Author Topic: DT13 Official Post Your Tracklist & Artwork Here V. MetroPLS 111!  (Read 46951 times)

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
Re: DT13 Official Post Your Tracklist & Artwork Here V. MetroPLS 111!
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2015, 05:09:02 PM »
Sorry I don't have artwork to go with this,
But here's my idea, love it or hate it...

Album title: The Inevitable Continuance-

2) The Relentless Controversy (15:26) A lyrical collaboration by the entire band, or at least Petrucci, LaBrie and Myung, about the existence of God, and how to interpret who and what He is...

:corn

I think it would be pretty cool, but I'm not fond of the idea because shitstorm
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2015, 05:14:26 PM »
You mean because so many people are-for lack of a better way of saying it-"anti-GOD?"
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline Lucien

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2015, 05:22:01 PM »
You mean because so many people are-for lack of a better way of saying it-"anti-GOD?"

Some people are like that. It's called atheism. I wouldn't be surprised if a bunch of fans left because Dream Theater wrote a blatantly Christian song (of course this is a rather immature reaction, but I wouldn't be surprised at all). Besides, I don't even know if everyone in the band would support that idea.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2015, 05:49:08 PM »
I'd love DT even more if they wrote a devoutly pro-Christian song  :biggrin:

The chorus to I walk Beside You could be interpreted as such.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2015, 06:32:25 PM »
2) The Relentless Controversy (15:26) A lyrical collaboration by the entire band, or at least Petrucci, LaBrie and Myung, about the existence of God, and how to interpret who and what He is...

No offense to DT, but after having read the lyrics to TGD, I just don't think they're cut out to write lyrics about heavyweight topics.

That said, your idea of giving explanations to song titles got me intrigued. Here it goes:

1. Fifteen Years -A song about a woman who stole a baby from a stroller and, while shortly after regretting the action, has raised the child as her own daughter for the last 15 years because she's afraid to disclose her initial crime.
2. Ding - A completely whimsical mega-prog tune, written by JR
3. Band of brothers - About the exhilaration, the companionship, the lonely nights, that come with touring with 5 dudes around the world.
4. LGA - Homage to YYZ
5. Beyond - Song about how Hawking radiation might violate conditional locality. The song ends with each member of DT stopping to play at different times, and at the end MM saying "I have no idea what the fuck this song is about. I'm gonna go watch the Pats."
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 06:45:52 PM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2015, 06:47:40 PM »

Some people are like that. It's called atheism. I wouldn't be surprised if a bunch of fans left because Dream Theater wrote a blatantly Christian song (of course this is a rather immature reaction, but I wouldn't be surprised at all). Besides, I don't even know if everyone in the band would support that idea.

I don't know what happened, but I wrote a response to this post earlier.

Somehow it managed to disappear.

Anyway, the idea I had was NOT intended to be "blatantly Christian."

It was to explore the different possibilities of who or what God is.

weather I or anyone else would agree or disagree with any ideas or possibilities that they come up with wouldn't matter.

Also, I find it very hard to believe that anyone who doesn't believe in ANYTHING spiritual could be a Dream Theater fan , as they are a VERY spiritual band.

They have several songs that mention God, angels "unearthly guide,' Afterlife, spirits, forces of evil...need I go on?
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2015, 06:54:09 PM »
I've never seen DT as a very spiritual band at all, personally. I can't imagine an atheist listening to any DT song and thinking, "Whoa, this is just WAY too spiritual for me".

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2015, 06:54:53 PM »
It's always rather interesting to see how every person maps their personal framework over the lyrics they listen to. I personally have never perceived DT to be particularly religious or spiritual. In fact, given how there was zero reference to any higher power in all of the 12-step suite (where the AA system specifically asks for one), I find DT's religious affiliations apocryphal at best. I frankly think they're just a bunch of guys with cultural ties to various religions, but none of them cares enough to really write about the matter.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2015, 06:59:09 PM »

I don't know what happened, but I wrote a response to this post earlier.

Somehow it managed to disappear.

Anyway, the idea I had was NOT intended to be "blatantly Christian."

It was to explore the different possibilities of who or what God is.

weather I or anyone else would agree or disagree with any ideas or possibilities that they come up with wouldn't matter.

Also, I find it very hard to believe that anyone who doesn't believe in ANYTHING spiritual could be a Dream Theater fan , as they are a VERY spiritual band.

They have several songs that mention God, angels "unearthly guide,' Afterlife, spirits, forces of evil...need I go on?

To me, the music comes first, the lyrics second. Additionally, the best thing about most of DT's 'spiritual' lyrics is that they can be interpreted in many ways. I, for example, tend to interpret these sorts of lyrics as metaphors for the challenges one faces, overcoming them to become a better person, the bonds with those around us, and so on. They do not have a strictly spiritual meaning, and I have never seen them as having such. And even if they did, I would not have an issue with it, as the music comes first.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2015, 07:01:21 PM »
Also, Afterlife was unmistakably written by Charlie, and for reasons known to anybody who visited his forum 5 years ago, he needs to he bracketed out from anything spiritual.
Once you take those lyrics away, any reference to higher powers in the remaining DT lyrics is vague at the very best.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 07:08:56 PM by rumborak »

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2015, 07:21:55 PM »

I don't like discussing religion in public as it leads to way too many problems, but wanted to comment on this. I myself do not associate myself with any religion, nor do I believe in spiritual beings such as a deity (or multiple deities) who controls us all. That being said, DT is my favorite band, regardless of lyrical content. Scarred is overtly Christian, and I love it to death. Hell, Ghost is a tongue in cheek Satanic band, and I love them too. Tenacious D sings about absolute nonsense but write some of the great acoustic guitar riffs I've ever heard.

Lyrical content does not deter me, and I'm willing to bet that's true for many individuals who listen to bands where the instrumentation is put before the lyrical content, such as DT. If the music is good and the vocal melodies are good, I'm down.

Please don't let my views on religion refkect me as a person if you choose to believe in a different faith. We're all here for mock up artwork and tracklists, not religious battles. KTHANXBAI

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2015, 07:34:43 PM »
If you don't like that idea, you can ignore it.

It is just one of several that I had proposed.

It's all moot, anyway.

the possibility of the band using ANY of our ideas on their next album is at LEAST 99.9% against.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 08:07:01 PM by chaossystem »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2015, 09:08:16 PM »

No offense to DT, but after having read the lyrics to TGD, I just don't think they're cut out to write lyrics about heavyweight topics.

That said, your idea of giving explanations to song titles got me intrigued. Here it goes:

1. Fifteen Years -A song about a woman who stole a baby from a stroller and, while shortly after regretting the action, has raised the child as her own daughter for the last 15 years because she's afraid to disclose her initial crime.
2. Ding - A completely whimsical mega-prog tune, written by JR
3. Band of brothers - About the exhilaration, the companionship, the lonely nights, that come with touring with 5 dudes around the world.
4. LGA - Homage to YYZ
5. Beyond - Song about how Hawking radiation might violate conditional locality. The song ends with each member of DT stopping to play at different times, and at the end MM saying "I have no idea what the fuck this song is about. I'm gonna go watch the Pats."

They can write a song called "The God Particle". I just really want to hear LaBrie growl out "THE HIGGS BOSON" in a chorus.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2015, 09:44:17 PM »
Hi there
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2015, 09:47:59 PM »
Raw Dog Part 2: Unleashed and With More Bark Than Ever

Calvin6s

« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2015, 09:52:23 PM »
A Hair Metal concept album

Combining some current forum topics:
Sequels
Concept Albums
Epic Songs

Cleaning Out the Closet Part 2
1. Spandex and Latex (1:12)
2. Wednesday Wednesday Party Party (2:43)
3. Hump Day (3:12)
4. Rock Out with Your Rooster Out (2:38) (Wal-Mart edit)
5. Out with the Boys (4:10)
6. We're not Gay (15:26)
7. Not That There's Anything Wrong with That (42:59)
8. That's Racist and I'm Calling Al (0:37)

I think it is against forum rules to post the album cover.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2015, 10:01:39 PM »

Sequels
Concept Albums
Epic Songs

5. Out with the Boys (4:10)

Is this the new Steel Panther album?
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2015, 11:48:48 PM »

Sequels
Concept Albums
Epic Songs

5. Out with the (Rough) Boys (4:10)

FTFY (minor but important).
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2015, 12:52:23 AM »
As long as it isn't Neal Morse level of religion, I'll at least be able to listen to it.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2015, 01:09:39 AM »
Dream Theater - Stories of the Nocturnal (I guess you could call it a concept album about dreams)

1 - Split Facade: 7:05
2 - Overcast: 9:32
3 - Scherzo of Silence: 6:44
4 - Abysmal Reverie: 30:39
   i - Iron Stampede: 8:36
   ii - Forest Silhouette: 6:49
   iii - Red Trees: 4:17
   iv - Diseased: 3:26
   v - Globes of Light: 7:31
5 - Lamplight: 13:55
6 - Candlelight: 4:52
7 - Zero Gravity/Descent: 8:35

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2015, 01:58:40 AM »
^It woud have to be two albums though.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2015, 02:57:36 AM »
Hall of Great Predictions (79:17)

01 - Veins (12:22) - About rage and how anger can tear at you personally and the effect of constant anger on your family and other environments.
02 - Anywhere But Here (6:02) - About lucid dreaming. Someone learns to love the life in his dreams more than his real life.
03 - Panorama Image (5:43) - About how one must sometimes adapt to a pessimistic style of life in order to deal with this world, but how one cannot do it too much and lose yourself to that sort of personality.
04 - Defiant (7:30) - A story about two childhood friends growing up, and the influence they both had on each other.
05 - Mirage (6:41) - Theoretical physics. About how we may just be holographic projections from the rims of the universe.
06 - Roadblock (8:29) - About dimensions above our perception and what it might mean for our existance.
07 - Unmaking (16:15) - A man having hallucinations, but refuses to believe them. Everyone else convinces him that they can see them too and that they are real. Everything is fine and dandy until it is revealed he imaged those people as well.
08 - The Rake (5:45) - The properties of time over great astronomical distances. Relativity.
09 - Limerance (10:30) - A study in the chemical and psychological prospects of love.

Some ideas I have planned for myself. Quite a few science-themed songs. There'd actually have to be some research done on various forms of psychology and theoretical physics by JP and the other's part to write these. And a considerable amount of effort to form them into poetic lyrics. No more cliches taking a few seconds to come up with, please.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 07:20:12 AM by BlackInk »

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2015, 04:04:16 AM »
Hall of Great Predictions (79:17)

01 - Veins (12:22) - About rage and how anger can tear at you personally and the effect of constant anger on your family and other environments.
02 - Anywhere But Here (6:02) - About lucid dreaming. Someone learns to love the life in his dreams more than his real life.
03 - Panorama Image (5:43) - About how one must sometimes adapt to a pessimistic style of life in order to deal with this world, but how one cannot do it too much and lose yourself that that sort of personality.
04 - Defiant (7:30) - A story about two childhood friends growing up, and the influence they both had on each other.
05 - Mirage (6:41) - Theoretical physics. About how we may just be holographic projections from the rims of the universe.
06 - Roadblock (8:29) - About dimensions above our perception and what it might mean for our existance.
07 - Unmaking (16:15) - A man having hallucinations, but refuses to believe them. Everyone else convinces him that they can see them too and that they are real. Everything is fine and dandy until it is revealed he imaged those people as well.
08 - The Rake (5:45) - The properties of time over great astronomical distances. Relativity.
09 - Limerance (10:30) - A study in the chemical and psychological prospects of love.

Some ideas I have planned for myself. Quite a few science-themed songs. There'd actually have to be some research done on various forms of psychology and theoretical physics by JP and the other's part to write these. And a considerable amount of effort to form them into poetic lyrics. No more cliches taking a few seconds to come up with, please.

Your #7 sounds like an interesting inversion of the TKH story. For some reason, #5 and #8 scream "JR lyrics" to me.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Online krands85

« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2015, 07:43:14 AM »

Roll the Dice - the general theme of the album is taking chances/luck and how different things can be depending on them. Full of cliche's, but oh well  :P

1. Close Your Eyes (8.42) - The Pull Me Under/On The Backs of Angels style opener. Deals with taking chances blindly and the consequences. (Petrucci)
2. The Feeling's Mutual (6.30) - The heavy, aggressive lead single. (Petrucci)
3. A Second Chance (4.46) - A ballad about a breakup and reconciliation. (LaBrie)
4. Risk and Reward (11.04) - Self explanatory title. Really proggy track. (Myung)
5. Power Struggle (7.02) - Another fast paced, heavy song. Crushing riffs and blistering solos, but with a really catchy chorus. (Petrucci)
6. Follow the Light (6.50) - A lighter, much more mellow song. Second single. (Petrucci)
7. Poverty and Profit (10.19) - A tale about 2 brothers separated at birth - one lives a life of poverty, the other lives in luxury, using his wealth and connections to make more money off the less fortunate. 2 distinct styles of music separate the song, each representing 1 of the brothers. (LaBrie)
8. Cheating Fate (17.56) -
    I. Introspection (Instrumental)
    II. Connection
    III. Misdirection
    IV. Reflection
The Epic, featuring varying styles of music and more experimental sections. (Petrucci)

Total: (73.09)

I spent way too long on this  :facepalm: :blush The best bit about these threads is looking back through them when the real tracklist is revealed and seeing if anyone got close with any of the titles  :lol I think a few people have been very close with some in the past!
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2015, 07:56:23 AM »
A DT album called "Roll the Dice", and not a single musical Rush reference? Yeah, right :lol,

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2015, 07:57:41 AM »
Nice idea Krands :)

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2015, 07:59:15 AM »
Your #7 sounds like an interesting inversion of the TKH story. For some reason, #5 and #8 scream "JR lyrics" to me.

I didn't even know JR wrote lyrics.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2015, 08:02:19 AM »

Roll the Dice - the general theme of the album is taking chances/luck and how different things can be depending on them. Full of cliche's, but oh well  :P

1. Close Your Eyes (8.42) - The Pull Me Under/On The Backs of Angels style opener. Deals with taking chances blindly and the consequences. (Petrucci)
2. The Feeling's Mutual (6.30) - The heavy, aggressive lead single. (Petrucci)
3. A Second Chance (4.46) - A ballad about a breakup and reconciliation. (LaBrie)
4. Risk and Reward (11.04) - Self explanatory title. Really proggy track. (Myung)
5. Power Struggle (7.02) - Another fast paced, heavy song. Crushing riffs and blistering solos, but with a really catchy chorus. (Petrucci)
6. Follow the Light (6.50) - A lighter, much more mellow song. Second single. (Petrucci)
7. Poverty and Profit (10.19) - A tale about 2 brothers separated at birth - one lives a life of poverty, the other lives in luxury, using his wealth and connections to make more money off the less fortunate. 2 distinct styles of music separate the song, each representing 1 of the brothers. (LaBrie)
8. Cheating Fate (17.56) -
    I. Introspection (Instrumental)
    II. Connection
    III. Misdirection
    IV. Reflection
The Epic, featuring varying styles of music and more experimental sections. (Petrucci)

Total: (73.09)

I spent way too long on this  :facepalm: :blush The best bit about these threads is looking back through them when the real tracklist is revealed and seeing if anyone got close with any of the titles  :lol I think a few people have been very close with some in the past!

I think I got closest last time. My artwork had the earth from space and one of my fake titles was called string THEORY and another was called the AWAKENING :)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2015, 08:10:08 AM »

He doesn't.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2015, 08:17:06 AM »

Not for DT he hasn't, but he does for his own solo albums.

Online krands85

« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2015, 08:19:25 AM »
A DT album called "Roll the Dice", and not a single musical Rush reference? Yeah, right :lol ,
I never got into Rush, but now that you've said that - I had a look on Wikipedia and see that, not only do they have an album with a near identical title, it also seems to be about similar themes FFS  :facepalm: :lol Would be bad enough if it was any other band, but it had to be Rush didn't it? Oh well  :P
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2015, 08:21:07 AM »

I always thought they were instrumental.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2015, 08:26:19 AM »

I always thought they were instrumental.

For the most part they are, but the majority of the album Listen has JR on vocals, and he's written at least one or two since with lyrics. He certainly hasn't made a habit of it, but it would be interesting to hear what his wonderfully crazy mind comes up with.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2015, 08:56:46 AM »
I wouldn't mind Jordan trying his hand at lyrics as long as he stays away from the mic (and we get two sets of lyrics from James).

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2015, 09:14:33 AM »
I wouldn't mind Jordan trying his hand at lyrics as long as he stays away from the mic (and we get two sets of lyrics from James).

We should investigate his lyrics first before saying that.   ;)     Personally I prefer JP & JM doing the lyric writing.  JLB can join in as long as we don't get more lyrics like Prophets of War.