre-70s

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #99 on: February 22, 2015, 01:26:10 PM »
I'm loving the pace on this roulette!

Glad you liked the Journey song! And that Wishbone Ash song as well- so great! I'll get you an instrumental by the end of the day, hopefully.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #100 on: February 22, 2015, 01:40:25 PM »
Everybody has their own roulette gems :) seneca sent me the same Journey song as well in my 2nd roulette, and that Wishbone Ash song has given me quite some high scores as well. Sending an instrumental tonight or tomorrow. I'll just have to decide which one.
Squ

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #101 on: February 22, 2015, 01:44:19 PM »
Yeah, didn't figure that one would score very high. :lol  70s are really not my thing.

Also sent.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #102 on: February 22, 2015, 02:01:26 PM »
Yeah, I have the same criticism about that Supertramp song, but I don't really listen to much music from the 70s, so there wasn't much to choose from :P. Anyway, will send soon!

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #103 on: February 22, 2015, 02:10:24 PM »
Good scores but still last position  :lol - well, man, the chart is what I care the least about tbh. Will figure out what to send soon.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: February 22, 2015, 02:12:39 PM »
Wow, I'm on fire :hat - it's been a long time since I've had such luck in a roulette though :lol. I was about to send DJ Shadow in case this theme showed up, but already used it. Will send later.

Edit: I've always wondered if that Aphrodite's Child song is a live recording or not (I sent you the album version), 'cause the rest of the album is definitely not. I hope you dig it - a two-discs concept album   :biggrin:.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 02:29:46 PM by Sacul »