Author Topic: Evermind's Unsophisticated Roulette v. Round 8 Results - We have a winner!  (Read 42894 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Evermind's Unsophisticated Roulette v. Round 2 Results - Send for Round 3!
« Reply #140 on: February 09, 2015, 09:47:37 PM »

This is the band I wanted to check out for a long time, but somehow never did.

I think I might know who you're talking about......had it on my mind for future rounds.

While we're at it , how do you feel about instrumental stuff?
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: February 09, 2015, 10:22:04 PM »
As long as that instrumental stuff is good and interesting, I don't mind, but if it fails to grab my attention, it will probably get very little points.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #142 on: February 09, 2015, 11:51:15 PM »
answer with a yes or no, evermind
is the band he sent on the artist list i sent

i just wanna make sure i'm not getting sniped :V
and okay that's fine regarding suites i guess

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: February 10, 2015, 12:20:05 AM »
answer with a yes or no, evermind
is the band he sent on the artist list i sent

i just wanna make sure i'm not getting sniped :V
and okay that's fine regarding suites i guess

I've deleted your PM with the artist list because I needed space in my inbox. :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #144 on: February 10, 2015, 12:22:59 AM »
okay whatever then  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: February 10, 2015, 05:16:20 AM »
Sent.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: February 10, 2015, 08:05:14 AM »
Alright, so I need songs from Mason, Sacul and mikemanjioy, and I'll start listening then.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: February 10, 2015, 10:16:10 AM »
I'm going to sleep now; if I'll get all three remaining songs in 24 hours, I'll start listening to them tomorrow evening. Also, Scorp, I've sent you a PM about your song, please make sure you'll check it out.

Also, I should've known better than to allow a 30-seconds breach of limit for the song's length. We're at DTF, after all. See, first I've got 10:29 song in Round 2, now I get 10:28 song in Round 3. :rollin

And looking on the list of bands you guys sent me for this round so far, I have a feeling it'll be the strongest one yet. We'll see how it turns out pretty soon, I guess.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #148 on: February 10, 2015, 10:25:36 AM »
if it helps, this is the closest I plan on getting to the length limit for the entire roulette, I have a 4-minute song picked out for the 6-minute round  :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #149 on: February 10, 2015, 12:24:32 PM »
I'm deciding if sending you something you might like, or will probably be more miss than hit. Will send later.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #150 on: February 10, 2015, 02:50:03 PM »
Round three s-s-s-seeeeent
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: February 11, 2015, 08:51:23 AM »
Alright, as it's been almost 48 hours since Round 3 began, I'm starting my first listen to the 10 songs I have in my inbox. I'll post my thoughts in a few hours.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: February 11, 2015, 11:07:01 AM »
So, first listen for those ten songs is done, lots of long ones this round. Basically, I don't think this round was the strongest, but it was probably the most consistent so far. Lots of prog this time, and while there is a clear leader so far, there are few songs ranked at 8.5, and they may grow on me yet. I'll need a few more listens to adjust the scores, because some songs are just impossible to digest on the very first try.

The ranking range is 5.0 - 9.0.

A few quick thoughts:

Quote from: Evermind
The intro is simply godlike. Very intense, dramatic and haunting at the same time; and then the vocals add to the whole ominous picture.

Cool relaxed little song, but overall not something I’m dying to hear again.

Maybe that’s just me, but some parts of this song remind me of Dream Theater.

The mood, the beastly instrumental and vocal slaughter feel totally appropriate for a song like that. I really want to spin this again.

So far, this song has too much going on and all these parts are connected in a somewhat awkward way.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #153 on: February 11, 2015, 11:40:39 AM »
my scores are gonna go like this
7 -> 6 -> 5 -> 4 -> 3 -> 2 and then i get cut at this point so it can't go to 1 -> 0 but it would otherwise

also i like that i can't be too sure if any of these are comments on mine this time, last round i was pretty sure but this round two or three of them could apply but then none of them could apply too  :lol
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 01:18:35 PM by Parama »

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #154 on: February 11, 2015, 03:41:16 PM »
Sorry, sent :blush .

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Evermind's Unsophisticated Roulette v. Round 3 - Listening mode
« Reply #155 on: February 11, 2015, 09:26:08 PM »
Everyone's in. Since there are quite a lot of songs over 7 minutes in length, I may need an extra day to post the results. Expect them at Saturday evening.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #156 on: February 12, 2015, 04:19:59 AM »
I'm on holiday next week and not quite sure if I'll have good internet access there. Can I send the next round (or 2 rounds) in advance?

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: February 12, 2015, 10:22:26 AM »
Yeah, sure, why not. I'll send you Round 4 description in an hour.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #158 on: February 13, 2015, 02:19:13 PM »
As for the next round, what are the rules of two or more vocalists? Is one main vocalist with prominent vocal harmonies/groups singing also okay? Still figuring out what to send, given that all songs featuring more vocalists that do not suck balls are banned (from the top of my head) or quite far from comfort zone/Dutch language.

(offcourse, you might love the songs I think suck balls, so I can always send one of those ;D)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 02:26:43 PM by ErHaO »

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: February 13, 2015, 02:21:41 PM »
Well, I've got those questions covered in the Round 4 description, and I'm going to post it tomorrow along with the results, mostly for the sake of consistensy. If it's really important to you and you want to know it now, I guess I can send you a PM. I suggest to wait just one more day though. ;)

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #160 on: February 13, 2015, 02:26:15 PM »
Nah, thats cool. I'll wait!

It is not like I am in the running for the glory of winning this anyways  :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: February 13, 2015, 02:27:13 PM »
Nah, thats cool. I'll wait!

It is not like I am in the running for the glory of winning this anyways  :lol

Well, you've got something else than 5.5 for Round 3, I can tell you that much. :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #162 on: February 13, 2015, 02:48:06 PM »
Don't be too restrictive with the coming round, I only got one submissable album. :p

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: February 13, 2015, 02:53:21 PM »
Don't be too restrictive with the coming round, I only got one submissable album. :p

Oh, there will be no restrictions except the song will have to have more than one vocalist. You'll find out the exact deal in the Round 4 post. ;D

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #164 on: February 13, 2015, 03:48:29 PM »
my pick:
song that pretty much features the band's two main vocalists harmonizing the entire way through
backup entry: song by the same band where both main vocalists have solo bits that's 95% as good
iirc I think every member that plays in this band, permanent or temporary, sings something, so

think i'm set either way

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: February 14, 2015, 03:57:30 AM »
my pick:
song that pretty much features the band's two main vocalists harmonizing the entire way through
backup entry: song by the same band where both main vocalists have solo bits that's 95% as good
iirc I think every member that plays in this band, permanent or temporary, sings something, so

think i'm set either way

:tup

Alright, after five listens I do think it's the strongest round yet. A lot of songs grew on me, so there'll be a lot of high marks this time. I'll give the songs one more listen, do the write-ups and I'll post the results in 10 hours from now on.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Evermind's Unsophisticated Roulette v. Round 3 Results - Send for Round 4!
« Reply #166 on: February 14, 2015, 09:57:27 AM »
Alright, so I've warned you, a lot of high scores this round. Seems like you guys start getting a grasp on my tastes, I've enjoyed nearly every song this round. Keep it up!

Round 3: Results

Tyrias: Arstidir – Shades

I don’t think it sounds classical, actually; I think it sounds quite folky instead, which is an awesome thing. I love violin, that’s why I enjoy, say, Ne Obliviscaris. The instrumental intro and outro are simply godlike, with intense use of the violin the music comes off as dramatic and haunting at the same time; and the longing vocals add to the whole ominous picture. While this tune is relatively short compared to the other tracks in this round, it achieves a lot in these four minutes, successfully creating a somber atmosphere. There are some moments in the middle of this tune (around ~2:15) I could live without, but overall this song is nearly excellent. I’ll check this album out.

8.5/10

ErHaO: Circus Maximus – Glory of the Empire

Alright, this is the band I’ve always wanted to check out and somehow I’ve never had a chance to; I’ve seen it being discussed at the great length at DTF, so this entry was probably the most interesting for me. My first impression was that this song indeed sounds a lot like Seventh Wonder, and I like Seventh Wonder, so that’s a great thing. This song is a bliss in the instrumental department, so basically I have exactly two complaints about this song: first, I think it could’ve been a bit shorter, because I felt my attention drift away a few times; second, the vocals aren’t great and probably will take some more time for me to get used to. When the vocalist starts to get to the high notes, he sounds amazing though, accompanied by all the instrumental epicness surrounding his voice. I love the keyboards throughout the song, the quiet intro was also great, and overall the grandiloquent bearing of this song is much exciting. The ending could be more bombastic though, because I think it kind of falls flat after that lot of buildup, but all in all, this is a good one. I’ll definitely check Circus Maximus after this roulette, this song pretty much convinced me to do it. Awesome choice!

8/10

lonestar: Headspace – Die With A Bullet

Yeah, this is indeed far from “ballad shit” as you’ve eloquently put it a few days ago. I’ve heard a mild, soft side of Damian Wilson in the previous round, and I was obviously interested in his ruthless, heavy side. After this song I’ve found out I definitely like this balls-to-the-wall approach much better. If there’s something to be expected from a song named Die With A Bullet, it’s that pounding and relentless approach this song throws at you from the very beginning. The vocal melodies in the chorus are like a hammer driving the countless nails into something. The whole first half of the song is basically a raging battlefield; the second half lowers the energy in the beginning, then continues to build it for the next few minutes gradually; then the song goes totally wild in the end with its stunningly outstanding conclusion. Quite an exhausting listen, but very rewarding. That’s another album to check out, amazing stuff.

9/10

Sacul: Brand New – Sowing Season

You know, when I sent you stuff I thought you’d like in your roulette, those rounds turned out to end quite nice for me, I usually got 7.5 + 5 points. I don’t have any special points in my roulette, and since our tastes are quite different from each other, you have to rely only to the strength of the song itself. And the thing is, I actually don’t like most of the alternative rock out there. (ba-dum-tish) And this isn’t much different. I don’t dislike it like thrash, I can listen to it and enjoy it mostly, but it doesn’t have anything exciting in it for me, and this song is no exception. It’s basically a standard fare of alternative rock, and while a standard fare of the genres I love can get a lot of points, this one can only get a few of them.

6.5/10

Scorpion: Lost in Thought – Beyond the Flames

So, after sending me a 14-minutes long song first, you’ve settled on this one. You know, with all the progressive stuff I’ve got in this batch, I wasn’t even sure what to think after my first listen. However, when I gave each song a few more listens, I think they all grew on me one way or another. Your song isn’t an exception, though it was the one I regarded highly on the first listen too. Some parts of this song totally remind me of Dream Theater. This song channels quite an epic vibe, which is right up my alley; I also enjoy the vocals when they’re not muddled by some weird vocal effects, and the soaring vocal melodies are a big advantage of this song, in the chorus especially. Overall, it’s quite a cohesive song with impressive, daring vocals and solid instrumental parts all the way through. Nothing groundbreaking, but epic and enjoyable, and I have a soft spot for the songs like that. Nice pick.

8/10

Dr. DTVT: Pendragon – Eraserhead

Yeah, I can indeed see why you sent this knowing I’m a big fan of IQ. This is spectacularly similar to their work, and even the mix is quite alike. The funny thing is, IQ is probably the only band playing this neo-progressive rock genre I listen to; I’ve never put any effort into discovering more, because IQ was quite enough for me. However, I’ve already regretted this decision after just a listen to this. The instrumental constituent of this song is flawless for me, while the vocals are a bit underwhelming — this is no Peter Nicholis with his distinctive ringing, melodic voice — but I enjoy mostly blunt approach of Nick Barrett too. His vocals fit the music quite well, and while being nothing spectacular, they sound like they belong there. But for me, this is basically the difference between this and IQ: Peter’s voice elevates the music, bringing it to a higher level of awesomeness, and Nick’s voice adds nothing to the song here for me, but at the same time it doesn’t ruin it too. I liked the song, and I’ll check this band out, but I wish the vocals were more memorable.

7.5/10

bl5150: Morifade – Panopticon

If I will ever need to get some cheesy, yet enjoyable hard rock or power metal, I know I definitely can count on you, man. This is indeed quite technical song; I like how the guitar riffs and drum patterns aren’t that obvious for a power metal. Some bands actually go for an easy way out, bringing that double bass technique for every fast song, but those guys are actually quite creative with those complex yet headbang-inducing parts between the vocal lines. The singer’s voice is a bit raw and quite powerful too, I think it goes well with the whole mood the song tries to create. It reminds me of RJ’s entry, while those two songs are so different, they share a certain theme and the mood really reflects it. I really can use some more bands like this one in my collection, fine power metal right here. The only thing I’m not fond enough of is the mix, it feels a bit lifeless and inanimate; and while I understand it’s probably a part of the whole concept all along, it does take some of enjoyment of this song away from me. Otherwise, it’s an excellent track. I wonder if you’re even capable of sending something I won’t enjoy.

8/10

Shadow Ninja 2.0: Steam Powered Giraffe – Brass Goggles

Seriously. This band wins the Most WTF Band’s Name Award for this round definitely, and their name actually suits the music. Strange weird bluesy stuff, which is totally not my thing whatsoever… and I actually like this song a lot. I don’t even know what is so appealing about it, but the whole thing is done explicitly well, with all the harmonies and melodies. The whole awkwardness and bizarreness of this song works incredibly well. The bluesy keyboards work so great with the singer’s voice, which is yet another highlight of the song. It’s not something I would revisit often, but it’s good and interesting enough for me to check the whole album out. I need some weird stuff in my library sometimes, and this is lovely, so why not?

8.5/10

mikemangioy: The Aristocrats – Blues Fuckers

I’ve heard of this band, of course, because Marco and Guthrie are both quite prominent in Steven Wilson’s solo work, but as it’s the instrumental stuff, I’ve never been bold enough to check them out. The beginning reminds me of Opeth – The Devil Orchard a bit. This is interesting enough, actually, groovy and technical, and I guess it’s an awesome track for the fellow bass players out there, because I’m impressed by this bassline, and I don’t even play it. But the song lacks melody and cohesiveness, and while it’s quite fascinating for the first time, it doesn’t have a lot of lasting power for the subsequent listens, and I’m not sure I’m even prepared to listen to the whole album like that. The bass was definitely a highlight and the groove is impeccable, but that’s about it. Totally better than your previous entries though, I guess you’re getting better at this with each round.

6/10

Parama: Caligula’s Horse – All Is Quiet By the Wall

Another long track, and also overly progressive. This one feels like a mash-up of different songs and pieces hastily glued together. Either it’s too much of a grower, or just totally incohesive piece, because after the six listens I still don’t remember how it goes at all. The actual parts are nice enough, with tolerable vocals and good instrumentation, but somehow I just can’t perceive this song as a whole. It sounds like a sample selection from an album. The transitions are too awkward and unexpected for me. The material itself is nice, but this just doesn’t truly feel like a song. The solo in the end is fantastic though.

5.5/10

senecadawg2: RPWL – Unchain The Earth

So, this song is basically the classic progressive rock, and the thing with progressive rock is that while there are some bands and songs I enjoy immensely, there are also some songs that make me go “well, this is pretty much forgettable”. And if it wasn’t for the vocalist, this one would’ve been more like the latter; but the vocalist really saves this one, because his voice appeals for me a lot for some reason. It’s pretty ordinary, but it’s soulful, wistful and longing, and I tend to enjoy those kind of singers quite a lot. I think this song would be nice to listen in spring or summer; it’s uplifting and energizing, and I could use stuff like that in my music collection too. This song lacks something to make it truly great, but it’s a cool relaxed progressive rock. I’m not dying to hear it again, but I don’t mind listening to something like that occasionally. Good one.

7/10

wolfking: Circle II Circle – Heal You

This pick is understandable, since you know I enjoy Savatage, and in fact I wanted to check this band out for a while. My only expectation for this song was the powerful vocal performance from Zak, and it’s indeed there; the guitarwork and the keyboard touches were also nice; the vocal melodies, though, left me pretty unexcited even with overwhelmingly good Zak’s delivery. The verses were good enough, but the chorus totally fell flat, it was just underwhelming. I guess this song would be nice to jump up at on a live gig, but for the studio version it just doesn’t work. Maybe that’s just the case with this particular song, and the whole album has a lot of great tunes, but this one was kind of not that memorable, sorry. Anyway, it was way better than some things I’ve received in this roulette.

6.5/10

Standings with a cut line, which will matter after Round 6, so you probably should start worrying about it (the second post in this thread is also updated):

bl5150 - 26.5
lonestar - 25
Scorpion (with a guest appearance from TAC) - 23.5
senecadawg2 - 23.5
wolfking - 23
Dr. DTVT - 21.5

Shadow Ninja 2.0 - 20.5
Tyrias - 20.5
Sacul - 19.5
ErHaO - 19
Parama - 18.5
mikemangioy - 13

Top 6 still stays unchanged, huh. Brent is still in the lead, but he has only 1.5 points more than RJ, who leaped up with his excellent round-winning Headspace entry. Scorp just keeps sending awesome songs and Seneca holds his place firmly while Kade dropped for a few places. Mason keeps his one point lead over the group of pursuers...

...where Parama and Sacul lost their top places to Shadow Ninja and Tyrias (who is on fire, in fact). I know for some of you it may seem hopeless, but even if you're three points behind the cut-line, you still have a chance. It's still three rounds more until the elimination. (Mike, sorry, I have no encouraging words for you right now. :lol)

Additions to the banned list:

Arstidir
Circus Maximus
Headspace
Lost in Thought
Pendragon
Morifade
Steam Powered Giraffe

Now, let's start the Round 4!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 11:16:00 AM by Evermind »

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: February 14, 2015, 09:57:59 AM »
Round 4: Two or more vocalists

So, well, the theme is kind of self-explanatory. However, there are few things I would like to address. Those are not restrictions, but more like a preferences.

First, I would prefer both vocalists to be lead ones. Not some distant singer on backing vocals, not a choir, but two or more singers sharing the lead vocals duty over the song. Second, and probably the most important thing, the singers should be distinguishable from each other.

However, you can send stuff with backing vocals too, or you can even go ahead and sent some live track with a guest vocalist which wasn't on the studio record. I realize finding a song fitting those preferences might be kind of difficult, so I won't be taking any points from you guys for that, but I just wanted to explain what I prefer to hear.

Oh, and I recommend you to avoid the usual "beauty and the beast" approach with one brutal growler and one heavenly, beautiful female voice. These songs would fit the theme, true, but I'm not sure if I want to discover more bands like that.

So with that now out in the field, I'm looking forward to your songs! The length limit is 10 minutes again.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #168 on: February 14, 2015, 10:07:20 AM »
Damn. I was waiting to send both Headspace and Circus Maximus in later rounds.  :-\
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #169 on: February 14, 2015, 10:08:14 AM »
sent

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: February 14, 2015, 10:12:59 AM »
Damn. I was waiting to send both Headspace and Circus Maximus in later rounds.  :-\

Yeah, both bands are totally banned now. In fact, I'm listening to Daddy Fucking Loves You now and it's damn excellent. Hell of a song right there.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #171 on: February 14, 2015, 10:14:55 AM »
Yeah that's the one I was going to send, for the epic round
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #172 on: February 14, 2015, 10:18:55 AM »
Yeah that's the one I was going to send, for the epic round

Awwwww man, cockblocked by the big guy on Valentine's Day no less.  Sucks bro........

Sent.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #173 on: February 14, 2015, 10:20:18 AM »
If I make it to the epic round, I'm totally sending Devil Doll.

This is safe to say, since no one else will want to. :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #174 on: February 14, 2015, 10:27:10 AM »
how low can I go  :tup

sending right now