Author Topic: Dream Theater entered the studio in February v. No News is Good News  (Read 488001 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Dream Theater in the Studio February
« Reply #910 on: March 11, 2015, 01:48:31 PM »

Seeing all those devices in the back, I'm kinda imagining him doing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afwYMdN43Mc&t=25
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #911 on: March 11, 2015, 02:05:19 PM »
Apparently JR posted on facebook that he was on vacation, so I'm not sure what's going on.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #912 on: March 11, 2015, 02:14:26 PM »
Apparently JR posted on facebook that he was on vacation, so I'm not sure what's going on.

:lol  Maybe he needs inspiration. 

Offline Voices

• Like a scream but sort of silent.
« Reply #913 on: March 11, 2015, 02:37:56 PM »
I think JR WAS in studio back in February. Maybe he already did what he had to. Well, I hope so.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #914 on: March 11, 2015, 02:41:51 PM »
Which of those dials controls the temperature of the sun again?

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #915 on: March 11, 2015, 02:46:45 PM »
Can't wait to hear whatever song he uses that sweet looking phone on.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #916 on: March 11, 2015, 03:26:29 PM »
Which of those dials controls the temperature of the sun again?

Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun :tup

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #917 on: March 11, 2015, 03:34:36 PM »

That would be a prog rendition of Tommy Tutone's  Jenny. 

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #918 on: March 11, 2015, 04:02:24 PM »

Mike Mangini: the world's only drummer who could play in 867/5309 time.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #919 on: March 11, 2015, 04:58:06 PM »

Mike Mangini: the world's only drummer who could play in 867/5309 time.

:lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #920 on: March 11, 2015, 05:07:55 PM »
Jenny, Jenny.  Who can I report this to?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #921 on: March 11, 2015, 05:47:39 PM »

Could it be possible that the album has been completely written already? Because of they had already moved to the tracking phase than having only a couple of members in the studio at the time would make sense.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #922 on: March 11, 2015, 08:42:00 PM »
In this interview from November, MM mentions getting together in pieces to work on the new record or just get together and do it. Nothing new really, but maybe this was the plan to record it in snippets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APmwPHNdFvA
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #923 on: March 11, 2015, 09:31:46 PM »
This will piss off a lot of people, but does anyone here know how to produce , play drums, guitar, bass, keyboards, mix etc. If so let me hear your record. I think they have deserved enough credit to TRUST them. Stop putting the cart before the horse. The guys have  been around long enough to know what they are doing. NOBODY hits 100% home runs. You think they sat around one day an said yeah, lets put out a shit record.

When I got married 18 years ago, I remember a friend telling me...........you can have the best wedding in the world. 1/2 will like it 1/2 will not.

I am not saying anyone is not entitled to opinions, but it is way to early to form one regarding the next album

Calvin6s

« Reply #924 on: March 11, 2015, 09:42:19 PM »
This will piss off a lot of people, but does anyone here know how to produce , play drums, guitar, bass, keyboards, mix etc. If so let me hear your record. I think they have deserved enough credit to TRUST them. Stop putting the cart before the horse.

Until you produce a forum equal to DTF in quality and popularity about Dream Theater and related topics, then you aren't allowed to complain about DTF members.

See how that works?

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #925 on: March 11, 2015, 09:57:55 PM »
I did not nor did mention DTF or our members, so please do not put words in my mouth. All I meant was people can speculate, which does make for interesting talk. But people are complaining about the way DT are putting this album together, of which NOBODY is sure how they are doing it. Let them do what they want. They know how to make a DT album than anyone here. Unless Calvin6s you are JP.

Judge after it comes out, I am sure whatever the process, good or bad will determine if we get a DT album after this.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #926 on: March 11, 2015, 10:03:48 PM »
This will piss off a lot of people, but does anyone here know how to produce , play drums, guitar, bass, keyboards, mix etc. If so let me hear your record.

I hate the "if you're not a chef don't judge the food" analogy used here because it really doesn't apply here. Compare the waveforms and data about the separate tracks to records of Steven Wilson or Haken, you'll notice DT is a lot louder, more compressed, and more clipped. Objectively, the sound on some of these recent albums (SC, BCSL, ADTOE, DT12) is subpar at best. We speculate the same will most likely happen, though evidence has been brought to the table that at least a couple of things will be better, but a LOT of things need to be better.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #927 on: March 11, 2015, 10:15:22 PM »
I will not argue that because I agree. All I meant was nobody has heard a bit of this album or even the current status. Maybe they will improve that aspect and hope they do, I was not going after any DTF member because if I was I would call them by name. All I meant was, and like I said, do not put the cart before the horse.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #928 on: March 11, 2015, 10:23:32 PM »
All I meant was nobody has heard a bit of this album or even the current status.

Oh, well I did miss something in your post:

I think they have deserved enough credit to TRUST them.

I don't think they have. They make great music, sure, but as I said earlier, none of the recent albums have sounded good at all. The only ounce of hope of improvement we have comes from Mangini's reply "Changed. :)" and the sound of BTFW, which indeed is much better than DT12. We can only hope, and there's reason for a bit of optimism, but no, I do not trust them yet.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Calvin6s

« Reply #929 on: March 11, 2015, 10:53:53 PM »
I will not argue that because I agree. All I meant was nobody has heard a bit of this album or even the current status.

So it is the perfect time for DT fans to give some feedback about what they like and dislike.  Once the album is out, the opinions on how to fix them become less useful because the odds of them re-recording/mixing/mastering them are slim to none.

They can make a lot of fans happy by offering a dynamic, minimally compressed album.  And worst case, do it via HDTracks and promote it as much as the CD/itunes/Amazon release so people know they won't have to wait to buy the HD Tracks version.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #930 on: March 11, 2015, 11:43:02 PM »
You guys are missing my point. I am not disagreeing with you. All I am saying is ............We do not know what is up yet. So do not judge yet. Yeah, I was actually happy about MM changed comment. SO to me that gives me hope it also means entire band sound recording an album. I did not come back in here for an argument. That was entirely not my intent.

I think bands should listen to feedback. If not, nobody buys their music or  goes to see them.

But I am just gonna thro this out there.  Do you honestly think that when Iron Maiden can get 50,000 people to a show on a regular basis it is because the album sounds great. That is not the case. I tend to overlook an albums mix to an extent. Mixes are not that bad (except for ST. Anger}. Do not get me wrong, it is important, but I put musical ability over a mix.

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #931 on: March 12, 2015, 05:10:01 AM »
The Wizard actualy said "I'm chillin out this week. Clearing out the old notes to get ready for the new ones!" Doesn't this mean that he still has to write the music for the new album? At least, this is the way I read it =)

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #932 on: March 12, 2015, 07:04:43 AM »
The Wizard actualy said "I'm chillin out this week. Clearing out the old notes to get ready for the new ones!" Doesn't this mean that he still has to write the music for the new album? At least, this is the way I read it =)
That's the way I read it too.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #933 on: March 12, 2015, 07:06:00 AM »

If I'm not mistaken, for ADToE they written the album in one month (during January 2011). So it's very plausible that they are in the recording phase by now, only with JP and the one that is recording its instrument at the moment.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #934 on: March 12, 2015, 07:48:08 AM »
If I had to venture a guess as to the status:
I think it's reasonably safe to assume that no major songwriting is happening without JR being there. So, given how far they're in, and how MM's UK gig is approaching quickly, I would say they've recorded the basic songs, and now they're (re)recording tracks for instruments (iron out flubs, record solos). Since you usually start with drums and bass for that, MM and JM are likely recording this week. And that's why JR can take a week off.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #935 on: March 12, 2015, 07:49:34 AM »
If I had to venture a guess as to the status:
I think it's reasonably safe to assume that no major songwriting is happening without JP being there. So, given how far they're in, and how MM's UK gig is approaching quickly, I would say they've recorded the basic songs, and now they're (re)recording tracks for instruments (iron out flubs, record solos). Since you usually start with drums and bass for that, MM and JM are likely recording this week.
I think that makes perfect sense.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #936 on: March 12, 2015, 10:12:47 AM »
I really enjoyed JP's tone in DT12, but it doesn't sound the same he used in BTFW. It sounds way more dirty, and not as clear as in DT12, although I liked it too.
But speaking of MM's tooooone, the one he used in BTFW is way better than DT12. I don't know if it's just a matter of production, but the tone itself sounded way better in the live record. Let's wait to see what will change this time around.

JP over-thinks things way too much. Remember when a guy could just plug a Gibson or a Strat into a Marshall amp and get an awesome tone? Go back to basics.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #937 on: March 12, 2015, 10:26:37 AM »
Remember when a guy could just plug a Gibson or a Strat into a Marshall amp and get an awesome tone?

Yes.

Remember when a guy could just plug a Gibson or a Strat into a Marshall amp and get an awesome tone?

No.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #938 on: March 12, 2015, 10:39:05 AM »
 :lol

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #939 on: March 12, 2015, 10:50:27 AM »

Yes.

No.

Perfect. Fender makes good amps and great basses, but their guitars sound ok at best. Gibson's guitars are much better.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #940 on: March 12, 2015, 11:00:25 AM »
I really enjoyed JP's tone in DT12, but it doesn't sound the same he used in BTFW. It sounds way more dirty, and not as clear as in DT12, although I liked it too.
But speaking of MM's tooooone, the one he used in BTFW is way better than DT12. I don't know if it's just a matter of production, but the tone itself sounded way better in the live record. Let's wait to see what will change this time around.

JP over-thinks things way too much. Remember when a guy could just plug a Gibson or a Strat into a Marshall amp and get an awesome tone? Go back to basics.

I think it's a combination of his choice of amp and effects. To begin with, he plays Mesa Boogies, which are very compressed. It gives you that beautiful singing lead sound and in-your-face power chords, but it leaves you with virtually no dynamics. For example, doing this stuff will be very hard for him these days.
Secondly, he also has a lot of chorus on his clean sounds. Maybe it's because he's a big fan of Alex Lifeson, but I think it also robs him from a more natural clean sound.

Offline GandL

« Reply #941 on: March 12, 2015, 11:20:20 AM »
I think it's a combination of his choice of amp and effects. To begin with, he plays Mesa Boogies, which are very compressed. It gives you that beautiful singing lead sound and in-your-face power chords, but it leaves you with virtually no dynamics. For example, doing this stuff will be very hard for him these days.
Secondly, he also has a lot of chorus on his clean sounds. Maybe it's because he's a big fan of Alex Lifeson, but I think it also robs him from a more natural clean sound.

Damn I like his young style when he was integrating jazz and blues fills.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #942 on: March 12, 2015, 12:07:13 PM »
So the album WILL contain acustic guitars.  ;D

Quote from: John Petrucci
Just got this beautiful Taylor Guitars acoustic. Can't wait to use it on the new DT album!

Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #943 on: March 12, 2015, 12:13:28 PM »
So the album WILL contain acustic guitars.  ;D

13 in a row! What are the odds? :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #944 on: March 12, 2015, 12:18:48 PM »
lol

Still, it would be cool to have another acoustic/mostly acoustic song. There weren't any on DT12, unless I'm misremembering?