Poll

Pick one!

Go on a Year-Long Tour celebrating 30 years of DT music!
Continue the usual write/record/release cycle and release DT13 later this year.
Do a small tour and record in the fall, DT13 to come out early 2016.
Do something else (elaborate in your reply)
Re-release the albums (someway, somehow, your idea can be in your reply)
Release a new compilation (which may or may not cover the Road Runner albums)

Author Topic: This year is Dream Theater's 30th Anniversary - Would you like them to do?  (Read 12500 times)

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
Re: This year is Dream Theater's 30th Anniversary - Would you like them to do?
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2015, 02:29:47 PM »
I just meant that it should EITHER be 30 years from when they first started CALLING themselves "Dream Theater," OR 30 years after the release of their first album.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2015, 03:50:38 PM »
If they want to call it 30 years in 2015, it's their call obviously. I don't think it has the same heft as the 20-year one though. That one happened right after SDOIT, and in hindsight that was exactly their peak.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2015, 04:02:25 PM »
If they want to call it 30 years in 2015, it's their call obviously. I don't think it has the same heft as the 20-year one though. That one happened right after SDOIT, and in hindsight that was exactly their peak.

Their 20th Anniversary happened after Octavarium, not SDOIT (which was released in 2002, 3 years prior). If you mean 8VM, do you still think that was "exactly their peak"? Or did you mean that the band's 17th Anniversary was their peak (right after SDOIT)?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2015, 04:40:54 PM »
i was going to mention that as well, Marc.

Maybe he meant that 2  or 3 years was a relatively short period of time.

However, I hope we can get back to the O.P.'s intent:
To say what we would want the band to do to celebrate their 30th anniversary.

I know what I said about a multi-format show played at M.S.G. is probably more of a fantasy than anything else,
but I don't think we have to be 100% realistic to propose what we would WANT the band to do on such an occasion.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2015, 05:32:27 PM »

Their 20th Anniversary happened after Octavarium, not SDOIT (which was released in 2002, 3 years prior). If you mean 8VM, do you still think that was "exactly their peak"? Or did you mean that the band's 17th Anniversary was their peak (right after SDOIT)?

-Marc.

Sorry, yeah, I was totally off on that one. They played SDOIT in its entirety on that show, so I thought it must have been after that.
I dunno. Either way, having been at that show myself, back in the day there just wasn't this long stretch of " autopilot albums" yet, so the celebration really celebrated an almost unbroken string of stellar albums. In my personal opinion, the 30th wound necessarily emphasize a lot of the albums of the last 10 years (otherwise it would just be a repeat of Score), and those albums are just more hit and miss.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2015, 07:04:43 PM »
Anyway, what I would like to see them do is play ONE big show-preferably here in the U.S., such as Madison Square Garden-where they would play one song from each album (preferably in chronological order), including "A Change of Seasons," and release it in ALL available formats, including vinyl, Cd, DVD, Blue-Ray, maybe even cassette.
Why not 8-track and VHS aswell? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2015, 07:11:58 PM »
In my personal opinion, the 30th wound necessarily emphasize a lot of the albums of the last 10 years (otherwise it would just be a repeat of Score), and those albums are just more hit and miss.

Huh?  They have more than enough songs from the early albums that weren't played at the Score show to help comprise a set list, if they opted to do a 30th anniversary show this year, which I don't think they will. 

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2015, 09:20:37 PM »
Release a new album. Release as many albums as they can while they can still play at a high level.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2015, 09:39:15 PM »
In my personal opinion, the 30th wound necessarily emphasize a lot of the albums of the last 10 years (otherwise it would just be a repeat of Score), and those albums are just more hit and miss.

Huh?  They have more than enough songs from the early albums that weren't played at the Score show to help comprise a set list

Pretty much THIS, even if you take into account the songs that were included on Score and songs that the band hasn't yet released with MM as their drummer, there's a TON of songs they could play from their earlier half of their career that they could perform in celebration of an anniversary.

WDADU - Anything but "Ytse Jam", "Afterlife" and "A Fortune In Lies"; "The Killing Hand" could make a come-back!
IAW - Well, they've played almost the ENTIRE album with MM, but the only one that hasn't been played is "Take The Time", and I'm sure that'll come back on the next tour (hopefully, although I bet it's mostly dependant on JLB's vocals)
Awake - basically "Erotomania" and "Voices"
FII & B-Sides - There's  TON of material here that's not featured on Score, LALP, Happy Holidays 2013, and BTFW
SFAM - "Beyond This Life", "Through Her Eyes" and "Home"
SDOIT - "The Glass Prison", "Blind Faith", "Misunderstood" and "Disappear"
TOT - Anything but "As I Am", "Endless Sacrifice" and "Vacant"
8VM - "Panic Attack" and "Never Enough"
SC - "Repentance" and "Prophets Of War" are the only ones that haven't been officially released (the rest were on CIM)
BC&SL - Anything, really, except "The Count Of Tuscany" (featured on Happy Holidays 2013)
ADTOE - They practically released the whole thing already on LALP, so anything doubled would be fine, although I'd hope they wouldn't choose OTBOA and BAI.
DT12 - The three songs they DIDN'T play last year, "Behind The Veil", "The Bigger Picture" and "Surrender To Reason".

Ideally, here's what I'd like to see played.

Set 1 -
"The Killing Hand" (with an epic intro video)
"Take The Time" (or UAGM if JLB's vocals cannot hit it)
"Erotomania/Voices"
"Take Away My Pain" (The '96 Version)
"Home"

Set 2 -
"The Glass Prison"
"This Dying Soul"
"Panic Attack"
"Prophets Of War"
"Wither"
"Bridges In The Sky"
"The Bigger Picture"

Encore -
"A Change Of Seasons"

Overall, it'd be about a 2.5 hour show with an intermission.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline marlencrabapple

« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2015, 11:49:36 PM »
I'd like them to put out an album with as much attention to detail as SDOIT, SFAM or Octavarium.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2015, 02:17:52 AM »
I'd like them to put out an album with as much attention to detail as SDOIT, SFAM or Octavarium.

Tbh, I think they spent quite a lot of attention to detail on Self Titled album. They seemed quite conscious of the bigger picture (lets pretend there's no bad puns here :P) and how it would be perceived as a single entity or experience.

But sort of in a different way to the "concept", or "themes" in the albums that you mentioned. Personally I'd be quite happy to see another conceptual or 'themed' album at this point. Could be a nice treat for the "30th" (or whatever it is) even though I think there's probably some people that have been hopeful for a concept album just about every release cycle... But maybe... Maybe it could happen this time.  :rollin
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 05:14:57 AM by Rodni Demental »

Offline Art

« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2015, 04:11:38 AM »
I really donīt know. I kind of want them to release new music, but i also want them to get a new perspective on the new album. I already said it, but i think that an outside producer would be so good for their sound. I mean, someone who could discuss ideas with the band and also help them get a better sounding record.

I was listening to JLBīs Elements of Persuasion and MMīs drums SOUND so much better than his studio work with DT...than i was checking to see who produced it and found:

Produced By James LaBrie & Matt Guillory
Engineered & Mixed By Richard Chycki

I mean, i donīt exactly know the extent of JLB in the actual production, maybe it was more Guillory or the Eng./Mixing guys, but how about some more input from JLB in DTīs production. Or just hire this team to produce/engineer/mix it?

ps: as always, sorry for the poor english

Calvin6s

« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2015, 04:52:42 AM »
I mean, i donīt exactly know the extent of JLB in the actual production, maybe it was more Guillory or the Eng./Mixing guys, but how about some more input from JLB in DTīs production.

JLB may not be the "initial spark" guy, but he does seem to have good opinions when it comes to deciding between A&B.  I base that off his comments in the drummer search reality show and his solo work.  I do think Guillory has a lot to do with the positives of the solo work.

Maybe add Guillory to the band.  I thought it was strange in the Lifting Shadows book where Rudess suggested there wasn't much room for him in the heavy songs.  He then brought up The Mirror.  That took me back because what made that song so damn heavy (especially the intro) was the depth the Moore's keys gave it.  Guillory could really step up in that area.  We've had dual guitar bands.  Why not dual keyboard bands?

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2015, 05:08:18 AM »
As much as I love almost everything Guillory's done with JLB, the duel keyboard thing could be tricky. Rudess is a pretty busy fella on the keys for example passages where he plays stuff with a single hand when many keyboardists would use two. Fun idea in theory, but in practice, really, what's he gonna do that Jordan can't? Apart from bring an alternative perspective or creative element. Which I suppose might be the point but... It'd almost seem like a little bit of an insult to JR, but then again he's a pretty open minded dude... Okay fine Matt Guillory can join Dream Theater, I'm sure he'd be stoked.   :lol

Edit:
My wish list: WDADU remixed, Score BR, hdtracks for all cds and a new cd. Is it so impossible?  :corn
And, yes, that DVD from the japanese show of black clouds tour!

Also, all of the above would be just fantastic  :tup

Ideally, here's what I'd like to see played.

Set 1 -
"The Killing Hand" (with an epic intro video)
"Take The Time" (or UAGM if JLB's vocals cannot hit it)
"Erotomania/Voices"
"Take Away My Pain" (The '96 Version)
"Home"

Set 2 -
"The Glass Prison"
"This Dying Soul"
"Panic Attack"
"Prophets Of War"
"Wither"
"Bridges In The Sky"
"The Bigger Picture"

Encore -
"A Change Of Seasons"

Dude... Amazing setlist. IMO that would make an absolutely awesome show. I wouldn't change anything except Take Away My Pain for New Millennium or more likely Lines in the Sand to represent FII. Even though those tracks have had more coverage... But I'd love to see them with the current incarnation of the band.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 05:34:35 AM by Rodni Demental »

Calvin6s

« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2015, 05:37:55 AM »
As much as I love almost everything Guillory's done with JLB, the duel keyboard thing could be tricky. ... what's he gonna do that Jordan can't?

Jordan is good for the prog *rock* side of the band, but IMO he lacks on the prog *metal* side of the band.  Guillory is just a more modern player.

Actually, I'd love a DT album that brings in some outside writers:  Moore, Sherinian and Guillory.  They all offer something unique and have a connection to the DT legacy.  Even if it is just 1-2 songs per dude.

Or even an album of songwriting collaborations of artists completely outside of the DT legacy.  Instead of flirting with a new style, they could actually work with some of the sources.  I think it would be a great album and have long term benefits.

I didn't just first like DT because they were prog and metal fused (with keyboards finally taking an almost equal role).  I was drawn to them because even though none of the singular elements were new, they combined to make a legitimate wow moment. 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2015, 06:12:11 AM »
They don't need anyone else contributing anything to keys, or to songwriting at all. I find that idea ridiculous and offensive given the talent of the band.

If JR is ever out of his element, they should perhaps reconsider their musical approach, because JR was completely in his element when they were writing their best material on SFAM and SDOIT, and he contributed hugely to the greatness of those albums. JR is arguably the biggest musical asset they have, but I think he's under-utilized.

I think the band have created a box for themselves in what they think they should bring to the table DT, which is why I think the last few albums have worn off quickly for me. I'd like them to take the approach of forgetting they're writing a DT album, and just go off the leash. There seems to be a widening divide between the musicians as they are in DT, and the musicians they are outside of DT. Every time I hear something from a side project or clinic or live jam or whatever, I too often think "I wish they'd do that in DT."

What I'd love to hear from the next album is for every member to bring a wider range of their own influences and styles and come up with something fresh, rather than trying to meet in the middle and coming up with something too familiar.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2015, 06:14:27 AM »
I'd like DT to play in CT again. It's been like 6 years.

Calvin6s

« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2015, 06:46:42 AM »
They don't need anyone else contributing anything to keys, or to songwriting at all. I find that idea ridiculous and offensive given the talent of the band.

Collaborating with other musicians is offensive?  Interesting.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2015, 06:58:25 AM »

The bit about having other keyboardists yes, not the in general bit.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Art

« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2015, 07:16:12 AM »

If JR is ever out of his element, they should perhaps reconsider their musical approach, because JR was completely in his element when they were writing their best material on SFAM and SDOIT, and he contributed hugely to the greatness of those albums. JR is arguably the biggest musical asset they have, but I think he's under-utilized.

I think the band have created a box for themselves in what they think they should bring to the table DT, which is why I think the last few albums have worn off quickly for me. I'd like them to take the approach of forgetting they're writing a DT album, and just go off the leash. There seems to be a widening divide between the musicians as they are in DT, and the musicians they are outside of DT. Every time I hear something from a side project or clinic or live jam or whatever, I too often think "I wish they'd do that in DT."

What I'd love to hear from the next album is for every member to bring a wider range of their own influences and styles and come up with something fresh, rather than trying to meet in the middle and coming up with something too familiar.

Perfect! Thatīs what i think regarding songwriting.

As for the Guillory suggestion, as far as iīm concerned it would be in a producer capacity, not as a musician. While i donīt think they need another musician in the band (far from it) i do think some outside input would be good.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2015, 07:47:52 AM »

A bit, yes.  I see no reason the band would want to actually collaborate on a DT song with anyone else.  No one else does what they do as well as they do it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2015, 09:11:27 AM »
Well, that said, maybe a "collaboration album" would be a cool idea. That is, for each song they collaborate with a different artist.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2015, 10:26:12 AM »
Well, that said, maybe a "collaboration album" would be a cool idea. That is, for each song they collaborate with a different artist.
I don't know.  Maybe, like you said, as a special one-off project.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Calvin6s

« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2015, 10:52:35 AM »

A bit, yes.  I see no reason the band would want to actually collaborate on a DT song with anyone else.  No one else does what they do as well as they do it.

Collaborations are usually a win-win-win.  The two artists set up a crossover of fans.  Artists have influences.  Collaborating is like having an influence on steroids.  And the fans usually get some timeless music out of it.

Michael Jackson / Paul McCartney:  One was Rock Royalty.  The other the King of Pop.  Good thing their egos stayed out of it.

Daft Punk / Pharrell:  I just casually liked them prior to this.  Together, they were magic

Korn / Dubstep artists:  A lot of people don't like that album (usually close minded metal rockers).  I love it.

Mike Patton / Serj Tankian:  Awesome song

EVH / Michael Jackson

Tom Petty / Stevie Nicks

Queen / David Bowie

Petrucci / Desmond Child

I guess you can look at a collaboration as offensive, if you are defensive.   Do people really think they've got it ALL covered and they can no longer learn from others?

DT is always looking to do something different than their last albums.  This definitely qualifies.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2015, 11:11:57 AM »
I don't know.  Maybe, like you said, as a special one-off project.

Oh, obviously not as a permanent thing. But, I think it would make for a really interesting album to see other influences mixed in with theirs.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2015, 11:30:15 AM »

Completely agreed. This whole concept of "this is what we should play as DT" should stop i think, i mean listening to older material, there is such a variety in terms of influences and styles, and now it's just metal riffing with some keys thrown in between, maybe a little bit of a technical passage and that's it. I feel that the formula definitely needs a shakeup.

It seems that the band is so focused on keeping the fans satisfied and not doing anything too different that it feels like they have a factory of DT sounds that just get in the mix and released as an album. That's a personal opinion of course and i don't want to say that the band doesn't put love and their soul into their music, it just feels so uninspired, mostly on DT12. Jordan did some amazing things on LMR, his first DT albums and LTE, he is such a talent that seems to just get a bit of the spotlight in between JP's metal riffing these days. JP producing the albums i think has a big effect on how the band sounds and composes, and i would love to see all the other members having a bigger role in both the sonic production and the songwriting decisions.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2015, 12:22:08 PM »

Collaborations are usually a win-win-win.  The two artists set up a crossover of fans.  Artists have influences.  Collaborating is like having an influence on steroids.  And the fans usually get some timeless music out of it.

Michael Jackson / Paul McCartney:  One was Rock Royalty.  The other the King of Pop.  Good thing their egos stayed out of it.

Daft Punk / Pharrell:  I just casually liked them prior to this.  Together, they were magic

Korn / Dubstep artists:  A lot of people don't like that album (usually close minded metal rockers).  I love it.

Mike Patton / Serj Tankian:  Awesome song

EVH / Michael Jackson

Tom Petty / Stevie Nicks

Queen / David Bowie

Petrucci / Desmond Child

I guess you can look at a collaboration as offensive, if you are defensive.   Do people really think they've got it ALL covered and they can no longer learn from others?

DT is always looking to do something different than their last albums.  This definitely qualifies.
I can't imagine any of those as being really comparable to DT collaborating with anyone.  It's normally one artist collaborating with another, as most of your examples are.  I just don't see the benefit for DT in collaborating with anyone else, and I have no idea who else would even want to do so.

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2015, 12:25:23 PM »
I said this in another thread, but I'd like them to record some of their old songs, with a new light (like Haken's Restoration) maybe some of the stuff from 1986-89, and a few of the "not on an album" songs like Eve.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2015, 12:37:03 PM »
I think the most likely scenario, and also the one I would probably MOST like to see, is a variation of #2.  I think they will do a new album, and then the tour will be for the new album AND their 30th anniversary.  That is consistent with what they have done in the past anyway.

And as far as when their 30th is, they have always used 1985 as the benchmark, so I would not expect that to change.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2015, 12:43:52 PM »
Eve is perfect as is, no need to re-record it.

Not sure of the motivation to rework any of the older stuff.  JP and JM are the only ones left from that era, and neither of them seem very fond of that output (nor should they).

« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2015, 12:44:18 PM »
I think the most likely scenario, and also the one I would probably MOST like to see, is a variation of #2.  I think they will do a new album, and then the tour will be for the new album AND their 30th anniversary.
Yeah, despite what I want, that's the most likely scenario

« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2015, 12:46:02 PM »

Not sure of the motivation to rework any of the older stuff.  JP and JM are the only ones left from that era, and neither of them seem very fond of that output (nor should they).
Are they? I didn't know about JP & JMs dislike of that music. I would think they may perform some old songs live, at least. Maybe something similar to the 25th Anniversary?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2015, 01:04:26 PM »

+1

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2015, 01:10:41 PM »

Are they? I didn't know about JP & JMs dislike of that music. I would think they may perform some old songs live, at least. Maybe something similar to the 25th Anniversary?

I'm not sure "dislike" may be the most accurate word.  But what we do know is that Portnoy mentioned that when they put Another Won in the set on the Octavarium tour, he said he had to really push for it because JP and JM did not really think the Majesty-era material was all that great.  And I seem to recall similar comments once or twice in other contexts as well.  And despite Mike's tendency to overstate things from time to time, it seemed to ring pretty true. 

Also, keep in mind that there really isn't a lot of unreleased material out there from that era.  As far as I know, the Majesty demos pretty much covered everything they had put together, and in terms of complete songs, there were only a handful.  Not sure it warrants a re-record project.  Maybe pulling one of them out in a live setting on the tour could be realistic.  But beyond that, I wouldn't hold my breath.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni