Author Topic: The Kansas Discography Thread - THAT'S ALL, FOLKS (For Now)  (Read 45226 times)

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
I gave Drastic Measures a couple of spins as well over the past few days as well.  The sound is similar to Vinyl Confessions but the songs aren't as strong.  There are a couple moments that stand out a bit, I thought, but overall it's easily the weakest Kansas album so far.

While I thought Vinyl Confessions was still a cut above your standard early 80's radio fodder, I'm not so sure about Drastic Measures.  And it's clearly getting away from the original Kansas sound more and more, especially with the loss of Robbie Steinhardt.  As with the previous album, however, I did find that the rockers here had more or less the same "feel" as the straight-up rockers from the earlier albums which, oddly enough, I always associated with Robbie.  Once again, Hope and Ehart keep things moving and keep things rocking.

I did find it funny that Kerry Livgren wrote a song called "Mainstream" that's about fighting with the suits to try to be different, and just to make a point, it includes a WTF breakdown that briefly reminded me of the WTF breakdown in "How My Soul Cries Out For You".  And a couple of Elefante tunes, "Going Through the Motions" and "Get Rich" (back to back, even) which may or may not be saying something about the album itself, and what they're trying to do here, also gave me a chuckle.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
I gave Drastic Measures a couple of spins as well over the past few days as well.  The sound is similar to Vinyl Confessions but the songs aren't as strong.  There are a couple moments that stand out a bit, I thought, but overall it's easily the weakest Kansas album so far.
FWIW, I think it is the weakest of the bunch, and I doubt I will ever listen to it again.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I barely listen to it myself.  Quick questing Hef, are you doing the Greatest Hits album or just mentioning it?  I was thinking of the song Perfect Lover.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
I remember seeing the video at least 3 times a day for "Fight Fire, With Fire".  I too thought the album was good but great like I knew Kansas.

Did you mean to say "NOT great like I knew Kansas?"
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
I barely listen to it myself.  Quick questing Hef, are you doing the Greatest Hits album or just mentioning it?  I was thinking of the song Perfect Lover.
For most greatest hits/compilations, I will do shorter writeups, but yes, my next full writeup is Best of, featuring that song.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I remember seeing the video at least 3 times a day for "Fight Fire, With Fire".  I too thought the album was good but great like I knew Kansas.

Did you mean to say "NOT great like I knew Kansas?"

Oops!  Yes, that's what I meant.

For most greatest hits/compilations, I will do shorter writeups, but yes, my next full writeup is Best of, featuring that song.

Cool beans.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
The wife and I watched 2/3 of the Rock Doc and man I'm loving it.  The one thing out of it that pisses me of is Don Kirshner (sp?) with the writing credits.  I know he put the money down to make this band but can you imagine your the writer and this guy gets the power over your songs?!  I hated that about he music business.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
The wife and I watched 2/3 of the Rock Doc and man I'm loving it.  The one thing out of it that pisses me of is Don Kirshner (sp?) with the writing credits.  I know he put the money down to make this band but can you imagine your the writer and this guy gets the power over your songs?!  I hated that about he music business.
Yep, but apparently pretty standard at the time, and may still be for all I know.

I saw it last night and thought it was fantastic.  And hey, Kerry, trim that facial hair dude.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
THE BEST OF KANSAS (1984)

“It's in your head, they're telling you it's in your head,
It's a figment of your imagination.”

1.   Carry On Wayward Song
2.   Point of Know Return
3.   Fight Fire With Fire
4.   Dust In The Wind
5.   Song For America
6.   Perfect Lover (J. Elefante)      4:19
7.   Hold On
8.   No One Together
9.   Play The Game Tonight
10.   The Wall

OK, so the band was in a shambles, with only three members left (singer/keyboardist John Elefante, guitarist Rich Williams, and drummer Phil Ehart), the band’s reputation is going down the tubes, and there is little desire in the marketplace for any more Kansas.  Perfect time for a greatest hits package!

I’m not sure who actually put this list of songs together for the purposes of calling it the “Best” of Kansas; must have been either Elefante or an executive somewhere.  At any rate, if you are looking for the best of Kansas, this ain’t it; there are better collections of their music (we’ll get there), or just get the individual albums.

Having said that, this was their first greatest hits package, and still riding the coattails of their megahits “Carry On Wayward Son” and “Dust in the Wind”, it was a huge seller, eventually being certified quadruple platinum.

Elefante managed to finagle one more of his compositions onto the album, a little ditty called “Perfect Lover.”  It was performed by the three remaining members of the band, and doesn’t really deserve to be there.  That would be rectified later (we’ll get there).

As a special note, the versions of “Carry On Wayward Son” and “The Wall” used were remixes done especially for this collection.  Why, I don’t know; there was certainly no need for such. 

By far the most interesting thing about the release was the album cover itself.  It incorporates elements from the earlier album covers, including, but not necessarily limited to:
1.   Abolitionist John Brown, originally featured on the artwork for the debut album (no tracks from this album are included here)
2.   The sheet music and inkwell from Leftoverture are on the back cover
3.   The ship tipping over is from the cover to Point of Know Return

This was the death knell of the group.  Following this release, the group disbanded.  John Elefante went on to a career as a performer and producer (along with brother Dino) in the Contemporary Christian market, which is probably a good place for him.  And that was it.

For a while, anyway.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Kansas Discography Thread - THE BEST OF KANSAS (1984) p. 8
« Reply #254 on: March 21, 2015, 04:47:16 AM »
I have 2 versions of this Greatest Hits.  The second one is a remaster with 4 songs added.  At the time I was wondering what would happen to Kansas.  I never saw them live, being 16 at the time and just starting to go to concerts.  I did play the hell out of this album though.

Offline Counselor of Prog

« Reply #255 on: March 21, 2015, 04:53:11 AM »
I prefer the second version much more.  The Devil Game rocks!
"The only closed systems in the universe are hardened hearts and darkened minds." Scott Becker, Valley of the Shadow

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #256 on: March 21, 2015, 04:55:45 AM »
Yes, the second version is better.  We'll get there.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #257 on: March 21, 2015, 04:57:47 AM »
Oh Snap!  I did not know you were going there.  Cool.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #258 on: March 21, 2015, 05:05:16 AM »
Oh Snap!  I did not know you were going there. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #259 on: March 21, 2015, 05:06:54 AM »
 :lol

Your computer must be slow with all your gifs you have.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #260 on: March 21, 2015, 05:15:09 AM »
Nah

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #261 on: March 21, 2015, 07:49:15 AM »
Other than the new song by Elefante, I don't see a problem with the track listing.  I always refer to these compilations as "greatest hits things" but they usually either go by "Greatest Hits" or "Best Of" and they went with "Best Of" this time.  Maybe because not all of the songs were actual hits.  All the Top 40 hits are here, and the album is filled out by a couple of other good songs.  I have no problem with "Song for America" or "The Wall".  They're both great songs.  "No One Together" is from the later years, but I seem to recall it being one of the better ones.

These compilations usually have a couple of different purposes, which pull in different directions.  If they're meant to assemble all the hits so people who've heard at least a few Kansas songs on the radio and liked them and want one album that has all of them, this is it.  If there aren't enough "hits" to fill out an album, add a few songs that actually got airplay or just pick a few fan favorites.  That's what we have here.

If you truly make a distinction between naming the package "Best Of" versus "Greatest Hits" then no, this is not literally the best of Kansas.  But no two people will ever agree on which songs are their best.  With a band that had been around as long as they had by this point, dabbling in prog, folk, pop, rock, and blues, there's no one track listing that will satisfy everyone.  That's why I gave up on distinguishing between "Best Of" and "Greatest Hits".  A collection of album tracks that truly represent their best work would be awesome, and a great way to introduce someone to the band, but the market for it doesn't exist.  In fact, the presence of the aforementioned "Song for America", and "No One Together" might even serve that purpose.  Some longer tracks to maybe show the average listener that this band had some real game, in case that wasn't apparent from the Top 40 stuff.

I do think it's lame when a compilation like this has one or more new songs on it.  There's no way it's a "greatest hit", not yet anyway, and it's presumptuous to consider it one of their "best" since no one's actually heard it yet.  But I've conceded that this is just something that the labels do.  A necessary evil.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #262 on: March 21, 2015, 07:56:42 AM »
This was the first Kansas CD I ever owned, and I enjoy the hell out of it for years before diving deeper into their catalogue (which I went over earlier in the thread). 

Having said that, I had forgotten about the song Perfect Lover, and listening to it now on YT, it's okay.  Not something I'd ever seek out on its own, so I doubt I'll look for the mp3 of it to have in my collection.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #263 on: March 21, 2015, 09:49:38 AM »
I knew a hell of a lot of people who had this album as the only album by Kansas they owned, so as a compilation it did it's job perfectly for them. A possible entry point to a band, and, failing that, your one stop shop for a band. These things, after all, weren't made for people who, at the time, owned all of the Kansas albums on vinyl. It was a way to get a LOT of Kansas songs, for the first time, on CD.

I will admit I had forgotten it had a new song on it, though. I'll have to look it up since my attempts to remember it keep sending back Jealous Lover by Rainbow  :rollin
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #264 on: March 21, 2015, 09:52:19 AM »
I bought the Box set just for the song "Wheels" that I saw them play the summer before it came out but Hef will cover that as well.

Offline chaossystem

Re: The Kansas Discography Thread - Sixth studio album: MONOLITH (1979) p. 6
« Reply #265 on: March 21, 2015, 02:16:19 PM »
AUDIO-VISIONS (1980)

"As the power grows, darkness spreading
Hope is still alive, though we're dreading
What the future holds"

1.   Relentless (Livgren)                  4:57
2.   Anything For You (Walsh)               3:58
3.   Hold On (Livgren)                  3:54
4.   Loner (Walsh)                     2:31
5.   Curtain of Iron (Livgren)                  6:12
6.   Got to Rock On (Walsh)                  3:21
7.   Don’t Open Your Eyes (Walsh, Williams, Livgren, Ehart, Hope)   4:06
8.   No One Together (Livgren)               6:58
9.   No Room For a Stranger (Williams, Walsh)         3:00
10.   Back Door (Walsh)                  4:24

The band also self-produced the next album, Audio-Visions, which was released in September 1980.  Kerry Livgren’s spiritual seeking came to an end, as he became a born-again Christian, (as did bassist Dave Hope), and that came out in his lyrical output on this album, which caused some contention with some other members of the band.

The album’s first track is “Relentless,” an uptempo rocker.  As an opener, it is fairly uninspired, with rather bland riffing and a simplistic chorus.  For me, it’s a pretty boring and disappointing song.  Definitely below the band’s standards.

Up next is “Anything For You.”  This is a piano-driven song which to my ears almost sounds like something Steely Dan might have written.  This is a very tastefully written song, showing musicianship without unnecessary flash or pyrotechnics, with pretty good lyrics.  Easily one of my favorites from this album.

“Hold On” is the track that most clearly displays Livgren’s new religious focus.  “Everybody thinks it’s a boy-girl song, but it isn’t,” he says.  “If you examine the lyrics, you’ll see it’s about man’s relationship to God.”  It’s not a typical boy-girl song, true, but he was writing the lyrics to his wife, who at this point had yet to join him in Christian faith.  It was released as the album’s first single on September 20, 1980, and peaked at # 40 in October.  It would be the final Top 40 single from the band’s original lineup.

“Loner” is a weird little song.  It has really generic-sounding riffage and lyrics, but has some interesting musical passages otherwise.  Overall, not really satisfying; another disappointment.

“Curtain of Iron” is actually a pretty interesting song.  It has some nice musical composition, with some mysterious, almost prophetic-sounding Biblically-derived lyrics.  It doesn’t have a lot of “prog” characteristics, but it definitely has that big majestic feel to it.  Definitely one of the best selections from this album.

The next song, “Got to Rock On,” is another rocker, obviously written to be a single.  It actually starts out OK, before devolving into a cheesy, derivative chorus, with a title seemingly designed to appeal more to average music fans rather than the Kansas fanbase.  Another disappointment on an album rife with them.  This was the album’s second single, released on December 27, 1980, peaking at # 76 in January 1981.

“Don’t Open Your Eyes” is just not very good.  Bad lyrics contained within uninspired music, other than the obligatory instrumental section, which isn’t bad.  Again, the best word is probably “disappointing.”

“No One Together” was originally written for the previous album Monolith, but was dropped from that album because Kerry Livgren lost an argument with Steve Walsh about whose song should make the cut (Walsh won with “How My Soul Cries Out For You”), so this track wound up falling to this album.  The song features some of the intricate musical arrangement that is the trademark for Kansas.  The song overall really hearkens back to the musical foundations laid down by the band in their first three albums much more so than any other track on this album.  Easily the standout from this album, but that isn’t necessarily saying much.

“No Room for a Stranger” is, well, not much.  It’s a short little song that screams “filler!”  Not much to say about it, really.

The song’s final track, “Back Door,” is a piano-driven song that also hearkens back to older Kansas, in a way.  The music marries well with the lyrics, that are foreshadowing the immediate future of the band.  A satisfying end to an unsatisfying album.  The major drawback for the song is Walsh’s synthesized bagpipes. *shudders*

The album was certified Gold in December 1980, but was the last album by the band to be so certified.  Reviews of the album were also not good.  The band toured the USA in the fall of 1980 and spring of 1981, then headed to Europe in the summer before returning to the USA for some final tour dates.

The album marked the end of an era.  With the new lyrical emphasis of faith as embodied in Christianity, Steve Walsh was decidedly uncomfortable and left the band to start his own new group, Streets.  This marked a huge chink in the band’s armor, with the band losing not only its keyboard player, but also lead vocalist and second main songwriter, and laid the ground for massive changes to come.  To be honest, after the last two albums, some change was probably necessary, but not necessarily the ones that actually happened.

Last night  I found an old program on YouTube where Ronnie James Dio and Kerry Livgren were interviewed separately about the songs that Dio sang on Livgren's Seeds of Change album. Ronnie claimed that Kerry was "one of the biggest black magic guys on the planet," and that the reason he became a Christian is because he had a "black magic experience that really scared him and chased him all around."

Has anyone on here besides me read KL's book, also called Seeds of Change? in addition to some interesting details about the history of the Kansas Band, he also goes into great detail about his spiritual quest, which ultimately lead him to Christ. But he said that he converted from a religion called urantia, with no mention whatsoever of having experimented with any kind of satanism, witchcraft, black (or any other kind of) magic, etc. I suppose some details could have gotten left out, but what this seems to suggest is that one of them lied.

Anybody know anything about this?

Hef?
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #266 on: March 21, 2015, 08:53:30 PM »
I know some things about his spiritual journey, because it has a direct impact on the history of the band, but I've never heard of him having any ties to black magic /satanism.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #267 on: March 28, 2015, 05:01:49 AM »
In 1985, Kansas was no more.  Steve Walsh and Robbie Steinhardt had left for philosophical reasons, and Kerry Livgren and Dave Hope had left and formed a new band.  The Elefante experiment had been a disastrous failure, and the once mighty name of Kansas was left in ruins.

In the meantime, Walsh had formed a band called Streets.  They had some limited success, but ultimately it just didn’t work out.  So Walsh decided to reform Kansas.

He called up former Kansas bandmates Rich Williams and Phil Ehart to play guitar and drums in this new incarnation.  For bass, he brought over Billy Greer, who had played bass with Walsh in Streets.  And on lead guitar, Walsh was able to recruit the great Steve Morse, who Walsh had first met when Morse contributed some guitar work for Walsh’s 1980 solo album Schemer-Dreamer.  They got together and recorded a new album, Power, which was released in November 1986.

POWER (1986)

“Sometimes the answers you fear are there on the face in the mirror
Something the world needs to hear but no one is even listening”

1.   Silhouettes in Disguise (Morse, Walsh)            4:26
2.   Power (Goodrum, Morse, Walsh)            4:25
3.   All I Wanted (Morse, Walsh)               3:20
4.   Secret Service (Aclin, Miller, Morse, Walsh)         4:42
5.   We’re Not Alone Anymore (Morse, Walsh)         4:16
6.   Musicatto (Morse, Walsh)               3:30
7.   Taking in the View (Morse, Walsh)            3:06
8.   Three Pretenders (Greer, Morse, Walsh)            3:50
9.   Tomb 19 (Morse, Walsh)               3:46
10.   Can’t Cry Anymore (Smith, Temple)            4:01

The first track, “Silhouettes in Disguise,” gives a good indication of the musical direction of this new version of Kansas.  For the most part, it isn’t really progressive rock, in quite the same way that marked so many of the compositions of the first 3 albums, or the more focused pop prog of Leftoverture and Point of Know Return.  Instead, this is a perhaps more accessible form of rock music, featuring hints and elements of prog rock, somewhat like the music of Toto (although it didn’t sound like Toto).  Rock music with a flair.  And this song definitely shows that, featuring blistering work by Morse.  Different, but very nice.

“Power” begins very mellow, almost like a ballad, but the chorus takes into more palatable rock territory.  The chorus has a pleasing hook and nice vocal work by Walsh.  The bridge is cool as well.  Lyrically, the song is basically a huge motivational speech, but a nicely done one.  Another welcome addition.

The album’s third track, “All I Wanted,” sounds like a generic 80s ballad at first listen, but that can be deceptive.  The lyrics are really nice, and although “lite rock” sounding, the music is quite nice, and the chord progressions are interesting.  Kansas wasn’t previously known for doing love songs, but as those go, this one wasn’t bad.  It was released as the album’s first single, and hit number 19 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, the last Kansas single to hit the Top 40.

Up next is “Secret Service.” This is a more mid-tempo rocker.  Lyrically, I have no idea what the hell is going on here.  This is the first song on this album that doesn’t quite do it for me.  There is some really  interesting stuff going on in the instrumental section, but  unfortunately, there isn’t a better song wrapped around that section.  Overall, it’s OK, I suppose.

And that song leads directly into the next track, “We’re Not Alone Anymore.”  I would expect something with that title to be another ballad, but that isn’t the case here.  This is a tasty piece of rock music, a nice uptempo rocker.  For what it is, this song is really done well.  Nothing to complain about here.

“Musicatto” is a rare Kansas instrumental track.  This is a really cool piece, showcasing the talents of Morse on guitar.  It also features elements of the older progressive Kansas sound.  Definitely one of my favorite tracks from this album.

“Taking in the View” begins with gorgeous acoustic guitar and Walsh’s voice.  The lyrics are mysterious and enigmatic, and the chord progressions are interesting and unusual.  The bridge features children singing.  All in all, a nice piece, somewhat of a pallet cleanser.

“Three Pretenders” is a medium tempo rock song.  Nice instrumentation and arrangement, with an interesting instrumental section.  Lyrically, I have no idea what this song is about.  But it’s a fun song, well done.

Up next is “Tomb 19”, the lyrical precursor to “The Dark Eternal Night.”  This is seemingly a strange topic for Kansas lyrics, but hey, the song isn’t bad.  It’s not great, but it has some good features.  Walsh sounds great on this, really getting to sing in his upper register.  He has some cool keyboard work here as well.

The album closes with “Can’t Cry Anymore”, a keyboard-based song of lamenting lost love.  Again, this is unusual lyrical territory for Kansas, but it isn’t badly done.  Another band would have produced a generic power ballad with this material, but Kansas is here able to take it up a notch with a really nice instrumental section that sets it apart.  It actually also features a key change, and the whole thing has a bit of the majestic feel that was a feature of older Kansas.  A nice way to close out the album.

Overall, Power was fairly well-received critically, but it certainly didn’t set any sales records.  It is clear that the name “Kansas” didn’t carry the same weight that it once had; too much damage had been done to the brand.  And while the argument could certainly be made that this incarnation is just as much “Kansas in name only” as the Elefante version due to the absence (in this case) of Kerry Livgren, this album is definitely a step up from that version of the band, so I will take it.  And while it doesn’t feature as much of the trademark Kansas sound from days of old as many would like, this is a solid rock album with good songwriting and wonderful musicianship.  Again, definitely an improvement in quality over the last two albums.

After the success of “All I Wanted”, “Power” was the album’s second single release.  It only made it to # 84 on the Billboard Hot 100, and would be the last Kansas song to rank on that chart.  “Can’t Cry Anymore” was also later released, but failed to chart at all.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Kansas Discography Thread - 10th Studio Album POWER (1986) p. 8
« Reply #268 on: March 28, 2015, 05:08:58 AM »
I love this album.  Yes, it's not a normal Kansas album but I just played the hell out of it.  Got to see them on this tour in Boston and met all the members in the band.  I wish I could find the picture we took of Steve Walsh talking to us.  He was very nice and we talked music!  It was a great experience for this 18 year old.

I tend to love We’re Not Alone Anymore, Power, Tomb 19, Three Pretenders & Silhouettes in Disguise.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #269 on: March 28, 2015, 05:39:11 AM »
Nice!

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #270 on: March 28, 2015, 07:49:41 AM »
I'm gonna have to give this one a spin, too.  I have it, but I don't really remember it, and didn't know the history behind it.  I seem to remember thinking that it sounded very different with Steve Morse, who was great and who I knew from The Dixie Dregs, but that's about it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #271 on: March 28, 2015, 08:11:32 AM »
I've never heard this album, but checking out the single on YT, holy crap, I had totally forgotten about All I Wanted.  I definitely remember that from the 80s, but I don't think I had heard it in close to 30 years. Crazy.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #272 on: March 28, 2015, 08:16:29 AM »
This is a great album. Great to hear Steve Morse rock out properly.
I'm not a big Kansas fan (though by coincidence I listened to Leftoverture and Power this morning) but this album is a big favourite.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #273 on: March 28, 2015, 08:22:44 AM »
This is a great album. Great to hear Steve Morse rock out properly.
I'm not a big Kansas fan (though by coincidence I listened to Leftoverture and Power this morning) but this album is a big favourite.

Pretty much this.  I don't like Morse in a band situation as a rule but this is the exception.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: March 28, 2015, 08:27:22 AM »
It was certainly different seeing Steve play all the violin parts live on that tour with his guitar.  Synth guitar parts were very new in the mid 80's but it worked.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #275 on: March 28, 2015, 02:37:41 PM »
I've never heard this album, but checking out the single on YT, holy crap, I had totally forgotten about All I Wanted.  I definitely remember that from the 80s, but I don't think I had heard it in close to 30 years. Crazy.
Wow, really?  It's not one of their best, but definitely has some good stuff.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #276 on: March 28, 2015, 04:59:11 PM »
I heard that Steve Morse approached the band, or specifically Phil Ehart, and asked to join.

I also understand that he took a lot of criticism for it, because Kansas supposedly wasn't a good enough band musicianship-wise for him to be in.

Which I say is bullshit.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #277 on: March 28, 2015, 06:06:03 PM »
Well, at the time, Kansas was on hiatus, and their recent work was less than stellar.  I think that Steve might be slightly better on a technical level than the rest of the guys in this lineup (I've heard Steve do some really amazing things), but it's not like he's too good for them or they're not good enough to play with him.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #278 on: March 28, 2015, 06:09:52 PM »
Right.

My point exactly.

When I first heard the Dregs, I thought they kind of sounded like an instrumental version of Kansas.

But as good as he is, I don't necessarily think that Steve Morse is a better guitarist than Kerry Livgren.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #279 on: March 29, 2015, 06:00:34 PM »
Listened to Power once through today.  Not bad!  Steve Morse definitely brings a different sound but also a whole lot of energy.  There were a couple of times I thought I heard a little Dixie Dregs in there, but that's to be expected.  I don't think I've ever thought of the Dregs as an instrumental version of Kansas, but I can see how one could make the comparison.

Right out of the gate with some good, uptempo rocking.  That's the way to start an album; that's how you announce that Kansas is back.  The only thing missing would've been some tasty violin work, but hey, you can't have everything.  Too bad, because there's some great fiddling on the early Dregs' albums.  If only Morse could've Allen Sloan along...

As I mentioned, I wasn't aware of the history behind this album (or really of the band at all) at the time.  I'd heard that Steve Walsh was back.  That makes it sound like Kansas as an entity still existed and Steve literally came back to it after an unsuccessful solo career.  What really happened was that he put a new band together and called it Kansas.  The fact that it had a few Kansas alumni in it certainly helped, but let's face it; this is a new band.  Not "Kansas in name only" -- it definitely has a legitimate claim to the name and certainly sounds like "new Kansas".

I'd also heard that while Steve Walsh was back, Kerry Livgren had left, but Rich Williams is still in.  Confusion.  For some reason I'd always thought that Rich was basically the lead guitarist and Kerry was mostly rhythm.  Since Kerry played both keyboards and guitar with Kansas, I guess in my mind he was "mostly keyboards and some guitar" although there was really no reason to think that.  Since Steve Morse's style and sound is so familiar to me, I can hear him all over this album.  So was Rich mostly the rhythm guitarist?  Or were the duties more evenly divided?  Why bring in another guitarist when you still have Rich, an original member?  Because Steve Walsh only plays keys and they felt that Kansas needed two guitars?  Or maybe because Steve Morse... well, he's Steve Morse, and could add so much to the band.  According to Wiki, Morse joined at Phil Ehart's invitation.  So it seems there are different versions of the story.

Anyway, I only gave it one spin so far, but it sounds good.  A step up from the previous two for sure.  Unlike many here, apparently, I never really liked Elephante's voice, so it's great to hear Steve Walsh back.