Author Topic: The Kansas Discography Thread - THAT'S ALL, FOLKS (For Now)  (Read 45224 times)

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
Re: The Kansas Discography Thread - 10th Studio Album POWER (1986) p. 8
« Reply #280 on: March 29, 2015, 07:29:23 PM »
Listened to Power once through today.  Not bad!  Steve Morse definitely brings a different sound but also a whole lot of energy.  There were a couple of times I thought I heard a little Dixie Dregs in there, but that's to be expected.  I don't think I've ever thought of the Dregs as an instrumental version of Kansas, but I can see how one could make the comparison.

Right out of the gate with some good, uptempo rocking.  That's the way to start an album; that's how you announce that Kansas is back.  The only thing missing would've been some tasty violin work, but hey, you can't have everything.  Too bad, because there's some great fiddling on the early Dregs' albums.  If only Morse could've Allen Sloan along...

As I mentioned, I wasn't aware of the history behind this album (or really of the band at all) at the time.  I'd heard that Steve Walsh was back.  That makes it sound like Kansas as an entity still existed and Steve literally came back to it after an unsuccessful solo career.  What really happened was that he put a new band together and called it Kansas.  The fact that it had a few Kansas alumni in it certainly helped, but let's face it; this is a new band.  Not "Kansas in name only" -- it definitely has a legitimate claim to the name and certainly sounds like "new Kansas".

I'd also heard that while Steve Walsh was back, Kerry Livgren had left, but Rich Williams is still in.  Confusion.  For some reason I'd always thought that Rich was basically the lead guitarist and Kerry was mostly rhythm.  Since Kerry played both keyboards and guitar with Kansas, I guess in my mind he was "mostly keyboards and some guitar" although there was really no reason to think that.  Since Steve Morse's style and sound is so familiar to me, I can hear him all over this album.  So was Rich mostly the rhythm guitarist?  Or were the duties more evenly divided?  Why bring in another guitarist when you still have Rich, an original member?  Because Steve Walsh only plays keys and they felt that Kansas needed two guitars?  Or maybe because Steve Morse... well, he's Steve Morse, and could add so much to the band.  According to Wiki, Morse joined at Phil Ehart's invitation.  So it seems there are different versions of the story.

Anyway, I only gave it one spin so far, but it sounds good.  A step up from the previous two for sure.  Unlike many here, apparently, I never really liked Elephante's voice, so it's great to hear Steve Walsh back.

Well, I think the two bands sound alike because they have a lot of the same instrumentation. Of course they both used the violin in a lot of their music. They both have that "progressive" sound. I think they both have a lot of the same influences, such as from classical music, as well as rock.

I used to have the Kansas concert video from the Vinyl Confessions tour (it can be seen on YouTube, by the way), and while there were some songs where Livgren would only or mostly play keyboards and Williams would play the guitar solos, there were other songs where they would BOTH play guitar, but Livgren appeared to take the lead/solo spots.

Also, If you like the guest musician in that video, Warren Hamm, and if you like Christian music, specifically Livgens AD band, I recommend Prime Mover, on which Hamm did all of the vocals, and he and Livgren played all of the instruments.  That's the album that has the "Jesus remake" of "Portrait" on it. Also, right after that, Kerry put out an all-instrumental album called "One of Several Possible Musiks," on which he played ALL of the instruments
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 07:47:19 PM by chaossystem »
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #281 on: March 30, 2015, 10:34:54 AM »
I heard that Steve Morse approached the band, or specifically Phil Ehart, and asked to join.

I also understand that he took a lot of criticism for it, because Kansas supposedly wasn't a good enough band musicianship-wise for him to be in.
Not sure where you heard any of that.  Morse was invited by Walsh to join.  And Kansas was noted for their musicianship.  Like them or not, those guys could PLAY, and always had that reputation.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline SjundeInseglet

« Reply #282 on: March 30, 2015, 01:42:39 PM »
Well, Steve has mentioned several times that he was approached by Ehart to join Kansas. Ehart himself has confirmed it too. Here's an excerpt from an interview where he mentions it:

"There's not enough paper to talk about Steve. He's such an extraordinary talent, and that's an understatement. To have him on board was a lot of fun. He's a good guy. We had known him long before. He lived in Atlanta and was part of the Dixie Dregs. They opened for us many times. It was just a fluke. I ran into him at a Robert Plant concert and he said, "I hear you guys are looking for a guitarist," and I said, "Yeah, why don't you come by and see how things sound." So he did and we made a couple of albums together. He really brings a special sound and attitude to anything he plays on. It was really an honor to have him." (Taken from: https://vintagerock.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=399)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #283 on: March 30, 2015, 02:19:33 PM »
It appears that there was combination of things.  Ehart definitely talked to Morse, and Walsh also definitely knew Morse from before.  Guess I missed that.

At any rate, Morse joined Kansas.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #284 on: March 30, 2015, 02:44:01 PM »
I love Power to bits, one of my favorite albums of the 80s period. I remember, though, an interview with Steve Morse in one of the guitar mags that was taking him to task for how simplistic the music was and how it was kind of beneath him and he just shredded the guy pointing out how complex some of his parts were. Especially on We're Not Alone Anymore, which has a lot going on under the hood for such a simple seeming rocker. That happened a lot with this album. Me and my best friend used to air guitar to this album's rockier songs a lot back in the day. Great, great album.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #285 on: March 30, 2015, 04:56:47 PM »
Don't we all have that best friend who will air guitar or drum in public with you! :lol

Another little story about meeting the guys.  Steve Walsh is so short man!  I never knew that until I shook his hand.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #286 on: March 30, 2015, 08:01:17 PM »
I remember, though, an interview with Steve Morse in one of the guitar mags that was taking him to task for how simplistic the music was and how it was kind of beneath him and he just shredded the guy pointing out how complex some of his parts were.

That's probably the same interview that I was talking about. I think it was in Guitar Player.

The "journalist" who interviewed Mr. Morse was a condescending jackwad!

But he turned it around by explaining that he was also playing keyboards and violin, and doing some backing vocals.

But I don't think he should have had to justify himself or his decision to join one of the greatest bands ever to this dink of an interviewer.

What great contribution did HE ever give to the world of music?
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #287 on: March 30, 2015, 08:19:48 PM »
It appears that there was combination of things.  Ehart definitely talked to Morse, and Walsh also definitely knew Morse from before.  Guess I missed that.

It may have been that Steve Morse was asked to join prior to this time, but what I remember reading (it was in "some magazine," sorry I can't be more specific.) was that he approached Phil Ehart, probably at the Robert Plant concert, and said "I hear you're looking for a guitarist-what are the chances?"

I'm not arguing, mostly because I have no way of knowing if that was the first time it came up.

That's just what I remember reading about it.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #288 on: March 31, 2015, 06:39:09 AM »
That's what it says on Wikipedia (so it must be true!)   ;)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #289 on: March 31, 2015, 07:48:50 AM »

It may have been that Steve Morse was asked to join prior to this time, but what I remember reading (it was in "some magazine," sorry I can't be more specific.) was that he approached Phil Ehart, probably at the Robert Plant concert, and said "I hear you're looking for a guitarist-what are the chances?"

I'm not arguing, mostly because I have no way of knowing if that was the first time it came up.

That's just what I remember reading about it.
I would imagine that the person who he heard from that they were looking for a guitarist was Steve Walsh, because Walsh is who basically put the band together.

But that's just speculation.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #290 on: March 31, 2015, 12:25:46 PM »
I listened to Power today and enjoyed it. While I'm not inclined to purchase it, I can definitely imagine I might occasionally queue it up on Spotify in the future.

:tup
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #291 on: April 03, 2015, 01:29:28 PM »
HUGE Kansas fan! Power is a great record. Saw the tour. Also a big Steve Morse fan. The thing about Steve not thinking the musicianship may not be good enough maybe one of the silliest things I have heard. Kansas are AMAZING musicians and I'm sure Steve knew it.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #292 on: April 04, 2015, 04:59:46 AM »
IN THE SPIRIT OF THINGS (1988)

“We all gotta come to the light together”

1.   Ghosts (Bob Ezrin, Steve Morse, Steve Walsh)               4:18
2.   One Big Sky (Phil Ehart, M. Ehmig, Ezrin, H. Kleinfeld, Walsh)         5:17
3.   Inside of Me (Morse, Walsh)                     4:42
4.   One Man, One Heart (Dann Huff, Mark Spiro)               4:20
5.   House on Fire (Ehart, Ezrin, Morse, Walsh)               4:42
6.   Once in a Lifetime (Antonina Armato, Albert Hammond, Dennis Morgan)      4:14
7.   Stand Beside Me (Bruce Gaitsch, Marc Jordan)               3:28
8.   I Counted on Love (Morse, Walsh)                  3:33
9.   The Preacher (Morse, Walsh)                     4:18
10.   Rainmaker (Ezrin, Morse, Walsh)                  6:44
11.   T.O. Witcher (Morse)                        1:39
12.   Bells of Saint James (Morse, Walsh)                  5:39

After the meager success of Power showed that there was still gas left in the tank, the band wanted to harness that for the next release and really tried for more commercial success.  To that end, they hired megaproducer Bob Ezrin and even brought in some outside songwriters to help them craft some hits.  The result was In The Spirit of Things, which is a kind-of-but-not-really loosely organized concept album about a flood occurring in Neosho Falls, Kansas in 1951.  Let’s just say that the results of the endeavor were uneven.

We start with “Ghosts,” on which Ezrin gets a writing credit.  It’s the scene setter in many ways.  A ballad, mellow, pleasant, but not much really to talk about.

Things crank up a little with “One Big Sky.”  This is a typical mid-to-late 80s AOR rocker.  It is pleasant, and I really like the vocal melodies on the chorus, and there is some good guitar work by Morse.  However, the song suffers a little with the production.  There is a background track of percussion (again, typical 80s) that makes it hard to distinguish what is actually Phil Ehart playing at points of the song (maybe it's just me).  But still, not bad.

Next is “Inside of Me.”  Not much to recommend here.  I wish I could blame this one on the outside writers, but this is a product of Walsh and Morse, so no escape there. 

“One Man, One Heart” is an attempt at a hit, written by 80s hitmakers Dann Huff and Mark Spiro.  It is catchy, I suppose, but is fairly generic-sounding, especially for that period.  It doesn’t sound like Kansas.

Next is “House on Fire” which opens with some tasty Morse guitar flash, engendering hopes for a good song.  What we get is a standard 80s rocker, with disappointing lyrics.  In fact, the bridge contains perhaps the worst, most frightening lyric in the Kansas corpus: “Fisted love fueling fantasy/Is love worth the fire he's asking for” *shudders*

“Once In A Lifetime” is a ballad that sounds pretty much nothing like anything that Kansas would ever write.  Well, that’s because it was written by a trio of pop songwriting talents, Antonina Armato, Albert Hammond, and Dennis Morgan.  To their credit, it’s an OK song, I guess, but it is definitely an attempt at a hit, and probably could have been one for Michael Bolton or Richard Marx, for whom it would have been better suited.  For Kansas, not a highlight.

Next is “Stand Beside Me.”  See my comments for “Once In A Lifetime.”

“I Counted On Love” demonstrates that Walsh and Morse were paying attention to the lessons taught by the outside songwriters with whom they were working.

With “The Preacher” we finally get a really cool Kansas song on this album.  This is a really fun song with a good energy about it.  It’s not a full-on prog song, a la older Kansas, but it has several proggish flairs throughout.  Absolutely a standout for this album.

“Rainmaker” is a song that is frontloaded with story, lyrics that fit within the context of the concept album but are otherwise not all that great.  The story is that a guy is posing as a rainmaker, and then does a little too good of a job.  Interesting concept.  Then, a cool instrumental section is featured, followed by a reprise of the chorus by a choir singing along with the band. 

“T.O. Witcher” is a nice little acoustic guitar instrumental by Morse.  Tasty, but not overlong.  A good palette cleanser.

The album’s closer is “Bells of Saint James”, which also turns out to be one of the highlights of the album for me.  Lyrically it is about a soldier on the front lines in the Korean conflict talking about letters he receives from his wife back in Kansas, and how the tone of the letters eventually changed for the worse (presumably reflecting the flood back home).  Very touching, and different for Kansas, in a good way.  The chorus is fantastic, featuring a great vocal melody for Walsh.  A wonderful end to an uneven album.

All in all, the album was not a commercial success for the band.  It only reached # 114 on the Billboard album chart, and only one single, “Stand Beside Me,” was released.  It only made it to # 13 on the Mainstream Rock Chart, in spite of a video that received airplay on MTV.  In The Spirit of Things was the first Kansas album to feature no hit single since Masque in 1975.  While there are certainly a few highlights (The Preacher, Bells of Saint James), most of the album sounds like generic 80s movie soundtrack fodder (you older members may get that reference).  The album did not receive much promotion from MCA, as they decided to focus more on up and coming acts rather than older acts like Kansas.  This would be the band’s final album for a major label, and its final album to be released on vinyl.

The subsequent tour featured a live broadcast on the King Biscuit Flower Hour from their stop in Philadelphia on February 14, 1989.  This would eventually be released as a live album, but I will cover it in its order of release.

Steve Morse left the band at the end of the tour.

Overall, I actually like this album, but it is a step down from Power.  It’s a shame that this lineup of the band would have its final product be something this uneven.

Offline Counselor of Prog

« Reply #293 on: April 04, 2015, 07:06:57 AM »

Also, If you like the guest musician in that video, Warren Hamm, and if you like Christian music, specifically Livgens AD band, I recommend Prime Mover, on which Hamm did all of the vocals, and he and Livgren played all of the instruments.  That's the album that has the "Jesus remake" of "Portrait" on it. Also, right after that, Kerry put out an all-instrumental album called "One of Several Possible Musiks," on which he played ALL of the instruments

I also recommend "When Things Get Electric," "Seeds of Change," and "Time Line."  And "Portrait II" does rule.  :metal
"The only closed systems in the universe are hardened hearts and darkened minds." Scott Becker, Valley of the Shadow

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Most people here know that I'm not a big fan of the 80's, and stuff like this is one of the reasons.  In the old days, the suits had all the power; artists were just "product" for them, never to be confused with the actual talent.  They considered themselves the talent.  By the late 60's and into the 70's, this changed, and it was actually possible for bands to make music that was both interesting and reflected their vision.  But by the 80's, things had somehow turned around again, and it was all about scoring the next big hit.

I could see bands just starting out being willing to compromise to score the break, letting the suits call the shots.  Bring in outside writers, producers more loyal to the label than to the band, etc.  But when a veteran act like Kansas reaches that point, it just seems like desperation.  They no longer have enough game to sell albums, because they don't score hit singles, and that's all the labels care about.  My other favorite geographically-named band (Chicago) did the same thing in the 80's.  Let the suits bring in outside writers, resulting in music that apparently some people somewhere actually liked, but not me or any other longtime fans of the band.  And apparently not even the band itself, because they never play these songs live.

Here, it's even worse because these songs weren't even hits.  They were just crappy 80's songs on an album by a great 70's band trying to remain relevant (and failing, for the most part).  It's sad.

I haven't listened to this one in at least 10 years.  I have it, but honestly do not remember it at all, so I probably shouldn't comment until I've re-listened.  But I had to react to the writeup while it was still fresh in my mind.

"Fisted love fueling fantasy/Is love worth the fire he's asking for" -- Sounds like she has a tough decision to make.  Hope she's got some good lube.  Is love worth it?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Not that good of an album, but I do like Rainmaker quite a bit, and One Big Sky and Bells of Saint James are both good tunes.  Not much else to say.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
Haven't been around in some time, glad I came back to see this thread! I will try to keep up with it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I felt that bob Ezrin did the same thing to Kiss with "The Elder"  They are both very good albums but made at the wrong time of their careers.  Power had some momentum this set them back.  There was strife again in the band because of the direction and it was just the wrong album at the wrong time.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 10:32:16 AM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
I agree with all of that.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
The band was now in an interesting spot.  They had been somewhat revitalized by the reformation of the band with guitarist Steve Morse, and had another hit with "All I Wanted", then followed it up with a mixed bag with In The Spirit of Things.  Morse left the band at the end of the tour in 1989, which left the group in a bit of a pickle.

Then, in 1990, a promoter from Germany organized a tour of Europe for the band, for which he was able to get all of the original members (except Robby Steinhardt) to come back.  New bassist Billy Greer stayed with the group for this tour, as did keyboardist Greg Roberts, who had toured with the band since 1986.  At the end of that tour, Dave Hope again left the band, but Kerry Livgren decided to stay for a while.

In 1991, the band hired violinist David Ragsdale.  This was huge, because it enabled the band to return to what originally made their sound different from other bands: three melodic instruments (guitar, keyboard, violin).  This meant, from an immediate standpoint, that they could go back to the original arrangements of their older, classic songs during live performances, rather than the adapted arrangements they had gone to in their years without a violinist. 

Livgren left the band again during the 1991 tour, and was replaced for the duration of that tour by Steve Morse again.  Morse left for good at the end of the tour to join Deep Purple.  This left Rich Williams as the only guitar player, and live arrangements were changed somewhat for Ragsdale to take some of the guitar parts on violin.  This lineup of the band would be constant for the next several years.

During the 1992 tour the band recorded what would be their next release:

LIVE AT THE WHISKY (1992)

1.   Introduction                  1:04
2.   Howlin’ At The Moon, from Magnum Opus      1:31
3.   Paradox                  4:11
4.   Point of Know Return               4:44
5.   Song For America               8:57
6.   The Wall                  6:07
7.   Hold On                  4:18
8.   Dust in the Wind               3:52
9.   Miracles Out of Nowhere            6:30
10.   Mysteries and Mayhem               4:54
11.   Portrait (He Knew)               5:45
12.   Carry On Wayward Son               6:51
13.   Down The Road                  5:51
14.   Lonely Street (bonus track)            6:28

This performance was recorded on April 5, 1992 at the Whisky A-Go-Go in Los Angeles, California (except for Lonely Street, which was from a performance recorded in 1975 in Cleveland).  It was recorded “in one take,” according to the liner notes.  Even though he was not a full-time member of the band anymore, Kerry Livgren sat in on three songs (Dust in the Wind, Carry On Wayward Son, and Lonely Street).  I’ve got to tell you, the setlist is pretty great, and musically, the performance is mostly really good.  The only drawback is the vocal by Walsh.  It is not fantastic.  Apparently he was very fatigued, and also dealing with substance abuse issues.  Having said that, the less-than-perfect vocal doesn’t bother me all that much.  It is a really “live” performance, and overall it is pretty great, IMO. 

Issued on Intersound Records, this was the first Kansas release not on a major label.  It was also the first not to reach the album chart.  Which is a shame.

A German release got a different bonus track: Journey From Mariabronn.  Never been jealous of the Germans before, but I am now.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Kansas Discography Thread - LIVE AT THE WHISKY (1992) p. 9
« Reply #300 on: April 11, 2015, 08:02:49 AM »
Believe it or not, this is the one album I do not own.  I have heard it and maybe it's first impression was the reason I never got it.  I'm not sure now that time has passed by.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: The Kansas Discography Thread - LIVE AT THE WHISKY (1992) p. 9
« Reply #301 on: April 15, 2015, 06:27:47 AM »
CARRY ON (1992)

1.   Carry On Wayward Son
2.   What’s on my Mind
3.   The Wall
4.   Dust in the Wind
5.   Can I Tell You
6.   People of the South Wind
7.   It Takes a Woman’s Love (To Make a Man)
8.   Child of Innocence
9.   Two Cents Worth
10.   On The Other Side

Also released in 1992 was the band’s second compilation album, Carry On.  It’s basically another take on a Greatest Hits-type package.  The collection was actually released earlier in 1992, before Live at the Whisky, but that release went better with my story, so I went with that first.  Also, this is just another collection.  It’s OK for what it is, I guess, but it leaves out some that I would certainly have included, and includes some that I just as certainly would have left out.  Probably for collectors or completists only.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Kansas Discography Thread - CARRY ON (1992) p. 9
« Reply #302 on: April 15, 2015, 06:37:28 AM »
Never had a need to get this.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #303 on: April 15, 2015, 06:46:27 AM »
Neither did anyone else.

Just trying to do as complete of a discography as I can.

Whenever there are other "nonessential" releases like this one, I will do an extra mid-week post like this.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #304 on: April 15, 2015, 07:25:53 AM »
I always find it amusing when the suits release a greatest hits thing featuring the original or classic lineup, years after that lineup has disappeared.  I'm not gonna bother with the math, but looking at the track list, every song on here was at least 10 years old at the time, more like 15.  This was purely to have "new" product out there with the Kansas name on it.  In that way, it may have slightly helped sales of "Live at the Whisky" but who knows?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #305 on: April 15, 2015, 08:10:24 AM »
Neither did anyone else.

Just trying to do as complete of a discography as I can.

Whenever there are other "nonessential" releases like this one, I will do an extra mid-week post like this.

I figured.  I really like the next studio album.  I may listen to it now.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #306 on: April 18, 2015, 04:40:54 AM »
THE KANSAS BOXED SET (1994)

Disc One:

1.   Can I Tell You (Demo, 1973)            4:20
2.   Death of Mother Nature Suite (Live)         9:00
3.   Journey From Mariabronn            7:57
4.   Song For America               10:02
5.   The Devil Game                  5:04
6.   Incomudro – Hymn to the Atman (Live)         16:08
7.   Child of Innocence               4:33
8.   Icarus – Borne on Wings of Steel         6:04
9.   Mysteries and Mayhem               4:20
10.   The Pinnacle                  9:36

Disc Two:

1.   Carry On Wayward Son               5:22
2.   The Wall                  4:47
3.   What’s On My Mind               3:27
4.   Opus Insert                  4:25
5.   Magnum Opus                  8:25
6.   Point of Know Return               3:12
7.   Portrait (He Knew)               4:34
8.   Dust in the Wind               3:29
9.   Closet Chronicles               6:31
10.   People of the South Wind            3:39
11.   On the Other Side (Live)               6:43
12.   A Glimpse of Home               6:36
13.   Relentless                  4:57
14.   Loner                     2:30
15.   Hold On                  3:53
16.   Wheels                     4:32

This was the band’s first really successful career overview.  The collection only covers their output from the original lineup, from Kansas through Audio-Visions.  It emphasizes the progressive rock stylings that originally made the band successful in the first place.  It also featured supervisory input from all of the band members, which wasn’t the case on The Best of Kansas (Elefante) or Carry On (label).

The music included is mostly fantastic (as you can see), especially Disc One.  Disc Two also features a new song by the then-current lineup of the band (including Dave Ragsdale on violin), “Wheels,” which was the first new Kansas material in six years.  Also, the included book is extremely informative, and to be honest it provided the backbone of my writing this thread.  Filled with interviews and observations, I cannot recommend it highly enough.

This collection is the reason that Kansas is so important to me.  When this came out, I was not really much of a Kansas fan.  I knew the radio hits, and I had The Best of Kansas on cassette, but I didn’t know any of their deeper cuts, or their really progressive stuff.  I had only gotten into Dream Theater in 1992 with Images & Words, so I was still learning about how interesting and varied rock music could be.  I bought this on a whim, and it served to further open my mind to progressive rock, and became (along with Dream Theater) the foundation of all future musical discovery and love.  If I could only pick five albums to have for the rest of my life, this would probably be one of them.  Truth.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Kansas Discography Thread - THE KANSAS BOXED SET (1992) p. 9
« Reply #307 on: April 18, 2015, 05:41:37 AM »
I bought this damn thing for the song "Wheels".  :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #308 on: April 18, 2015, 06:13:42 AM »
I bought this damn thing for the song "Wheels".  :lol
Well, OK.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #309 on: April 18, 2015, 06:59:00 AM »
I did but I played the he'll out of this box set because at the time, I only had the old Kansas on albums.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #310 on: April 18, 2015, 07:29:29 AM »
Damn it, I was hoping we'd finally get to Freaks of Nature, yet another damn live or compilation album gets in its way. :censored :facepalm:

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #311 on: April 18, 2015, 09:32:55 AM »
This collection is the reason that Kansas is so important to me.  When this came out, I was not really much of a Kansas fan.  I knew the radio hits, and I had The Best of Kansas on cassette, but I didn’t know any of their deeper cuts, or their really progressive stuff.  I had only gotten into Dream Theater in 1992 with Images & Words, so I was still learning about how interesting and varied rock music could be.  I bought this on a whim, and it served to further open my mind to progressive rock, and became (along with Dream Theater) the foundation of all future musical discovery and love.  If I could only pick five albums to have for the rest of my life, this would probably be one of them.  Truth.

I love stories like this.  Stories of musical awakening, when you first realize that there's more out there than what you hear on the radio, or the stuff your friends and/or siblings have introduced you to.  It's more special when you discover it yourself; it becomes personal to you.  No one told you about this music.  You did this on your own, and no one can ever take that away from you.

The collection itself looks fine to me, and although there are a few rarities on it, and the book, I probably will never get it.  But thanks for the review.

Also, kudos for BOXED set, which to me is the correct term, not box set.  The set is boxed.  It is not box.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #312 on: April 19, 2015, 05:13:20 AM »
Damn it, I was hoping we'd finally get to Freaks of Nature, yet another damn live or compilation album gets in its way. :censored :facepalm:
Patience.

I love stories like this.  Stories of musical awakening, when you first realize that there's more out there than what you hear on the radio, or the stuff your friends and/or siblings have introduced you to.  It's more special when you discover it yourself; it becomes personal to you.  No one told you about this music.  You did this on your own, and no one can ever take that away from you.

The collection itself looks fine to me, and although there are a few rarities on it, and the book, I probably will never get it.  But thanks for the review.

Also, kudos for BOXED set, which to me is the correct term, not box set.  The set is boxed.  It is not box.
:tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #313 on: April 19, 2015, 07:49:05 AM »
Meh, considering the last three albums featured have been live or compilation albums, I think I've been plenty patient. :biggrin:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #314 on: April 19, 2015, 11:05:18 AM »
Meh, considering the last three albums featured have been live or compilation albums, I think I've been plenty patient. :biggrin:
I'm trying to be thorough.  It's not my fault that they (or their label) released so many non-new material projects.