Author Topic: Evermind's Unsophisticated Roulette v. Round 8 Results - We have a winner!  (Read 42920 times)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I have all six songs now. Expect results any time from Friday to Sunday, I'm not sure I can be certain this round, with long songs and all.

First thoughts are probably coming up today though.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
 :corn

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Alright, actually, for this round I decided to change the approach, as it's the last round and all that. I'll be posting the little stuff like the song lengths, first thoughts, the epicness measure scale, this kind of things one at a time during all the waiting time. I hope this will help to kind of increase the hype or at least sustain it on an acceptable level or whatever. :lol

I guess those won't spoil anything, because all songs are submitted anyway, and even if someone will be able to guess what his opponent sent, it won't hurt. So, here we go, without further ado...

Songs' lengths:

8:52 - 8:58 - 16:37 - 19:34 - 19:39 - 22:24

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
in total that's probably shorter than the total time for rounds 5 or 7, haha

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
in total that's probably shorter than the total time for rounds 5 or 7, haha

Yeah. :lol

So, it turns out it's a lot more difficult to digest epics than the usual songs! Who knew? :lol Anyway, my first thoughts, one for each track, which are probably not very accurate, because I can't remember half of the stuff I listened to. But at least there are some general impressions.

Quote from: Evermind
I probably shouldn't be surprised when people send progressive rock in the epic round. :D Well, I enjoyed the positively happy and uplifting vibe of the whole track, and after the first listen it feels quite cohesive. My strongest impression was that this tune really reminds me of some The Flower Kings material.

It seems this song has that epic vibe for some parts, and for other parts it loses it completely (there is a quite cool memorable moment indeed in one of those other parts, though.) And I guess this back and forth approach is fine if there is some grand ending to top it all off, which is apparently not the case. Not that it's bad, it's just... not grand, I guess.

Haha, apparently this guy is capable of normal, usual style of singing for the first few minutes at least. :lol Then of course he returned to the approach more familiar to me, but it was interesting to hear that.

Now, this song is just a fucking powerhouse nearly all the way through, isn't it? Like a train going at full speed or something. (I wave but it doesn't slow down.)

This tune has this serene atmosphere for the most part of the beginning, and I kind of seem to remember there were a bit of ambient stuff sometimes. Unfortunately, during my first listen to it I was on a local train, going home after a working day, and I think I dozed off after five minutes or so, therefore this song remains pretty much a mystery to me as of now. I'll be sure to give it more attention for the next few days. Sorry man. :angel:

And more progressive rock, which is never an entirely bad thing. It has this soft sound, all instruments seemingly intentionally sound a bit muddled, which only adds to the track's atmosphere. Quite enjoyable song with some great parts indeed, and on the first impression this one kind of reminds me of ELP.

I'll post the epicness measure scale tomorrow, using some songs from the previous rounds as an example for how much epicness points those songs would've earned if you sent them in this round.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef

Now, this song is just a fucking powerhouse nearly all the way through, isn't it? Like a train going at full speed or something. (I wave but it doesn't slow down.)

Mine, without a fucking doubt. As I tell people every time I send it, make sure your strapped in safely....   :metal

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Well if RJ is right , then I think mine is the train snooze  :-\
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Mine is the first one.  Gotta be, since I sent Karmakanic.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
No clue, again.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ErHaO

Last one, I think.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Well, at least one guess here is wrong. ;)

So, as I promised, here's the epicness measure scale for you. In the examples I've included three songs from each participant still playing in this roulette, all of those songs were sent to me during the first seven rounds. It isn't meant to be exact or something, but it should give you an inkling of how I'm going to rank the songs by their epicness in Round 8. You can ask about other songs, if you want.

Epicness measure scale

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
According to that scale, how epic would the Swans song have been? :P

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
so I never scored higher than maybe a 1 on that scale

great  :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
so I never scored higher than maybe a 1 on that scale

great  :lol

Why do you think that? I just didn't include the songs sent by eliminated participants. Under the Pines would've scored at least 2, I think.
According to that scale, how epic would the Swans song have been? :P

Something like 1, I guess. But I need to spin it again, maybe it's more epic than I remember.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
I wasn't thinking "epicness" when I sent, I just sent something I thought you would like.

Oh well, it's not like any of us were going to catch random letter and numbers guy.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Yeah, it's a longshot that even I will catch him. Not only do I have to nail it, but he has to falter, and he hasn't done that yet.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I wasn't thinking "epicness" when I sent, I just sent something I thought you would like.

That's usually a good strategy for the roulette.

I'm extensively listening to all your songs, and the results will definitely be up on Sunday. That random guy's entries aren't so random though, they seem to be great nearly all the time.

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
You guys make it sound like I have 5 posts and been here 5 mins  :lol   "Random letters and numbers guy/he " has numbers in his nick that ain't so random to a Van Halen nut  ;) 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 06:26:40 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
You guys make it sound like I have 5 posts and been here 5 mins 

Nah man, if that was the case I'd be way more upset about losing to ya. :lol

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
OU812 I would have got.

I was only referring to your handle.  It's just not the kind of handle that lends itself to easy memorization.

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
No doubt 2112 wouldn't have generated any doubts here  ......I'm much more from the hard rock/metal side of things than prog rock if there's still any doubt   ;D  The handle is made up of my initials and 5150.    Feel free to call me by my real name Brent - Evermind has a couple of times in the thread and plenty of others here do ,which is more than fine with me .

As far as that epicness scale goes , one of those I already submitted outside of the mini-epic round got a 3 ........so given that I had the intent of making this Rd 8 song the most epic I've sent , I'm aiming for a 4  :corn

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Ok bro, it's Sunday....

:corn

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
It's 10 a.m. here man, I just woke up. :lol

I'm starting to write them write-ups now.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Fine. I'll expect my winning score in the morning then.

Offline ErHaO

Heh, I do not think I will score all that high on the epic scale with the tune I sent. I just hope you like it as much as I do ;D Had to venture far from all my initial idea's because of that damned banned list  :P

I also see I forgot my small  reaction write-up last round, regarding the Galahad's. Will do that together with the final one  ;)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Alright guys, the writeups are done, but as I need to adjust the post with the bb-code and this kind of small stuff, the results will be up after Liverpool - MU football match. Initially I wanted to post each writeup separately starting from sixth place to the first just to watch RJ reaction and have some fun, but as he's apparently sleeping now, I'll be posting all results together. So the winner will be known in two or three hours from now on.

I'm also planning to run either Nightwish or Kamelot survivor after I'm done with this roulette, so I'll create the poll about which one to run in Polls / Survivors later. If you want to participate, be sure to vote there. ;)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Initially I wanted to post each writeup separately starting from sixth place to the first just to watch RJ reaction and have some fun,

It probably would have been the same as your reaction to me getting the Kamelot promo and telling you song by song how good it was.  :biggrin:

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Initially I wanted to post each writeup separately starting from sixth place to the first just to watch RJ reaction and have some fun,

It probably would have been the same as your reaction to me getting the Kamelot promo and telling you song by song how good it was.  :biggrin:

Dude, that's fucked up. :lol

Alright, so there we are! After nearly two months of bloody battles and all this stuff, here are the results of the final round! The writeups are arranged from sixth overall place to the first.

ErHaO: Echolyn – Island

Well, out of two progressive rock epics (I don’t really consider Sound of Contact to be a full-fledged progressive rock somehow) yours was the only I liked less, mostly because that Karmakanic song was just that awesome. As I said in the first-thoughts post, this song is quite enjoyable with few great moments scattered throughout the tune. Also as I said there, I’m really enjoying the muddled, retro-like mix, which kind of reminds me of Mark Knopfler – Privateering album mix (this is a good thing). However, my biggest complaint about the song is the lack of somewhat memorable parts — I think I’ve listened to it eight times and if someone asks me to describe the song structure and sing some moments, I probably won’t be able to do it. My description will include something like “sixteen minutes of prog goodness”, which is true, because I’m totally enjoying all I hear in this song, especially a good bass line, but somehow it just doesn’t register with me. Maybe I just need to give this song more time, because honestly, I like it, but I can’t remember much about it. I love the calm piano part at ~7:30 though.

And this has to be most non-epic epic (:lol) I’ve received in this round. Just calm and enjoyable all around, but it’s really more like a long song and less like an epic. You really should’ve sent something like Galahad here, would’ve earned you more points. I still liked your song though. 7.5 equals “good”, so don’t be upset!

7.5/10  |  1/5

Overall result: 68.5 (6th place)

It may seem you came at the last place, but don’t forget there were six people eliminated before, so for your first roulette you actually did really well! Sixth place against the eleven strong participants, it’s more like an achievement than a failure. I actually doubted you can come up with decent stuff at first, even though I knew our tastes were quite alike, because you frequented the same bands’ threads as I did, but I thought the banned list may be just a bit too extensive for you; well, you soundly proved me wrong on that count. While you started out quite slow with For All We Know and Damian Wilson, you upped your game a few notches with Circus Maximus, Serenity and Mind’s Eye, and all those bands are on my check-out list now. You’ve secured your place in the final part with Threshold, cockblocking Seneca for Round 7 (:lol), and then totally stunned me with that Galahad entry. While your final round performance wasn’t that strong, I still think this is quite a worthy run you’ve made there. I hope you will participate again in a year or more, and I hope you will host your own roulette so I can share some of my favourite music with you too!

wolfking: Virgin Steele – A Whisper of Death

This band was on my metal-checking-radar for a long time, for five or more years ever since I’ve heard DeFeis singing in Avantasia debut album. I have also heard DeFeis on Timo Tolkki’s Avalon second album (I wish I haven’t though :lol), and that’s it. I was curious how he sings in his own band, because on Avantasia his vocal delivery was kind of random. So I was really surprised to hear his awesome clean voice in the acoustic intro instead of this usual half-screaming with “ow!” and “aw!” exclamations he’s doing in the rest of the tune. Mind you, that’s not a complaint, because his singing style fits the music really well. This is also the shortest song I’ve received in this round, but while some progressive epics need some twenty minutes to unveil, this song does the same job in nine minutes, and even feels just a bit too long maybe. It really takes a lot of great ideas to make a really fascinating and interesting hard rock / power metal track longer than eight minutes, and while this song doesn’t totally fit this description, it wasn’t boring or anything; quite enjoyable, in fact.

I realize now this approach was kind of what I expected of Virgin Steele even though I never heard a single song by them before. Solid metal with characteristic DeFeis’ singing, tasty riffs and solos and all that. I expected this song to be really epic, because long power metal tracks usually are, but weirdly this isn’t the case here.

8/10  |  2/5

Overall result: 70.5 (5th place)

I knew you wasn’t a frequent roulette player, but I definitely wanted you to participate in mine, because I knew you for a hard-rock / AOR / power metal fan, and I didn’t know Brent will sign up, so I wanted at least one of you here (and I’ve got a full deal, haha), so first of all, a huge thank you for participating! You totally didn’t disappoint, and while you had a few misses like C2C or Scar Symmetry, your entries usually had registered quite well with me, with some choices being really awesome, like Lost Horizons, Lord or Magnus Karlsson’s stuff. You didn’t sent any mindblowing-outstanding songs, but most of your entries were solid and went straight into check-out list. It was awesome to know your tastes more, and I’m looking forward to discuss some new albums with you in GMD, and of course you’re always welcome to my next roulette in a year or so! It was a honor to have you participating, man.

senecadawg2: Sound of Contact – Mobius Slip

This tune is incredibly calm and atmospheric, maybe even has some ambient moments. It requires a lot of attention though, because at the first few listens I struggled to find anything memorable, and even dozed off during the very first listen; but when I more or less started to grasp the whole picture this song creates, it turned out to be pretty great. This tune takes its time to build the atmosphere up, as expected of a song nearly twenty minutes in length, with some cool parts during the buildup, such as that small acoustic instrumental moment starting at 7:55, and some not-so-cool parts like the out-of-place Echoes-esque moment around ~3:55. The song then goes into a great tension-filled part in the middle I really like, reminding me of Octavarium structure (few calm parts, then something faster like Full Circle), but instead of building the moment even more (Intervals), it goes straight into a more tranquil, majestic part of the song. I love that serene All Worlds, All Times part, and the instrumental in the end is good, but the very ending when the melody disrupts into chaos soured the impression a bit.

Overall, I think the song lacked a bit of punch here and there, and some more epicness wouldn’t hurt it either. Even as it is, it’s still kind of epic in its own calm sort of way, especially when it gets to that beautiful final part. Also, “I can’t feel anything at all, lipsticks that I recall.” :lol

8.5/10  |  2/5

Overall result: 74.5 (4th place)

Well, you, on the other hand, is a known roulette player, so I wasn’t surprised when you signed up — I was kind of surprised you didn’t win though, given your previous record. As I mentioned in some round, it’s incredible how diverse your taste is, and while it’s clear your taste is different from mine, it’s also clear you can adapt to the person’s taste, seeing how you hadn’t sent any weird electronic stuff and went for such bands as Helker instead. It was also nice to get some awesome singer-songwriter stuff from you like Mazzy Star and David Gray, and of course you sent the best song of the whole roulette, Journey – Of a Lifetime. You did a great job, if you ask me; I guess you can’t win just any roulette you’re in, so try again in my next roulette when the times comes, maybe? ;)

Dr. DTVT: Karmakanic – Send a Message From the Heart

And here’s the best song of this round and one of the best songs I’ve received in this roulette. You’ve said in the roulette thread you didn’t really care for epicness and whatnot and just sent what you thought I will enjoy, and how damn right you were on that count. I always considered myself being only a mild progressive rock fan, slightly leaning towards neoprog, but you somehow managed to send a great progrock tune I loved from the very first listen. It definitely reminds me of The Flower Kings (and now that I’ve Googled some information about the band, I can totally see why :lol ) I absolutely love the lighthearted approach this song presents, with that obviously happy and uplifting vibe. Accidentally, your song started playing just when I left the train, so when I exited the railway station the tune was at ~3:00, when the vocals start. It was a clear day with the sun shining and all that, and the very first “Send a message from the heart / Turn around and face the sun” section made me incredibly happy for some reason. The song features different twists and turns then, sometimes switching the cheerful vibe to a longing one, but always stays cohesive and memorable, featuring the main melody in one way or another. The vocalist is just perfect for this kind of song. I also love the mix, with the ringing piano, audible bass and all that, every instrument can easily be heard. The darker part at ~10:30 is amazing too, the short intense “Walk the path of contradiction, tumble when it turns” is incredible (I wish it was longer), and basically the whole song is amazing. You know, I’m usually writing my thoughts about the tune while listening to it, and this time I kind of don’t want to write anything and just sit here and let the song take me on a journey. The only parts I’m not too fond of is that vocal melody starting from “It is time for healing”, and the “Tides are turning” section, though I enjoy the drums there. I guess that’s what keeps this tune from getting a perfect score.

The awesomeness of this song is something I can’t exactly describe, but I’m totally in love with this song. For its length, which is nearly twenty minutes, it has an incredible amount of strong melodies and solos, managing to stay interesting for the whole listen, and to top it all off there’s that perfect epic ending (that’s how you end a calm, happy song. Sound of Contact could learn a thing or two from these guys), bringing the main melody back, making the song come full circle. Yeah, it’s a cliché thing, but it just works so well here.

When the world is falling and it’s digging in the dirt
Send a message from the heart

When the sky has risen and it's waiting for the end of Earth
Send a message from the heart

Aw, man.

9.5/10  |  4.5/5

Overall result: 78.5 (3rd place)

Alright, first of all, I really didn’t expect you to participate, and also to score that well. For some reason, I was sure you were a big progressive rock fan and I expected you to send lots of it, and since I think I’m only a moderate fan of this genre, I thought you won’t get a lot of points. True, you sent a progressive rock tune I didn’t enjoy once (Xen), but the other stuff you submitted was either good like Pendragon, or incredible like that Karmakanic song or Tiles; and sometimes you scored well with progressive metal, like with Ice Age or Wolverine. You really could’ve won this one if not for that Xen song (should’ve sent Existentialist, man), you played quite well and I’ve discovered a lot of awesome bands, thanks to you. I think I love progressive rock a bit more now, all because of the great tunes you’ve sent me.

lonestar: Silent Memorial – Retrospective

I expected you to send this song, and you didn’t disappoint. Now, this tune is just a fucking powerhouse nearly all the way through, like a train going at full speed or something. And it just screams epic in your face with all those progressive riffs, distorted guitars and a complex keyboard runs underneath. This is like Dream Theater mixed with several bands like Seventh Wonder, probably Circus Maximus from what I’ve heard of them since ErHaO sent me their song, and few more progressive metal folks. The epicness begins right from the intro and continues through the acoustic part too — the single long distorted notes played on electric guitar during the acoustic arpeggios are my weakness (1:45 – 2:00). You know, during the first five listens I absolutely adored the instrumental goodness featured in this tune, and I wasn’t digging the vocals at all, both the delivery and the melodies; but then something clicked and now I love them. Well, the delivery at least; the melodies could’ve been a bit better anyway. But even though the glorious instrumental track beneath it saves even the not-that-good melodies; I do find the instrumental break in the middle of this tune a bit too long — it goes for about eight minutes, and it’s the usual kick-ass prog instrumental section, reminds me of Metropolis. I think six minutes would’ve been just enough. The real glory comes after the instrumental of course, the epic conclusion with some sections that can easily blow a mind of some unprepared listener.

Overall, I think there are three parts that are incredibly epic: the intro to the point when the vocals come in, the “He remembers” section, and the outstanding outro from 20:00 onwards. And that’s really enough to make the whole package epic as hell, along with magnificent riffs and all this headbanging heaven this song provides. This is heavy and epic and glorious, but that Karmakanic tune still edges out your entry by the song-quality-points.

9/10  |  4.5/10

Overall result: 80 (2nd place)

I know, man, I know. You’ve expected to win this, and damn, did you come close to it. You even were in the lead at one point, but then lost all your advantage with one average entry, so if I were you, I would blame Simon Godfrey for that. :lol You had an upper-hand in the whole roulette, because you obviously knew my tastes better than anyone, and almost all of your songs except that Shineback one were great, especially Silent Memorial, Absolute Priority, Amadeus Awad’s Eon and Headspace. At the beginning, I hoped I’ve made the competition a bit difficult to you, following some of your roulette entries, listening to them and banning the bands like Karnya, so you maybe will have some difficulty picking the tunes to send (so I thought), and obviously that wasn’t the case. Guess your audio library is more extensive than I assumed. While I think none of your songs made the Top 5 (see below), you were really consistent in this roulette. I associated your tastes with progressive metal and I did get a lot of outstanding progressive metal from you, I think my knowledge of this genre improved vastly. Thanks for all the awesome entries man, see you in the next roulette of mine, and we’ll be probably competing against each other in the other roulettes soon too!

bl5150: D.C. Cooper – The Union

This is the weirdest song I’ve received in this round for sure. It doesn’t match the standard epic format, and it sounds like some weird mix of bluesy rock, hard rock and power metal, and it’s pretty interesting package, even if a bit pretentious. The piano work is surprising on this track, but it fits really well with this “Never before, never again turn on you”, even though I’m not too fond of melodies here. However, while I kind of like this part, it’s easily the least epic of all the song, and I talked about in the first-thoughts post, saying the song has the epic vibe for some parts, yet for other part loses it completely. That cool memorable moment I’ve mentioned was an appearance of a female voice, and the song really benefited from it, in my opinion. I think I like the verses and the instrumental parts in this song much more than I like the chorus, therefore I stand by my complaint about lack of some grand ending to finish the song.

I think this song is trying to be epic for the sake of being epic, and while it does work, it also feels a bit forced. What I really loved in this song is the female voice in the middle of the tune, which served as a breath of fresh air much needed and appreciated. Overall, it wasn’t your best entry, but it wasn’t your worst entry either.

8/10  |  3/5

Overall result: 80.5 (1st place — the winner!)

The fact of your participation in this totally came out of the blue for me, but now I’m really glad you wanted and were able to make it, because all your entries (except Pride of Lions) were awesome. I needed some more kick-ass power metal in my life, and you provided it with Angel Dust, Morifade and Crystal Eyes; I like some great hard rock tunes and there you are with Trail of Murder; finally, I love a touching – and maybe a bit cheesy – ballads, and those Mattador and Ten tunes were magnificent. If anyone in this roulette was more consistent than RJ, it was you, constantly providing me the amazing tunes from the mostly unknown bands to check out. You know, at the beginning of this roulette I feared how the fact I know some of the participants more than the others can influence my scores, feared I may come off as biased or something; but looking at the results now, I’m pretty satisfied with them, because out of all the people you deserved this win the most. You’ve never sent me a tune that baffled me or made me think “what the hell?”, all your entries (even Pride of Lions) were more or less spot on. I associated your tastes with hard rock and power metal, and you totally delivered. Thank you once again, man, and I hope you’ll join me in the next roulette of mine in a year or so. I’m not sure if my library is wide enough to join you in yours (I need to see the banned list), but I’ll try to play, if you’ll have me. All in all, with all the humble submissions and stuff you won against such beasts as RJ and Seneca, so I can only offer you my thanks and congratulations again. Rock on. :metal

So, well, that was really awesome two months! I've discovered a lot of bands to check out, I think my list has more than 40 of them now, and from the next week I'll start doing it. Looking forward to exploring those neverending musical territories, now that I have the bands' names thanks to all of you guys. While you six were the most awesome participants, a huge thank you again goes to those eliminated after Round 6, you've sent me a lot of awesome music too!

And before this whole journey (pun!) will end, I've got the Top 5 best songs I've received in this roulette to show you:

1. Journey - Of a Lifetime (senecadawg2)
2. Ten - Soliloquy/The Loneliest Place in the World (Brent)
3. Karmakanic - Send a Message From the Heart (Mason)
4. Galahad - Empires Never Last (ErHaO)
5. Mattador - Tired (Brent)

So yeah, there. I'll see you in Polls / Survivors a few hours later hopefully; I'm also ready to answer any questions you've got about the roulette, your songs or whatever else. Otherwise, I feel like I said all I wanted, so once again, thank you guys a lot for those heaps of awesome music, sorry RJ that you haven't won, and with that, I'm out!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 11:56:46 AM by Evermind »

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Phew - half a point eh?  Now that's what I like to call "the pain"  :lol   

Funnily enough I considered Silent Memorial and had noticed it before in roulettes and decided to go for something a bit less well known.  I'll PM you the details of the other one I considered which I think may have scored better after reading your analysis.

Quite seriously - it's been a pleasure.  Great players and an exceptionally well run roulette all round - the best I've seen anyway.  I think I'll probably take a break from these after Big Hath's - for a while at least but I really enjoy sharing good music and it's a cool concept.

I also achieved my half serious goal at the beginning of winning without  sending anything from pre-1990  ,aside from Hear'n'Aid where I was struggling for a good multi-vocalist entry.  No fogeys round here.   :hat  ::)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Was fun yeah  :lol
I probably could've tried to play to your specific tastes more but that would've been less fun and if my lowest score is a 5.5 or so I can't say I did too bad overally  :tup

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Half a fucking point??!!?? Really??

I kid man, always a pleasure, and a tip of the hat to Brent for a kick ass performance.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I also achieved my half serious goal at the beginning of winning without  sending anything from pre-1990  ,aside from Hear'n'Aid where I was struggling for a good multi-vocalist entry.  No fogeys round here.   :hat  ::)

In fact it's kind of a pity, I wanted to discover more awesome bands from 70s and 80s too. Thankfully Seneca sent Journey and Wishbone Ash, that should be enough for now.

I also thought Ten was pre-90s, but apparently their album was released in 1996. Huh.

Was fun yeah  :lol
I probably could've tried to play to your specific tastes more but that would've been less fun and if my lowest score is a 5.5 or so I can't say I did too bad overally  :tup

Yeah, I always think it's better to send something you enjoy, not something you think the host will enjoy.

That's what happens if you do the Kamelot promo threats. :rollin

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member

That's what happens if you do the Kamelot promo threats. :rollin
RIP.
In.
Pieces.

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

In fact it's kind of a pity, I wanted to discover more awesome bands from 70s and 80s too. Thankfully Seneca sent Journey and Wishbone Ash, that should be enough for now.

I also thought Ten was pre-90s, but apparently their album was released in 1996. Huh.

I know what you mean and I wanted to go there but I had oodles of stuff that I KNEW you would at least like , yet had a very hard time getting a handle on what 70's-80's stuff you would like outside of prog rock which for the most part I don't like.  My background really isn't power metal to be honest - I started more as a hard rock/AOR guy , then moved into melodic/classic metal and then prog metal in the early 90's.     I've really only spent time on more obscure power metal (outside of a few classic bands like Stratovarius,Helloween, Kamelot) in recent years.  I'm a fast learner though  :lol

Perhaps try my Top 50 for some 80's rock and metal..........it's really a top 125 if you include all the runners up and HM's  :lol  That'll keep you busy and there's heaps of obscure stuff in there with links etc....
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 11:13:23 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Just checked out Silent Memorial. Never heard of them. It's damn good!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol