Author Topic: Dream Theater entered the studio in February v. No News is Good News  (Read 476786 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Dream Theater in the Studio February
« Reply #140 on: January 15, 2015, 04:27:33 AM »
I hope for an album without the obligatory 'humoristic' JR-circus-music-solo.

Which he actually hardly does.

They sorely need the JR factor back. He's taken a backseat for far too long.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #141 on: January 15, 2015, 05:03:04 AM »

Agreed, think SFAM, SDOIT.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #142 on: January 15, 2015, 06:04:08 AM »

I agree that we need more JR, but I think he had a much more prominent role on ADToE than usual. I was hoping that it would show an increasing tendency on DT12, now I hope that'll happen on DT13.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #143 on: January 15, 2015, 07:22:10 AM »
I'd like to see an album that is more like Derek Sherinian's  latest works with some guest musicians like Al Di Meola. Also, I want an album with ZERO ballads. I'd like to see an album that is all jazz fusion acid rock marijuana tinged Crimson-type prog with less singing and more instrumentals.  Perhaps the album could start off with a huge bong hit leading into a melt your face jam. Enough with the schmaltzy ballads and definitely no songs about their families or kids. As far as the mixing of the album, I'd like to hear a less compressed album with more headroom. I simply don't understand the sound engineer's desire to max out the sound to the point of oversaturation and clipping. Let's hear something a bit more organic for a change.
I don't think DT is the band for you.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #144 on: January 15, 2015, 07:44:48 AM »
I'd like to see an album that is more like Derek Sherinian's  latest works with some guest musicians like Al Di Meola. Also, I want an album with ZERO ballads. I'd like to see an album that is all jazz fusion acid rock marijuana tinged Crimson-type prog with less singing and more instrumentals.  Perhaps the album could start off with a huge bong hit leading into a melt your face jam. Enough with the schmaltzy ballads and definitely no songs about their families or kids. As far as the mixing of the album, I'd like to hear a less compressed album with more headroom. I simply don't understand the sound engineer's desire to max out the sound to the point of oversaturation and clipping. Let's hear something a bit more organic for a change.

The last three sentences I very much agree with. The rest just simply won't happen.

The thought of jazz fusion DT is... an interesting one  :biggrin: They'll probably never do it, but it would be cool.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline bluehaze1933

« Reply #145 on: January 15, 2015, 11:01:39 AM »
Why is that??? Think Liquid Tension. Perhaps the word jazz is off putting for you, but it shouldn't be. I'm not talking about Glenn Miller for god sake. I guess you've never heard Al Di Meola's Dinner Music for the Gods. Check it out on Youtube. This is the stuff that has made John Petrucci who he is.  I guess you forgot that they DID tour with Steve Morse back in 1999/2000 and Yes and the Crimson Project. Can't we get a true musician's prog album for a change instead of trying to be all things to all people. They certainly have the musical ability to expand their horizons quite a bit. They don't need to do the ballad metal thing on every album and they did dabble with a bit of Crimson on 6DOIT. As far as I'm concerned Derek's albums have been a lot more interesting than the last five DT albums. I listen to all forms of music and I'm sure they do too. Al Di Meola and Mahavishnu is not that far of a departure from what they do. I'd like to hear a bit more of that influence and a bit more maturity musically-wise in the songs they do. Their songs have become too formulaic. I know exactly where they are going before they ever get there.. Dream Theater shouldn't be following the AC/DC format of not straying from their box. They have more talent than that and they don't need to imitate Symphony X or try to attract 16 year old boys.  Let's hear an album that caters to the musicians out there for a change. That is the reason why I came to them in the first place. I'll say it again NO BALLADS.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 11:43:47 AM by bluehaze1933 »

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #146 on: January 15, 2015, 11:28:20 AM »
Why is that??? Think Liquid Tension. I guess you've never heard Al Di Meola's Dinner Music for the Gods. Check it out on Youtube. This is the stuff that has made John Petrucci who he is.  I guess you forgot that they DID tour with Steve Morse back in 1999/2000 and Yes and the Crimson Project. Can't we get a true musician's prog album for a change instead of trying to be all things to all people. They certainly have the musical ability to expand their horizons quite a bit. They don't need to do the ballad metal thing on every album and they did dabble with a bit of Crimson on 6DOIT. As far as I'm concerned Derek's albums have been a lot more interesting than the last five DT albums. I listen to all forms of music and I'm sure they do too. Al Di Meola and Mahavishnu is not that far of a departure from what they do. I'd like to hear a bit more of that influence and a bit more maturity musically-wise in the songs they do. Their songs have become too formulaic. I know exactly where they are going before they ever get there.. Dream Theater shouldn't be following the AC/DC format of not straying from their box. They have more talent than that and they don't need to imitate Symphony X or try to attract 16 year old boys. Frankly, my idea is a hell of a lot more interesting than many on this board. Why the hell would anybody want to hear about their family and their problems? I have enough of my own. Let's hear an album that caters to the musicians out there for a change. That is the reason why I came to them in the first place. I'll say it again NO BALLADS.

Wow, self-absorbed much? Your entire post comes across as "Who cares what DT want to do, they should make music how I want them to", which, frankly, seems ridiculous.

Offline bluehaze1933

« Reply #147 on: January 15, 2015, 11:32:01 AM »
Why is that??? Think Liquid Tension. I guess you've never heard Al Di Meola's Dinner Music for the Gods. Check it out on Youtube. This is the stuff that has made John Petrucci who he is.  I guess you forgot that they DID tour with Steve Morse back in 1999/2000 and Yes and the Crimson Project. Can't we get a true musician's prog album for a change instead of trying to be all things to all people. They certainly have the musical ability to expand their horizons quite a bit. They don't need to do the ballad metal thing on every album and they did dabble with a bit of Crimson on 6DOIT. As far as I'm concerned Derek's albums have been a lot more interesting than the last five DT albums. I listen to all forms of music and I'm sure they do too. Al Di Meola and Mahavishnu is not that far of a departure from what they do. I'd like to hear a bit more of that influence and a bit more maturity musically-wise in the songs they do. Their songs have become too formulaic. I know exactly where they are going before they ever get there.. Dream Theater shouldn't be following the AC/DC format of not straying from their box. They have more talent than that and they don't need to imitate Symphony X or try to attract 16 year old boys. Frankly, my idea is a hell of a lot more interesting than many on this board. Why the hell would anybody want to hear about their family and their problems? I have enough of my own. Let's hear an album that caters to the musicians out there for a change. That is the reason why I came to them in the first place. I'll say it again NO BALLADS.

Wow, self-absorbed much? Your entire post comes across as "Who cares what DT want to do, they should make music how I want them to", which, frankly, seems ridiculous.
Self-absorbed? This is just what I'd like to hear just as all of the other posts on here.  They could do whatever the fuck they want. It is THEIR career not mine. This is just what I'd like to hear from them, not my demand. It's my wish list. I'd think they have more potential than you give them credit for. This only my opinion. If you don't like it, that's fine.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 11:45:24 AM by bluehaze1933 »

Offline bluehaze1933

« Reply #148 on: January 15, 2015, 11:40:50 AM »
Deleted my comment....was reposted by accident.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #149 on: January 15, 2015, 11:44:19 AM »
I think your off based bluehaze1933.  I say this because most bands so stray from they certain style they have.  I'd love for them to infuse some of what you said but for the most part, they won't stray that far.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bluehaze1933

« Reply #150 on: January 15, 2015, 11:47:35 AM »
I think your off based bluehaze1933.  I say this because most bands so stray from they certain style they have.  I'd love for them to infuse some of what you said but for the most part, they won't stray that far.
I do understand what you are saying and they most likely won't, but I really don't understand why they can't. They don't rely on the commercial market for their success. They have the musicianship. They have the influences. They have the space to do it. Why can't they infuse a bit more of those influences into their music? If the Beatles could change from bubble gum pop to a more mature semi prog band, why can't Dream Theater get away from the ballad metal theme for an album or two? I think their fans would be accepting.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 11:53:12 AM by bluehaze1933 »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: January 15, 2015, 11:53:26 AM »
It's what they like to be honest. Most don't stray from the comfortable.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline bluehaze1933

« Reply #152 on: January 15, 2015, 11:55:48 AM »
It's what they like to be honest. Most don't stray from the comfortable. Rudess/ Morgensteen; Rudess/Petrucci/Liquid Tension/ doing cover of favorite albums/ there is precedent for doing something else

Offline bluehaze1933

« Reply #153 on: January 15, 2015, 11:57:17 AM »
Sorry kings...I sort of morphed our comments by accident. For those reading...his comment ended with the word comfortable...I have all thumbs for fingers apparently.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 12:10:06 PM by bluehaze1933 »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: January 15, 2015, 12:39:04 PM »
 :lol

No problem man!  That's why they do outside projects, to scratch those itches. DT has a brand that they will stick to.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #155 on: January 15, 2015, 02:36:18 PM »
Why is that??? Think Liquid Tension.
I love LTE, but it is (and should be) different than DT, although that experience definitely would be influential in the way that DT wrote and recorded their music.  Although it didn't really change the actual music that they wrote, which is a key here.

Perhaps the word jazz is off putting for you, but it shouldn't be.
Nope, I like jazz.

I'm not talking about Glenn Miller for god sake.
I like Glenn Miller.

I guess you've never heard Al Di Meola's Dinner Music for the Gods. Check it out on Youtube.
Condescend much?  I love Di Meola.

This is the stuff that has made John Petrucci who he is.
Well, that is PART of what made him who he is.

I guess you forgot that they DID tour with Steve Morse back in 1999/2000 and Yes and the Crimson Project.
I guess you do condescend much.  I remember all of that, thanks.  But all of those bands do different music than DT does.

Can't we get a true musician's prog album for a change instead of trying to be all things to all people. They certainly have the musical ability to expand their horizons quite a bit. They don't need to do the ballad metal thing on every album and they did dabble with a bit of Crimson on 6DOIT.
What we get on every album is the album they wanted to make. 

As far as I'm concerned Derek's albums have been a lot more interesting than the last five DT albums.
OK.  Nothing wrong with that opinion.

I listen to all forms of music and I'm sure they do too. Al Di Meola and Mahavishnu is not that far of a departure from what they do.
I don't know.  I think that especially compositionally, it's quite a bit different.

I'd like to hear a bit more of that influence and a bit more maturity musically-wise in the songs they do. Their songs have become too formulaic. I know exactly where they are going before they ever get there.. Dream Theater shouldn't be following the AC/DC format of not straying from their box.
It's obvious that you don't care for the direction they have gone in.  That is why I suggested that perhaps this isn't the band for you, given what you would like them to do (which they won't do).

They have more talent than that and they don't need to imitate Symphony X or try to attract 16 year old boys.
I don't think they are doing either of those things.

Let's hear an album that caters to the musicians out there for a change. That is the reason why I came to them in the first place.
Not catering to YOUR particular musical tastes doesn't mean they don't cater to musicians.

I'll say it again NO BALLADS.
Good luck with that.  They obviously like writing ballads.  They even included a ballad on their straight-up metal album (IMO, it was the best song on the album).

Hey, I like all the music you mentioned.  But I don't want DT to sound like all the other bands I like, and I don't want all the other bands I like to start sounding like DT.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: January 15, 2015, 02:44:47 PM »
Hef, I don't have you patience to quote that many and respond to every one. :lol

Offline bluehaze1933

« Reply #157 on: January 15, 2015, 02:53:38 PM »
Why is that??? Think Liquid Tension.
I love LTE, but it is (and should be) different than DT, although that experience definitely would be influential in the way that DT wrote and recorded their music.  Although it didn't really change the actual music that they wrote, which is a key here.

Perhaps the word jazz is off putting for you, but it shouldn't be.
Nope, I like jazz.

I'm not talking about Glenn Miller for god sake.
I like Glenn Miller.

I guess you've never heard Al Di Meola's Dinner Music for the Gods. Check it out on Youtube.
Condescend much?  I love Di Meola.

This is the stuff that has made John Petrucci who he is.
Well, that is PART of what made him who he is.

I guess you forgot that they DID tour with Steve Morse back in 1999/2000 and Yes and the Crimson Project.
I guess you do condescend much.  I remember all of that, thanks.  But all of those bands do different music than DT does.

Can't we get a true musician's prog album for a change instead of trying to be all things to all people. They certainly have the musical ability to expand their horizons quite a bit. They don't need to do the ballad metal thing on every album and they did dabble with a bit of Crimson on 6DOIT.
What we get on every album is the album they wanted to make. 

As far as I'm concerned Derek's albums have been a lot more interesting than the last five DT albums.
OK.  Nothing wrong with that opinion.

I listen to all forms of music and I'm sure they do too. Al Di Meola and Mahavishnu is not that far of a departure from what they do.
I don't know.  I think that especially compositionally, it's quite a bit different.

I'd like to hear a bit more of that influence and a bit more maturity musically-wise in the songs they do. Their songs have become too formulaic. I know exactly where they are going before they ever get there.. Dream Theater shouldn't be following the AC/DC format of not straying from their box.
It's obvious that you don't care for the direction they have gone in.  That is why I suggested that perhaps this isn't the band for you, given what you would like them to do (which they won't do).

They have more talent than that and they don't need to imitate Symphony X or try to attract 16 year old boys.
I don't think they are doing either of those things.

Let's hear an album that caters to the musicians out there for a change. That is the reason why I came to them in the first place.
Not catering to YOUR particular musical tastes doesn't mean they don't cater to musicians.

I'll say it again NO BALLADS.
Good luck with that.  They obviously like writing ballads.  They even included a ballad on their straight-up metal album (IMO, it was the best song on the album).

Hey, I like all the music you mentioned.  But I don't want DT to sound like all the other bands I like, and I don't want all the other bands I like to start sounding like DT.
Fair comments...sorry if I sounded condescending on a couple of comments, but they were meant to show that they could be a bit more varied in their sound then they currently are given the variety of bands they've toured with. I know they have a "sound' all their own but does one really want a Dream Theater album to be just iterations of all of their last albums? To me, that is a formula for getting stale not in progressing. As far as sounding like other bands, you have to admit they definitely went for a semi-Rush sound on the last album and False Awakening was definitely a nod to Symphony X. I guess I just expect a bit more than what I've heard recently given their immense talent. It's not a slam on the band to want their talent to stand out more. It's actually a compliment to their abilities. By the way, I like Glenn Miller too.  :hat

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #158 on: January 15, 2015, 02:54:52 PM »
*shrugs*

This far into their career, I just don't expect them to make major changes to what they do.  Small things, for sure, but major changes...not so much.

Offline bluehaze1933

« Reply #159 on: January 15, 2015, 03:17:33 PM »
:lol

No problem man!  That's why they do outside projects, to scratch those itches. DT has a brand that they will stick to.
  I think you just hit the nail on the head as to why Mike Portnoy left the band. He definitely had a point that I think Dream Theater should have given more thought to. It should have been done more gracefully, but he had a point. It reminds me of the Roger Waters/Pink Floyd spat. As much as I don't care for Water's solo albums (Amused to Death is Terminal), Pink Floyd got bloated and stale and their last two/three albums lack the edge he brought just as I think there is a serious hole in the middle of DT on stage. Mike Mangini is fantastic but Mike Portnoy was the soul of the band and had the stage presence Mangini doesn't have. I know some might disagree with that assessment, but that's the feeling I got from their Dramatic Turn of Events show In Pompano, Fl. in 2011. It is what it is, though, and DT have moved on. My opinion is Mike Portnoy will be back in a few years. That all being said, it would be nice to see more side projects from the band, especially from Petrucci. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: January 15, 2015, 03:22:16 PM »
But Mike always had that ability to go scratch that itch in side projects.  He burnt himself out and pointed his blame at DT.  Mike did it to himself.  I still love the guy and follow most of the bands he plays in but he did do it to himself.

Offline bluehaze1933

« Reply #161 on: January 15, 2015, 03:27:12 PM »
He did. Unfortunately, that's what happens with work-aholics. I don't think it was the side projects, but rather the fact that he took everything related to DT upon himself. The other members let him and didn't step up to take some of the work load.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #162 on: January 15, 2015, 03:33:50 PM »
If there's one thing I really want DT to stay away from, it's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R2aW03pwL0#t=52
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline bluehaze1933

« Reply #163 on: January 15, 2015, 03:38:08 PM »
If there's one thing I really want DT to stay away from, it's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R2aW03pwL0#t=52
Funny...the tassels on JP's pants in 2005 were pretty close...

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #164 on: January 15, 2015, 03:40:03 PM »
He did. Unfortunately, that's what happens with work-aholics. I don't think it was the side projects, but rather the fact that he took everything related to DT upon himself. The other members let him and didn't step up to take some of the work load.

There's nothing to indicate that they hadn't offered. MP is a self-proclaimed control freak. He probably would've refused the help.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline bluehaze1933

« Reply #165 on: January 15, 2015, 03:47:06 PM »

There's nothing to indicate that they hadn't offered. MP is a self-proclaimed control freak. He probably would've refused the help.
He is a control freak. No doubt about that, but shit you watch the video of James Labrie playing basketball while everybody else is doing the writing speaks for itself. I know he says the band (Jp, JM, MP) wanted it that way, but it is still a bit disconnected. Couple that with Mike's comments about the after tour dinner where someone (I am assuming it was James he was talking about...correct me if I'm wrong) had his ear phones on during the whole dinner and I think it is safe to say the level of caring in the band had diminished in Mikes eyes to the point of just riding the ship and their laurels.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: January 15, 2015, 04:28:40 PM »
But there my be a reason that James did not write lyrics early on.  John and Mike wanted to do it.

Remember when Mike was riding James on the vocals on the TOT doc?  Control baby!  He burnt himself out.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #167 on: January 15, 2015, 04:48:15 PM »
Having had enough first-hand experience with control freak at my workplace, I can definitely see the classic vicious cycle going on with MP back in the day. It all starts out with MP seeing something he doesn't feel is up to snuff. So he does it himself. With better results (or at least, to his better liking).
Problem is, from that moment on, that thing has become "his turf", and nobody wants to touch it anymore, since it will likely result in massive meddling from his side.
And so, the control freak slowly amasses parts of his work under him, and quickly he considers the whole thing his turf. And the others check out mentally more and more, since any involvement would essentially involve " subjugating" yourself under the guy who, in reality, is really just a peer.
The Control Freak only sees the mental check out, and he gets increasingly frustrated, amassing more and more aspects. It's a vicious cycle, and many a micromanager has fallen prey to it.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline bluehaze1933

« Reply #168 on: January 15, 2015, 04:53:22 PM »
Very true.

Offline 425

« Reply #169 on: January 16, 2015, 05:32:03 PM »
Couple that with Mike's comments about the after tour dinner where someone (I am assuming it was James he was talking about...correct me if I'm wrong) had his ear phones on during the whole dinner and I think it is safe to say the level of caring in the band had diminished in Mikes eyes to the point of just riding the ship and their laurels.

I thought that was unconfirmed but speculated to be John Myung? Don't know though. Honestly, I see where you're coming from, but I really don't think you should expect Dream Theater as they are right now to move outside of their box. I think Jordan is the most experimental musician in the band, and he seems to prefer to do much of his experimentation on solo/side projects. I think you ought to take Hef's advice when he says that this may not be the band for you anymore. Doesn't mean you still can't be a fan of the older material, but I think given your expectations it may not be a good idea for you to eagerly await each new album.

On another note, I agree with you to a significant degree about MP, though I very much doubt we'll see him back. However, I don't think we should expect or try to push the current DT lineup to be more experimental, because they don't seem to want to and it's therefore unlikely to happen. They're still putting out good music, in my opinion, even if they have mostly stopped evolving stylistically.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #170 on: January 17, 2015, 01:17:48 AM »
For my part, I would like a song a la Space Dye Vestwith no solo whatsoever.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #171 on: January 17, 2015, 05:21:22 AM »
This thread is 5 pages already, and we're still two weeks away from the start of February. For all we know, they might not even go in until the middle or the end of the month.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #172 on: January 17, 2015, 10:37:09 AM »
As much as I enjoyed the ballads on ADTOE and DT13....IMO their best since, well....forever ago....it wouldn't bother me one bit if they shelved writing any ballads on this next album and gave us nothing but prog.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #173 on: January 17, 2015, 10:42:40 AM »
As much as I enjoyed the ballads on ADTOE and DT13....IMO their best since, well....forever ago....it wouldn't bother me one bit if they shelved writing any ballads on this next album and gave us nothing but prog.

I think that would tire people's ears, especially if the production is subpar as has been the trend. Albums need contrast.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline bluehaze1933

« Reply #174 on: January 17, 2015, 11:17:17 AM »

I think that would tire people's ears, especially if the production is subpar as has been the trend. Albums need contrast.
I agree with drake about the ballads on the last two albums. That being said, It wouldn't tire my ears one bit. An album doesn't need ballads to have contrast. Good song writing is good song writing regardless of whether or not ballads are on an album. For me (just my opinion) ballads on DT albums have always came off as fillers.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 11:34:15 AM by bluehaze1933 »