Author Topic: Evermind's Unsophisticated Roulette v. Round 8 Results - We have a winner!  (Read 42906 times)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Re: Evermind's Unsophisticated Roulette v. Round 4 - Listening mode
« Reply #210 on: February 17, 2015, 08:05:21 PM »
I'm trying to figure out what band the last one might be.  I think I have one or two decent guesses.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #211 on: February 17, 2015, 10:01:22 PM »
Not to brag, but I'm guessing I got the "outright cheating" one, especially considering who my vocalist were. :RJ:

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: February 17, 2015, 10:12:38 PM »
Some of those may seem a bit obvious from the first glance, but it's not that easy as you all might think. For example, this first one refers to three songs, not just one, and the others may yet surprise you when we get to the results.

I'll post them at Friday afternoon, by the way.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #213 on: February 17, 2015, 10:19:48 PM »
I was considering about 3 different songs with JLB on them, then decided to go with something he might not discover otherwise, even if it was potentially riskier because probably the ten best songs by the person I sent are all over 10 minutes long.

Online ErHaO

« Reply #214 on: February 18, 2015, 03:37:11 AM »
Lets see! I was kind of surprised the band I sent does not even have a thread here (only an appearance in a top 50 albums thread, from the looks of it by search).

Half expecting a certain song here btw, with Russel and Floor.

Curious to see which that last artist is. Sounds interesting. I have two idea's, but both not really fit perfectly. One is a misspelled plant, the other one a Greek wild animal.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #215 on: February 18, 2015, 04:22:32 AM »
Yeah, I'm really keen to find out what the last song is.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #216 on: February 18, 2015, 05:12:33 AM »
 :corn   ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #217 on: February 18, 2015, 08:09:40 PM »
:corn   ;D

I knew you would be the one who sent that.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #218 on: February 18, 2015, 10:15:04 PM »
Since I think I know which excerpt is mine, I'm planning the songs for my last two rounds :lol .

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Evermind's Unsophisticated Roulette v. Round 4 Results - Send for Round 5!
« Reply #219 on: February 20, 2015, 04:51:28 AM »
Since I think I know which excerpt is mine, I'm planning the songs for my last two rounds :lol .

None of those excerpts were yours. :rollin

This round was a diverse one. I intended this one to be the most difficult one from the sending perspective, and I was really interested what songs you guys will come up with. As the result, this round has those incredibly awesome highs (one song is marked 9.5, three songs are marked 9.0), and unfortunately there's also that entry with growls marked 2.5. Nearly as bad as thrash, haha.

Really though, some outstanding tunes this round. Have a look:

Round 4: Results

Sacul: Pure Reason Revolution – Bullits Dominae

After sending some average and nearly good songs in previous three rounds, you’ve finally breached that barrier with this one, sending a good one now. The unhurried nature of this song applies to me a lot, both in the placid instrumental part in the beginning and in the calming vocals. Even when the song goes into heavier sections, it still manages to keep this distinctive leisurely pace somehow. I don’t know if my favourite are the serene parts or the intense ones, but this song is definitely a good one; nice usage of vocals and incredible music underneath them. I’ll check those guys out, I think.

7.5/10

Dr. DTVT: Phideaux – Gift of the Flame

Is this guy the one who sang with Simone on 010111001? I never bothered to check out his solo career. I was wrong. Despite the awkward transitions, which are present a lot in the intro, this song is incredible. The female voice is heavenly beautiful and playful, and the pace is great. That’s how the light-hearted, happy progressive rock should be done, in my opinion — this is loads better than your Xen submission, for example. Saxophone adds a special flavour to this song too. All in all, this track just shines with life and positive energy, it lights my mood considerably and it leaves me wanting for more music from this project. Also, Wikipedia says this album is a concept one with the main character being a dormouse. Sounds interesting! I will certainly check this man’s music after this roulette is over. Any recommendations which albums I should pick up first?

9/10

Shadow Ninja 2.0: Killer Be Killed – Wings of Feather and Wax

After that Steam Powered Giraffe song I was wondering what you have to offer for this round. I decided not to watch the video, because this way I wanted to hear the difference between vocalists, not to see it. And, hell, to the untrained ear those guys are quite similar, but they’re still distinguishable, I’ll give you that. One is quite aggressive in his singing (we even get growls here! Do you know what I think about growls? Right.) and the second one is quite melodic in his singing, so I guess it fits the theme. But let’s get to the important part. Did I enjoy the song? Totally not. The only cool part is the chorus, and the first verse is somewhat enjoyable too. I’m glad this one is relatively short though, because it’s almost painful to listen when the second verse kicks in with that full-growl mode. At ~2:00 mark I just want to turn this off. Sorry man, warned you about the growls, and this one was a total miss.

2.5/10

Tyrias / senecadawg2: Damien Rice – 9 Crimes

I love ballads, so this was probably a good call. This song reminds me of The Tallest Man on Earth submission in the ballads round, featuring the same calm piano parts, only with more intense ending. I like the placid, serene and at the same time grim atmosphere in the beginning, and I love this outburst towards the end. Great usage of string instruments beneath the piano arrangement, and the ending is just magnificent with two vocalists singing at once. Beautiful and sad, this song is just a perfect fit for the theme, not to mention it’s a total pleasure to listen to. This guy in the video reminds me of myself a bit, walking the street and singing something when no one is around. Seneca, I like how you’re sending me the stuff I normally don’t listen to, but somehow it turns out to be so sweet, enjoyable and plain awesome. Tyrias, this applies to your last three entries as well. Good job, guys.

8.5/10

Scorpion: Kylie Minogue & Nick Cave – Where the Wild Roses Grow

I can’t believe you actually decided to try this one; but I’ve got to say, this is better than I actually expected, because I thought this song would be total shit somehow. I know, stupid prejudices and stuff, so I tried to listen to this song with an open mind, and I won’t say I liked it, but it’s alright. My main complain about this song is that the male voice is so dull and emotionless I found myself wishing to skip his singing parts whenever they come up. The female voice is actually nice and that’s what warranted this song a better score. The music behind the singing is alright too, but the chorus lacks some… well, not punch, but it lacks something. So basically this tune is good when Kylie sings, bad when Nick sings, and pretty average when the chorus comes up. And there’s just no pay off at all, unlike that Damien Rice song, for example. I like the lyrics here though, but musically it’s a big borefest, I dunno. I didn’t like this song, but I didn’t dislike it either. Unimpressive tune.

4.5/10

lonestar: Amadeus Awad’s Eon – Incarnation

You know, man, this is outright cheating right here. Russell Allen and Amanda Somerville? In a project I know about but haven’t heard it because of my laziness? Cheating, I call it. However, for some weird reasons no one even thought about sending this one, so I guess it wasn’t that obvious. This song is just awesome big time. I can’t find anything to complain about, and I can find a lot of stuff to praise. Catchy riffs and outstandingly amazing acoustic break with that Egyptian vibe? Check. Soaring Russell’s vocals both in verses and choruses with brilliant guitar playing underneath? Check. That powerful Amanda’s part complementing those four minutes of awesomeness before it? Check. Seems like you really want to take the lead in this roulette. Damnable win, man, this album is going straight to the check-it-out-as-soon-as-possible list…

9.5/10

Parama: Bodies of Water – Under the Pines

Every roulette should have a player that throws absolutely random entries at the host and seemingly doesn’t give a damn about his results. Well, in my roulette that’s you, because I seriously have no idea what to expect from you each round. After the first two minutes I even started to think you’ve sent me an instrumental just for the sake of it. Then the vocals came up, and they’re fitting the song pretty well, I must say. Quiet verses and exploding choruses, all with the audible bass line, this is not what I usually listen to, but it’s right up my alley anyway. Groovy, playful and quirky track, I indeed liked it.

8/10

ErHaO: Serenity – Wing of Madness

Another song with the word “wing” in the title, and this one is much better than the other. Your description made it sound like this tune is some masterpiece of ages, and while it’s obviously not, it’s still a great one. Love the keyboards and the distinctive power metal guitars all around and the female voice singing behind the instruments. The first word “out” comes off as very Seventh Wonder-ish (think Unbreakable, line “I can see young ones in the park”. This “out” is so similar with “I”. Might be just me though.) The verses I think could use more intense singing, because they kind of feel hollow, the choruses however are standard power metal fare – which I tend to love, especially this “We can cross the distance away from reason / I can’t stand the silence embracing you at night” delivery. Great fit for the theme too, I like both male and female voices. Though I have to point out that this album cover is pretty awful and I don’t want to ever look at it again. And I kind of will have to look at it when I buy this one. Too bad. Otherwise, incredible stuff, man, seems like you’re on fire now!

9/10

wolfking: Scar Symmetry – The Spiral Timeshift

Growls? Growls! It’s a great metal, except it really would’ve been better without growls, in my opinion. I like the pace and the riffs, but growls? Nah. Great solo, alright clean vocals, nice slower pace on the solo too, but I really don’t see a point in growls being there. You know, given how one man’s growls can sound different from the clean vocals, I don’t think I would’ve been ready to bet on two vocalists being in this song, but quick check on Wikipedia assured me there were actually two of them. Well man, you knew what you were going for. At least a lot of stuff happens in this track, and some of this stuff is actually good and listenable. Your song is better than the other growly one mostly because of the instrumentation. Still, I don’t think I like it enough to be good, but I actually like it enough to be better than average. Certainly not the worst growly song I've ever heard. I wish that bridge wouldn’t exist though. In fact, the whole tune not much worse than that C2C song you’ve sent me previous round, so there’s that.

6/10

bl5150: Hear N’ Aid – Stars

I’ll be honest, I never expected someone to send me a song from the charity project in my roulette, with 8 lead vocalists, 30 backing vocalists, 9 lead guitarists and bunch of other people, and the funniest thing I’ve heard about nearly every one of those guys. And I never expected this one would actually work. While some unexperienced ear can think this is actually one man singing, because the voices are somewhat similar, for me it’s nearly always obvious who sings what even without your PM here. Actually, sending this song is basically cheating too, almost as much as sending that Amadeus Awad song RJ did, because as you said, this is pretty much Dio song just with a very huge amount of guests. And you know, this is just so awesome. I was sitting with a broad smile on my face during this whole song. I don’t know if you realize how much you’ve made my whole first-listen day by sending this, but I hope you do. My only complaint is that it’s the only original song on the album, but of course I’m going to listen to the whole thing anyway.

9/10

mikemangioy: Mastodon – Oblivion

You know, Mastodon was on my list of the bands to check out, but quite far and away from top, because from all the reviews I’ve read I gathered this won’t be my thing. Well, I wouldn’t say I was wrong, because while I don’t enjoy this song a lot, I acknowledge it’s good and has some appealing parts for me. But you know what the thing was? Those two or more vocalists in the song were supposed to be the main focus, because, well, I wanted to hear good contrast and good usage of vocalists in the song. This song is about everything except vocalists, because they’re totally not impressive for me. This tune is good at creating atmosphere, it’s good at the guitarwork, but, well, it’s totally unexciting in the vocals department. You’re getting better with each entry though! I’m expecting something worth a nine in the six round from you.

6.5/10

Standings with a cut line, which will matter after Round 6, so you probably should start worrying about it (the second post in this thread is also updated):

bl5150 - 35.5
lonestar - 34.5
senecadawg2 - 32
Dr. DTVT - 30.5
Tyrias - 29
wolfking - 29

Scorpion (with a guest appearance from TAC) - 28
ErHaO - 28
Sacul - 27
Parama - 26.5
Shadow Ninja 2.0 - 23
mikemangioy - 19.5

We've got our first change in Top 6! Scorp loses his spot there to Tyrias, who continues his streak of brilliant submissions. Brent and RJ broaden the gap between them and the other participants to 2.5 points now, and while Seneca tries hard to catch up to them, it isn't working so far. Mason fortified his position in the upper half by sending a great Phideaux song, and Kade is still up there despite the entry full of growls.

ErHaO and Scorp are still have the good chances to get into the Top 6 before the elimination takes place; Sacul and Parama are still fighting for those top spots too; Shadow Ninja and mikemangioy are in quite perilous position now. There are still two rounds before the cut, so choose your songs wisely.

Additions to the banned list:

Pure Reason Revolution
Phideaux
Damien Rice
Amadeus Awad's Eon
Bodies of Water
Serenity
Hear N' Aid

Round 5 begins now in the next post.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 05:01:01 AM by Evermind »

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: February 20, 2015, 04:51:48 AM »
Round 5: Open

Another open round, but this time the length limit is 15 minutes, so if you wanted to send some long proggy stuff, well, it's the time! (I know Scorp wanted to send 14-minutes long song :D) You should pretty much know my tastes now, so I expect some really great tunes from you guys.

Also, I'm going to Eluveitie gig tonight, and I'll be away for the whole weekend celebrating something, so the first listen won't occur until Sunday evening or even Monday afternoon. I think I've managed to keep a good pace so far, so I hope this delay won't be that crucial. I will still be able to read forums and PMs though.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #221 on: February 20, 2015, 04:55:27 AM »
Brent, outstanding call with Hear N Aid!!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: February 20, 2015, 04:58:53 AM »
Brent, outstanding call with Hear N Aid!!

Of course, we should have picked that one, great stuff.

Actually happy with my 6/10 for Scar Symmetry.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #223 on: February 20, 2015, 05:03:21 AM »
Actually happy with my 6/10 for Scar Symmetry.

Yeah, I was kind of surprised at how good it was despite the load of growls. They decreased my enjoyment from the song severely, sure, but it wasn't that bad.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #224 on: February 20, 2015, 06:49:00 AM »
oh nooooooo

will send soon

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #225 on: February 20, 2015, 06:50:15 AM »
Glad you enjoyed it. And good call, Tyrias!

I'll send the next round by the end of the day
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #226 on: February 20, 2015, 08:21:49 AM »
Yeah I don't think of vocal performances when I think of Mastodon  :lol
To be fair, I don't think of Mastodon much as they've always been "good" but not "amazing"

Anyways I'mma send in my recent obsession this time around yaaay

Online ErHaO

« Reply #227 on: February 20, 2015, 09:09:49 AM »
Cool! Glad you enjoyed it! Seventh Wonder never really occured to me, but you are not wrong on that. I kind of expected you to notice the singers voice, which is really akin to Tony Kakko in some ways (more apparent in other songs though, and not constantly. In the song I sent a moment are his solo lines at the beginning of the last chorus). And the cover, well, I have seen better ones indeed  :P

And my epic description was more of Serenity's general musical direction, not specifically this song. If you like this song, I can absolutely recommend the record, which is really consistent, well paced and contains better songs (with the female vocalist doing background vocals most of the time, so I chose this one). A major Kamelot friend recommended it to me, saying it was better than Silverthorn. While I do not agree with that (I love Silverthorn quite a bit), it is most definately a quality album. And their previous three records are awesome as well (also a bit more progressive metal elements, War of the Ages is more pure symphonic power metal I think).

Also, I think I might take a risky move coming round. Sooo, a question; I saw you have a friend that is a massive Ensiferum fan, how does the music fare with you? And with that I mean the instrumental side mainly (tempo, guitars and the folk?). (Not going to bother you with an all out melodic folk death song full of crappy sounding growlers btw, not to worry).

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #228 on: February 20, 2015, 09:13:08 AM »
Oh....

Hell......

Yeah............

I'll send round 5, or as I like to call it, the pain, later tonight. This will be the song I take the lead with.......

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #229 on: February 20, 2015, 09:21:41 AM »
Damnit I should have called Hear'N Aid.  That was one of my guesses.

As for Phideaux albums, my suggested order is: Number 7, Doomsday Afternoon, Snowtorch, Chupacabras, Fiendish, Ghost Story, The Great Leap, 313.  The last three are kind of close, but I think most fans would agree with my top 2 and bottom 3.  313 is still good, it's just not as awesome as those first two.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #230 on: February 20, 2015, 10:42:33 AM »
Ok, this makes my plans obsolete :lol . Should I try to send you great songs that may grant me a place in the top, so I can keep sending you crap, or use my last two rounds for that? Will decide soon. By the way, that album is amazing, so be sure to check it out.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #231 on: February 20, 2015, 11:26:25 AM »
Glad you liked it! How many times do you listen to the submitted songs? Cause I'm thinking of sending a song that took a few listens for me to fall in love with  ;).
Also, don't Eluveitie have growls? ::)

Online ErHaO

« Reply #232 on: February 20, 2015, 12:37:32 PM »
I really love that Phideaux song by the way! And I will most certainly check out that project Lonestar sent.

Have not yet had the time to listen to all previous rounds, but expect some cool songs in them as well.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #233 on: February 20, 2015, 01:21:18 PM »
I can't quote a lot from my phone, so here are the answers:

ErHaO, I really enjoy the folky side of Ensiferum or Eluveitie for that matter. It's the growls that turn me off from it.

Mason, thanks for the recommendations, I'll be sure to buy them in that order.

Tyrias, I usually listen to each song five times, but if the song is really long, the number may be reduced to 3 or 4. Also, Eluveitie indeed has growls, but I've been invited by my friend, and also I tolerate growls live much more than in studio. The gig was actually awesome. I really enjoyed the violin and the hurdy-gurdy sound, and the female vocals too. Growls weren't too bad live, really.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #234 on: February 20, 2015, 04:05:45 PM »
there were like 5 songs from this band i could've sent so i just said screw it and went with the longest one.

sent.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #235 on: February 21, 2015, 11:32:19 AM »
Yeah, I guess that Mastodon are not that great singing-wise. Anyways, sent!
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: February 21, 2015, 07:50:15 PM »
Sent.  I think I have a lot of awesome lined up if I make the cutoff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #237 on: February 22, 2015, 12:54:59 AM »
i won't get to enter one band i really want to send if i don't make the cutoff but other than that i'd be pretty happy with what i got to share, i still have nothing for the epic round anyways  :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #238 on: February 22, 2015, 03:03:00 AM »
Still need Tyrias, Kade and ErHaO's entries. I'll try to do a first listen this evening.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #239 on: February 22, 2015, 03:14:44 AM »
Will send mine within the hour.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: February 22, 2015, 04:29:47 AM »
Sent

Online ErHaO

« Reply #241 on: February 22, 2015, 04:55:12 AM »
Will send my song very soon! Had a very busy weekend unexpectedly. Sorry.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #242 on: February 22, 2015, 05:00:39 AM »
Sent as well!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #243 on: February 22, 2015, 05:30:46 AM »
Alright, everyone's in. Two participants sent the same band, they went with different songs though. Another two participants' entries are completely identical. Didn't expect such coincidences in the open round.

Online ErHaO

« Reply #244 on: February 22, 2015, 05:36:30 AM »
Sent! I took the more risky song.

But since you said the main thing that keeps you from enjoying records from artists like Ensiferum are the growls, this could potentially be an awesome song (and album) for you. At the very least it has a brief guest appearance I'm sure you will enjoy  ;D But no shortage of cheese, and your taste has this fine line between what is too much and what is not that I do not have a feeling for (yet). Vocals (especially the soft ones) are a bit unique too. Let's see!

Also, never liked this artist at all, but after seeing their new album in a few top power metal lists from last year I decided to yt it and I was hooked  :metal