Author Topic: Dream Theater entered the studio in February v. No News is Good News  (Read 476789 times)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: Dream Theater in the Studio February
« Reply #105 on: January 10, 2015, 09:49:51 PM »
I'm looking forward to a redemption album.  No, not from the group Redemption.  A redemption album from DT12.  :p
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #106 on: January 10, 2015, 10:20:17 PM »
I'm hoping for something more dark, than heavy. DT's done a lot of cheesy the past few albums... Something creative and dark more akin to the Awake or SDOIT atmosphere would be a cool way to go imo
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #107 on: January 12, 2015, 06:54:31 AM »
My wish list would be:

Better production. Bring in portnoy to mix the drums  ;D seriously though; I don't want the next album to sound so saturated. A little room to breathe - tune the drums back up.
More JR as in his writing influence. I'd love to hear a track with him and mangini let loose.
More moment from JLB like the "Mothers for the Children" section from Illumination Theory.
More cowbell.
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #108 on: January 12, 2015, 07:13:25 AM »
If only they got Kevin Shirley to mix the album...

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #109 on: January 12, 2015, 08:57:21 AM »
More moment from JLB like the "Mothers for the Children" section from Illumination Theory.

That section embodies everything I personally would like JLB to avoid on the next album.

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #110 on: January 12, 2015, 09:53:16 AM »
I am interested to know why you think this

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #111 on: January 12, 2015, 10:10:43 AM »
Me too. One of James LaBrie's signature assets is high singing, and although it's obviously not what it was in the 90s it still infuses with power certain songs, like Illumination Theory. Imagine that section an octave lower *shrugs*.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #112 on: January 12, 2015, 01:09:52 PM »
I'd love a double album in the vein of Six Degrees meets Greatest Hit meets In Your Honor by Foo Fighters.

An experimental, heavy, progressive Disc One, chock full of long songs, metal songs, strange songs...

And a lighter Disc Two with songs like The Silent Man, Solitary Shell, Beneath the Surface, Far From Heaven, etc...

That would tickle so many fancies of mine.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #113 on: January 12, 2015, 01:16:48 PM »
Me too. One of James LaBrie's signature assets is high singing, and although it's obviously not what it was in the 90s it still infuses with power certain songs, like Illumination Theory. Imagine that section an octave lower *shrugs*.
Definitely more of James's high voice.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #114 on: January 12, 2015, 02:43:07 PM »

I think that because his voice isn't as good as it used to be. Which is fine, as I have said before, as long as they don't force those high notes on him which I feel like they did on DT12 (specifically IT). In those cases I find a bit embarrasing to listen to him, since I don't think it's good.

Imagine that section an octave lower *shrugs*.

I agree, that part should be sung in that octave. But in my opinion it just wasn't handed well, and I would have preferred it if they instead went in another direction so that JLB didn't have to force himself that high.

Offline 425

« Reply #115 on: January 12, 2015, 02:57:20 PM »

I think that because his voice isn't as good as it used to be. Which is fine, as I have said before, as long as they don't force those high notes on him which I feel like they did on DT12 (specifically IT). In those cases I find a bit embarrasing to listen to him, since I don't think it's good.

I'm somewhat inclined to agree. Personally, I don't think that part in IT sounds any better than clean, natural singing does, and I think he sounds best when he just naturally sings melodies that are in his range. I never really got all the excitement about that part, really. It was somewhat impressive to hear him go that high after all these years, but I really don't need to hear anything like that again on the next album. I would rather hear something more like an ADTOE vocal performance where he never really goes for anything crazy (BMUBMD, but that's a backing part) but sounds consistently good.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #116 on: January 12, 2015, 05:27:27 PM »
If only they got Kevin Shirley to mix the album...

^  yes, this.  I did not realize until I looked him up that he produced the Counterparts album for Rush.  He was also on the  'behind the lighted stage documentary'.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #117 on: January 12, 2015, 07:00:53 PM »
I'd love a double album in the vein of Six Degrees meets Greatest Hit meets In Your Honor by Foo Fighters.

An experimental, heavy, progressive Disc One, chock full of long songs, metal songs, strange songs...

And a lighter Disc Two with songs like The Silent Man, Solitary Shell, Beneath the Surface, Far From Heaven, etc...

That would tickle so many fancies of mine.
This would be cool. Although I'd like more experimental/dynamic softer songs like Disappear and Surrounded. Or even The Bigger Picture. I don't like their straightforward ballads enough to be engaged for an entire disc.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #118 on: January 13, 2015, 02:11:37 AM »

I'm somewhat inclined to agree. Personally, I don't think that part in IT sounds any better than clean, natural singing does, and I think he sounds best when he just naturally sings melodies that are in his range. I never really got all the excitement about that part, really. It was somewhat impressive to hear him go that high after all these years, but I really don't need to hear anything like that again on the next album. I would rather hear something more like an ADTOE vocal performance where he never really goes for anything crazy (BMUBMD, but that's a backing part) but sounds consistently good.

That's fine. I for one got goosebumps listening to that bit (and that hasn't happened for a long time for me listening to DT) and I think it's the stand out moment on the album. I think that in itself is a huge compliment to huge credit to JLB considering that caliber of musician he's performing with. I was blown away when I first heard it and I thought "wow - I did not know he still had it in him."

Each to their own I spose.

Offline Octavarious

• Scenes from a Mesmerism
« Reply #119 on: January 13, 2015, 04:13:21 PM »
A concept album in 3 CDs, about the tragedy of a man that loses his wallet in the NYC subway (in the overture song) and after 3 discs, at the last song, realises he won't find that bloody wallet anymore.
In the middle, lots of reflection in 7/8 on how could that happen to him, why, when and where exactly.
Title: 13 bucks gone forever. There is where the fatal number gets in...
Featuring an epic 22' instrumental called "maybe on the stairways?".
Wouldn't that be progressive and very experimental?
 :facepalm: :rollin
From Rome, with love.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #120 on: January 13, 2015, 05:53:30 PM »
A concept album about this guy who invests his whole life into the thing he loves, and it completely consumes him. But, over the years he realizes that he had lost his soul on the way, that he had just been treading water. So, he seeks to find that love, that spark, again. Eventually he realizes that he can no longer get it back.
And then he wants a hiatus but gets kicked out of the band.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #121 on: January 13, 2015, 06:11:41 PM »
Any of them [the previous two posts] would be awesome if the accompanying music was awesome (at the level of SFAM let's say).

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #122 on: January 13, 2015, 06:32:09 PM »
Wall of text, you've been warned..  :rollin
Just been reading through this thread and there were multiple messages I want to respond to.

That section embodies everything I personally would like JLB to avoid on the next album.

I think it's a highlight of the album. Besides, even if it's not your cup of tea, it's just one bit. Most of the his singing is in a fairly comfortable range, which I'm sure we can expect plenty of. But why put a limitation on what you'd expect from him? I'm happy for James to surprise us with stuff like IT even if it's just one little bit, and even if it's not something I'd personally expect from him (BMUBMD screams), it's still cool when they try something different.

FII-style album could be great but maybe a little more metal and experimental style.

Agreed, I think one thing that can be said about FII is that is stands the test of time. So another album in a similar regard, could end up being an outstanding classic in retrospect. Metal is fun, and I love me some chunky riffs, but it's more niche than Rock. I think in the long run, a wider range of people will appreciate the harder rocking side as opposed to the heavy metal side of the band. As for the progressive side, I like to think progressive/prog is becoming more accepted/appreciated these days and that people are getting bored with generic repetitive formulaic music. So DT will hopefully always be remembered for this side of them.

A cool idea would be if they rummaged the cutting floor a bit, and maybe flesh out ideas that were canned during writing of other albums. That way they could have a cool mix of "modern DT takes on old, but unheard, DT material".

YES! I bet there's heaps of stuff that got locked in the closet, that could have the potential of being an absolute gem. An infusion of earlier style DT with a modern interpretation. It's possible some recent stuff has actually derived from ideas that certain members have been sitting on for a while, but it's hard to know. It sounds like the band does keep archives of old and new material though so I like the sound of your idea.

I am hoping for something more emotionally dark.  Lyrically, the last few albums have been about the answers to the problems in life.  I would appreciate a return to songs that lyrically (and musically) relay the pain of being IN the problem.

I get what you're saying but it's important the the lyrics are honest. The recent stuff seems to be more about the solution to the problems of pain or resistance in life, which is where the writers are at personally, and that's just as sincere as songs written from a personal point of view of experiencing a particular problem. It's all a matter resonating with a type of expression, but I think you won't necessarily get the desired results by trying to put your IN the middle of an issue if you don't have personal views or attachments to it. You have to have an honest perspective or your message comes across as contrived.

I'm torn, I hope they go back to heavy roots with this one, I loved train of thought, but I also love the mellow stuff like vacant, far from heaven, this is the life, wait for sleep, etc

Haha me too. I'm torn, I love the heavy stuff. But I think the band thrives when they find that point between heavy/technical and soft/melodic. But I can't complain, they normally do at least one or two heavier songs which'll keep me happy, and the rest will probably grow on me like it did with DT12.

Absolutely agree with this! Seems like the ultimate solution to the bands never ending issue of being confined to the parameters of the release medium. Who cares about time, just write whatever and as much as they want, and if it's over 80 minutes, well chuck it on a second disk. I also like the the idea of the "dark and lighter" side as portrayed on the greatest hit album.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #123 on: January 13, 2015, 06:33:41 PM »
A concept album about this guy who invests his whole life into the thing he loves, and it completely consumes him. But, over the years he realizes that he had lost his soul on the way, that he had just been treading water. So, he seeks to find that love, that spark, again. Eventually he realizes that he can no longer get it back.

You mean leaves the band.

Not the first time you've made that mistake, from what I recall.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 07:12:53 PM by BlobVanDam »
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #124 on: January 13, 2015, 07:17:56 PM »
Who cares. It was a joke post, obviously.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #125 on: January 13, 2015, 07:42:10 PM »
For the next album, I would like Six Degrees sounding combined with more songs, some short, some long.  I think the length of tracks on ADTOE was perfect.

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #126 on: January 13, 2015, 09:17:40 PM »
i would welcome a balls to the wall metal album like TOT, but they tried that already with SC, and it came out a bit disjointed. I do like a few songs from that album though, TDEN and ITPOE still gets a few listen every now and then.

So a heavy album that concentrates on what made TOT so great and weed out the things that went bad with SC.

As for JLB's singing, I think he's on a second wind. He knows where and how far to push it without sounding flat like he used to. He's without a doubt an acquired taste for those who are not used to that 80's style of singing.  I welcome an IT moment again as long as it fits the song.

Offline Knguro

« Reply #127 on: January 14, 2015, 08:41:54 AM »
Sweet. I hope this one is super heavy. I'm still waiting for Train of Thought pt. 2.
I would like that.  I think it's time for this type of album.

As much as I would love that, I dont see that happening anymore, that was more an MP kind of thing.

Still cant wait! I bet it might a concept album this time.
...Here before me is my soul, I'm learning to live...
And your English is just fine. :tup

Offline Knguro

« Reply #128 on: January 14, 2015, 09:08:49 AM »
A concept album about Jesus....  :angel:

Offline Art

« Reply #129 on: January 14, 2015, 09:16:25 AM »
A Creed cover released as a bonus.

Offline Knguro

« Reply #130 on: January 14, 2015, 09:36:11 AM »
A Creed cover released as a bonus.

... Can you take me higher? To the place where blind men see...  :biggrin:

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #131 on: January 14, 2015, 09:51:04 AM »
I predict:

A song about how the media uses all the tragedies and bat shit craziness around the world to keep us all on edge and drive up TV ratings.

A song about kids getting older/parenthood.

A song about dreams not realized.

An instrumental that has a section that is more in line with the "Easter Egg"

But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #132 on: January 14, 2015, 11:56:18 AM »
I predict:

A song about how the media uses all the tragedies and bat shit craziness around the world to keep us all on edge and drive up TV ratings.

A song about kids getting older/parenthood.

A song about dreams not realized.

An instrumental that has a section that is more in line with the "Easter Egg"

You know something?  I would like a song about that.  Pretty thought-provoking and something relevant to everyday life that is a serious matter that needs to be talked about in some form of communication.  Also, this topic is a reason why I stopped watching TV, regularly, and reading news articles from Yahoo, etc. because it's just so depressing to read and those that post it, announce it on news, etc. knows that they are getting hits and stuff.  A DT song about it could be very intriguing.

As for a song about getting older/parenthood, wouldn't that be something that would be more in the ballpark of Green Day?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 12:02:22 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #133 on: January 14, 2015, 12:30:15 PM »
Why Green Day and not DT? :lol

They do have children growing up?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bluehaze1933

« Reply #134 on: January 14, 2015, 02:46:46 PM »
I'd like to see an album that is more like Derek Sherinian's  latest works with some guest musicians like Al Di Meola. Also, I want an album with ZERO ballads. I'd like to see an album that is all jazz fusion acid rock marijuana tinged Crimson-type prog with less singing and more instrumentals.  Perhaps the album could start off with a huge bong hit leading into a melt your face jam. Enough with the schmaltzy ballads and definitely no songs about their families or kids. As far as the mixing of the album, I'd like to hear a less compressed album with more headroom. I simply don't understand the sound engineer's desire to max out the sound to the point of oversaturation and clipping. Let's hear something a bit more organic for a change.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 03:13:08 PM by bluehaze1933 »

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #135 on: January 14, 2015, 07:34:34 PM »
Why Green Day and not DT? :lol

They do have children growing up?

I was probably thinking at a different angle, and plus I was too hungry to think properly, at the time.  Uhhh, hmm, a song about them discussing parenthood?  It would probably be more ballady rather than high-energy, but if done properly, it can possibly work without it being too chessy.

Edit: I just read the post above me, yeah, bluehaze, this kind of idea would not be for you.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #136 on: January 14, 2015, 08:05:06 PM »
I vote for AVOIDING a darker, more metal album, simply for fear of a diminished production value in trying to compete with other contemporary metal bands.   I don't the next DT album to considered "The Great Compression," no matter how loud it may sound.  Keep it dynamic and allow some breathing room.

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #137 on: January 15, 2015, 02:32:46 AM »
Less chunk n balls; more groove n melody

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #138 on: January 15, 2015, 02:51:55 AM »

I lol'd.

Offline LightCurves

« Reply #139 on: January 15, 2015, 04:16:56 AM »
I hope for an album without the obligatory 'humoristic' JR-circus-music-solo.