Author Topic: Dream Theater entered the studio in February v. No News is Good News  (Read 488015 times)

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
Re: Dream Theater in the Studio February
« Reply #1295 on: April 12, 2015, 10:28:49 AM »
I remember an interview with JLB and JP where they pretty much stated that another concept album is inevitable. They just weren't sure of when. Perhaps this is the time.  :metal
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1296 on: April 12, 2015, 11:08:28 AM »
Jordan seems to have some tics?

https://phhhoto.com/i/cIkLsE89ue8

What time signature is he doing that in?  That's the new album's time signature.  NUGGETZZZ

To answer your question, it's a really fast 3/4. Like a waltz. Nothing too uncommon.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1297 on: April 12, 2015, 04:10:04 PM »
Single album, though.

Wasteland: shatterer of hopes and dreams.

Oh, come on! A double album would mean less space for the historic songs on tour, a single album has its undeniable advantages with regard to this  :lol
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1298 on: April 12, 2015, 04:29:43 PM »
Welcome to the wasteland,
where you find ashes,
your dreams are in ashes.

Calvin6s

« Reply #1299 on: April 12, 2015, 05:33:30 PM »
So EP?

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1300 on: April 12, 2015, 06:00:33 PM »
I predict we'll be getting an announcement soon. They have been SO quiet.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1301 on: April 12, 2015, 07:14:30 PM »
Fuck it. All or nothing. If no Double Album... then we better just be getting a Single. (No B Side)
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1302 on: April 12, 2015, 07:37:01 PM »
Reading the posts about the amount of information we're getting from DT about the recording of this album makes me realize how spoiled we are, as a whole, by bands today with social media.

I mean, back in the day, we were lucky if we got this in a magazine, a few months after the band actually started recording because that's how print media deadlines used to work: "Band A is the studio with Producer X recording the follow up to album Y. They expect it to be out by the end of the year." And sometimes, that was it. You tended to not get big things like the title until just before release, and you rarely if ever got track listings. Hell it wasn't uncommon for a band or act to put out a press release with an album title and then change the title before the news cycle of the day could catch up with it. (Ozzy Obsourne's The Ultimate Sin was touted as being called Killer of Giants in magazine articles, and most people found out about the last minute change in title when they bought the album.)

I guess that's why when bands don't put out in studio photos and videos and we don't know the track listings months out, I just pay it little mind. It's how bands used to do things.

That is of course true. But at the same time, consider also the amount of resources that had to be thrown in back in the day to make people aware of a new album or tour. Magazines, TV time, posters plastered in the city...
In contrast, a modern band that maintains their social media well barely need any of that. With regular updates, people stay interested, and they know when stuff is happening. Take Steven Wilson's studio update videos. They generated excitement, and kept people up to date with when to expect the album (and to a small degree even what to expect). And it cost him virtually nothing.
They will of course know the band and the business behind it best. But in general it is good business sense to continue engaging your followers.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1303 on: April 12, 2015, 11:37:11 PM »
I predict we'll be getting an announcement soon. They have been SO quiet.

:soon:
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #1304 on: April 13, 2015, 12:27:27 AM »
I think they'll wait till it's closer to when they start hitting the European festivals. Announce album title and coverart, release date, maybe the 1st leg of the world tour, and say the single's coming in a few days so they can play it at the festivals.

Offline the_silent_man

« Reply #1305 on: April 13, 2015, 05:15:38 AM »
^This is probably correct. I'd be surprised if the single isn't out just before the you dates. Makes sense, promotion-wise

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1306 on: April 13, 2015, 06:43:15 AM »
On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if we have NO album specifics before the tour dates.  Those all seem to be, for the most part, regular summer festival dates, and they may not have anything to do with the new music.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1307 on: April 13, 2015, 06:47:57 AM »
On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if we have NO album specifics before the tour dates.  Those all seem to be, for the most part, regular summer festival dates, and they may not have anything to do with the new music.
I'm with Hef on this one. Being that they said this run thru Europe are the only shows they're doing this year, it's evident that they are not tied to supporting the new album that they are working on, just as was the case with their "Escape from the Studio" tour with QR in 2003. I can't remember when they announced all the info and cover art for ToT, but I know that it was after that tour was over, being that they were writing lyrics on that tour (which is generally where the title comes from, either directly or indirectly).

edit: Just found on MP's website that apparently the info about ToT leaked around Sept. 22nd, a couple months before they planned on making the announcement themselves (and a month and a half after their summer run with QR ended). So if this next album follows a similar pattern, I wouldn't expect any album info until October or November.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 06:53:25 AM by Setlist Scotty »
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1308 on: April 13, 2015, 06:56:12 AM »
If they played those European shows without playing a new tune, that would be sad though.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1309 on: April 13, 2015, 06:59:14 AM »
If they played those European shows without playing a new tune, that would be sad though.
But not unexpected.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1310 on: April 13, 2015, 07:00:00 AM »
I'm with Hef on this one. Being that they said this run thru Europe are the only shows they're doing this year, it's evident that they are not tied to supporting the new album that they are working on, just as was the case with their "Escape from the Studio" tour with QR in 2003. I can't remember when they announced all the info and cover art for ToT, but I know that it was after that tour was over, being that they were writing lyrics on that tour (which is generally where the title comes from, either directly or indirectly).

edit: Just found on MP's website that apparently the info about ToT leaked around Sept. 22nd, a couple months before they planned on making the announcement themselves (and a month and a half after their summer run with QR ended). So if this next album follows a similar pattern, I wouldn't expect any album info until October or November.
I mean, they may well release some specific info around that time, to drum up interest.  But I just doubt that the festival tour has anything to do with the new album, so I doubt any new music will be played.

I would imagine the album will be released later in the year, with a supporting tour next year.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #1311 on: April 13, 2015, 07:55:39 AM »
Without a song from WDADU and DT13, the concert wouldn't cover 30 years of DT, just 28 years at most.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1312 on: April 13, 2015, 07:59:02 AM »

I mean, they may well release some specific info around that time, to drum up interest.  But I just doubt that the festival tour has anything to do with the new album, so I doubt any new music will be played.

I would imagine the album will be released later in the year, with a supporting tour next year.

I'm pretty sure that in recent years the festival dates never showcased new music.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1313 on: April 13, 2015, 08:09:35 AM »

It is possible that they could say something earlier, and especially since MP doesn't take the lead in the announcements anymore, it is possible that things might be handled differently. But if they aren't planning on releasing the album until towards the end of the year, they probably wouldn't want to release the details about it too far in advance, which was the issue that MP/DT had with the ToT info leaking 2 months before they intended to make the announcement. They didn't want to much speculation going on, which still happened - I remember people worried that ToT was gonna be a Christian album, based strictly on the song titles and the fact that MP had been working with Neal Morse - how wrong they were!

So I would expect that they would probably hold off on making any announcements until they're within a month of releasing the album.

An interesting side note I noticed is that (with the schedule as it is listed now), they are gonna be on tour during the same exact period they were for the 2003 tour with QR. Not that this means everything else is gonna mirror 2003, but an interesting detail nonetheless.

I'm pretty sure that in recent years the festival dates never showcased new music.
They haven't played material that hasn't been released since 2002 (SDoIT was released a few days after the start of the European tour), and really since 1996-1997, when they previewed material that later ended up on FII. With the advent of smart phones and digital cameras (nevermind those sneaky taping guys!) it's highly unlikely DT will ever preview unreleased material live ever again.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1314 on: April 13, 2015, 08:15:03 AM »

They haven't played material that hasn't been released since 2002 (SDoIT was released a few days after the start of the European tour), and really since 1996-1997, when they previewed material that later ended up on FII. With the advent of smart phones and digital cameras (nevermind those sneaky taping guys!) it's highly unlikely DT will ever preview unreleased material live ever again.

Damn those bootleggers.   :lol   ;)

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1315 on: April 13, 2015, 08:30:04 AM »
Without a song from WDADU and DT13, the concert wouldn't cover 30 years of DT, just 28 years at most.
What does that matter?  They are just celebrating their 30th anniversary this year.  That doesn't mean they have to play something from every single year.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1316 on: April 13, 2015, 08:31:17 AM »
They're celebrating the band existing for 30 years. The only thing necessary to celebrate that is continuing to exist. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1317 on: April 13, 2015, 08:32:26 AM »
They're celebrating the band existing for 30 years. The only thing necessary to celebrate that is continuing to exist. :lol
:metal

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1318 on: April 13, 2015, 08:38:55 AM »

The fault in that logic is that 30 years means starting in 1985, so then they would have to play something from the Majesty days too right? 

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1319 on: April 13, 2015, 08:44:23 AM »

The fault in that logic is that 30 years means starting in 1985, so then they would have to play something from the Majesty days too right?
No no, please no.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1320 on: April 13, 2015, 08:45:17 AM »

No no, please no.

:lol  Vital Star anyone? 

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1321 on: April 13, 2015, 08:53:10 AM »
John Thinks He's Yngwie Song as an encore. I'm calling it now.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1322 on: April 13, 2015, 09:01:07 AM »
I've finally got an excuse to get into the early Majesty stuff.  :lol

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #1323 on: April 13, 2015, 09:04:06 AM »
I think they should bring back "Another Won"   :metal

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1324 on: April 13, 2015, 09:14:46 AM »
'A Vision' is alright. Terrible vocals, awful production, but there's a decent track somewhere behind the mess. Or maybe it's just compared to the others.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1325 on: April 13, 2015, 10:00:42 AM »
'A Vision' is alright. Terrible vocals, awful production, but there's a decent track somewhere behind the mess. Or maybe it's just compared to the others.
I think it is just as compared to the others.

Online TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #1326 on: April 13, 2015, 11:57:18 AM »

In 2011 they played OTBOA during the summer tour, though that might have only been to make Mangini a little more comfortable by giving him one of "his" songs to play.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1327 on: April 13, 2015, 12:17:25 PM »
In 2011 they played OTBOA during the summer tour, though that might have only been to make Mangini a little more comfortable by giving him one of "his" songs to play.
While the full album had not been released yet, OtBoA had been released to the public as the lead-off single, so that's why it was played on that warm-up/opening leg of the tour. It had nothing to do with making MM more comfortable, nor was the band previewing a new song that had not been released yet.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1328 on: April 13, 2015, 12:18:49 PM »
Yes, but that was after the single was released. They did not play anything that had not been officially released.

Ninja'd by Scotty
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1329 on: April 13, 2015, 12:19:56 PM »
Can you imagine them introducing something as "A New Song" and then they break out in to like PMU or something. lol

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"