Author Topic: The Kansas Discography Thread - THAT'S ALL, FOLKS (For Now)  (Read 45246 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
No love for Relentless??
Not from me.

this CD came out way after the others (like the later 90s, a while after I had gotten into Kansas big time)
???  Do you mean you got it way after the others?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
No, what I mean is Audio-Visions literally was not available on CD until the later 90s.  When I got into Kansas in the mid 90s, it simply had not been released yet.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
I have some love for "Relentless".

I think it has a cool sound to it...the opening riff is fun, then it goes into that little piano accompaniment to the opening vocals that swells into this epic 'tada'! It's right at the time that Walsh is singing, "Behind, us, now." I think that is an awesome moment!

I really enjoy the riff right after that too. Yeah, I think it's a good song. I'd just like Robbie to join somehow...

[edit] Oh, and I agree with you, the middle guitar solos are great! Both the Livgren opening and Williams closing. They really complement each other.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 08:19:08 AM by Podaar »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
No, what I mean is Audio-Visions literally was not available on CD until the later 90s.  When I got into Kansas in the mid 90s, it simply had not been released yet.

That comment threw me for a second, too, but then I remembered the 80's.  New albums were coming out on CD, but back catalogs were not all reissued at once.  The record companies started with the classics and big-sellers.  They had to sell a lot of CDs up front to pay for those new CD plants.  The "lesser" albums from veteran artists came to CD later, if at all.  Given that, I'm not surprised that Audio-Visions didn't get reissued on CD until later.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Oh, I see.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
It does seem bizarre that Monolith was available on CD long before Audio-Visions, considering Hold On was pretty popular, but I guess the record company figured they could sucker fans into buying the best of, since that was the only place you could get it on CD until the late 90s.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I have the same sentiments as most here on this album.  It's been a while that I listened to it.  I will crank it on the way to my dad's tomorrow
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Regular update tomorrow, but just wanted to let everyone know that the new Kansas documentary Miracles Out of Nowhere is available for pre-order here, or you can catch its world premiere on VH1 Classic and Palladia on March 20 at 9pm.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Very cool, Hef! I don't know about buying the blu-ray but I'm definitely in for watching it on VH1.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Very cool, Hef! I don't know about buying the blu-ray but I'm definitely in for watching it on VH1.
:tup

Now the countdown is on to see how much of my thread is completely refuted by the documentary!  :metal

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
VINYL CONFESSIONS (1982)

“How many times do I have to tell you that things just can't go on this way”

1.   Play The Game Tonight (Ehart, Flower, Frazier, Livgren, Williams)       3:27
2.   Right Away (D. Elefante, J. Elefante)               4:07
3.   Fair Exchange (Livgren)                     5:02
4.   Chasing Shadows (D. Elefante, J. Elefante)            3:22
5.   Diamonds and Pearls (Livgren)                  4:51
6.   Face It (D. Elfante, J. Elefante)                  4:18
7.   Windows (Livgren)                     3:32
8.   Borderline (Livgren)                     4:01
9.   Play On (J. Elefante, Livgren)                  3:34
10.   Crossfire (Livgren)                     6:35

The band had come to its first major crisis.  The recent conversion to born-again Christianity of Kerry Livgren and Dave Hope had brought about a new focus within the band, especially from a lyrical standpoint, that Steve Walsh could not abide.  Prior to work beginning on the next album, he made his departure from the band.  Kansas therefore had lost a keyboard player, a lead vocalist, and a songwriter.  Therefore, they not only had to search for a singer, but someone who could contribute to the music.

They searched through over 200 applicants (including Sammy Hagar and Doug Pinnick – and both of those conjure up visions of what could have been!), before narrowing it down to three choices:  Warren Hamm, Michael Gleason, and John Elefante.  They eventually chose Elefante, who played keyboards.  Elefante was also a born-again Christian, although the band apparently didn’t know it at the time.  His brother Dino collaborated on lyrics with John.

The album they produced thereafter was Vinyl Confessions, which definitely had a different feel from their previous albums, even aside from the lyrics, which are definitely coming from a Christian perspective.  There is much more “rock” and less “prog” on this album.  Musicianship definitely still shines through, but it is different.

The album’s first track, “Play The Game Tonight,” isn’t bad.  It has a nice hook, and a memorable lyrical melody.  It is a pleasant song, for sure, but doesn’t compare to the greats of prior albums.  It was released as the album’s first single, and hit # 4 on Billboard’s new Mainstream Rock chart and # 17 on the Pop Singles chart.  It was the band’s first “hit” in several years.

The next song, “Right Away,” is a fairly straightforward rocker, although nothing particularly special.  It was the album’s second single, making it to # 33 on Mainstream Rock but only # 73 on the Pop Singles chart.

“Fair Exchange” was a song that featured lyrics depicting life under the rule of the Anti-Christ, which is certainly uplifting material.  Don’t care for it, sorry. 

The album’s fourth track, “Chasing Shadows,” is a more mellow ballad, with nice vocal harmonies and a pleasant melody.  Lyrically, it was about the folly of attempting to find truth and meaning anywhere outside of the Bible.  This song was the album’s third and final single release, only making it to # 54 on the Mainstream Rock chart.  Altogether, this is one of the best the album has to offer.

Up next is “Diamonds and Pearls.”  This song is about the superiority of spiritual wealth to that of material wealth.  For me, this song has perhaps the most interesting musical passages on the album, but the vocal melodies, especially on the chorus, are really dull and boring.  Completely unsatisfying mixture for me.

“Face It” is another straightforward rock song (as are so many on this album).  Lyrically, this is an evangelical outreach song (like so many on this album).  And again, there is some interesting music on this song, but not in the chorus, which is uninspired.  The instrumental section almost saves this song, but not quite.

The next track, “Windows,” is another evangelical outreach song.  Again, uninspired delivery that comes across flat, with a more interesting instrumental section that can’t save the song.

Up next is “Borderline.”  Stop me if you’ve heard this before: it’s a straightforward song with an ordinary arrangement, featuring lyrics coming from an evangelical viewpoint, where the chorus is by far the worst part of the song.  This is getting discouraging.

“Play On” opens up with a drum fill and an almost prog-sounding intro, so hope is immediately raised, given the dreck we’ve had to slog through on this album.  However, it’s not much better.  The lyrics are somewhat better, with a somewhat different focus, but still not what we’re accustomed to.

At six and a half minutes, “Crossfire” is the album closing prog epic, right?  Well, not quite.  Another evangelically-driven song, even specifically mentioning “the One who rose,” the song definitely has an instrumental section that is pretty cool, and definitely the best part of the song (and one of the best on the album), featuring multiple movements and time signature changes, so this is really the biggest piece of prog on the album.  But ultimately, we have another chorus that is unsatisfying (to me, at any rate), which eventually devalues the entire song.

All in all, Vinyl Confessions is a huge disappointment.  While there are a couple of bright spots (Play The Game Tonight, Chasing Shadows, Crossfire), there isn’t much musically to separate this from any other straightforward rock band out there, and the lyrical basis is not really the kind of separation you want to see.  The album feels like the emphasis was on the lyrical content, and the music and melodies were largely afterthoughts.  This album is much different in tone and feel from the existing Kansas body of work.  I refer to this as the first album by KINO (Kansas In Name Only).

Although much of the existing fanbase was disappointed in the album, the lyrical content found the band a new audience in the growing Contemporary Christian Music market.  Christian media and magazines loved the band’s new emphasis, and CCM Magazine named Vinyl Confessions as their Album of the Year for 1982.  However, the album failed to make enough sales to reach Gold, which makes it a definite letdown. 

When violinist Robbie Steinhardt learned that some Christian fans of the band were printing up religious tracts featuring lyrics from Vinyl Confessions and distributing them before the band’s concerts, he became fed up with the band’s new direction and quit the band at the end of the tour, another deadly blow to the band.

Basically, I don’t like this album very much, and it doesn’t bear many repeat listens, other than the aforementioned bright spots.  Anyone have a different opinion?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I've actually never heard this album. And I have no urge to check it out.  Play the Game Tonight is a decent tune.  That's all I got. :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
It's been a long, long time since i listened to this.  Like you said, they had a more rock vibe.  I like John Elefante's voice.  Funny how powerful he and his brother Dino became in the Christian music world after Kansas.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
I've actually never heard this album.
My advice would be to keep it that way.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Prior to this week, I was only familiar with "Play the Game Tonight" which is decent but not a favorite. I slogged through it a couple of times this week in anticipation of this update but I found very little to like.

I like Elefante's voice but not his writing style...just a bit too soft rock for me. I thought the Livgren penned songs had potential but never quite grabbed me. Your description of "Diamonds and Pearls" is dead on. In fact, I find myself nodding at pretty much all of your write-up.

I don't think I'll ever listen to this album again.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
In 1982, "Play the Game Tonight" was on the radio a lot, so my band learned it and we played it in some of our early gigs.  Unlike most every song I've ever learned and played in a band, I really cannot remember this one.  I remember the chorus pretty much, but not the chords, even though I think the song was mostly piano and voice.  So that's how memorable that song is to me.

We knew that Kansas had a new singer, and to be honest, I didn't really like his voice, so I seem to be in the minority on that.  Something about it sounds too thin, too whiney or something.  Maybe because I was comparing him too much to Steve Walsh and not judging him on his own merits.  We were unaware of the politics and religion within the band, and even though I have the album on vinyl, I never really dug into the lyrics as I did in the old days, so I never realized.  I just knew that Kansas continued to get weaker and less prog, and this album continued the trend.  I meant to listen to it again this week, in preparation for the discussion, but I listened to Audio-Visions again instead, because that one's better than I'd remembered.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
No loss.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
The only song Ive heard from this album is Play the Game Tonight; great tune!

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
I can sum up the last two albums in one post: I liked Hold On and Play The Game Tonight, and that was it. I remember there was a certain sense of Kansas being back when Play The Game Tonight blew up, and Kansas on this tour was a near miss first concert for me. But really the band had moved away from being prog and more AOR/arena rock by them, and I haven't heard either album all the way through in years.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
DRASTIC MEASURES (1983)

“Lost the handle, what's it all been for? Tired of trying, seeing so much more”

1.   Fight Fire With Fire (D. Elefante, J. Elefante)         3:40
2.   Everybody’s My Friend (D. Elefante, J. Elefante)         4:09
3.   Mainstream (Livgren)                  6:36
4.   Andi (J. Elefante)                  4:15
5.   Going Through The Motions (D. Elefante, J. Elefante)      5:43
6.   Get Rich (D. Elefante, J. Elefante)            3:43
7.   Don’t Take Your Love Away (D. Elefante, J. Elefante)      3:44
8.   End of the Age (Livgren)                  4:33
9.   Incident on a Bridge (Livgren)               5:37

After the lukewarm response to Vinyl Confessions (except in Contemporary Christian Music circles), the dominoes falling that started with the departure of Steve Walsh, and eventually Robbie Steinhardt, continued.  Rather than find a replacement for Steinhardt, they went on without him as a five-piece, which meant that the band lost what was left of their distinctive sound: the third melodic instrument.

Regardless of the quality of the last album, some critics felt that it was too repetitive of the band’s earlier work (?).  John Elefante was determined not to let that happen again, so he decided to make an album that didn’t sound like previous Kansas albums, composing most of the music and writing most of the lyrics (along with brother Dino).  He succeeded by making a completely non-Kansas album.  At one point, no one else had sounded like Kansas; now, they would sound just like everyone else.  This was Kansas in name only.

However, as a stand-alone rock song, I must say that the album’s first track, “Fight Fire With Fire” isn’t that bad.  Easily the best song of this album, it was also released as the album’s first single.  It would reach # 3 on the Mainstream Rock chart, but only # 58 on the Pop Singles chart.  Interestingly enough, there was a video shot for this song, and it was one of the first music videos to be blown up to 35 mm and shown in movie theaters (it was a short that ran with Rumble Fish - if you don’t know that film, look it up).  At any rate, it has a driving rhythmic hook, and a chorus that is fun to sing along to.  Probably my favorite Elefante-era song (although I’m not sure that is saying much).

“Everybody’s My Friend” is a straightforward song with a chorus that attempts to be catchy, sounding almost Beatles-ish.  It doesn’t really work.  I mean, as a pop/rock song of this time period…it sounds like a lot of others that were out at that time.  The album’s second single, it only made it to # 34 on the Mainstream Rock chart.

“Mainstream” is one of the few musically interesting songs on the album.  The instrumental section has some cool things going on, but otherwise is a fairly straightforward typical rock song of that time period.  The lyrics reflect Livgren’s being upset at the band’s new musical output (as well as the music industry in general), since they no longer really sounded like Kansas, but rather not much different than the other popular rock bands of the time (such as Loverboy).

Up next is “Andi”, a keyboard-based ballad.  Musically, there isn’t much going on here; it’s very Adult Contemporary feeling.  Interestingly enough, the lyrics seem to indicate a story about a transgender person (at least that’s how they read to me).  Kansas is progressive once again, for a minute.

“Going Through the Motions” has some interesting things going on.  The vocal track is pretty good by Elefante, and really draws me in.  Definitely one of the few bright spots on the album.

“Get Rich” is an awful song.  The less said about it, the better.

“Don’t Take Your Love Away” is another rock-song-by-the numbers.  Nothing really sets this one apart.

“End of the Age” is the song with perhaps the most explicit Christian emphasis on lyrics.  It is a keyboard-driven medium-tempo rocker that takes itself much too seriously. 

The lyrics for the album’s last track, “Incident on a Bridge”, also show some Biblical roots, but nothing quite as upfront as anything on Vinyl Confessions.  Musically, this is one of the least bad songs on the album.  Overall, this is actually not that bad a song, but it definitely still falls short of what Kansas had been.

Most of the Christian content on the album as a whole was much less explicit than on the prior album – this confused their newfound Christian fans.  The music wasn’t really progressive, which disappointed their longtime fans.  This new music wasn’t anything different than what was already on the radio, and also wasn’t all that good, so there wasn’t much appeal to would-be new fans.  Also, the album cover is, well, bizarre.  This all resulted in Drastic Measures being the band’s lowest-charting album since their 1974 debut, only reaching # 75 on the Billboard 200 (although it did reach # 41 on the Pop Albums chart). 

The dissatisfaction with the creative direction of the band, combined the poor reception of the album, led to further dissolution of the band.  At the end of the album’s supporting tour, a New Year’s Eve 1983 show, Kerry Livgren and Dave Hope quit (they would form a specifically Christian band called A.D.).  The five-piece was down to three, and the end was nigh.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I remember seeing the video at least 3 times a day for "Fight Fire, With Fire".  I too thought the album was good but great like I knew Kansas.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
FFWF was a cool song.   Despite not doing a great deal of memorable stuff with Kansas , Elefante has one of the most pure singing voices I've heard and I wish he'd done more rock than he did.   When he's not being too preachy (and I'm in the mood for some softer stuff) I also enjoy plenty of his solo stuff and Mastedon work.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Jaq

If this had been an album by a band put together by John and Dino Elefante that just happened to manage to snag Kerry Livgren to write a few songs, this would have been one of the more revered AOR albums of the 80s.

Unfortunately, it's a Kansas album, which gives it a whole different set of expectations for an audience. Expectations it didn't meet. There's some great songs here-I rate Everybody's My Friend a little higher than most, Mainstream is great in a kind of ironic way (Livgren writing the longest, most complex song of the album and calling it Mainstream gives me the giggles to this day) and Going Through The Motions is just flat out brilliant, but...it isn't Kansas. It's kind of interesting though how this period of Kansas seemed to be conflicting ways of doing AOR, with the Walsh/Morse version giving it a go next. Also interesting to consider how few bands from the 70s prog heyday were interested in playing prog in the 80s.  There are times I wish Kansas had either just hung it up or gone on hiatus for a few years in the early 80s, but the latter is a bit of a rose colored glasses view of the world. Bands didn't go on hiatus back in the early 80s, and it wasn't until the mid to late 80s that you could survive cranking out albums only every three to five years. But if any band had needed to take some time off and come back, Kansas after 1980 was one of them.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Dang, I'm two albums behind now.  I do have both Vinyl Confessions and Drastic Measures, but haven't listened to either in a long time.  I know, they're not as great as the original five or six, but I really did mean to revisit them.  I consider that one of the points of a discography thread, an excuse to revisit each album and comment on them.  Been too damned busy.

I do remember the chorus to "Fight Fire with Fire" and how catchy it was (just as I only remember the chorus to "Play the Game Tonight" and not much else).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Fight Fire with Fire was the only Kansas song I knew for years, but even back then when it got played to death on MTV, while I liked it, there were tons of other songs I liked more.  And when I eventually got into Kansas, this song fell by the wayside; I literally never listen to it.  Like the previous album, I have never heard this one.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
If this had been an album by a band put together by John and Dino Elefante that just happened to manage to snag Kerry Livgren to write a few songs, this would have been one of the more revered AOR albums of the 80s.
If you say so.  I don't think it compares very favorably with other similar bands' output of that time.

Offline Jaq

Well, I do say so.

That's how opinions work. :biggrin:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Well, I do say so.

That's how opinions work. :biggrin:
:tup

Offline Counselor of Prog

Unfortunately, it's a Kansas album, which gives it a whole different set of expectations for an audience. Expectations it didn't meet. There's some great songs here-I rate Everybody's My Friend a little higher than most, Mainstream is great in a kind of ironic way (Livgren writing the longest, most complex song of the album and calling it Mainstream gives me the giggles to this day) and Going Through The Motions is just flat out brilliant, but...it isn't Kansas. It's kind of interesting though how this period of Kansas seemed to be conflicting ways of doing AOR, with the Walsh/Morse version giving it a go next. Also interesting to consider how few bands from the 70s prog heyday were interested in playing prog in the 80s.  There are times I wish Kansas had either just hung it up or gone on hiatus for a few years in the early 80s, but the latter is a bit of a rose colored glasses view of the world. Bands didn't go on hiatus back in the early 80s, and it wasn't until the mid to late 80s that you could survive cranking out albums only every three to five years. But if any band had needed to take some time off and come back, Kansas after 1980 was one of them.

Speaking of J & D, have you heard the late-eighties Mastedon albums, or John's Revolution of Mind? On the Way to the Son is also a good rocker IMO.  :metal
"The only closed systems in the universe are hardened hearts and darkened minds." Scott Becker, Valley of the Shadow

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Fight Fire w/ Fire is a great tune

Offline Counselor of Prog

:metal :rollin
"The only closed systems in the universe are hardened hearts and darkened minds." Scott Becker, Valley of the Shadow

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
This is leading up to a rebirth of a band that I had the pleasure of seeing live, meeting the band as we hung out at the venue to meet them. More to come when we talk about the next album.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
This is leading up to a rebirth of a band that I had the pleasure of seeing live, meeting the band as we hung out at the venue to meet them. More to come when we talk about the next album.
Looking forward to that.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
I listened to Vinyl Confessions over the weekend.  It was much better than I'd remembered.

There are at least a couple of ways to approach these later albums, or any given album.  One is within the context of studying the band's discography.  To me, that includes considering how each album compares to its predecessor, and the entire catalogue up to that point.  Also, examine how changes in personnel and/or the musical landscape at the time may or may not have affected the band's sound.  Another approach is to consider each album "in a vaccuum".  Don't compare it to what the band has done before, just listen to the album and judge it on its own merits.  If this was the first Kansas album you'd ever bought, or your first album ever, what would you think?  I try to consider both.

I spend 30 to 40 minutes, three times a week, doing cardiovascular exercise, so this is a perfect time to listen to albums.  I put on Vinyl Confessions, and was very surprised at how rocking it was.  It was good workout music.  Also, having listened to no Kansas all week, I was able to approach the album "cold" and just enjoy it for what it was.  Not a lot of prog, but that was not the goal.  It was a well-produced album by a talented group, playing pretty good rock and roll.  It kept me going.  And I was reminded of my first impression of the band, which came from "Carry On Wayward Son", another straight-on rocker.  These guys rock, but they clearly have some chops, and there's ample evidence that they're more than your standard garage rockers.  Even though the songs were all pretty basic, the use of syncopation alone was almost shocking.  Ehart and Hope are on fire here.  The arrangements are tight, and while they're not that impressive compared to some earlier Kansas, compared to the crap that was on the radio at the time, it was still a cut above.

I didn't listen to the lyrics much, but these days I usually don't on the first time through.  I had the earphones on, a TV screen in front of me with no sound (a basketball game was on, two teams I don't care about) and females in workout clothes walking past me for half an hour.  So no, I didn't pay much attention to the lyrics.  But the music was good, some steady rocking and rolling.  I thought of the old days, back in junior high and high school, when I'd put an album on and just let it play.  No, not every song was a hit single, but as long as it was a decent song and sounded alright, I'd let it play and be good with it.  This isn't a bad album; it just suffers from high expectations and not comparing favorably to earlier Kansas albums.  But on its own, it's pretty good.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
I listened to Drastic Measures yesterday for the first time. Not really my kind of music but it's not awful. It doesn't sound enough like Kansas for me to identify with it.