Author Topic: Scorpion's Roulette, The Third (Final Results)  (Read 17003 times)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Scorpion's Roulette, The Third (Final Results)
« on: February 06, 2015, 04:27:09 AM »
Alright, let's go. This is my third roulette, which I promise to not cruelly abandon like I did with the second one. It's going to work in a similar way as that one though. More on that later.

My general tastes are metal, but quite broad within that descriptor - I like stuff from power metal to drone metal and pretty much everything in between. I also like some rock, some hip-hop (mainly Eminem and instrumental stuff) and ambient quite a lot. For closer reference, check out my last.fm - any band that that has less than 20 plays is allowed, provided that I have not yet heard the song that you are sending, of course.

https://www.lastfm.de/user/TuncleOm/charts?rangetype=overall&subtype=artists

If you think you have what it takes to cater to these tastes, then I'd love to have you on board. Please only sign up, however, if you feel confident that you will be able to send within 48 hours of me posting the results. I don't want to drag this on longer than it has to. Similarly, I promise that results will be up 48 hours after I get the last person's submission.

What did I mean with "similar to my last roulette"? Well, I had a system there where random numbers by the players decided the next round's theme. What I will do here is similar, but you'll know what the numbers stand for. So, along with every song, PLEASE SEND A NUMBER BETWEEN 1 AND 20. The number sent by the person that is last in the rankings will determine the theme of the next round - this should level the playing field somewhat, give players that are behind a chance to catch up and force people that want to take the lead to be able to adapt to different themes that they might not choose themselves. Not all 20 themes will be used - obviously - they're just there to provide a bigger pool from which to choose.

Possible themes:
1. Unusual Instrument (any instrument that is not guitar, drums, bass and keyboards counts)
2. Instrumental
3. No Drums
4. No Guitars
5. Under 3 Minutes
6. Over 10 Minutes
7. On the Radio (any song that has received radio airplay - internet radio does not count!)
8. Awesome Solo (doesn't have to be guitar!)
9. Dark and Dreary
10. Upbeat and Lively
11. Female Vocals
12. Ballad
13. Insane Stuff
14. Acoustic
15. Live Song
16. Folky Stuff
17. 90s
18. 80s
19. 70s
20. Pre-70s

One final word regarding submissions: please send YouTube links if you can. Bandcamp links are fine as well. Failing that, PM me and I'll provide an e-Mail address.

If you want to play, please immediately send for Round 1, which is an open round. I will accept the first eight songs, no more.

Participants:

- Elite
- mikemangioy
- Shadow Ninja 2.0
- senecadawg2
- Sacul
- Tyrias
- kingshmegland
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 04:43:03 PM by Scorpion »
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
Re: Scorpion's Roulette, The Third: Let's Do This!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 05:59:11 AM »
I'm in, sent, this roulette sounds fun
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 06:05:52 AM »
shit, lets be santa

I'm in this thing

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 06:56:32 AM »
Sent!  :smiley:
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 07:07:52 AM »
I'm definitely in. Sending now.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 12:44:39 PM »
I haven't gotten anything Sacul. So either you're taking a very long time to send or something went wrong lol.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 12:56:59 PM »
I think I'll play as well.I gather  from your lastfm that you speak german? I'm reasonably sure since you have many german bands on your list, also I'm rather sure someone who doesn't speak German  wouldn't have more than 30 listens to Fresh Dumbledore :lol

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 01:00:05 PM »
Well, he lives in Germany according to his profile, so I guess it would be a safe assumption.

I won't participate in this, got enough on my mind for now, but I definitely will be following.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 01:03:15 PM »
Yeah, looking at his profile might have been a good idea :blush. Sent something with german ( or rather austrian, since it's a pretty distinct dialect in this case) lyrics.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 01:24:50 PM »
Can I send you an mp3 file Bandcamp link? The song ain't on youtube (although it used to).
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 01:31:43 PM by Sacul »

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2015, 01:39:19 PM »
Sure. No problem.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2015, 03:31:04 PM »
Count me in.  Sending now.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2015, 03:36:22 PM »
You're in. One spot left now.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2015, 03:51:43 PM »
Sent.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2015, 01:54:27 AM »
I'll just say that seven participants is good enough. So I have everyone now. Results tomorrow evening or Monday morning.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Scorpion's Roulette, The Third (Round 1 Results)
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2015, 02:36:55 AM »
Round 1 results! This was a good round overall, and if the standard stays this high, then I'm reasonably happy.

Elite: Schizoid Lloyd - Suicide Penguin

Ok, this song is really weird. You put "Mr. Bungle" as a genre in your PM, and I think I am forced to agree with you. Spastic changes, weird vocals and an awesome saxophone interlude definitely put this into the "whacky avant-garde" category. Luckily, this a category that I have begun to appreciate a lot over the past two years, so it was definitely a good choice. It's also somewhat of a grower, specifically the vocals, which take some time getting used to, but I find that it only improves on repeated listens, which bodes well for my future appreciation of this song and band. 8.5 points.

mikemangioy: Steven Wilson - The Birthday Party

Steven Wilson is somebody that I've never been quite as fond of as most people seem to be. Sure, moments of genius pop up on pretty much every one of his albums - "Dark Matter" on Signify or "Drive Home" on Raven, to just name two - but as a whole, his music is something that I'm fairly indifferent towards. Sadly, this is the case here again. There's plenty of cool stuff, don't take me wrong - I really dig the bass and drum work is excellent - but the song just doesn't really come together for me, and while I can appreciate it while hearing it, I also wouldn't sweat it if I never heard it again. 3.5 points.

Shadow Ninja 2.0: Justin Cross - Drink the Water

What are you doing to me? I don't normally dig this style at all, but this was surprisingly amazing. The twangy guitar, the backing strings, that percussive interlude... :heart Plus, his voice is amazing. Seriously. One criticism here is that it doesn't have a lot of replay value, but that doesn't diminish the song's initial value in the slightest. 8 points.

senecadawg2: Kauan - Aidan Laulu

How can a mixture of post-rock, funeral doom, black metal and neo-folk not be amazing? Spoiler: it can't. Everything about this song is great. Both the cleans and the harsh vocals are awesome, and while I don't understand a word that's being sung, Finnish just sounds beautiful. And that violin is to die for. Gah, I'm rambling, ain't I? Yeah, this is awesome. Anybody who thinks that black metal can't be beautiful should listen to this song and shut the fuck up afterwards. 10 points.

Tyrias: Wanda - Bologna

Yeah... this isn't really my cup of tea at all. Musically, there's not much to it - it's not even all that catchy - and the lyrics aren't really all that interesting either. I'm not averse to German stuff, or to pop music, or to short songs, but just like long prog songs in English, they can be crappy as well. And that's kinda what happened here. Don't despair though, I know that you have a good taste in music and there's still seven rounds during which you can regain lost ground again. 2 points.

kingshmegland: Beardfish - Destined Solitaire

I'm not a big fan of progressive rock most of the times - I find that a harder metal edge is often needed to balance out prog's meandering nature, lest it become boring. This band, however, avoided that pitfall quite deftly, due to a great singer, original song writing and a lot of diversity to keep the song interesting, while still managing to make the whole things cohesive. Also the growling section is pretty dang awesome, not gonna lie, though it kinda scared me on my first listen. :lol Another highlight is probably the calm section with some cool guitar melodies going on close to the end. My only criticism of this song is that it takes a little to get going in the beginning - the intro section could easily be shortened by a minute or so. Still, this is a great song. 8 points.

Sacul: David Maxim Micic - Where Is Now?

"Okay, I like Destiny Potato, so this should be good, right?" That's basically how I approached this. And I was right. Sort of. There are many of the elements here that make Destiny Potato so awesome, but I feel that it doesn't really gel as a song. I'm not sure how to best explain it, it's weird. I feel like I should like it a lot more than I do, but the way that the sections follow each other doesn't really work for me. Like I said, plenty of cool stuff - that violin part! - but it doesn't really feel like a song, more like a collection of ideas. Maybe this will grow with future listens, I'm definitely not giving up on this. At the moment, however, I can't give this more than 5 points.

Standings:

senecadawg2: 10 points
Elite: 8.5 points
Shadow Ninja 2.0: 8 points
kingshmegland: 8 points
Sacul: 5 points
mikemangioy: 4 points
Tyrias: 2 points

This means that Tyrias' number chooses the next round's theme. His number is 14, that means it's acoustic time everyone! Please keep up the awesome pace and send within 48 hours. I'm looking forward to your submissions. Here's the updated list of possible themes:

1. Unusual Instrument (any instrument that is not guitar, drums, bass and keyboards counts)
2. Instrumental
3. No Drums
4. No Guitars
5. Under 3 Minutes
6. Over 10 Minutes
7. On the Radio (any song that has received radio airplay - internet radio does not count!)
8. Awesome Solo (doesn't have to be guitar!)
9. Dark and Dreary
10. Upbeat and Lively
11. Female Vocals
12. Ballad
13. Insane Stuff
14. Live Song
15. Folky Stuff
16. 90s
17. 80s
18. 70s
19. Pre-70s
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 02:48:26 AM by Scorpion »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2015, 02:45:40 AM »
:tup nice write-ups. I'm going to check out Kauan now.

Also Scorpie, you should try the full album, I'm pretty sure you will enjoy it!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2015, 03:56:38 AM »
Yeah, I knew this was a really big risk and would probably backfire spectacularly, but I just had to send some Austrian music when the roulette host could understand it ;). Personally I really like the song, it's pretty catchy , although very simple, and, as some music magazine summed it up: "It portrays the feeling when you leave the club at 5pm and just want to hug the world" (Never actually been away this long, but I think that's how it would feel :lol ).

Anyway, from now on I'll play seriously, just had to give the others a bit of a headstart ;).

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2015, 06:07:08 AM »
Sweet!  I'll pick a song tonight when I get home from work and dig out of another 18 inches of snow.  We're getting crushed here.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2015, 06:11:19 AM »
sent

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2015, 06:16:16 AM »
I'm very glad that you enjoyed it! I'll send round two at some point today  :D

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2015, 06:29:05 AM »
Oh well :lol. I think the song works better in the context not of the album but on David's discography, side it has lost of reprises of previous songs. But give it time, and try to understand the bigger picture. Will send later - by the way, do you like world music? Like Greek, Turkish, middle east folk and that kind of stuff.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2015, 06:45:34 AM »
How do you feel about Agalloch's The White EP?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2015, 08:27:32 AM »
Quick question.  Strictly acoustic or can it have some electric on it?  Let me know.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2015, 10:07:23 AM »
First person I've ever met that doesn't like Steven Wilson  :lol you're a rarity, my friend. Whatever, I'm doing poorly on the other roulette too  :rollin - sending soon.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2015, 10:47:23 AM »
Will send later - by the way, do you like world music? Like Greek, Turkish, middle east folk and that kind of stuff.

I like world music elements, like what Shpongle do, but pure world music is very much hit or miss for me.

How do you feel about Agalloch's The White EP?

Love it. Pantheist is seriously underrated and one of Agalloch's best songs.

Quick question.  Strictly acoustic or can it have some electric on it?  Let me know.

I'd prefer completely acoustic, but as long as acoustic instruments are the main focus, I won't deduct any points.

First person I've ever met that doesn't like Steven Wilson  :lol you're a rarity, my friend. Whatever, I'm doing poorly on the other roulette too  :rollin - sending soon.

Yeah, I've gotten that from quite a few people. I dunno, it's not like I dislike him, but I don't understand why everyone fawns over his stuff so much either.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2015, 04:37:06 PM »
And sent!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2015, 03:59:00 PM »
I have everyone. Good job. Results Thursday evening at the latest.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2015, 04:31:59 PM »
Sweet.  I love how efficient you are Scorp.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2015, 04:57:58 PM »
Sweet.  I love how efficient you are Scorp.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2015, 05:36:18 PM »
Thanks, but don't start complimenting me just yet. I started fine on my previous roulette and look how that turned out. :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2015, 06:07:27 PM »
 :lol

Still I like the fact I don't really have the time to overthink my pics.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Scorpion's Roulette, The Third (Round 2 Results)
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2015, 03:47:23 PM »
Round 2 results! Not as good as the first round, but still plenty of cool stuff to go around.

Tyrias: Arstidir - Shades

This song is certainly different, that's a plus. Most people went with acoustic guitars and maybe some drumming and vocals, but this is basically just string instruments - which totally counts. Not the biggest fan of the vocals, though I'm unsure how to describe my gripe with them, but they sound a little too polished for my tastes, but the instrumentation is stellar, as are the vocal melodies. I especially enjoy the percussive effects created by the instruments, as well as the tasteful piano that's sprinkled in later. I still think that this would have been better as an instrumental, though. 7.5 points.

Shadow Ninja 2.0: Deb Talan - Comfort

After a great acoustic submission in the first round, the question was if you could keep it up this round? The answer is a resounding yes. Some tasteful guitars set a background, but the real star here is the voice. This could have easily been generic, but Deb's voice is just really unique and has a timbre to it that makes it both pleasant to listen to and memorable, which is by no means an easy feat. 8 points.

mikemangioy: Foo Fighters - Stranger Things Have Happened

Another big name from you, after sending Steven Wilson in the first round. And sadly, another miss. See, the downfall of so many acoustic ballads is that it basically requires the song to connect emotionally with the listener, and if it doesn't, then it just falls flat. And that's what happened here. The main guitar melody is cool enough, but quite repetitive and not really all that original either, and the vocals are good as well, but there's just nothing here that's either emotionally or musically appealing enough to make me have any desire to listen to this. Now I know that you have it in you, so don't despair after two low scores - you just haven't quite hit my tastes yet, but I'm confident you will in the future. 4 points.

senecadawg2: Musk Ox - Part 4: Above the Clouds

Another ten minute song from you. And that's basically the song's problem. It has tons of lovely moments - the violin/cello combo is sexy as hell - but it just goes on for too long without significantly changing its tone, and it just starts to run together. I hate to sound so negative, because there's really a lot of good stuff here, but on the whole, this song just feels way longer than it needs to be, and that's a damn shame, because there's so much potential here. Sorry brah. 5 points.

kingshmegland: Dada - Star You Are

I wasn't expecting to like this as much as I did after the first listen, but this is really quite a grower. I enjoy the subtle playing here, both from the guitar and the drums, both of which add enough little flourishes - that short guitar solo, for instance - to make it memorable while at the time not distracting in the slightest from the main attraction, the vocals. What I like about them is how guarded they seem to me due to the vocalist's delivery, which fits quite well with the topic that the lyrics deal with. Oh, and the lyrics are top-notch as well. Great submission. 9 points.

Sacul: A Silver Mt. Zion - Stumble Then Rise On Some Awkward Morning

This, fellas, is post rock done right. It doesn't need much - just some piano and a few strings - but more than any other song that I have received so far, this conveys a bleakness and hopelessness, two things that I often like in music. While this isn't all that varied, it's nowhere near as long as that Musk Ox song, and the tension and the atmosphere that permeates this piece are more than enough to hold my attention throughout the entirety of its six minutes. Great song. 9 points.

Elite: Magic Pie - Endless Ocean

I think I heard a Magic Pie song before. I remember not liking it. Same with this one. Everything, from the guitars over the vocals and backing vocals, the interludes and the lyrics just feels completely bland. Nothing is bad here, but it's just boring in the most painful way possible. I know that you can introduce me to some awesome stuff, but this definitely doesn't belong into this category. 2.5 points.

Standings:

kingshmegland: 17 points
Shadow Ninja 2.0: 16 points
senecadawg2: 15 points
Sacul: 14 points
Elite: 11 points
Tyrias: 9.5 points
mikemangioy: 7.5 points

This means that mike's number decides next round's theme, as he's in last place overall. His number was 5, so our next theme is under three minutes. I doubt that anybody will have trouble with that - if you want to risk it, I'll take off a point for every fifteen seconds above the limit, so it's your call. Remember: 48 hours. Go!

Here's the themes:

2. Instrumental
3. No Drums
4. No Guitars
5. Over 10 Minutes
6. On the Radio (any song that has received radio airplay - internet radio does not count!)
7. Awesome Solo (doesn't have to be guitar!)
8. Dark and Dreary
9. Upbeat and Lively
10. Female Vocals
11. Ballad
12. Insane Stuff
13. Live Song
14. Folky Stuff
15. 90s
16. 80s
17. 70s
18. Pre-70s

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2015, 03:59:06 PM »
Well, I'm glad you liked that more than my first round submission. Also, I'm going to be on holiday next week and I'm not sure if I'll be able to send something for the next round (If Round 3 finishes within a week, if it takes longer, no problem at all.) I'll probably be able to, but just in case, can I send something with a bit of a delay? Just go ahead grading and start the next round if you want to, I'll send it as soon as I can.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2015, 04:00:55 PM »
Yeah, no problem. Just send for round 3 before you leave, and then catch up when you come back.