Poll

Pick one!

Go on a Year-Long Tour celebrating 30 years of DT music!
Continue the usual write/record/release cycle and release DT13 later this year.
Do a small tour and record in the fall, DT13 to come out early 2016.
Do something else (elaborate in your reply)
Re-release the albums (someway, somehow, your idea can be in your reply)
Release a new compilation (which may or may not cover the Road Runner albums)

Author Topic: This year is Dream Theater's 30th Anniversary - Would you like them to do?  (Read 12503 times)

Online The Letter M

It's now 2015, which means Dream Theater should be celebrating their 30th Anniversary sometime this year. Or, at least, we'd all hope so!

With the anniversary coming and no real news from the band as of yet, how would you like to see them go about celebrating this milestone this year? You can PICK TWO options, but please be sure to pick two that do NOT contradict each other, so from the first 3, pick one, and then another if you'd like.

Option 1 - Go on a new tour, possibly headlining, with a long "Evening With" setlist that covers the band's whole discography, or perhaps brings out some rarities that haven't been played in awhile ("A Change Of Seasons" maybe?).

Option 2 - Go about their cycle as usual. Go into the studio this Winter/Spring, write and record a new album, promote it over the summer with some Festival shows, release it in the fall and do a short Fall Tour leg in Europe and/or NA.

Option 3 - Continue the tour on DT12 and swap out some songs for the ones that hadn't been played yet, then go into the studio this Summer/Fall, and release the next album early next year in 2016.

Option 4 - You pick! Come up with your own idea and explain it in your reply.

Option 5 - Do a catalog-wide re-release, either in order or random, by month or all at once. You can pick however you'd like and explain your ideas for a re-release/remaster/remix series.

Option 6 - Their last compilation came out over almost 7 years ago, but only covered their 2nd-8th studio albums. Since then, they've released 4 more studio albums, and could possibly do a RR-era compilation and throw in some bonus live tracks of rarer stuff (perhaps live versions of "Prophets Of War" and "A Nightmare To Remember" from the BC&SL tour?). Endless possibilities here.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 01:51:58 PM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
I said it in the other thread as well, but I'd be much more interested in a new LMR and JP's second solo album. So, option 4 I guess.
I'm definitely not very keen on touring of old material. Or the rerelease of such material.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 09:11:25 PM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Calvin6s

Do something else

Do whatever they need to do to shake things up in the writing process.  That could be whatever they feel they need.  Take an extended break (like 4-12 months), take more time in the writing process, short jam stints with people outside DT to get fresh perspectives, tinker with other genres, give Myung the time he needs to develop his ideas, whatever.  They would know better what they need to do than I would.  But just really push themselves to expand into new territories.  Not change, just expand.  As a long time fan, it isn't that their new releases have been less than, but it is hard to recapture that initial 6-8 years of first discovering them.  Too much familiarity.

Or they could just look at the anniversary gift charts and see 30 is pearl, but I really don't want a DTIFC 30th anniversary sex tape release.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
I want them to play my 46th birthday party, we'll have punch and pie.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
perhaps live versions of "Prophets Of War" and "A Nightmare To Remember" from the BC&SL tour?
This is an awful idea.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sycsa

I said it in the other thread as well, but I'd be much more interested in a new LMR and JP's second solo album. So, option 4 I guess
Do something else

Do whatever they need to do to shake things up in the writing process.  That could be whatever they feel they need.  Take an extended break (like 4-12 months), take more time in the writing process, short jam stints with people outside DT to get fresh perspectives, tinker with other genres, give Myung the time he needs to develop his ideas, whatever.  They would know better what they need to do than I would.  But just really push themselves to expand into new territories.  Not change, just expand.  As a long time fan, it isn't that their new releases have been less than, but it is hard to recapture that initial 6-8 years of first discovering them.  Too much familiarity.
I cannot relate to these opinions at the slightest. Partially because of my classic prog "background", I'm used to bands going to shit after 3-4 albums and to this date, I'm utterly amazed that after more than two decades and a dozen of albums, DT still has moments which rival their very best and they're still very much pushing the envelope. So, yeah, I definitely want a new album as soon as possible, as often as possible. Even if we had one good song every new album and the rest would blow, I'd still eagerly wait for it. That's far from the case though, nearly every song on ADTOE and DT12 is excellent.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
I want them to play my 46th birthday party, we'll have punch and pie.

I definitely want a BluRay of this.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
Have them do something like Coheed and Cambria's Neverender shows. Play each album live. Doesn't have to be a big tour, doesn't even have to be every week.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Can I still complain that it shouldn't be 30 years yet?  2019 should be 30 years. Also release a new album an tour for it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
My wish list: WDADU remixed, Score BR, hdtracks for all cds and a new cd. Is it so impossible?  :corn
And, yes, that DVD from the japanese show of black clouds tour!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: This year is Dream Theater's 30th Anniversary - Would you like them to do?
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2015, 06:47:42 AM »
Can I still complain that it shouldn't be 30 years yet?  2019 should be 30 years. Also release a new album an tour for it.

This. 

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2015, 06:50:57 AM »
I always go by the year they were formed, not the year of the first album. Seems most logical to me.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2015, 07:06:01 AM »
Well, to use the couples analogy again, my parents celebrate their wedding anniversary every year, not the anniversary of their first date.  A first album is the band equivalent of getting married in this example.  Yes, I went there. :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2015, 07:10:26 AM »
Did your parents get remarried every 2-3 years? Band's don't get "married" when an album is released. :marriageanalogy:

Regardless of anyone's opinion, 1985 has been established as the band's anniversary. If I'd been in a band for 4 years before releasing my first album, I don't see why I'd consider the album my band's anniversary, or why those years of playing and writing wouldn't count. Not to mention that WDADU isn't a milestone I'd want to bring attention to. :biggrin:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2015, 07:13:51 AM »
Getting a baby would be the equivalent of releasing an album.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2015, 07:23:30 AM »
A BAND IS NOT A MARRIAGE! THIS DOESN'T WORK! :lol :marriageanalogy:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2015, 07:44:17 AM »
This is my request:
Do an half-year-tour celebrating 30th anniversary and and then release an EP with couple of live songs/re-recorded older songs/maybe a new song or another! Name it "Midlife Crisis".  :D

AND BLOB IS RIGHT FOLKS. THEY HAVE BEEN A BAND FOR 30 YEARS, NOT RELEASING MUSIC 30 YEARS. DT DID THEIR 20TH ANNIVERSARY IN 2005, NOT IN 2009! HA!  :police:
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 07:52:52 AM by YtseJamittaja »
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2015, 07:47:32 AM »

If you are counting when Jordan joined... But Mangini joined in 2010.

EDIT.  My bad. You meant 1989.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2015, 07:48:15 AM »
I always go by the year they were formed, not the year of the first album. Seems most logical to me.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2015, 07:55:29 AM »
Except that just about ever band uses he release of their first album as the benchmark.

Either way, new album please!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2015, 08:09:18 AM »
Except that just about ever band uses he release of their first album as the benchmark.

Metallica played their 30th anniversary shows in 2011 to celebrate their formation in 1981. Not in 2013 to celebrate Kill 'Em All being released in 2013. Celebrations of albums are different and should be different.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2015, 08:14:31 AM »
Considering that not every member considers 1985 the start of the band (*cough* JLB *cough*), I doubt there'll be any special celebration this year. If it was up to me, they'd play a 30th anniversary tour with a setlist including the unplayed DT12 songs, fan favorites from all the other albums, a few B-sides like Don't Look Past Me, and ACOS as an encore. This would also break the "new album every 2 years" cycle and perhaps shake up their songwriting routine a little bit.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2015, 08:29:38 AM »
I would love to see them do a small tour in the States as that would give me a chance to see them! After that, I'd like to get a new album.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2015, 08:57:24 AM »
What Sycsa said.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2015, 08:59:32 AM »

Metallica played their 30th anniversary shows in 2011 to celebrate their formation in 1981. Not in 2013 to celebrate Kill 'Em All being released in 2013. Celebrations of albums are different and should be different.

You should read.  I did day "almost".

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2015, 11:33:28 AM »

no you didn't.  :huh:

anyway, on topic... I want a new album by years end with a bonus disc of a 30th Anniversary Majesty EP: re-recordings of the six Majesty songs. Then an evening with tour where they play at least one song from every album, and maybe pick 13 cities to play one of their albums in full... that would be a good year, but tough on the band as they would have to (re)learn pretty much all their songs.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 11:38:42 AM by OpenYourEyes311 »
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2015, 11:35:02 AM »

He almost daid it. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2015, 12:35:20 PM »
If I were to use that stupid marriage analogy, I would say that the first album is like the wedding. When the band forms would be like when you started dating. No one celebrates the anniversary of that.

But I'm not going to use that analogy.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2015, 12:47:07 PM »
Considering that not every member considers 1985 the start of the band (*cough* JLB *cough*),
Of course JLB doesn't, he joined much later! :p I think it's up to JP and JM to decide. DT, be it because of MP or otherwise, is pretty unique in that they've drawn quite a bit of attention to their career before the debut album. A lot of bands won't talk about their history before then, let alone release music from it. I think it makes sense to count those pre-WDADU years. It depends on the band really. A band like Rush should just count the year of their debut.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline 425

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2015, 12:57:40 PM »
I voted for "continue the usual write/record cycle," because I'd honestly rather have a new album than a special tour of any sort. But it somewhat surprises me that they've been able to continue such a fast cycle for so long, so it wouldn't necessarily shock me if they wanted switch it up or take a break either (which I wouldn't mind them doing if they needed to).
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2015, 01:01:13 PM »
They already established this when they released Score and called it 20th anniversary, that's as bounding as it can get. Imagine a new fan checking out their discography, how would this look?

2006 - 20th anniversary
2019 - 30th anniversary

End of discussion :P

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2015, 01:09:21 PM »

anyway, on topic... I want a new album by years end with a bonus disc of a 30th Anniversary Majesty EP: re-recordings of the six Majesty songs. Then an evening with tour where they play at least one song from every album, and maybe pick 13 cities to play one of their albums in full... that would be a good year, but tough on the band as they would have to (re)learn pretty much all their songs.

Enough with this semantics crap.  Just about  is the same as almost.  Get over it.

I get a kick out of the Defenders of bands.  I know for a fact that I'm a bigger DT homer than you are.  Challenge me, I dare you.  I've seen every tour but 1.  Try.

They already established this when they released Score and called it 20th anniversary, that's as bounding as it can get. Imagine a new fan checking out their discography, how would this look?

2006 - 20th anniversary
2019 - 30th anniversary

End of discussion :P

No not really. I couldn't care less if the band thins that way.  First album, first year.  I do not tell people I've been together with my wife for 23 years.  I tell them we've been married 20 years. 

Don't give me that bad analogy crap either.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2015, 02:08:58 PM »
I cannot relate to these opinions at the slightest. Partially because of my classic prog "background", I'm used to bands going to shit after 3-4 albums and to this date, I'm utterly amazed that after more than two decades and a dozen of albums, DT still has moments which rival their very best and they're still very much pushing the envelope. So, yeah, I definitely want a new album as soon as possible, as often as possible. Even if we had one good song every new album and the rest would blow, I'd still eagerly wait for it. That's far from the case though, nearly every song on ADTOE and DT12 is excellent.

Yeah, probably no too surprisingly it all depends on how you grade their recent output. If you think it was all great, then clearly you wouldn't want then to change. I personally find they've stagnated for too long and are in dear need of an inspiration.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2015, 02:14:23 PM »

Weren't they called "Majesty" in 1985?

Also, I do believe at the time they didn't have a singer, or a recording contract, or anything.

So it should be at least one more year before the "Official 30th Anniversary of Dream Theater."

Anyway, what I would like to see them do is play ONE big show-preferably here in the U.S., such as Madison Square Garden-where they would play one song from each album (preferably in chronological order), including "A Change of Seasons," and release it in ALL available formats, including vinyl, Cd, DVD, Blue-Ray, maybe even cassette.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2015, 02:19:00 PM »
They want to call it 30 years,  that's cool.  I'll still go and still love every minute of it but "Most" bands (Are you happy now?) celebrate from the release of their first album with a professional contract.