Author Topic: DT13 Official Post Your Tracklist & Artwork Here V. MetroPLS 111!  (Read 46952 times)

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
Re: DT13 Official Post Your Tracklist & Artwork Here V. MetroPLS 111!
« Reply #210 on: October 25, 2015, 05:36:34 PM »
"Hey, what's your favorite song from that new Dream Theater album?"

"I'm not sure man, it's a toss up between Somber things in the Sky and The Good Side of Things and A Breathtaking Change of Course of the Things Happening."

"Wha?"

black clouds and silver linings / a dramatic turn of events

just written dumbly
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline The Cat Of Tuscany

• "The truth is the truth and the only thing you can do is to live with it."
« Reply #211 on: October 30, 2015, 11:06:53 AM »
13 songs at 13 minutes each over 13 CDs with one song on each.

:lol

I just want to know what movie Ryan and Colin are hosting? ;)
The TV show Who's Line Is It Anyway?.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: October 31, 2015, 05:43:27 AM »
^
Well aware of the show title, just wondering what movie they were hosting.

Maybe it was this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAV-T2IoQE4
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline FreezingPoint

« Reply #213 on: October 31, 2015, 09:14:44 AM »

"I'm not sure man, it's a toss up between Somber things in the Sky and The Good Side of Things and A Breathtaking Change of Course of the Things Happening."

"Wha?"

Of course on DTF that would be:

"I'm not sure man, it's a toss up between STITSATGSOT and ABCOCOTTH."

"Wha?"
avenuex.bandcamp.com

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #214 on: October 31, 2015, 09:20:40 AM »

"Wha?"

Of course on DTF that would be:

"I'm not sure man, it's a toss up between STITSATGSOT and ABCOCOTTH."

"Wha?"
My god, and I thought TOWHTSTS was a long abbreviation.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #215 on: October 31, 2015, 09:43:24 AM »
Why don't we go the Metallica way for shortening song titles? when I was a kid everyone was talking about "Master" or "Justice" and everyone knew what they were talking about. "Damn, DT did Master in the middle of Pull Me Under"... you'd immediately get it. Would it be a (fatal) tragedy to write Sacrifice, Ministry, Illumination, Bridges, Lifting Shadows, Enemies etc etc?  ;D I mean, what do you all do with the time you save of typing only initials instead of even the most important word of the title, take a trip to the seaside or something?  :biggrin:
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #216 on: October 31, 2015, 09:45:24 AM »
"You're going to play Nightmare, Dance and Spirit."
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #217 on: October 31, 2015, 09:50:31 AM »
"You're going to play Nightmare, Dance and Spirit."

Actually that sounds like a single title of a weird psychedelic instrumental piece  ;D something that starts eerie, gets things going in the middle and ends trippy.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #218 on: November 02, 2015, 08:35:21 AM »

Dream Theater : Dream Thearteen.

- - - Disc One - - -

1. Intro.
2. Luck is on Your Side
3. As The Wind Blows
4. End Of Days
5. I Hear You Calling
6. Proxima Centauri [ Instrumental ]

- - - Disc Two - - -

7. On a High Wire
8. Carry Me Home
9. Wherever The Road Takes You
10. Let It Be Written
11. The Final Curtain
12. Crossed Paths
13. Outro
     i. Intro
   ii. The Belonging
  iii. Diluted Soul
  iv. The Path Less Travelled
   v. Modus Operandi.

;D ;D ;D

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #219 on: November 03, 2015, 12:07:39 PM »
The new 'astonishing' album grabs you right off the bat.  An all white, scratch off cover.  I couldn’t resist this marketing tool, and went to the Roadrunner Records' preview to grab two:  one to scratch, one to leave alone.  I ended up having to buy six at twice the price, because I wanted the bonus version (see below), but screwed up and scratched off the wrong covers until coming across the correct one.
“You break it, you buy it!”
Lesson learned.
This p*ssed off four other reviewers, who arrived late and had to leave empty handed because they wanted the original version.
Check out my site on eBay (can't wait for the bidding wars, suckers)

I will let the band members explain the lyrics in another article (yes, all five had a hand in this one).  As to the song titles, JP explained that the band struggled in this area, suffering from somewhat of a 'withering' effect.  Not quite sure what that means, but I digress.

Anyhoo, on to the music.

Track listings
1. Born To Be Kings (11:04)   “Here we are, Born To Be Kings, we’re the princes of the universe.”  Holy crap! You know you are in for a, shall I say it, astonishing adventure with this intro. All five members (and special unnamed guest) provide the opening vocals with 150 overdubs, as well as the backing vocals throughout this bombastic album opening rocker.  This semi-cover of Queen’s ‘Princes of the Universe’ incorporates the demo version and ‘Gimme The Prize’.  Petrucci goes back in time with the ‘Misunderstood’-type play/tape/play tape backwards/emulate backwards tape and play procedure that made me jump out of my chair, thinking it was Brian May and his Red Special making a guest appearance. 
Well, he DOES on this one!   When John and the good Doctor (really, he has his PhD) speed this one up into overdrive, sharing and alternating solo riffs, you swear the heavens have opened up.  9.95/10 BTBK could have gone on another 3 minutes.

2.  Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers (1:55) After the epic opener, a short rocker that throws a monkey wrench at the fans in their beliefs of the band, who say to themselves, 'that's astonishing' when viewing the title.  Actually, this reviewer went 'WTF?'.  An odd first promo video as well, especially seeing Roger Taylor of Queen joining James on LVs, and playing a bit of rhythm guitar as he and Petrucci pay tribute to ZZTop with their fuzzy twirling guitars and ZZ Topish long beards.  7/10  BDaHR might be a minute too long.

Even more astonishing is, upon a closer listen, the auto tuned backing vocal just might be, could be......and is.......

3.  I Was So Tired (3:26)  Mike Portnoy continues 'the astonishing' theme by providing more vocals, this time as guest lead on this semi-cover of The Beatles' blues-ish  ‘I’m So Tired’.  Not the greatest track, but very good for change of tempo and mood.  Note the slight change in lyrics that appear near the end: 

"I was so tired, I needed a one year break. 
Although I was so tired, it was a big mistake."

8/10  I like this, I really do, just wish IWST was longer (imagine saying that about a DT song!)

4.  Bang On The Drums (6:25)  DT changes pace again, picking things up with their standard one fun, upbeat, feel good track per album.   On this Todd Rundgren cover, it's just Portnoy and Mangini doing a vocal and percussion duet.  BOTD is absolutely and unequivocally Astonishing!  Astounding!  9.9/10

5.  Ravenskill (4:28)  Jordan's instrumental homage to Edgar Allen Poe and the Baltimore Ravens football team.  The original version clocked in at 52:35, as Ray Lewis is asked to provide some spoken words in the middle bridge, but goes off script as always and rambles on about life, God, team, his favorite foods as a boy, his wardrobe, etc.  Ends abrubtly as Jordan develops cramps in all three hands.  Soon to be a DT collectors’ dream (or nightmare to remember).   5.5/10  because I wish R didn't fade into the next track, 9/10 if R (or Rs or Rk or Rkill if you prefer) faded a bit sooner.

This album version begins with soft piano intro, a thrill ride middle, repeated piano outro, leading into….

6.  No More Mr. Nice Guy (8:12)  John Myung's gnarly, snarling whispered lead vocals.   Astonishing!  With the bass turned up to 11, this makes up for it being so low in the mix on prior albums.  The reverb is so pronounced, that it may crack windows.  If it doesn't, it can cause your drywall to chip and fall off.  The theme changes drastically midway through (for no apparent reason), with various tempo changes of 10-30 musical second segments taken from all songs of Queensryche’s ‘Empire’ LP.   LaBrie makes a brief appearance, as he sings the chorus of Freddie Mercury’s ‘Mr. Bad Guy’, which will appease the JLB haters. 

"I'm Mr. Bad Guy
Yes, I'm everybody's Mr. Bad Guy
Can't you see, I'm Mr. LaBrie....."
(can't you just visualize James giving a 'go eff yourselves' facial expression throughout this segment?)

‘Nice Guy’ (or NMMNG if you prefer), returns for the final two minutes.  An added bonus is the 45 second fade out, complete with all spoken words taken from JM’s interviews throughout the years.  Those that don't like JM's, or JLB's vocals (or both) just will hate this to death.  The rest of us will think it's alright to good to great.  The way they alternate as backing vocalists  for the other has to be heard to be appreciated.  8/10 (or 2/10, depending on who you are....and you know who you are).

Unlisted negative timed track (?) (2:05) After the fade out, rather than copying Alice and singing “Clee-hee-hee-hee, clee-hee-hee-hee, clee-hee-hee-hee-heeeeeeeen”, John simply speaks the word ‘clean’.  MP returns for the crashing two second drum ending of NMMNG (or ‘Nice Guy’ if you prefer), which continues on for another two astonishing minutes.

7.  Lower The Blade (11:24)  Fans will think the band used 'Raise The Knife' as the inspiration.  My guess is that the arguments will continue forever.  If RTK was the inspiration, so be it, as the sound of the LTB production is what the original should have been treated to (including the bass).   James’ vocals, which are good to very good throughout the album, are absolutely…….. breathtaking and stunning (and you thought I was going to write astounding or astonishing).  9.63/10

8.  Long, Long, Long (21:43) As the title states, this is a long one.  It didn't take me long to realize that this was about longing, or something long-related.  Themed around Harrison's 'White Album' track, the middle 15 minutes incorporates the beginning of Rush's '2112', Styx 'Mr. Roboto' from 'Kilroy Was Here' (and for some reason, 'Best of Times'), Queen's 'Long Away', Boston's 'Long Time',  a mellow interlude of Dan Fogelberg's 'Longer', as well as some movie soundtrack dialogue from the original 'The Longest Yard’.    Four minutes of the ending of The Who's 'Song is Over' is the first fade out, and then the eerie ending of ‘Long, Long, Long’ for ten seconds.   Won't use the 'A' word, but I will say this one is epic!  9.2/10

I didn't like it, couldn't get a handle on it, and then I  listened to this one 26 hours yesterday (that's over 100x!) 
[expletive deleted verb] !!!!!!!! [expletive deleted noun]!!!!!!!   it is just absolutely [expletive deleted present tense verb] [expletive deleted adjective]!!!!!!!    I love, love, love LLL

9.  Hidden track (1:30) Petrucci guitar solo, enough to start smoking your stereo, get the dogs in the neighborhood barking, and may crack whatever glass still remains from track 6.

10.  Hidden track #2 (until the 80 minute disk space is used up)  The drum duet/battle returns, similar to the beginning of ‘The Shattered Fortress’.  They should call this ‘The Shattered Ceiling’, as what was left of mine after Track 9 (or is it Track 20?) crumbled down upon me.
Roger Taylor and his son Rufus provide additional percussion for five seconds.  Jason Bonham also provides drumming at the two minute mark in the left channel (or right, depending on how one wears their headphones).  Hard to tell if it is 'Moby Dick' or 'Battle Hymn of the Republic'.   

Buyers’ note:  Two versions of this album will be available.  The first version will have the ten tracks listed.  The second version (easily identifiable with the Majesty logo in lower case on the sleeve after you scratch off the cover) has Track 1 will be divided into 4 tracks (subtitled ‘sub 1, sub 2, etc’), track 2 becomes track 5, and so on.  Track 8 on the original, will be divided into tracks 11-19 (with titles and no roman numerals in front), and the first hidden track will be track 20.  Track 10 (Hidden Track #2)  ((Track 21?))  contains one minute of Mike Portnoy and Ray Lewis spoken dialogue, the bonus and original North Korean versions have Portnoy just growling.  But oh, those drums!  I wish they would bang on them all day!!!!

This also provides the great debate (bazinga!)  as to whether tracks 1 and 8 are one song each, or 4 and 9, respectively.

It is obvious after a couple of listens, that this could…………(insert fade out of 'Finally Free'………)

« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 02:15:10 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
« Reply #220 on: November 03, 2015, 03:49:08 PM »
^ wow dude, that was.......

AMAZING :D
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #221 on: November 03, 2015, 03:51:23 PM »
^ wow dude, that was.......

ASTONISHING :D
FTFY
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Setlist Scotty

As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: November 03, 2015, 08:38:44 PM »

[Sorry, but I've enjoyed this thread, and for some reason had ZZ Top in my head since seeing some recent JP pix.  And had time during last night's MNF game to put down some notes.  Briefly, I went to see Qryche in 2003, not knowing that DT would headline that night.  Had never heard of them until then.  Been a fan ever since.  So I'm a 50-ish relative 'newbie' who has attended 10 concerts and a meet and greet.  Still trying to catch up on as much as I can on this forum, and learn more, when time permits.]

Listened to this during the game....a fan made BC&SL (or Black Clouds if you prefer) instrumental WITH the guitar solos included that I just came across, that has probably been mentioned here earlier. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jKyg4nykyo

(no hidden tracks)

« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 07:45:47 AM by DragonAttack »

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #225 on: November 04, 2015, 09:32:30 AM »
This is a potential thing I put up this morning, based on the info we have

Dream Theater - The Astonishing (2016)

CD 1:
1. 0 A.C.

(Opener instrumental about a nuclear war that destroyed half the world. C stands for Chaos, the name of the war.)

2. Empire

(Nice prog rock/solemn 9 minute piece that describes the rise of the Northen Empire)

3. Powerlessness

(A 5 and a half minute metal track, likely to be the single, where the suppression of the Empire through NOMACS and technology gets described.)

4. A New Sound

(Lengthy 7 minute ballad, the Chosen One finds out about his powers, and frees the mind of the inhabitants of Ravenskill)

5. Demolish

(A crazy 8 minute instrumental, symbolizes how people in Ravenskill have realized that they can change, and start to hack the technology from which they were once controlled).

6. Legion Of Sorrowful Song

(One of the two epics of the album, in its 15 minutes narrates how The Legion was taken over by the Empire because it was the last big force to stop their expansion. (Note: the characters do not know of this yet) All through the eyes of a child who dies in the attack, at the end of the piece)

CD 2:

7. The Day The System Failed

(Eight minutes metal fest, the heaviest song actually, about the rebels attacking the Palace using modified NOMACs, and then themselves. The rebels get into the chambers where the tablets that are controlling everyone else are located and smash them.)

8. Misplacement

(4 minutes rock tune à la One Last Time, with an epic solo at the end where Arhys finds out about The Legion thing, and kills the Emperor. Although the Emperor also kills him in the end, before he passes away.)

9. Brother

(6 minutes dark ballad where the Chosen One mourns Arhys, and promises salvation. Everyone is gathered at this point for the grand event.)

10. The Astonishing

(18 minutes long epic that describes the Chosen One freeing everyone's mind. Lots of recurring themes in this one, especially from A New Sound)

11. 2286 A.D.

(A final 3 minutes piece based on the Easter Egg at the end of Illumination Theory. It reminds us once again that in order  to really feel joy, we must suffer a bit.)
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #226 on: November 05, 2015, 03:19:05 AM »

My stock picture/Photoshop-bonanza!  :biggrin:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #227 on: November 05, 2015, 03:20:18 AM »
Not bad. No Majesty logo or is there ;D

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #228 on: November 05, 2015, 03:39:09 AM »
I like that cover a lot, though yea, the Majesty logo should be on top of the cap of the army guy.

Offline ProgressiveIce

« Reply #229 on: November 05, 2015, 03:42:52 AM »
... or hidden somewhere in the roots of the dead tree (?).

Looks nice!

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #230 on: November 05, 2015, 07:50:23 AM »
Might as well post it here since it's the official thread for that kind of things.

Maybe I'll try to make a more serious one at some point.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: November 05, 2015, 09:17:18 AM »
We've got 5 confirmed song titles now.

CHECK YOUR TRACKLIST !!! Anyone come close ?

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #232 on: November 05, 2015, 09:57:40 AM »
Wasn't The Gift of Music mentioned by someone? Not sure, but maybe something close to it.

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #233 on: November 05, 2015, 11:10:12 AM »
Thanks guys! Updated with a tiny detail (can you spot the Majesty-symbol?) :biggrin:

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #234 on: November 05, 2015, 11:12:03 AM »
 :tup

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #235 on: November 05, 2015, 11:12:48 AM »
That's the first spot I looked since I suggested that :tup thanks for caring about details dear viking.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #236 on: November 05, 2015, 11:17:02 AM »
That's cool man, it looks good!

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: November 05, 2015, 11:29:12 AM »
Looking for the logo, I checked tree roots first, helmets second, armband third.  Had to zoom due to bad eyesight.  Well done!

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #238 on: November 05, 2015, 11:34:14 AM »
@aurorablind: That cover looks great :clap:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #239 on: November 05, 2015, 11:35:56 AM »

May as well post it here too ! ;D

I hope the actual cover looks close to this. :)

Full Size : https://i.imgur.com/DVemmGk.jpg
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 11:41:59 AM by Kotowboy »

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: November 05, 2015, 11:41:24 AM »
Inspired by one of the track titles.

Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #241 on: November 05, 2015, 11:41:43 AM »
:zydar: very nice.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #242 on: November 05, 2015, 11:43:31 AM »
Yours is not too shabby either Kotowboy! I get some Octavarium vibe from it, which is cool. I fell like they might go with a ''grittier'' type cover than this though. We'll see.

Edit: Nice one too Zydar. It looks soooo pretty! I can already imagine a Nomac shooting a laser beam at the bird.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #243 on: November 05, 2015, 11:59:36 AM »
Yours is not too shabby either Kotowboy! I get some Octavarium vibe from it, which is cool. I fell like they might go with a ''grittier'' type cover than this though. We'll see.

Edit: Nice one too Zydar. It looks soooo pretty! I can already imagine a Nomac shooting a laser beam at the bird.

"chirp, chirp"

ALERT !! ALERT !! THAT SOUNDS A LITTLE LIKE MUSIC !!! DESTROY !! DESTROY !!!

The app I was using said everything was lined up bit the nomac on the right of the pic doesn't look the same distance as the left one...

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #244 on: November 05, 2015, 12:22:48 PM »
EXTERMINATE! EXTEEERMINATE!!