Author Topic: Dream Theater entered the studio in February v. No News is Good News  (Read 488053 times)

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Dream Theater was allegedly in the Studio February - To Be Continued
« Reply #2345 on: June 28, 2015, 01:38:31 AM »
Whereas Six Degrees has like 13 songs on it.

No it doesn't. It has 6 songs. 13 tracks.

Oh god not here too..

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2346 on: June 28, 2015, 02:48:18 AM »
It has 13 BITS which you can SELECT. I call those SONGS because they ALL start and end individually...

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #2347 on: June 28, 2015, 03:06:12 AM »
It has 13 BITS which you can SELECT. I call those SONGS because they ALL start and end individually...

What a repetitive album.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2348 on: June 28, 2015, 03:29:21 AM »
:lol Terrible.

Not really. I have never listened to a section of SDOIT outside of the context of the song, because it would feel incomplete, and they DON'T all end individually, so that would be weird to try to listen to that way.
Parts of Octavarium start/end just as neatly (same goes for many of their other epics, including IT), the difference being that they didn't stick track markers in there for convenience. I actually wish they didn't put track markers in SDOIT at all.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 03:38:14 AM by BlobVanDam »
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #2349 on: June 28, 2015, 03:43:43 AM »
The SDOIT song-status conundrum is the greatest debate (nuggetz?!) in our fandom, probably even surpassing the one concerning our shady first keyboardist.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2350 on: June 28, 2015, 03:46:38 AM »
Blob speaks the truth.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2351 on: June 28, 2015, 03:53:24 AM »
The SDOIT song-status conundrum is the greatest debate (nuggetz?!) in our fandom, probably even surpassing the one concerning our shady first keyboardist.

We move in circles...

I guess it will be a little while until we get some real news on the new album to discuss given that they're on tour for a bit.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2352 on: June 28, 2015, 04:01:40 AM »
In my opinion, dividing SDoIT into tracks was a good decision. Listening to a 42 minute track would be rather tiresome after only a few spins.

Offline DP_Gumby

• Wished I lived in any fantasy realm
« Reply #2353 on: June 28, 2015, 04:16:25 AM »
In my defense, I'm not hoping for a four track album, I just had a "what-if" thought.

I don't really care how many, or how few, tracks the new album has. So long as each song has an excellent production.  :tup
"This morning, shortly after eleven o'clock, comedy struck this little house in Dibley. Sudden. Violent. Comedy." - Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #2354 on: June 28, 2015, 04:18:09 AM »
I hope we can minimize the neverending "1 song or divided into more songs" discussion to solely my Systematic Chaos thread..  :'(
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2355 on: June 28, 2015, 05:49:39 AM »
In my opinion, dividing SDoIT into tracks was a good decision. Listening to a 42 minute track would be rather tiresome after only a few spins.

After 12 years of only ever listening to SDOIT as a whole, and it still being my #1/#2 DT song, I very strongly disagree!

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #2356 on: June 28, 2015, 08:21:32 AM »
DT calls it a single song, the end
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2357 on: June 28, 2015, 08:31:37 AM »
Blob doing the work of God. Thanks.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #2358 on: June 28, 2015, 08:32:27 AM »
DT calls it a single song, the end

Proof:

Only 6 (six) f...ing songs. PERIOD.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2359 on: June 28, 2015, 09:24:42 AM »
:lol Terrible.

Not really. I have never listened to a section of SDOIT outside of the context of the song, because it would feel incomplete, and they DON'T all end individually, so that would be weird to try to listen to that way.
Parts of Octavarium start/end just as neatly (same goes for many of their other epics, including IT), the difference being that they didn't stick track markers in there for convenience. I actually wish they didn't put track markers in SDOIT at all.

I like listening to Solitary Shell on it's own. As well as About To Crash ( sometimes )

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2360 on: June 28, 2015, 03:02:34 PM »
Only 6 (six) f...ing songs. PERIOD.
And let's not forget that on the CD version of Score, all of SDoIT is one track - it's not subdivided, which is further evidence that it is one song.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2361 on: June 28, 2015, 03:22:39 PM »
A Mind Beside Itself is presented as one song on the LSFNY DVD. :biggrin:

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2362 on: June 28, 2015, 04:27:04 PM »
Yes but it is divided on the CD. It makes sense to keep it together on the DVD since it was that bonus feature thing and you could watch it altogether instead of having to select the next song in the extra features menu.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2363 on: June 28, 2015, 11:48:38 PM »
Yes but it is divided on the CD. It makes sense to keep it together on the DVD since it was that bonus feature thing and you could watch it altogether instead of having to select the next song in the extra features menu.

And nowhere is it labeled a song anyway. It's presented as a unit because it is a unit; a suite.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 12:52:30 AM by BlobVanDam »

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #2364 on: June 29, 2015, 07:30:58 AM »
I think the band made the right call splitting SDOIT into separate tracks as opposed to making a single 42 minute track. It's always nice to have the option of skipping around, and I don't think there's a real downside to it, outside of the debate it causes in fan circles (is it a song or a suite?).

To me, if the band says it's a song, then it's a song, but I don't really care either way.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline DP_Gumby

• Wished I lived in any fantasy realm
« Reply #2365 on: June 29, 2015, 08:10:43 AM »
There's things happening, look!
Richard Chicky is apparently working on the new album. 

https://instagram.com/p/4g7yT8i9ql/

Yes, I admit.. It's not the most exciting image ever, but it's something nonetheless.
"This morning, shortly after eleven o'clock, comedy struck this little house in Dibley. Sudden. Violent. Comedy." - Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2366 on: June 29, 2015, 08:35:26 AM »
I spotted Chycki in the video JR posted a while back that we used to figure out parts of their current setlist.

Offline zecawolf

« Reply #2367 on: June 29, 2015, 08:37:30 AM »

And nowhere is it labeled a song anyway. It's presented as a unit because it is a unit; a suite.

GREATEST HIT - AND 21 OTHER PRETTY COOL SONGS.

Solitary Shell is in it.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 08:42:50 AM by zecawolf »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2368 on: June 29, 2015, 08:45:09 AM »

GREATEST HIT - AND 21 OTHER PREETY COOLS SONGS.

Solitary Shell is in it.

Because it would have really rolled off the tongue to name it "GREATEST HIT AND 21 OTHER PRETTY COOL SONGS PLUS A SECTION OF A SONG AND SOME HACKED RADIO EDITS AND REMIXES ETC". You're in trouble if you're relying on a joking tongue in cheek compilation name as evidence of anything.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #2369 on: June 29, 2015, 08:46:45 AM »
It's not hugely surprising or anything, but at least we know there will be some piano on the new album. It never goes out of style IMO.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2370 on: June 29, 2015, 08:48:37 AM »

GREATEST HIT - AND 21 OTHER PRETTY COOL SONGS.

Solitary Shell is in it.
A radio edit of Solitary Shell is in it.  Meaning, a version of the song that was altered from its original presentation.  And kind of a worthless one, at that, since I doubt it ever got very much airplay.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2371 on: June 29, 2015, 08:51:10 AM »
It's not hugely surprising or anything, but at least we know there will be some piano on the new album. It never goes out of style IMO.

Not too surprising at all given that every DT album has piano on it (except maybe WDADU, which I can't recall any on). But it's hard to go wrong with piano, so it's always good.

Offline zecawolf

« Reply #2372 on: June 29, 2015, 08:59:44 AM »

GREATEST HIT - AND 21 OTHER PREETY COOLS SONGS.

Solitary Shell is in it.

Because it would have really rolled off the tongue to name it "GREATEST HIT AND 21 OTHER PRETTY COOL SONGS PLUS A SECTION OF A SONG AND SOME HACKED RADIO EDITS AND REMIXES ETC". You're in trouble if you're relying on a joking tongue in cheek compilation name as evidence of anything.

That's evidence that it can pass for a song on its own. They could never do that with "heretic" or "crimson sunset"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2373 on: June 29, 2015, 09:05:43 AM »

That's evidence that it can pass for a song on its own. They could never do that with "heretic" or "crimson sunset"

It's evidence that the heavily edited radio single of Solitary Shell can stand alone, just as sections of ACOS have stood alone when played live. I've also heard the middle section of A Nightmare To Remember edited to stand alone as a "song", but that doesn't make it so.
I don't know why these things are even debated when the evidence from the band is actually very clear.

Offline zecawolf

« Reply #2374 on: June 29, 2015, 09:11:46 AM »

It's evidence that the heavily edited radio single of Solitary Shell can stand alone, just as sections of ACOS have stood alone when played live. I've also heard the middle section of A Nightmare To Remember edited to stand alone as a "song", but that doesn't make it so.
I don't know why these things are even debated when the evidence from the band is actually very clear.

Well, I can give you MY reason to debate it. I ranked solitary shell as one of my favorite songs and Bosk argued that it was NOT a song. As I saw some people arguing otherwise too, and given that I can listen to it separately AS IT IS originally on  SDoIT, I think it's fine to state my reasons for thinking what I am saying. 

Offline Thoughtspart3

« Reply #2375 on: June 29, 2015, 09:17:42 AM »
I guess hopes for a dynamically mixed album are nill since Richard Chicky is mixing and mastering it.  That is, unless he has recently changed his mastering philosophy or DT requests a dynamic mix which is unlikely.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2376 on: June 29, 2015, 09:46:20 AM »

Well, I can give you MY reason to debate it. I ranked solitary shell as one of my favorite songs and Bosk argued that it was NOT a song. As I saw some people arguing otherwise too, and given that I can listen to it separately AS IT IS originally on  SDoIT, I think it's fine to state my reasons for thinking what I am saying.

I'm with you. Each of the 7 "movements" not counting the instrumental has its own verses, chorus, instrumental part, etc. I think of them as 8 songs glued together, even though I realize the band wants it received as a single song.

Offline Flacracker

« Reply #2377 on: June 29, 2015, 11:42:08 AM »
DT needs to get Steven Wilson to produce their stuff.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #2378 on: June 29, 2015, 01:12:30 PM »
I think it's likelier that MP would rejoin than SW being involved in any way with DT.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #2379 on: June 29, 2015, 02:07:11 PM »
And JP has said on multiple occasions that he and his beard will continue to produce the upcoming DT albums.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies