Author Topic: The Comic Book/Graphic Novel thread  (Read 19383 times)

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
Re: The Comic Book/Graphic Novel thread
« Reply #105 on: April 03, 2020, 04:15:58 AM »
I only buy "paper" comics of selected authors (Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, Alex Ross, some Frank Miller), with a few exceptions.
Other than that, I read a lot on the tablet. IMHO, tablet reading has one big plus and one big minus:
plus: brightness and possibility to zoom in
minus: it's much more difficult to go back and find a section to reread or review

I read most of my prose on Kindle now and that has taken time to get used. I do now prefer it, though. I don't have a tablet but can imagine it being pretty good for comics. Might be something to consider...

I have a nostalgic love for comics, as I actively read and collected when I was younger, but I am not a current reader.

However, I still have a love for many of my former favorite characters, or certain writers or artists, so I occasionally will buy a collected edition of newer stories, or older ones that escaped me.

Cool. :-)

In general, I'm blown away by the variety of the comics market. From the classic superhero cast that people automatically think of when you say "comics", to horror, thrillers, crime, sci-fi,real-life, LGBT, romance, war, history, politics, stories about lives spent with health issues.... all shades from complete escapism to dead-eye seriousness. It's wonderful.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #106 on: April 03, 2020, 11:23:03 AM »

I'm quite a big fan of a few webcomics, but to be honest the entire style of print comics has never appealed to me.

Comics in general are a fascinatingly different form from anything else, in my eyes. Is it just that you don't like them on paper? I've only ever read a few comics digitally (some Dredd, some Walking Dead) and it was ok, surprisingly. I like them on paper a whole lot more. Not read any webcomics, I don't think.

Some random comic thoughts:

• I love Ed Brubaker and Sean Philips the most. Noir perfection. Everything is golden.
  • Dredd is my all-time favourite character, but it's the city that is the real character against his unwavering consistency.
  • Jeff Lemire's Black Hammer world is the business.
  • Mark Millar is not a favourite creator of mine.
  • I'm about to start reading Tom King's Vision series for Marvel.

No, I'd say my issue is with the style of storytelling itself that comes with regular print comics. Even though they're both nominally 'comics,' webcomics and print comics seem like they're complete worlds apart in most respects. The highly episodic, have-to-fit-an-entire-story-into-five-minutes-of-read-time kind of thing that most print comics seem to adhere to seems to me to result in an inability on my part to get invested either in the story of the comic (because it's too short to be developed), or in the main character (because too much real estate is spent on the story).

That's just my impression, having purchased and read through a few fairly well-regarded comic series. I'm sure there's a world of different stuff out there, but that's been my takeaway thus far.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #107 on: April 04, 2020, 02:07:59 AM »
The 30 page episodic thing. Not bothered me thus far but I see what you mean. I might search out some webcomics.

Offline billboy73

« Reply #108 on: October 27, 2021, 11:54:09 AM »
Wanted to resurrect this thread, as I have taken the plunge back into comics for about the past year.  I was really into comics when I was younger, but stopped reading at some point in high school.  I was really into X-Men, and some of it's offshoots like X-Force and Excalibur, and also Batman.  I dug out my boxes of comics from my closet at my parents' house and started reading again.  I started reading X-Men Classic.  The Claremont era is so good.  Then, of course, I started getting into some other stuff.  I started picking up issues of the Punisher.  I got into a lot of Garth Ennis' run with the Punisher (as it was highly recommended) and loved it.  Lately, I've been reading through Excalibur (1st series) and filling in gaps of issues I didn't have when I was younger. Nightcrawler has always been my favorite X-man, and it was such an interesting series in the X-men world.

I just read Batman Hush and really enjoyed that as well.  I started buying the new Batman '89 miniseries, as I always loved the Michael Keaton Batman movies, and have enjoyed that so far.  Going to the comic store by my house to grab a new issue every month has been a nostalgia trip!

Looking back in this thread, has given me some recommendations of other stuff to read next.  I think I am going to give Preacher a go next, as I already am into what Ennis has done on the Punisher.  I'll check out Sandman and The Walking Dead in the near future too.  It really has been fun to get back into comics.  My wife had no idea I was and am a comic book nerd  ;D
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 01:47:09 PM by billboy73 »

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #109 on: October 27, 2021, 12:00:17 PM »
On a side note, Disney just bought Marvel Comics for $4 billion.   :eek

Given what they've done with the franchise since, I'd say that was one of the best deals of the century  :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #110 on: October 27, 2021, 01:28:26 PM »
Looking back in this thread, has given me some recommendations of other stuff to read next.  I think I am going to give Preacher a go next, as I already am into what Ennis has done on the Punisher.  I'll check out Sandman and The Walking Dead in the near future too.  It really has been fun to get back into comics.  My wife has no idea I was and am a comic book nerd  ;D
Sandman is the high point of English language comics, IMO.

Preacher ain't bad either.  :tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #111 on: November 01, 2021, 01:08:23 AM »
Wanted to resurrect this thread, as I have taken the plunge back into comics for about the past year.  I was really into comics when I was younger, but stopped reading at some point in high school.  I was really into X-Men, and some of it's offshoots like X-Force and Excalibur, and also Batman.  I dug out my boxes of comics from my closet at my parents' house and started reading again.  I started reading X-Men Classic.  The Claremont era is so good.  Then, of course, I started getting into some other stuff.  I started picking up issues of the Punisher.  I got into a lot of Garth Ennis' run with the Punisher (as it was highly recommended) and loved it.  Lately, I've been reading through Excalibur (1st series) and filling in gaps of issues I didn't have when I was younger. Nightcrawler has always been my favorite X-man, and it was such an interesting series in the X-men world.

I just read Batman Hush and really enjoyed that as well.  I started buying the new Batman '89 miniseries, as I always loved the Michael Keaton Batman movies, and have enjoyed that so far.  Going to the comic store by my house to grab a new issue every month has been a nostalgia trip!

Looking back in this thread, has given me some recommendations of other stuff to read next.  I think I am going to give Preacher a go next, as I already am into what Ennis has done on the Punisher.  I'll check out Sandman and The Walking Dead in the near future too.  It really has been fun to get back into comics.  My wife had no idea I was and am a comic book nerd  ;D

Awesome. Preacher is great, and is responsible for getting me into comics again in my early 20s. Ennis also wrote The Boys but I've not read much of it. There are a few other Ennis things I'd like to read (Sara published by TKO).

I've decided I'm only buying trades as a rule now. I've bought a few runs in single issue form since last posting and have really enjoyed some but the context switch between issues and the pausing was too much for my average brain and distinctly-under-average memory.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #112 on: November 01, 2021, 08:20:05 AM »
I'm going to start looking for a couple anthologies: going to start with Dr. Strange and Fantastic Four. 

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: November 03, 2021, 01:53:16 PM »

Awesome. Preacher is great, and is responsible for getting me into comics again in my early 20s. Ennis also wrote The Boys but I've not read much of it. There are a few other Ennis things I'd like to read (Sara published by TKO).

Ennis' run on Hellblazer was fantastic, especially once Dillon joined as the artist. 

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #114 on: February 21, 2022, 01:55:16 PM »
Bump for Stadler.

In other news (that is coincidentally related to the list post in this thread) I just read a Garth Ennis WW2 comic called Sara published by TKO:

4 out of 5 stars

I've not read a war comic since the 70s when my Dad bought me those little, square Commando ones. I used to love the covers but get bored but the contents. I was nearly 10 then, nearly 50 now and this war comic has been on my to-buy list for a while.

I don't know their big publisher works but loved Epting & Breitweiser on Brubaker's Velvet, and the art here is also fantastic.

The plot was excellent and pulled in a bunch of interesting surrounding angles to the setting. I'm no WW2 buff so was fascinated by it.

Could have been a 5 but there were a few occasions where I struggled to understand either the wording or the panels, but this is a recommended read, nonetheless.

Offline billboy73

« Reply #115 on: February 22, 2022, 10:39:51 AM »
I'm going to check out Sara.  I just read Batman Reptilian (from Ennis), and that was a pretty interesting take on Batman.  I thought it was pretty decent overall.  The art from Liam Sharp was really dark and interesting in that one as well.  Steve Dillon was to do the art, but he passed away before it happened.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #116 on: February 22, 2022, 10:56:56 AM »
Ah, ok. Interesting. I'd read more Ennis. The Boys was just a bit too crass for me. Love the TV show, though. I'm tempted to get more of his war comics. Oddly, I tend to read comics in genres I wouldn't normally watch TV/film of. Eg: crime drama, horror. War comics might be another one of those.

There's a new original comic art gallery near me that is about to show a Steve Dillon exhibition. I'll definitely be heading over there to take a look when it starts.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 11:03:34 AM by DoctorAction »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: February 22, 2022, 12:50:02 PM »
ANy input or feedback on the various Marvel anthologies/omnibuses out there?  I'm interested in reading the complete Dr. Strange, from the early Ditko works to the present, but without collecting all the books.  I know he had his own title for a while, but also appeared in some collections.  Anyone have any ideas (even if just "where to start?" in looking further).

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: February 22, 2022, 03:40:46 PM »
Ah, ok. Interesting. I'd read more Ennis. The Boys was just a bit too crass for me. Love the TV show, though. I'm tempted to get more of his war comics. Oddly, I tend to read comics in genres I wouldn't normally watch TV/film of. Eg: crime drama, horror. War comics might be another one of those.

There's a new original comic art gallery near me that is about to show a Steve Dillon exhibition. I'll definitely be heading over there to take a look when it starts.

The Ennis Hellblazer run is rather restrained compared to his later work.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #119 on: February 22, 2022, 06:40:41 PM »
ANy input or feedback on the various Marvel anthologies/omnibuses out there?  I'm interested in reading the complete Dr. Strange, from the early Ditko works to the present, but without collecting all the books.  I know he had his own title for a while, but also appeared in some collections.  Anyone have any ideas (even if just "where to start?" in looking further).

By the Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth!!

I am not completely sure how possible it is to read the complete Strange, but this should be a start and might lead to the rest.

https://www.amazon.com/Doctor-Strange-Omnibus-Vol-1/dp/130293287X
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #120 on: February 23, 2022, 12:12:37 AM »

The Ennis Hellblazer run is rather restrained compared to his later work.

Good thought. I read the first volume years and years ago. Ta.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #121 on: February 23, 2022, 06:32:40 AM »
Anyone else have a Marvel Unlimited subscription?  I got one - geez, maybe 7-8 years ago - as a father's day gift from jingle.kids, and have renewed it every year.  Totally worth it.  I just finished up the 2018 Infinity Wars extended series/event, and am now debating whether to hit House of M (47 comics), or Secret Invasion (100+ comics).

Stads... this allows you to search by character, and get all the series' related to anyone you want.  You can get a 7-day free trial.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: February 23, 2022, 06:35:08 AM »
Anyone else have a Marvel Unlimited subscription?  I got one - geez, maybe 7-8 years ago - as a father's day gift from jingle.kids, and have renewed it every year.  Totally worth it.  I just finished up the 2018 Infinity Wars extended series/event, and am now debating whether to hit House of M (47 comics), or Secret Invasion (100+ comics).

Stads... this allows you to search by character, and get all the series' related to anyone you want.  You can get a 7-day free trial.

BOOM!  You're the man!  I'll be checking that out this weekend (or Friday, when we get our snow).

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #123 on: February 23, 2022, 06:45:22 AM »

BOOM!  You're the man!  I'll be checking that out this weekend (or Friday, when we get our snow).

I've got the app on my iPad.  The web interface is a little clunky.  Reading on a tablet is the best way to go.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #124 on: March 07, 2023, 09:33:44 AM »
Any fans of manga around here? I've been reading lots of series lately, and I'm having a blast :metal . My favorites so far are BLAME!, Pluto, Uzumaki, and Goodnight Punpun. And I'm currently reading:

• 20th Century Boys
  • Akira
  • Berserk
  • Blood on the Tracks
  • Chainsaw Man
  • Dead Dead Demon's Dededede Destruction
  • Fullmetal Alchemist
  • Homunculus
  • Knights of Sidonia
  • Land of the Lustrous
  • Nana
  • No Longer Human (Junji Ito's version)
  • Old Boy
  • Solanin
  • Vinland Saga

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #125 on: March 07, 2023, 10:18:49 AM »
Any fans of manga around here? I've been reading lots of series lately, and I'm having a blast :metal . My favorites so far are BLAME!, Pluto, Uzumaki, and Goodnight Punpun. And I'm currently reading:

• 20th Century Boys
  • Akira
  • Berserk
  • Blood on the Tracks
  • Chainsaw Man
  • Dead Dead Demon's Dededede Destruction
  • Fullmetal Alchemist
  • Homunculus
  • Knights of Sidonia
  • Land of the Lustrous
  • Nana
  • No Longer Human (Junji Ito's version)
  • Old Boy
  • Solanin
  • Vinland Saga

I got gifted volume 1 of 20th century boys perfect edition. Recently got reprinted I guess because they are affordable now. I loved it as a teen,. but the dutch translation never got finished. Ordered some volumes and look forward to reading it.

I have watched some anime shows in the past (Death Note, Samurai Champloo, Full Metal Alchemist) and am open to reading manga stories.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #126 on: March 08, 2023, 11:06:04 AM »
20th Century Boys is great so far (I'm halfway through volume 8), maybe a tad too long here and there, but very good.

About recommendations, it really depends on what you're into these days, I can recommend some Shonen (manga geared towards teens and young adults), or Seinen (mostly adult audience), and then based on what genres you dig.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #127 on: April 05, 2023, 04:10:48 PM »
20th Century Boys is great so far (I'm halfway through volume 8), maybe a tad too long here and there, but very good.

About recommendations, it really depends on what you're into these days, I can recommend some Shonen (manga geared towards teens and young adults), or Seinen (mostly adult audience), and then based on what genres you dig.

Thanks, totally forgot to recheck this thread, sorry!

I am now focusing on completing 20th Century Boys. I have 9 volumes. I also got the complete set of Death Note, which was on a massive sale (50 bucks). Looking at prices here, some box sets are surprisingly affordable.

I had to jog my memory, but I do have some Shonen experience, but it is mostly from my childhood / early teens (I watched a looooot of stuff back then instead of doing homework). I liked Dragon Ball (Z) and One Piece when I was like 13 years old or younger (now 33). I actually just watched a bit out of nostalgia and I still enjoy it. Naruto and Bleach I did not really like all that much back then.

Most of my Japanese media experience comes from games. The Yakuza games in particular I am a huge fan of (super serious/dramatic plots but also a lot of weirdness and humor to be had).

I am definitely interested in other works by the man behind 20th Century Boys. Monster I am going to check out (I did watch a bit of the anime back in the day). And I want to check out Attack on Titan in anime form.