Author Topic: Evermind's Unsophisticated Roulette v. Round 8 Results - We have a winner!  (Read 42900 times)

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
Sent
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Got every entry, will do the first listen tomorrow evening, the results will be posted either Wednesday or Thursday evening.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Evermind's Unsophisticated Roulette v. Round 6 - Listening mode
« Reply #317 on: March 02, 2015, 01:31:04 PM »
Alright, before we begin, here's a short schedule warning. I've got to make a business trip to another city (and since Russia is damn huge, this another city is about 6000 kilometers away) due to my job, so I'll be away from Tuesday to Friday morning. Therefore, the results will be posted on Friday afternoon when I arrive back here. However, due to the flight taking 6.5 hours, I will be able to listen to all your songs for a few times. I'm sorry for the delay again, but I really didn't expect that.

(And it's -20°C there, while we're having ~0°C here in Moscow. Shit.)

So, whatever, have those first thoughts about the songs you've sent me! And the ranking range is 6.0 ... 9.0 by the way. Really consistent round this time.

Quote from: Evermind
Is it epic? Kind of. Do I like the vocals? Hell no. I think it’s a good example of a song being unexciting just because the vocals fall flat for me.

I saw a few people on DTF constantly praising this band, and even though my tastes are clearly different from theirs, I kind of wanted to try this band out. And you know what, this is actually amazing.

The opening strongly reminded me of Beyond the Bridge. There was even the melody that sounded a lot like those “if you want to face it / no, I want to be there / then, pitiful human” lines in the beginning.

<...> if you want to end the epic song with the chorus, you should make the chorus itself epic enough, which doesn’t happen here. Though the instrumental before the chorus was great, I’ll give you that.

Interesting how in a lot of epic songs the lofty, grandiloquent feeling is achieved through some insane vocal lines and melodies, but this song does it with terrific and quite epic instrumental ending crossfading into the simple yet soulful acoustic guitar playing.

And as always, here's the one for the best song of the round:

This song is pretty much a headbanging heaven, and the keys definitely add this epic feel to it, while the vocals and the amazing art (I really like the vibe it's projecting) are complementing the whole package just right. <...> Outstanding pick for an epic round, man.

And there's some interesting stuff going on in Top 6 with those first rankings. They may yet change, of course, but there is some stuff worth attention indeed.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #318 on: March 02, 2015, 01:47:42 PM »
I think the first 2 could kind of apply to my song, and I do hope it's the second :P. Also, when I saw the ranking range I pretty much gave up on going to the finals, but your last sentence kinda made me think it could still be possible...

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #319 on: March 02, 2015, 02:44:49 PM »
Interesting thoughts.  Can't really pinpoint my song.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #320 on: March 02, 2015, 02:53:34 PM »
I'd like to believe the second extract is about what I sent :lol. But even a 6 is way better than the 3 I expected - give my song thorough listens. There's lots of things going on that you may not notice on a first or even third spin - a small vocal nuance here, subtle notes played in the background, etc. But if you pay attention, you'll discover lots of small details that reveal that the song is not as repetitive as it can seem ;).

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #321 on: March 02, 2015, 03:02:38 PM »
Well, mine isn't the last one, because I don't imagine headbanging to it.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #322 on: March 02, 2015, 03:26:06 PM »
Interesting thoughts.  Can't really pinpoint my song.

Ditto...............definitely didn't have the top song.  Should've stuck with metal  :metal  ;D

« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 03:31:25 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #323 on: March 02, 2015, 03:46:22 PM »
given my past history of entries, the first one is 100% my entry

also the rankings are consistent because you wanted epic stuff and you really like epic stuff :lol

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #324 on: March 02, 2015, 04:03:38 PM »
The two comments describing the ending do not match up.

The one about fans on DTF also doesn't match (maybe the artist I thought would be the double one last round this time?  :P). This album was recommended once on DTF by the looks of a search, but the band itself is unknown around here it seems (and aside from this album, which I think is fantastic, I am not really familiar with them either).

The other comments could all fit, depending on one's taste.

Let's see if I can end my participation (or...?  :laugh:) with a high score and without symphonic cheese ;D But I guess a positive grade is already a given if you do not change your mind drastically.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 05:03:14 PM by ErHaO »

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #325 on: March 02, 2015, 04:42:25 PM »
I know that my submission isn't the last one, because Evermind has already told me that he shares my dislike for the cover. It also doesn't have any acoustic guitar, so... eh, I guess we'll see.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #326 on: March 02, 2015, 10:29:05 PM »
I would have had so many choices if it weren't for your taste of harsh vocals.  Dimmu Borgir is pretty damn epic.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #327 on: March 03, 2015, 04:41:14 AM »
I would have had so many choices if it weren't for your taste of harsh vocals.  Dimmu Borgir is pretty damn epic.

Ditto.  This has limited my choices so much.  Still took a punt with Scar Symmetry, although that's One Direction compared to good old Dimmu.  :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #328 on: March 03, 2015, 07:03:10 AM »
Well, I guess that can't be helped.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #329 on: March 05, 2015, 06:51:39 AM »
So guys, I'm flying back to Moscow tomorrow morning, but I'm not sure how much time I will have after the flight, because I've got a Sabaton gig to attend in the evening of the same day. Worst case, results will be up on Saturday, but I'll try to get them up tomorrow if I can.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #330 on: March 06, 2015, 05:05:14 AM »
Alright guys, stay tuned, results in two hours.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #331 on: March 06, 2015, 05:53:06 AM »
Cool, let's see how my first roulette participation will end!  :D (or with a spectecular underdog uprising :hat).

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Evermind's Unsophisticated Roulette v. Round 6 - Tiebreaker
« Reply #332 on: March 06, 2015, 06:35:51 AM »
Alright, after the long wait, here we go!

Round 6: Results

senecadawg2: Falconer – Heresy in Disguise

Well, for one thing, I really enjoyed the opening riff. And overall this song doesn’t lack anything in the instrumental department, and there are some great vocal melodies, but the vocalist just doesn’t make the cut for me. This song could use more versatile voice; instead, it got this one, and I would even go as far as say the vocals are a bit of annoying. He sounds good when he sings the title line, which indeed sounds like “heresy in the skies”, like pointed on YouTube, but that’s about it. I enjoyed the song, but I have to say it didn’t feel particularly epic to me, more like a standard fare for power / heavy metal. Well, the ending gets epic just briefly, but that’s about it, so you get one point less for this round. Sorry!

6.5/10

wolfking: Iced Earth – Dracula

This song starts very promising with the calm and ominous acoustic playing supporting the deep vocals, and with the right continuation it could’ve even been 10/10; and those insane screams are quite appropriate with the fast beating riff approaching next, but I wish the vocals were a bit toned down, because those reckless screams become gratifying quickly. A bit of variety would’ve helped in this case. And the chorus, well… while I like the epic things, the one “epic” approach I usually can’t stand is the choir or multiple layers of the same lines behind the vocals on the chorus, hence why I don’t particularly like new Orgen Ogan or Kaledon albums, or a lot of Italian power metal for that matter. And I can’t even explain when it does work and when it doesn’t, because Blind Guardian, for example, can do it really well (except on their latest, but the stupid vocal melodies on those really don’t help there (Xanaduuuuu, anyone? Hell.) Well, anyway, the screams don’t ruin the song, and the only thing I’ve got to complaint about are the choruses, so overall it was a good experience all around. I’ll try to check some of this band’s work, and you recommendations would be welcome.

8/10

mikemangioy: Avenged Sevenfold – Afterlife

I somehow didn’t check a lot of MP’s side projects, so I was excited when you sent me this. I kind of like the song, but I don’t like the quirky vocals, and the chorus reminds me a lot of this alternative metal stuff. While the whole song is quite epic, with cool bass and vibe overall, it’s just if you want to end the epic song with the chorus, you should ensure the chorus itself would be epic enough, which doesn’t happen here. Though the instrumental before the chorus was great, I’ll give you that. One point less for you, man, though it’s not like it really matters at this point, I like to be thorough with this stuff. Overall, nice song, but I really don’t dig this alternative side of the tune.

5.5/10

lonestar: Mandroid Echostar – Citadels

The opening really reminded me of Beyond the Bridge. There was even the melody that sounded pretty much like those “if you want to face it / no, I want to be there / then, pitiful human” lines in the beginning. This is not Beyond the Bridge, for they are much better, of course, but this is something. This song is quite dense and difficult to digest even for its six minutes, but it’s indeed epic as hell. Great progressive metal riffing with appealing vocals, this song left a great impression on me after the first listen and since then it was just getting stronger. I love this break at 3:15, and after one last vocal entry the song is left to the evolution through the music without any vocals. Pretty interesting how in a lot of epic songs the lofty, grandiloquent feeling is achieved through some insane vocal lines, but this song does it with terrific and quite epic instrumental ending crossfading into the simple yet soulful acoustic guitar playing. For that alone, this tune deserves a round of applause and a high score.

9/10

Tyrias: Oceansize – Amputee

Is it epic? Kind of. Do I like the vocals? Hell no. I think it’s a good example of a song being unexciting just because the vocals fall flat for me. Pity, because I really wanted to like it and I was really looking forward to what you had to offer for the other two rounds, but this tune just isn’t impressive at all. You know, I don’t want to offend your tastes, really, because you’ve sent some brilliant tunes in the previous rounds, but this song does totally nothing for me. Our definitions of epic are probably not miles apart, just a few meters maybe, because while the instrumentation is probably epic, and the ending does have this epic vibe, I don’t think it can be applied to the whole song, because the first three minutes are just boring for me. Sorry man, one point less for you.

5.5/10

Shadow Ninja 2.0: Thirty Seconds to Mars – This is War

I obviously heard about Thirty Seconds to Mars, but I always kind of dismissed them as that alternative rock / metal I’m not a fan of, kind of like Linkin Park and other stuff (now, they may be completely different from Linkin Park, but I’m just that ignorant about this genre), so it was nice to finally give this band a chance. I think this is pretty good, honestly. It still has this distinctive alternative vibe, but I rather enjoyed it. It wasn’t that grandiose, but it was epic in some ways, the ways I guess a lot of tracks from this genre are epic. So, overall, rather average and didn’t wow me, but it left a positive impression on me. It wouldn’t save you now, but still, it was more than alright entry.

6.5/10

Dr. DTVT: Arena – Smoke and Mirrors

The tried and true acoustic intro never fails to build the song up to some epic measure, so I was pretty excited for this one. Epic shit indeed. Clean vocals and the guitar behind the organ really enhance the song as far as I’m concerned. This is just the type of song I was looking for this round, short, sweet and pompous, with accessible vocal melodies yet the pronounced progressive and metal edge. I guess the organ / keys could’ve been a little less cheesy, but the guitar really compensates those, so I can say I’m satisfied. I guess my only big complaint is the chorus, it’s just so happy it doesn’t feel like it belongs here in the song, and doesn’t add anything to the epic atmosphere. Anyway, this is a good song.

8/10

Sacul: Swans – Lunacy

I saw a few people on DTF constantly praising Swans, and even though my tastes are clearly different from theirs, I kind of wanted to try this band out. And you know what, this is actually really amazing. I really enjoy all the subtle touches behind the vocals, like the keyboard riff that suddenly starts in the middle of the song. I think the lyrics could’ve been a bit more diverse and imaginative, you know. (“Lunacy! Lunacy! Lunacy! Lunacy! Lunacy!” Seriously.) :lol I wish the ending was more intense, because it kind of kills the whole momentum, but otherwise I like this! This song just has too many great moments and too huge of a buildup to ignore it, and I’m certain I’ll be checking Swans further. Any suggestions what to buy first? Of course, you’ve sent this song kind of five rounds too late, you know, but you managed to send a great tune after all, and that’s what actually matters (or maybe not? You decide!). Anyway, thank you!

8.5/10

ErHaO: Mind’s Eye – Hell’s Invitation

The opening with a spoken part is strangely appropriate, with this pounding riff and the ringing keyboards underneath. The chorus is seriously tense with some weird vocal melodies I already like. The only thing I would erase is this demonic laugh. This song is pretty much a headbanging heaven, and the keys really add this epic feel to it, while the vocals and the art are complementing the whole package just right. I was apprehensive about the vocal melodies at first, but then something has just clicked and now I love them. I can’t help but say they’re pretty Seventh Wonder-ish too. You must be really a fan of this approach; and since I’m a fan of this approach too, it helps you to achieve the high score in this round. Seriously, man, I think this is the best song of the round. Very cool. Outstanding pick for an epic round, man.

9/10

Scorpion: Heavenly – Carpe Diem

I’ve already mentioned this cover in our PM conversation, so I’m not going there again. :facepalm And I didn’t listen to lyrics, so there’s that. I really like the melodies both on the verses and the “aaah” prechorus, and the whole prechorus is basically great, but sadly the vocal delivery itself is a bit underwhelming, and the chorus approach with the multilayered vocals isn’t too good (see my explanation is wolfking’s song writeup). Guitar solo and those riffs after it were a nice decision, working well in the song’s flow, but the mediocre vocals just bring the whole song down a notch. Pity. And what the hell with this muffled sound on the last chorus? Sorry, man, that wasn’t particularly good. With a good chorus this would’ve been 8.5, but unfortunately, the chorus really isn’t epic at all, and it ruins the epicness of the whole song. One point less for you.

7.5/10

bl5150: Pride of Lions – The Gift of Song

You know, when I listen to this I kind of see where you’ve got the impression I would like some cheese in my ballads, but I think one of the reasons I fell in love with that Ten song was the amazing guitar arrangement (and this song has nearly none) and the deep, kind of low register vocals. The vocal melodies are amazing here, but this song could really use some guitars, because otherwise it’s just too cheesy even for me. Broadway vibe, you say? I think that’s a good way to describe it. The instrumental part at 3:20 even goes into some disco vibe or something, I dunno, at least until the keyboard part (could be Hammond, could be not. I’m not expert on those things) hits in. And I really can’t argue with the last chorus being damnable epic, because that’s just ridiculous. I can’t quite determine what it reminds me of, but I swear I’ve heard something like this song before. Maybe this very song. Maybe not. I don’t know. This song just reminds me of something else I’ve heard very strongly, and I can’t pinpoint it. Anyway, it was good, but just a bit too cheesy, and since I usually don’t mind that at all, this was apparently very cheesy. Anyway, when I’m in the right mood for this song, it becomes really good. Rises above my expectations and its inspiration keeps me strong, haha. Other times though, I don’t think it’s that great. So I’ll just settle on “good”, I guess. While that wasn’t your best entry, I’m sure you’ve got a lot of other great stuff to introduce me in the last two rounds.

7.5/10

Parama: Fun. – Be Calm

Oh, what an amazing start with those violins. And the wtfness goes in right there! I have a wide smile on my face now, because the playfulness of the whole thing just gets me. You know, the funny thing is that usually in the roulette the players should learn the host tastes but with you I think it’s the opposite. I’m not sure if you have any idea what I like, but I feel pretty confident in your tastes now. As for the song, it’s again playful and fun overall, and though I think that Bodies of Water was better, this is quite cool and good too, and I can see myself giving an occasional spin to something like that. Fun indeed!

7/10

Standings:

lonestar - 52
bl5150 - 51.5
Dr. DTVT - 48
senecadawg2 - 46
wolfking - 45.5

Scorpion (with a guest appearance from TAC) - 44.5
ErHaO - 44.5

Tyrias - 41
Parama - 40.5
Sacul - 40
mikemangioy - 32.5
Shadow Ninja 2.0 - 32.5

I wasn't checking out the whole standings when giving out the scores for each song, so here's what we've got here. The first five: RJ, Brent, Mason, Seneca and Kade are advancing to the next two rounds without any problems. Tyrias, Parama, Sacul, mikemangioy and Shadow Ninja are eliminated.

However, Scorp and ErHaO have the same number of points, so we're going to have a tiebreaker! The rules are in the post below. The other participants who are still in the roulette can use those few days to get ready to the slaughter that will follow.

Additions to the banned list:

Iced Earth
Mandroid Echostar
Arena
Swans
Mind's Eye
Heavenly
Pride of Lions

And before we go to the tiebreaker, I want to say a big thank you the people who participated in this roulette and, unfortunately, has been eliminated.

Shadow Ninja, while some of your entries were total misses, The Tallest Man on Earth and Steam Powered Giraffe were good and outstanding respectively. Thank you for introducing me to these bands/people, I'll definitely check them out further.

mikemangioy, while you didn't sent anything really awesome, I appreciate your effort to try and find something I would like. I think your problem was that your audio library wasn't that extensive, so you actually couldn't sent anything I wasn't familiar yet still appreciate. Elvenking was the closest, so thank you for that band. I'll try some of their albums.

Sacul, I'm honestly surprised you didn't do that good. I was certain our tastes are different yet alike in many ways, because otherwise I wouldn't have been able to win your roulette, but apparently you didn't have a lot to offer, or you were too shy about it. You hit home with Swans in the last round, and that Pure Reason Revolution song was good, but I'll be honest, I hoped for more. Anyway, I hope you won't be disappointed a lot with your elimination. I respect your taste, and I'm looking forward to defend my crown in your next roulette, if you will host it. Thanks for participating in mine!

Parama, you've sent a lot of wtf-worthy songs to me, and the funniest thing I loved most of them, so basically you did really great in this roulette. I didn't expect this, but Diablo Swing Orchestra, Fun, and especially Bodies of Water were really awesome, and I will probably check all these three bands out, so you totally didn't do all this for naught. I probably would've never discovered those bands without your help, so great job there!

Tyrias, you've introduced me to some awesome bands and artists, especially Susanne Sundfor. Despite your initial failure with Biffy Clyro, you've managed to climb back into Top 6, but your next entries weren't that good. It's a pity, I was kind of rooting for you to get into the finals, but both those Chelsea Wolfe and Oceansize tunes weren't up my alley. Anyway, thank you for joining in! I would say you did good, but the opponents were just too solid.

Scorpion and ErHaO, roll over to find the tiebreaker info!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #333 on: March 06, 2015, 06:36:12 AM »
Round 6: Tiebreaker

Participants:

Scorpion
ErHaO

The rules are simple. Both of you guys are to send me one song. No theme, basically an open round for you, The time limit is 10 minutes. Regardless of the length, I will give each song three listens. After that, I will decide who's going to be eliminated, and who's going to participate in the next two rounds. The score you'll get for this song won't be counted for general score.

lonestar, bl5150, Dr. DTVT, senecadawg2, wolfking: you don't need to send anything just yet. Wait for round 7 and its description, I'll post them after we're done with this tiebreaker.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #334 on: March 06, 2015, 06:43:21 AM »
No worries.............with mine it was a matter of whether the mindblowing last 2 mins was enough to take the rating right up there regardless of the sorta lightweight first 4 mins.  For me it is........not for you though and I totally get it.

Now............any chance you could give a rough idea for the next round?  I have a couple of songs in mind and according to the first post there's no specific criteria.  Only reason I ask is that I leave for a 2 week trip this morning and will not have access to all my music files.  Given the way you like to listen I'd like to upload them to the cloud before I leave so I can give you mp3s.  I just want to make sure the songs are appropriate.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #335 on: March 06, 2015, 06:48:44 AM »
Now............any chance you could give a rough idea for the next round?  I have a couple of songs in mind and according to the first post there's no specific criteria.  Only reason I ask is that I leave for a 2 week trip this morning and will not have access to all my music files.  Given the way you like to listen I'd like to upload them to the cloud before I leave so I can give you mp3s.  I just want to make sure the songs are appropriate.

Alright, it's not like that's a secret or anything. The next round is totally open. You have to send me two songs. You can choose the songs either from the same band, or the different ones, it's your choice. The total length of two songs must not exceed 20 minutes (so you can send 15 minutes + 5 minutes; or 10 minutes + 10 minutes; or 4 minutes + 3 minutes, whatever, as long as the total length isn't over 20 minutes).

Each song will be ranked separately on the scale of 10, so Round 7 is your biggest opportunity to score points. Therefore, the maximum amount of points you can get is 20, which is quite a lot.

If you've got any other questions to ask for Round 7, fire away.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #336 on: March 06, 2015, 07:31:52 AM »
Oh. Hell. To. The. Yeah.

Finally got the lead man. Let's see if it can hold....

The Mandroid Echostar EP of the same name is just fantastic, a near 30 minute concept ep. Really good stuff worth checking out, and they have a full length pretty much recorded and awaiting release. (I have total dibs on the review btw)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #337 on: March 06, 2015, 07:44:35 AM »
Now I didn't expect this - again :rollin . Thought you may hate the vocals or something else, but at least you liked two of my entries so that's enough for me.

I'd recommend you checking that album, The Seer. Lunacy is just the opening track, but don't even expect the rest of the record to be like that. Let's say that it's really an experimental thing, but also the band's most accesible output, so...  :lol . But give it some time, and you'll realise it's either a brilliant piece of music or pure hipster crap - I believe the former, although listening to the self-titled 30 mins epic makes me doubt at times.

Anyways, it was fun to play this one - I also expected to do way better, but I guess my musical library ain't big enough to find lots of stuff that would have appealed you. I hope you're prepared to defend your crown in a year or so, 'cause it will be tough - the system will be a bit different, with no special points, so sending good enough power metal won't save you :neverusethis: .

Although I'm not playing any longer, I'll still follow this. Thanks for leading it!

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #338 on: March 06, 2015, 08:32:44 AM »
I know exactly what I'm sending for round 7.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #339 on: March 06, 2015, 08:52:24 AM »
wow i'm pissed you entered Amputee of all things Oceansize, why  :lol
For what it's worth Oceansize was the band I would've double-entered in round 7 :V
anyways here's a list of much better songs from Oceansize
Catalyst // Women Who Love Men Who Love Drugs // Long Forgotten // The entire Music For Nurses EP honestly //Music For A Nurse // Ornament/The Last Wrongs // Unfamiliar // Trail of Fire // Savant // Only Twin // The Frame // SuperImposer // Build Us A Rocket Then... // Oscar Acceptance Speech // Silent/Transparent // It's My Tail And I'll Chase It If I Want To

and i still need to listen to the non-album/main EP tracks more too, ugh
Oceansize is seriously one of my favorite bands, ever, and entering Amputee is just... why. not that it's bad but whatever :P

I have to wonder if this would've done better as an entry from Caligula's Horse, too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tIfhqvAJeA

anyways that's all I have to say, I never had an epic to enter anyways and the artist I wanted to enter next already got entered so being cut is fine  :lol

And you probably don't have a good idea of my musical tastes because I didn't enter much metal, which is actually a large chunk of what I listen to  :lol

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #340 on: March 06, 2015, 08:53:26 AM »
Over and out! This was a fun but frustrating roulette  :lol
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #341 on: March 06, 2015, 08:53:43 AM »
Damn. I knew it was a risk, but I hoped it would pay off more... Also, I'm not entirely sure what makes the last 2 minutes more epic in your mind, I think the song already starts epic and doesn't really get any more epic throughout the song. Also, I think you put a lot more importance on vocals than I do (and we have a bit of a different taste in them ;)). While I don't think they are great in this song, they mostly just fade to the background when I'm listening to the song and I focus on the Instruments. Maybe I should have realized that earlier in the roulette, now it's kind of to late :P. But the world would be a boring place if everyone liked the same music, and at least I introduced you to some cool music. Thanks for letting me play.

Also, I thought about sending a Swans song as well, for just a second, and then immediatly thought you'd hate it. Guess I was wrong :lol.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #342 on: March 06, 2015, 09:01:31 AM »
wow i'm pissed you entered Amputee of all things Oceansize, why  :lol
For what it's worth Oceansize was the band I would've double-entered in round 7 :V
anyways here's a list of much better songs from Oceansize
Catalyst // Women Who Love Men Who Love Drugs // Long Forgotten // The entire Music For Nurses EP honestly //Music For A Nurse // Ornament/The Last Wrongs // Unfamiliar // Trail of Fire // Savant // Only Twin // The Frame // SuperImposer // Build Us A Rocket Then... // Oscar Acceptance Speech // Silent/Transparent // It's My Tail And I'll Chase It If I Want To

and i still need to listen to the non-album/main EP tracks more too, ugh
Oceansize is seriously one of my favorite bands, ever, and entering Amputee is just... why. not that it's bad but whatever :P

I have to wonder if this would've done better as an entry from Caligula's Horse, too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tIfhqvAJeA

anyways that's all I have to say, I never had an epic to enter anyways and the artist I wanted to enter next already got entered so being cut is fine  :lol

And you probably don't have a good idea of my musical tastes because I didn't enter much metal, which is actually a large chunk of what I listen to  :lol

Well, I would have loved to enter one of the other songs you posted, but most of them would have had me at least 3 points deducted for being way over the time limit. :P I actually think that all those longer songs you posted up there are better than Amputee, except the short songs from their last album. And I think Music for Nurses is not particularly epic and works better as a whole. It's absolutely fantastic, though, just not really stuff you can send in a roulette IMO.
Also, what's wrong with Amputee? They're one of my favourite bands as well and I'd say Amputee is among their best songs (which is admittedly quite a lot of material, since they don't really have any clunkers on any of their albums ;) )

Also, damn. Sorry for the double post. Is there any way to make those two into one?

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #343 on: March 06, 2015, 09:03:24 AM »
I'm just talking about in general, not the scope of this specific round  :lol
and there's nothing wrong with Amputee, just that there are some 20+ better Oceansize songs IMO :P

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #344 on: March 06, 2015, 12:36:20 PM »
Cool!

Will send my stuff and comment tonight! ;)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #345 on: March 06, 2015, 01:42:14 PM »
Thats a great Iced Earth song!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #346 on: March 06, 2015, 03:49:13 PM »
Alright, good shit.  The bands I have available is getting very thin now.  :lol  Let's bring it on.  Good Pride of Lions song too.

Thats a great Iced Earth song!

Oh hell yeah man.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #347 on: March 06, 2015, 03:57:21 PM »
Dracula is awesome! Just listened to Horror Show a few weeks back. Always thought that Matt Barlow sounds a little like Paul Stanley on that album.

I see Scorp used Heavenly. I would have used them as well, and the lack of Heavenly jumped out at me on the Banned List right away. I would not have gone with Carpe Diem. In the small epic round, I might have gone with Evil.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #348 on: March 06, 2015, 04:11:26 PM »
You can hear on a lot of Iced Earth songs the slight similarities between Matt & Paul

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #349 on: March 06, 2015, 07:38:15 PM »
Ok, so I got the lead, and I got two solid fucking bands waiting for the kill. Bring your best kids, I really wanna take this one home. :RJ: