Author Topic: Accidental Marijuana Consumption v. REALLY?  (Read 6210 times)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
Accidental Marijuana Consumption v. REALLY?
« on: January 06, 2015, 12:21:31 PM »
https://www.yahoo.com/health/surge-in-marijuana-ills-causes-cries-for-stricter-107307309887.html

What a complete joke!
No accountability for anything anymore, just blame! Someone please tell me how 3 to 7 year kid "ACCIDENTALLY SMOKES MARIJUANA"??? If you are a parent using medical marijuana its your responsibility to make sure your little children have no chance to get there hands on it. Just as a kid shouldn't be able to accidentally shoot themselves with a firearm. ACCOUNTABILITY!!!!! NOT PLACING BLAME WRONGLY ON ANYTHING POSSIBLE EXCEPT YOURSELF!!!! :facepalm:
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Accidental Marijuana Consumption v. REALLY?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 12:31:47 PM »
I stopped reading at "The number of children treated annually for accidental pot consumption". You don't treat a child who consumed pot. You wait an hour or two and nothing bad happens.

Okay. I kept reading. You are referring to "At least 14 Colorado children ages 3 to 7 were sent to hospitals in the first half of 2014 for accidentally ingesting marijuana products, compared with eight in 2013 and four between 2008 and 2011, SAM said of state data.". I will bet my left testicle that all 14 of those cases were due to a child eating it rather than smoking it.

This is clearly the bigger issue.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/health/one-child-under-10-treated-for-alcohol-abuse-every-week.25630088

As many as 225 youngsters aged nine or under have been admitted to hospital for alcohol abuse.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 12:38:04 PM by Chino »

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 12:32:53 PM »
 :lol

This is laughable. And I don't think this is a matter of accountability but more of a political move to try to stop the drug consumption really.

So, inb4 this gets moved to the political/religious subforum.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 12:37:51 PM »

This is laughable. And I don't think this is a matter of accountability but more of a political move to try to stop the drug consumption really.

So, inb4 this gets moved to the political/religious subforum.
You are right, but its still really annoying!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 12:40:24 PM »
I need to be treated for accidentally reading this thread.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 12:40:50 PM »
The internet and people not fit to be parents are more of a danger to children than a pot brownie.

https://www.cfr.org/interactives/GH_Vaccine_Map/#map

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 12:43:09 PM »

Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 12:44:45 PM »
I accidentally the whole thing.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 12:48:28 PM »
Maybe someone will accidentally treat you. Hang in there!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 12:50:55 PM »
Just knowing you is enough of a treat, Tick.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 12:51:52 PM »
Tick or treat?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 12:53:10 PM »

I'd though other threads by now would have sent you to rehab. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2015, 01:12:51 PM »
Just knowing you is enough of a treat, Tick.
:heart

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2015, 02:30:33 PM »

Was thinking the same thing!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2015, 02:51:07 PM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2015, 02:54:18 PM »
 :hat

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2015, 03:20:24 PM »
All kidding aside, though.  I can see how this could happen pretty easily.  "Accidental Ingestion" not "Accidental Smoking" though.

I think anyone claiming they "accidentally" smoked weed is either lying or stuck on stupid from purposely smoking too much weed.  :lol

But I can see where edibles could easily be mistaken for candy by a kid.  They've got all kinds of edibles in Colorado.  Gummy bears, swedish fish, chocolate bars, cookies, brownies, taffy, fudge, lollipops, just about every type of candy you could think of.

I think it's inevitable that some kids are going to either purposely (teenagers) or accidentally (babies/toddlers) pick something up that was dropped unintentionally or left somewhere in a common area of the home.  And really, Chino's right that not much true harm to these kids will come of this.  I'm absolutely positive that Mom & Dad's liquor cabinet and medicine chest are FAR more dangerous than a pot Gummy Bear  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2015, 03:23:50 PM »
I read that article this morning, and my thoughts were:

What the hell is the point of this article?  So a few kids ate pot infused food and got really really high. 

First of all, its 100% the parents fault. 

Second, there is no "treatment" just sit and wait it out. 

Third, the number went from a few kids to a couple more.  These numbers are bogus because they are too tiny.

Fourth, this is clearly propaganda against legalization that actually doesnt hold any value.  I can take an anti legalization article if there is any weight to it, there is none here.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2015, 03:57:40 PM »
I'll only point out that edibles will really fuck you up if you're not prepared for or expecting it. I can certainly understand how people would wind up in the ER after such an event. And while no harm will come of it, I'd like to think that a decent ER doc would at least give you a Xanax or something to help smooth things out a bit. That's just simple decency.

Lastly, it's funnier when it happens to cops.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2015, 07:48:51 PM »
^^^^  That vid is classic

"i think we're dead"  :rollin

and yeah, don't mess around with eating it, it will sneak up on people if they aren't careful and then your in for a real bad time.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2015, 08:11:07 PM »
So what does a doctor prescribe to a stoned kid? A bag of Doritos and a nap?
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2015, 08:23:21 PM »

All kidding aside...to the point EB and Phoenix were making about how potent consumed THC is....I'd imagine the 'treatment' is more psychological. Calming them, helping them understand what's going on and so forth. We all know the physical effects won't be detrimental.... But I can't imagine what that must feel like when you have no idea what's going on mentally? At least as an adult and when you mean to do a drug you are prepared mentslly for whatever happens to an extent.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2015, 09:53:10 PM »
All kidding aside...to the point EB and Phoenix were making about how potent consumed THC is....I'd imagine the 'treatment' is more psychological. Calming them, helping them understand what's going on and so forth. We all know the physical effects won't be detrimental.... But I can't imagine what that must feel like when you have no idea what's going on mentally? At least as an adult and when you mean to do a drug you are prepared mentslly for whatever happens to an extent.
That's actually interesting. I'm not sure a kiddo would actually be all that concerned about it. Ingested weed tends to be more of a body high than a head high, so depending on the weed he ate he'd probably either be pretty lethargic or bouncing off the walls hyper; neither being unusual conditions for the wee ones. He'd probably also be a bit of a dumbass for the next couple of hours (also not unsual  :lol). It's the adults who freak the fuck out because they already have a working frame of reference. Someone who's been smoking for 20 years eats 5g of KB and it's a whole new ballgame. The difference often being great enough that they panic. Demi Moore did the same thing Johnny did in that video a couple of years ago after smoking Spice and getting blindsided. What amazes me is that people take their kids to the ER in the first place. If they're buying edibles then they're already familiar with the effects. Not sure what they think a hospital doc is going to do for them that few hours of patience won't do without a visit from those pesky child welfare folk.

Something from the benzodiazepine family if they're freaking out, observation for the tachycardia if still present and a phone call to the CWS to make sure social workers remain inside your intestines for the next 5 years.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2015, 11:24:16 PM »
I'll only point out that edibles will really fuck you up if you're not prepared for or expecting it. I can certainly understand how people would wind up in the ER after such an event. And while no harm will come of it, I'd like to think that a decent ER doc would at least give you a Xanax or something to help smooth things out a bit. That's just simple decency.

Lastly, it's funnier when it happens to cops.

:lol, that's amazing. "What's the score on the Red Wings game?"

But yeah, I have a friend who ended up in the ER because of a pot cookie. I also had a horrible panic attack thanks to a piece of fudge once, so I totally understand how people end up in the hospital, as useless as it is. Thankfully I had a patient roommate and Can't Hardly Wait to calm me down.

Regarding the kid thing, people just need to learn to put their shit away where kids can't get to it, just like any kind of medication or other substance not meant for kids. I saw a story on the news a while back about kids getting into edibles and there being possible legislation to outlaw them here in CO, and it's fucking stupid. It's not the edibles that are the problem, it's the negligence of parents.

As someone else said, the change in the numbers is really not significant... and what is up with this "statistic":
Use among people ages 18 and older from 2011-2013 in Colorado and Washington has risen about 3 percentage points

Are you sure the rate of marijuana usage is really something you can quantify that easily? I'd love to know where they got those numbers.

Stupid. The laws aren't perfect and the pot culture in Denver is quite frankly getting kind of annoying, but arguments like these are weaaaak.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2015, 09:00:16 AM »
Regarding the kid thing, people just need to learn to put their shit away where kids can't get to it, just like any kind of medication or other substance not meant for kids. I saw a story on the news a while back about kids getting into edibles and there being possible legislation to outlaw them here in CO, and it's fucking stupid. It's not the edibles that are the problem, it's the negligence of parents.
Seems to me that better packaging is certainly a reasonable thing to demand. Something to make it harder for kids to get into (and yes I see the concern that stoners might have an equally rough go at it) and some sort of descriptor as to the potency. My understanding of it is that you really don't know how much you're ingesting with edibles up there, and when it's too the point that long-term dopers with tons of experience are willing to go to the ER because the potency kicked their ass so severely then that's problematic.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2015, 09:03:44 AM »
I'm 100% in favor of a more accurate THC content labeling, as well as wrappers that upon just glancing at indicate that it's weed. Do I think it's necessary? No. We don't do it with booze. But if that's all it takes to get people to lighten up and potentially legalize it in other states, I'm all for it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2015, 09:34:42 AM »
I think the OP had it right, regardless of the details:  it's your weed, you're responsible for it.  Like anything else. 

As for "why the ER?", having gone through what could be called an amicable divorce, I can tell you that even in that situation, if something happened to my kid and my ex even remotely disagreed with it, the ER would be high on her list of places to visit, just to put it on paper.  Point being, there are too many variables to question that aspect of it. 

I do say, though, that while using this scenario as the argument for more legislation is, as was already said, weak, the argument that "XYZ is just as dangerous" is equally weak.  That killing you by torture and mutilation is a gruesome way to go doesn't mean I can kill you in a more humane way.  While I'm for legalization of marijuana (I'd actually go further, but that's me) I also think that it is likely that research will show that much like alcohol, the "benign" effects of marijuana are likely only on a developed brain, and that young children are harmed by pot use in the same way that they are harmed by alcohol use.  There is a condition known as "fetal alcohol syndrome" for a reason, you know, and estimates are that to a 16-year-old (and up, to as late as early 20's) brain, substance abuse is harmful in a way that it is not for fully mature (physically) adults. 

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2015, 10:18:11 AM »
If the weed has a high THC level and a low CBD level, it'll cause paranoia, anxiety, and over-thinking (like thinking if this is really reality and if your dead). Reverse the levels and you've got a calm, soothing, mental state of mind. They have edibles that are strictly for medicinal use that are sold recreationally, I bought some and the CBD was pretty high while the THC was up there but not a lot, Its main purpose is for pain and it helped.

What this shows me is how uneducated most are about cannabis and its chemical compounds.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2015, 10:37:19 AM »
If the weed has a high THC level and a low CBD level, it'll cause paranoia, anxiety, and over-thinking (like thinking if this is really reality and if your dead).

I have never once thought anything even remotely close to this.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2015, 11:03:33 AM »
If the weed has a high THC level and a low CBD level, it'll cause paranoia, anxiety, and over-thinking (like thinking if this is really reality and if your dead).

It depends really, I know people who begin to question themselves,  I guess really evaluating their life. Hence the "this is not reality" that SOME can get.

Ingesting it can cause that because it does suddenly creep up on you.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2015, 01:14:39 PM »

Not on grass, at least.  :lol
E.F. Benson

Offline dparrott

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2015, 01:19:50 PM »

I think anyone claiming they "accidentally" smoked weed is either lying or stuck on stupid from purposely smoking too much weed.  :lol

"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2015, 01:22:42 PM »
If the weed has a high THC level and a low CBD level, it'll cause paranoia, anxiety, and over-thinking (like thinking if this is really reality and if your dead). Reverse the levels and you've got a calm, soothing, mental state of mind.

I think thats a pretty broad statement.  I have met people who have been paranoid from marijuana use or have anxiety but I havent met someone who lost touch with reality.  I also know many people including myself who use high THC but dont experience any of that.  Also, I have never experienced a high CBD low THC marijuana, but my understanding was that CBD had no "high" effect.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2015, 02:24:54 PM »

While I suspect Bill smoked plenty of grass in his day, his remark is actually pretty common. Youngins often don't know how to properly inhale. You really gotta get it down deep in the lungs. If you're a newb and somebody passes you a joint it's not uncommon for you to just take a quick hit and blow it out. Then tell your constituency 25 years later "it didn't even do anything to me."
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2015, 02:30:23 PM »
Also, I have never experienced a high CBD low THC marijuana, but my understanding was that CBD had no "high" effect.
CBD is not psychoactive. It is what makes some smoke more mellow than others, however. They're both "gethighs" as far as I'm concerned. And if you've smoked an indica strain then you've smoked a high CBD/low TCH weed. Sativa will go the opposite direction. That's why one turns you into a couch-log and one prompts you to write operas.
E.F. Benson