Author Topic: The Kansas Discography Thread - THAT'S ALL, FOLKS (For Now)  (Read 44991 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
The Kansas Discography Thread - THAT'S ALL, FOLKS (For Now)
« on: January 07, 2015, 04:44:23 AM »
PREAMBLE

On a night as I lay sleeping, in a dream I saw the shore of a distant land where promise lay in wait

In the beginning, there was Topeka.  That is where America’s first great progressive rock band had its origins.  In fact, Topeka West High School, where guitarist Kerry Livgren, drummer Phil Ehart, bassist Dave Hope, and guitarist Richard Williams all attended school together, was the home of a burgeoning music scene. 

After graduating high school, and spending four months playing with an otherwise all-black rhythm & blues band called The Mellotones, Livgren formed a band called Saratoga.  Meanwhile, Ehart was the leader of a rival Topeka band known as White Clover (which also included Hope, as well as Williams).  White Clover gained some notoriety, playing the New Orleans Pop Festival (shortly after Woodstock).

While visiting friends in Topeka, Ehart happened to listen to a Saratoga rehearsal, and recognized in Livgren a kindred spirit.  They decided to form a new band using the best players from Saratoga and White Clover, including Hope.  They named this new conglomeration Kansas.  Some fans refer to this group as Kansas I.

That first group started out in mid 1970 with 8 members (including two keyboardists and two lead singers – one of whom quit after just a few weeks).  They achieved an interesting mark on history when they opened up for the Doors on December  12, 1970 at The Warehouse in New Orleans.  Phil Ehart later said, “Jim Morrison invited some of us on stage for their last song.  We did an instrumental blues jam that was just great.”  Of course, Morrison died shortly thereafter.  The result?  Not only had Kansas shared the stage with the Doors at their last concert, but some of them were actually playing during the last song the Doors would ever perform.

Neat huh?

That original group split up in fall 1971.  Livgren eventually formed another group under the name Kansas (this same group of musicians re-formed 30 years later under the name Proto-Kaw), known by some fans as Kansas II, while Ehart and Hope reformed White Clover.

Eventually, Ehart decided to upgrade the talent level in White Clover, and really go for the big time.  He recruited vocalist/keyboardist Steve Walsh and violinist Robby Steinhardt.  Dave Hope and Richard Williams were also re-recruited into the fold. 

White Clover was now a 5-piece with outstanding musicians, but only one of them (Walsh) was really a writer.  Ehart knew they needed another piece to complement Walsh, so he persuaded Livgren to join.  Their six-piece was complete.

Before Livgren joined, White Clover had recorded a demo.  It was eventually heard by legendary producer Don Kirshner, who was starting his own record label.  He sent VP Wally Gold to see the band in person to see if they could bring it live.  The band wanted to make sure the crowd was full and rocking when Gold came to see them, so they charged no admission and gave away free beer.  Gold was impressed with the crowd, and extremely impressed with the band.

On Gold’s recommendation, Kirshner signed the band to a record deal.  But before that, the band decided to change their name from White Clover to Kansas.  Livgren said, “We would tell people we were just a bunch of clowns from Kansas.  What better name could we have?”
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 09:01:00 AM by hefdaddy42 »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Letter M

Re: The Kansas Discography Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 05:13:18 AM »
Good read! I look forward to following along with this. It's been only a couple months since I last had a Kansas kick, but I don't mind putting them back into rotation!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 06:00:57 AM »
Guys, I love the band, but I'm no expert.  I did quite a bit of research thus far, but if I get something wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me.  I can take it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 06:16:06 AM »
if I get something wrong...

Say it ain't so.....

I kid of course, and nice read. A band I've admired from afar, even saw live once opening for Yes. I'll be following.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 03:06:48 PM »
"We did an instrumental blues jam that was just great.”  Of course, Morrison died shortly thereafter.

Ah, so that's what really killed Jim Morrison!

Sorry, just messin' with you.  That particular shift just happened to catch my eye.  I'll be watching this thread, and contributing occasionally.  I've been a Kansas fan since the 70's but, apparently like a few of us here, don't know much about them.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 03:32:14 PM »
I'm mostly looking forward to learning more and revisiting their post-Monolith albums, as I'm already fairly familiar with everything from their debut to Monolith. It's been nearly a decade since I got into them (a couple years after I dove into prog as a whole), and back then, I listened to EVERY Kansas album with gleeful excitement, getting to know them for the first time. The first five albums are all dynamite, though, and are clearly more revered by prog fans and rock fans alike. I remember enjoying their later albums, but they didn't seem to stick to me as much as any of their earlier work, so I'm hoping this thread will help me get back into those albums when we get to them!

Looks like I'm keeping my Kansas CD-r copies in my car rotation for a little while longer!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 03:44:53 PM »
Not a big fan. Have digital copies of their first 6 albums and own the live album. Will follow, at least up till that point.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 04:01:35 PM »
Woohoo! One of my favorite bands of all time. The nostalgia is going to go through the roof on this one. Unfortunately, my real life just got a bit hectic so I'll need to weigh in later.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 04:31:49 PM »
I am so in for this Hef!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 04:38:09 PM »
I do like Leftoverture, so will follow this ;D

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 07:35:56 PM »
Will follow this. I know a few of the classic Kansas albums but I haven't explored their discography too thoroughly, now is a good time to do so.  :tup
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 07:46:10 PM »
Definitely following, as Kansas is one of my all-time favorites.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 06:14:48 AM »
I should have the post for the debut album up tomorrow.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2015, 07:12:24 AM »
...and I forgot to upload it.  :lol  I'll do it when I get home from work, if I remember.

Offline 7deg_inner_happiness

• Can't get enough music!
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2015, 08:20:56 AM »
Kansas was my favorite band when I was a teenager, so I am definitely following.  First time I saw them live was on Nov. 10th, 1980 at the Boston Garden...6th row!!....I still remember Steve Walsh doing handstands on his keyboard......Opening act that night was Molly Hatchet?!
- Ronzoni -

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2015, 09:33:56 AM »
I have a best of from Kansas which I like.

I'll definetely follow

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2015, 09:56:56 AM »
Kansas was my favorite band when I was a teenager, so I am definitely following.  First time I saw them live was on Nov. 10th, 1980 at the Boston Garden...6th row!!....I still remember Steve Walsh doing handstands on his keyboard......Opening act that night was Molly Hatchet?!
Yeah, that schtick was golden.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2015, 10:58:50 AM »
He was still doing the handstands in the 90's as well.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2015, 11:51:11 AM »

I believe that was the tour I saw here in Nashville, Tennessee.  I remember that there were 4 us that went to the concert.  We started out in my apartment with a fifth of Jack, Crown and Wild Turkey along with a few joints.  Of course we were stupid then and we flipped a coin on who would drive.

I was not that familiar with the band and sometime during the concert, I asked if there was 2 violin players.  Seeing double that night.

My wife and I look back on those days and were sure were fortunate that we did not all get killed in car wrecks.

Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline 7deg_inner_happiness

• Can't get enough music!
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2015, 01:17:53 PM »

I believe that was the tour I saw here in Nashville, Tennessee.  I remember that there were 4 us that went to the concert.  We started out in my apartment with a fifth of Jack, Crown and Wild Turkey along with a few joints.  Of course we were stupid then and we flipped a coin on who would drive.

I was not that familiar with the band and sometime during the concert, I asked if there was 2 violin players.  Seeing double that night.

My wife and I look back on those days and were sure were fortunate that we did not all get killed in car wrecks.

Ah!  Remembering the good ol' glory days!  :rollin
- Ronzoni -

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2015, 01:28:20 PM »

Awesome! Boston Garden :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2015, 04:19:05 PM »
KANSAS (1974)

“So much relies on the course that you take; the fool and the wise man both burn at the stake”

1.   Can I Tell You (Williams, Ehart, Hope, Walsh)      3:32
2.   Bringing It Back (Cale)                       3:33
3.   Lonely Wind (Walsh)                       4:16
4.   Belexes (Livgren)                               4:23
5.   Journey From Mariabronn (Livgren, Walsh)      7:55
6.   The Pilgrimage (Livgren, Walsh)            3:42
7.   Aperçu (Livgren, Walsh)                       9:54
8.   Death of Mother Nature Suite (Livgren)         7:43      

The band headed to a studio in New York in the summer of 1973 to record their first album.  They got two weeks to record, sandwiched in between sessions for Yoko Ono, the New York Dolls, and Alice Cooper.  Afterwards, they went home and told all their family and friends that the album would be out soon.

But it just kept not coming out, and not coming out.  They went back to playing their old circuit of venues while they waited.

Meanwhile, their recorded debut actually happened on Johnny Winter’s album Saints And Sinners in February 1974.  Members of the band had recorded handclaps on one of the tracks while in New York.

Finally, after seven months, Kansas was released in March 1974. 

The opening track, “Can I Tell You,” had actually been the first song written by White Clover, and was one of the songs included on the demo that got the band its big break.  It was one of the two singles released for the album.  As an opener, it displays some outstanding musicianship , but it wasn’t really indicative of the progressive stylings that the band would eventually become known for.  Lead vocals are shared by Steinhardt and Walsh.

The second track, “Bringing It Back,” featuring Steinhardt on lead vocal, displays another side of the band, almost a bar-band honky tonk feel.  The strange thing about the song is that it isn’t an original, but is rather a composition by JJ Cale, a singer-songwriter known for songs such as “After Midnight” and “Cocaine” (both covered by Eric Clapton) and “Call Me The Breeze” (covered by Lynyrd Skynyrd).  So, while the style is consistent with something Kansas may have written at this time, it is the only cover that Kansas would record until 1998 (we’ll get there, don’t worry about it now).

Next is “Lonely Wind,” a ballad written by Steve Walsh, featuring beautiful violin work by Steinhardt.  It starts off sounding a little “by the numbers,” but there are enough intricacies there to keep the song interesting.  Starting out very mellow, by the time of the final chorus, the entire band is in, and it has a majestic feel.  This wound up being the second single released for the album.

With the next track, “Belexes,” we start getting a feel for the progressive rock sound for which the band would become known.  Although only four and a half minutes in length, there is a lot packed in there (even a drum solo).  The instrumentation is impeccable, and features a great guitar solo as well as outstanding vocal harmonies.  One of the standout songs on the album, IMHO.

“Journey From Mariabronn” is our first example of Kansas’s prog-ish exploration of longer song forms.  Different time signatures are used throughout, moving through multiple keys, and this song definitely showcases one of the strengths of the band that helped separate them from other contemporary bands.  Many bands only had one melodic lead instrument (the guitar); fortunate bands were also able to incorporate keyboards.   Kansas had three, merging violin with guitar and keyboard.  This enabled them to feature more interesting compositions, regardless of the style of music employed.  The fact that they were experimenting with techniques established by progressive rock bands gave them a real individual sound; no one else sounded like Kansas.  This song is one of the first to really demonstrate that fact.  The lyrics by Livgren are based on the novel Narcissus and Goldmund by Herman Hesse.

After the prog outbursts of the last two songs, “The Pilgrimage” is almost a breather.  It is somewhat a throwback to the bar-band roots of the band.  It is interesting that this song was written by Livgren and Walsh together, like “Journey From Mariabronn,” but it sounds NOTHING like it.  The songwriting influences for both men was extremely broad, as is evidenced here.  It’s a fun song, but is best seen as a palette cleanser.

Next we have another epic-lenth song, “Aperçu.”  Like “Belexes,” the music is influenced by the opera Turandot by Giacomo Puccini.  At various points, the song features lead violin, galloping drums, tight syncopation, and haunting vocal delivery by Walsh over maudlin piano, as well as impeccable organ and lead guitar work.  Again, wonderful vocal harmonies are featured, as are extended instrumental sections.  The longest song on the album, “Aperçu” has a lot to offer to the new fan.  I love this song.

Closing out the album is another progressive rock extended-length piece, “Death of Mother Nature Suite.”  The lyrics feature Livgren showing an environmentally conscious point of view, and also feature the album’s harshest moments (And now she’s gonna die!  Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!), delivered with real emotion by Steinhardt.  Musically, the song continues directly on from “Aperçu,” and I can only imagine how awesome it must have been to see both songs performed live back to back like that.  For all the ferocity of the end of the stanzas, there are also mellow moments.  A hallmark of the band, great dynamics are on display for this song as well.  I see this as the heaviest song on the album, and a very satisfying close to the opening festivities.

The album initially sold 100,000 copies, and was in the Billboard charts for 2 weeks, rising to # 174 (it would eventually be certified Gold in 1995).  While the album met with some critical success, it was considered a commercial failure.  So the band hit the road, opening up for the Kinks for the rest of the year.

All in all, I find this to be an EXTREMELY satisfying album, not to mention a fantastic debut.  Obviously, some songs stand out more than others, but overall, there is a lot to love here, and this album will always have a special place in my heart.

The 2004 remastered reissue featured a live version of “Bringing It Back” as a bonus track.

Fun fact: one of the assistant engineers on the album was Jimmy Iovine, who went on to become a legendary producer, co-founder of Interscope Records, co-founder of Beats By Dre, and an onscreen personality as a mentor on American Idol. 

“How can we begin to describe the years of frustration and endless disappointments which suddenly turned around and culminated in this album? We won’t even try.  Suffice it to say that in spite of the fact that this is our first record, we have around 50 years of combined musical experience in one of the most unmusical environments imaginable.  Our music has many faces and many moods liked the land we live in.  It is a fusion of energy and serenity, a melting pot of ideas.  From the very beginning, we considered ourselves and our music different, and we hope we always remain so.

“Thanks and unthanks are, as usual, too numerous to mention, but we pour out both to those deserving and they know who they are.  Our lives are in this music.  WE ARE KANSAS!  KANSAS IS A BAND!”
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 08:38:48 AM by hefdaddy42 »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Kansas Discography Thread - First album: KANSAS (1974) p. 1
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2015, 04:48:15 PM »
My friends band opened with Can I Tell You at our local Battle Of the Bands in the 80's.  To watch all the musicians jaws drop because they had to go on after them was amazing. 

I will listen to this tomorrow on the road and post my thoughts.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2015, 07:22:00 PM »
Been playing this in my car on my work commutes the last couple of days to gear up for this! :tup

The opening 2 tracks are pretty rocking, especially "Bringing It Back" (from Mexico, no less!) and its catchy chorus. This showed a band that could really rock out and have chops. "Lonely Wind" is a soothing and beautifully composed ballad that gives the listener some rest after the two opening songs. "Belexes" and "Journey From Mariabronn" are pretty amazing, more so the latter (one of my favorite Kansas tracks ever). "Mariabronn" features some very well composed melodies over odd meters, especially the melodic vocals in the middle of the song in the 7/8 section. I just LOVE humming along to those, and the whole song!

"The Pilgrimage" is another short, but good piece, while the last two act as a sort of duet to close the album out as they segue into each other very nicely. What a way to close a debut, with 17:37 of heavy, hard-hitting prog rock! Lots of amazing vocal deliveries, violin and guitar solos, and just very complex and well-composed playing. The dynamics of the pieces are all over the place, in a GOOD way.

This is by far one of my favorite debuts of any prog band. It's strong front-to-back and has a consistent quality to it while still offering quite a bit of variety. I imagined it would be hard to follow up an album like this, but apparently it wouldn't be THAT hard to do it...

-Marc.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2015, 08:50:13 PM »
Excellent debut album.  Right out of the gate, they had prog epics, shorter catchy songs, and things rather inbetween and/or combining elements of prog and pop.  I always thought Kansas did that really well, combine accessible songs and songwriting with great chops and a taste for something more adventurous.  The violin, right in there duking it out with the guitar and keyboards, is unique and amazing.  And the folk-inspired two-part vocal harmonies of Walsh and Steinhardt are great.  You're right; nothing else sounds like Kansas.

Nice writeup, too!  :tup  I agree with pretty much everything.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2015, 04:39:05 AM »
Nice writeup, too!  :tup  I agree with pretty much everything.
My mission is complete.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2015, 05:47:33 AM »
Even though I've been a huge fan of this band since the mid 90s, I didn't get the debut album until many years later, because the friends I had who were also big Kansas fan weren't high on it, so I took their advice.  However, one day I just decided, screw it, bought it, and was pleasantly surprised. I already knew Journey from Mariabronn for years, and always loved it, but it had several other grabbers, most notably Apercu and Death of Mother Nature Suite.  The album was worth getting just for those three songs (although I had Journey... as an mp3 for years already).  Some of the shorter songs don't really stand out to me at all, but overall, this is a good debut record.  :tup

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2015, 10:57:53 AM »
Gave it a listen today, and it was quite a fun experience. I really liked the violin work when it appeared.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2015, 12:38:35 PM »
Didn't care for the first tunes much, felt it was pretty average for their standards, but I was hooked with Lonely Wind. Not their best ballad but really showed off their songwriting chops that they would develop later on.

Belexes is a pretty chaotic rocker, lots of cool instrumental stuff happening and I love the thunderous finish.

Great dramatic piano playing in Journey from Mariabronn. This is quite unlike some of their other epic length tracks but just as enjoyable. Love some of the vocal stuff here too. Also a nice climatic finish!

The Pilgrimage was a nice little rocker, was a good breather in between the long tracks.

The last two tracks are a great finished and could've easily been one song. Some really heavy stuff here, lyrically and musically.

Overall, an enjoyable album. Shows the promise of the band but they still have a lot of growing to do. Good stuff!
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2015, 03:14:40 AM »
I've always really loved this album and it's one of my favorite all time debuts. The first three songs are fun in there own right but for me the album doesn't really take off until Belexes...from then on I think it's such a fat, juicy piece of prog pie. I can't really add anything beyond what Hef said in his excellent write-up so I won't even try.  :hefdaddy

I backed into this album in reverse chronology from Leftoverature sometime in the late 70's. I liked it and all but I didn't really listen to it regularly until the mid 00's when I began to obsess on my back catalog.

Kansas always brings to mind black light posters and burning a fattie with my pal Kevin. (No, not that one)
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2015, 01:33:37 PM »
I'm listening to this again and I was just struck by the thought that Lonely Wind has a country church hymn quality to it that is really engaging. It makes me want to throw my arms out wide and sing along during the choruses.  :lol

Oooo, Belexes is just starting...gotta go.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2015, 07:47:13 AM »
Sorry, meant to post the second album this morning.  It will be done hopefully this evening.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2015, 09:10:54 AM »
Sorry, meant to post the second album this morning.  It will be done hopefully this evening.
:tup

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2015, 06:07:03 PM »

:P

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2015, 06:14:24 AM »
SONG FOR AMERICA (1975)

“I wonder what you'd think if all the changes didn't come, for growing old is only going back to where you're from”

1.   Down The Road (Walsh, Livgren)                    3:43
2.   Song For America (Livgren)                       10:03
3.   Lamplight Symphony (Livgren)               8:16
4.   Lonely Street (Walsh, Hope, Williams, Ehart)         5:42
5.   The Devil Game (Walsh, Hope)                       5:04
6.   Incomudro - Hymn to the Atman (Livgren)         12:17

The label asked for a more radio-friendly album this time, so the band promptly went and recorded Song For America, a collection of songs including three over eight minutes in length.  It wasn’t quite what the label had in mind, obviously, but the album sold 250,000 copies, fueled by the band’s relentless touring, making a name for themselves by sheer hard work.

The album opens with the short rocker “Down The Road,” which seems born out of their bar band days.  It has a cool instrumental section dominated by Steinhardt’s violin, along with hand claps. Drugs are the lyrical subject, provided by Walsh.  Very entertaining, but far from the meat of the album.

Up next is the title track “Song For America.”  It features complex arrangements , multiple shifts in tone, key, and time signature, and all of the instruments are prominent.  Opening with an overture-like intro piece, it eventually gets into an extended instrumental in 9/16 time.  Lyrically, it charts the history of the land of America, beginning before the Native Americans settled the land, and continuing on through colonization and into modern times.  This was the band’s most ambitious composition to date, and still holds up quite well.  Definitely one of my personal favorite Kansas songs.  Interestingly enough, the full ten minute song got a decent amount of airplay on FM radio, but a 3 minute single edit went absolutely nowhere on AM (as it should be).

That ten-minute epic is followed by the eight-minute “Lamplight Symphony,” which Kerry Livgren described as a “musical ghost story.”  It begins as a fairly mellow keyboard-dominated song, lyrically almost a ballad, but as we approach the 4 minute mark the song starts to crank up – still featuring Walsh’s keyboard, but leaving the realm of the ballad and entering the land of heavy progressive rock, before weaving its way back to a classical-sounding piano break, and then back to the full band.  This song always seems to be the “forgotten” song for Kansas, but I love it.  I think it is simply gorgeous, not as “proggy” as “Song For America,” but very lush and expansive.

Next up is a seeming oddity for the band.  “Lonely Street” is essentially a heavy blues song.  Although not their forte, they definitely are able to handle the genre quite effectively, and Walsh’s voice is the real standout here for me.  The lyrics are again by Walsh, and are about (surprise!) life on the streets.

“The Devil Game” is another blistering rocker, replete with great tasty morsels of music with a proggy flair.  Probably the most high-energy song on the album, Walsh’s lyrics are about temptation, and the difficulties of resisting it.  Very dark, both musically and lyrically.

The album closes with “Incomudro – Hymn to the Atman.”  Lyrically driven by Livgren’s interest in Eastern philosophies, and the Hindu/Buddhist concept of the atman (soul/true self), this is Kansas’s longest recorded song, and would grow in length during live performances.  Of course, size isn’t everything.  Of all of their lengthier prog pieces, this is the one that just doesn’t work for me.  It feels bloated, and lengthened for length’s sake.  In my opinion, it would have been a more effective piece with some editing and self-censorship (and maybe eliminating that drum solo altogether).  But that’s just me.

Overall, this is Kansas’s heaviest, darkest, and perhaps most progressive album.  There is a lot to digest here, and repeated listenings will reveal new things in almost every song.  One thing that struck me is Dave Hope’s bass playing – it is a real standout to me, very dexterous and more than a match for the dueling guitars, keys, and violin. This album also marked the start of the band’s relationship with artist Peter Lloyd, who designed the Kansas logo and painted the album cover.

As I said, the album initially sold 250,000 copies, much better than the debut album, but still not where the label would have liked to see it.  It was eventually certified Gold in 1980.  The 2004 remastered reissue featured  the single edit of “Song For America” (3:02!) and a live version of “Down The Road” as bonus tracks.

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 08:39:35 AM by hefdaddy42 »