Author Topic: Dream Theater entered the studio in February v. No News is Good News  (Read 476794 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Dream Theater in the Studio February
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2015, 03:40:17 PM »
Yeah. I also don't think James has the delivery of really heavy stuff.

Probably my biggest wish is a less brickwalled sound.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2015, 04:54:50 PM »
Just please don't call it 13, XIII or some bullshit like that. :lol

Hey I think they could pull off a XIII at this point.  It's the number that transcends the Octavarium and could tie into a mini concept of sorts. :P

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2015, 05:15:43 PM »
Well, the album title template is

"A <conjunctive phrase> B" (I and W, F into I, AC of S, S from a M, T of T, SD of IT, BC and SL, ADT of E)

so that might be a likely indicator for the next album title.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2015, 05:24:36 PM »
So I guess the real question; is it be gonna something and something. Something from something else, or something of this other something. Ya know, we haven't had something into something for a while.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2015, 05:30:52 PM »
So I guess the real question; is it be gonna something and something. Something from something else, or something of this other something. Ya know, we haven't had something into something for a while.

I'd like to see a "_____ or _____" title. Maybe a concept album based on "You Or Me"? :lol

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2015, 05:31:01 PM »
What about "Something from Nothing"? You heard it here first.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2015, 05:39:55 PM »

Then, people are going to think that it's something to do with Foo Fighters (I know it's not that fancy of a title, but people misinterpret stuff easily).

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2015, 05:44:51 PM »

But he can do Awake vocals again. So more of that Mirror/Lie/Scarred/CIAW sound again, please? ;)

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2015, 05:47:23 PM »
Illumination Theory is great and The Bigger Picture is quite frankly one of the best DT songs ever written.  Along for the Ride is beautiful.  But not much else really grabbed me. 

If they can come out with an album jam packed with amazing songs, I will be ecstatic. 

If they come out with another album with 3 amazing songs (that equal over 30 minutes total) I will be very happy.  Either way I am psyched for this album. 

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2015, 05:48:27 PM »
I am kinda partial to th1rt3en myself.
Oh, the horror! In that case, I'll insist on calling it thonertthreeen...eh, like calling Scre4m, Scre-four-em.
Sounds like debate night on religion.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 05:53:52 PM by Sycsa »

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Ad134

« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2015, 06:04:06 PM »
8 + 5 = 13... OC2VARIUM

/s

I just hope for a focus on strong melodies - it worked for them last time around! I don't care if it's a concept album or not, I just want some kickass prog and I know that if anyone's gonna deliver, it'll be DT.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2015, 06:32:16 PM »
 :metal

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2015, 06:36:37 PM »
It literally seems like yesterday DT12 came out.

How many unique studio albums has Metallica put out in the past oh... 23 years, in comparison to Dream Theater?

Offline Shine

« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2015, 06:44:46 PM »

But he can do Awake vocals again. So more of that Mirror/Lie/Scarred/CIAW sound again, please? ;)

please please please please please
lake of fire

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2015, 06:47:49 PM »
Yeah, the studio videos from DT12 were pretty generic and gave us really nothing, except a chocolate cake joke. And then there are bands like Periphery, who's studio updates are really hilarious and informative at the same time, with some teasers of new stuff. I hope they do something more in that vein.

I don't want anything leading up to the release bar a few pics. I want a 90 minute making of DVD *with* the album.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2015, 06:50:12 PM »
And dear GOD - you have to nail the production this time.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2015, 06:55:01 PM »
How many unique studio albums has Metallica put out in the past oh... 23 years, in comparison to Dream Theater?

Lulu? :laugh: About as "unique" as it gets really.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 07:13:13 PM by Rodni Demental »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2015, 06:57:31 PM »
Yeah, the studio videos from DT12 were pretty generic and gave us really nothing, except a chocolate cake joke. And then there are bands like Periphery, who's studio updates are really hilarious and informative at the same time, with some teasers of new stuff. I hope they do something more in that vein.

I don't want anything leading up to the release bar a few pics. I want a 90 minute making of DVD *with* the album.

You could just not follow it, if you want to avoid it, and they can still do a doco with the album with all of the cool stuff they wouldn't/couldn't have shown before the album is released. I loved the SC documentary, so I'd love to see them do one of those again. That would be a big selling point for a SE for me!

I sorely miss having updates during the process. It makes the wait so much easier, and builds more excitement.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline The Cat Of Tuscany

• "The truth is the truth and the only thing you can do is to live with it."
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2015, 06:58:34 PM »
Yayyyy!!!!!

I'd like to see an album similar to BCASL, but with one or two more songs. I really liked that album, and the fact that only two songs on it were shorter than ten minutes. But I'll be fine with whatever they come out with, as long as the guitar sounds better than I thought it did on DT12.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2015, 07:02:11 PM »
It literally seems like yesterday DT12 came out.

Metallica - 1991
Load - 1995
Reload - 1996
St. Anger - 2003
Death Magnetic - 2008

Hasn't DT released like 11 albums in that time ? Probably 12 by the time 2015 is over.

And nobody can play the "Quality not quantity" card since St. Anger and Death Magnetic are hardly quality albums...

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2015, 07:10:08 PM »
Metallica - 1991
Load - 1995
Reload - 1996
St. Anger - 2003
Death Magnetic - 2008

They've almost come to stand still at this point.
- 4 albums in the 80s
- 3 albums in the 90s
- 2 albums in the 00s
- 1 album within the last 10 years
- 0 albums this decade and we're halfway through it.

DT:
- 1 album on the arse end the 80s
- 4 albums in the 90s
- 5 albums in the 00s
- 3 at least this decade. With the potential for 4 or 5 if they continue the way they are.

DT are consistent, you gotta give 'em that. Easy to take for granted.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 07:20:57 PM by Rodni Demental »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2015, 07:28:37 PM »
Well, yeah, but the good thing about Metallica's post-'90s output is...um...well, you see, it's...lemme get back to you.  :justjen
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TheDisposableHero

« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2015, 07:42:38 PM »
This is all fine and dandy, but I want to know when the heck the second John Petrucci solo album is going to drop!

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2015, 08:17:39 PM »
I think MM's drums are WAY too low and did JMX even record bass? Who mixed this album anyway??.....a high school music student? James can't hit that E any longer  and The lyrics are..... Oh wait...

:loser:
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2015, 10:32:19 PM »
Well, yeah, but the good thing about Metallica's post-'90s output is...um...well, you see, it's...lemme get back to you.  :justjen

Death Magnetic kicks ass. I don't get why everyone hates it.

As for Dream Theater, I was kind of hoping they would do some more touring this year, but I'm always excited for new DT music.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online The Letter M

« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2015, 11:20:55 PM »
8 + 5 = 13... OC2VARIUM

/s

I just hope for a focus on strong melodies - it worked for them last time around! I don't care if it's a concept album or not, I just want some kickass prog and I know that if anyone's gonna deliver, it'll be DT.

Actually...now that you mention it, their 5th album was a narrative concept album while their 8th was a musically-based thematic concept (octaves, roots, rising keys along the F-minor scale, using negative-tracked sound for the non-key notes, etc. etc.). So maybe....JUST MAYBE... their 13th album will be a sort of concept album?!? Hmmmm....

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2015, 11:25:51 PM »
I'm really not sure why people always clamor for DT to make concept albums. They made one, and the concept was easily the weakest part of the album.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2015, 11:32:23 PM »
Well DT have always been good with recurring musical/lyrical themes in their music, whether a concept album or not. Metropolis was cool because there was a bit more of that and even if the lyrical concept wasn't that strong, the way it was supported by the music and how the songs all flowed together was very special. Seems to make sense that people would like it if DT tread those waters again.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline 425

« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2015, 11:34:54 PM »
Sweet. I hope this one is super heavy. I'm still waiting for Train of Thought pt. 2.
I would like that.  I think it's time for this type of album.
As in DT12 wasn't heavy enough?

This. Please, can we have a mix that doesn't emphasize JP quite so much and doesn't make every song sound heavy?

That's why the number one item on my DT13 wish list is Jordan Rudess. I want to hear much more Jordan on this album, and not just backing choruses and playing keyboard solos. I want to hear his influence in creating atmosphere and character throughout the entire album. DT12 had Jordan's signature on Illumination Theory and Behind the Veil; I'd like to hear it on every song of DT13.

I would also love for them to go a little outside the box. Not too much, if they don't want to, but maybe as much as they did on Octavarium. I would be interested to hear them pursue the electronic angle they hinted at on ADTOE with BMUBMD and Outcry. Do I expect them to do these things? No, I expect to hear another fairly safe, DT-style prog metal album in the vein of ADTOE and DT12, because I think that's what they're pretty content to do. I'm sure if they do that it will be a good album, and I'll buy it regardless, but I would really like to hear something a little bit outside of the box they've been in on the past couple of albums.

Other wish list item: I want to be able to hear John sing backup on the album. That's a big thing I miss from the SFAM-BCSL albums.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline fsh3702

• 爱梦剧院、爱数理化、爱吉他、爱mount&blade
« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2015, 11:40:41 PM »
i wish the album this time can transform their old style a little bit, maybe some acoustic song, not too heavy.

The music has better to bear a concrete meaning, a significance, better to tell a story, not necessary to be a long concept album, but like metroplis part 1. the album needs to be refreshing to the listeners.
F=ma
E=mc2=hν
▽E=-dB/dt
1h2/2m▽2ψ+Uψ=Eψ

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2015, 12:04:24 AM »
I'm really not sure why people always clamor for DT to make concept albums. They made one, and the concept was easily the weakest part of the album.

I'm one of the last people who really wants another concept album (I'm not a prog fan, so it doesn't give me a prog-boner), and I agree that the lyrical concept was a weak point, but the musical ties on the album, and the variety given by the shorter songs making up part of a greater whole helped make that such a good album imo, and it's my #2 DT album.
So I'd say there's plenty of appeal to that approach, even if the lyrical concept is nothing special. Plus the change in approach may elevate the songwriting and give some better results.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2015, 02:36:02 AM »
8 + 5 = 13... OC2VARIUM

/s

Actually...now that you mention it, their 5th album was a narrative concept album while their 8th was a musically-based thematic concept (octaves, roots, rising keys along the F-minor scale, using negative-tracked sound for the non-key notes, etc. etc.). So maybe....JUST MAYBE... their 13th album will be a sort of concept album?!? Hmmmm....

-Marc.
While a concept album is of course possible, I can't imagine them doing something as intricate as Octavarium again without MP.

And dear GOD - you have to nail the production this time.
Fo shizzle. I'm always confident that the music will at least be solid, but the sound needs to be so much better.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2015, 04:35:57 AM »
I'm in the production boat. IAW, Awake and FII are the only DT albums where the production matches the musicianship.

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2015, 06:37:32 AM »
Great to hear that ! Let the DTF build up begin and hopefully one day a guy from RR will show up as a DTF member to calm us down  :biggrin:

Offline kevinpwrs

« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2015, 06:59:02 AM »
Sweet. I hope this one is super heavy. I'm still waiting for Train of Thought pt. 2.

This! Me too man. I never listen to ADTOE or DT12, so I really want something more on the heavy side. I wasn't interested at all in see the DT 12 tour, but a heavy new CD will chage that on the next tour.
"You know how you get to Carnegie Hall don't ya? Practice!"