Author Topic: Advice from fellow office workers  (Read 1358 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Advice from fellow office workers
« on: December 19, 2014, 09:57:33 PM »
I recently changed jobs back in October and am working in an office again, sitting down 40 hours a week, and I am feeling it in my back.  My back seems to be sore pretty frequently now, like it's always in knots from sitting down all day.  I stretch when I can, I sit properly at my desk, my chair is fine, and I get up and move around pretty often so I am never sitting non-stop for too long, but the soreness is hanging on.  It's nothing that restricts any movements, but I often have that feeling like any one sudden movement could wreak havoc, and it's kind of frustrating.  I've tried to get back into lifting weights again recently, too, but that seemed to make it hurt a little more, and I didn't even do any kind of heavy lifting; I went light to ease back into it and it still didn't help. 

Just wondering who else here has has that problem before and what you've done about it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Advice from fellow office workers
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 09:59:56 PM »
Oh, and for full disclosure, I am not really overweight, but I always have that "I could probably lose 10 lbs out of my belly" feeling.  But, at 41, I am still in pretty good shape for the most part.  It's just that any extra weight I've ever had always goes straight to my gut, even when I was younger and very trim.  I'm 5'11" and around 200 lbs now.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 10:04:22 PM »
Make sure that your computer screen is at eye level. I recently saw a report that this issue singlehandedly is responsible for a whole host of current and future back and neck problems for people. You literally should look at the screen facing forward with your head level. Any dip in your chin to look at the screen is a recipe for both short and long term problems.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 10:31:59 PM »
Standing desk, if you can. I have one (with a bar stool for the last few hours of the work day) and it's awesome.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 10:33:24 PM »
Kev, I always try to make sure I get up and walk a bit as well throughout the day. I really don't stay seated for longer than an hour at any given point when I'm in the office all day. I make sure to get up....grab some coffee or some water.....talk with some co-workers....whatever it is. I just don't sit in one spot all day. I still manage to accomplish my tasks despite moving around in what could be considered a lot.

I know you mentioned the other night it was a new job....what kind of 'gig' is it? Where did you end up?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 10:39:25 PM »
Make sure that your computer screen is at eye level. I recently saw a report that this issue singlehandedly is responsible for a whole host of current and future back and neck problems for people. You literally should look at the screen facing forward with your head level. Any dip in your chin to look at the screen is a recipe for both short and long term problems.

I made that adjustment pretty quickly.  I think I was at an arc early on where my eye level was a tad higher that the screen, but I lowered my chair so I am looking directly at the computer screen with my head not tilted forwards or backwards.

Standing desk, if you can. I have one (with a bar stool for the last few hours of the work day) and it's awesome.

That would be awesome, but I don't see it being an option where I am. 

I know you mentioned the other night it was a new job....what kind of 'gig' is it? Where did you end up?

Without going into great detail, I work in logistics now for a trucking company.  It's very meticulous work, but it's a good fit for me.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 10:39:31 PM »

Been looking into that myself, or one of those adjustable varidesk type platforms you sit on that desk that allows both standing and sitting. I don't get any kind of pains, but all of that sitting is catching up to me lately in terms of general health.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 11:16:42 PM »
I've been in an office job for nearly 30 years and definitely know how it can affect your back.  In addition to what TempusVox said about the monitor being at eye level, also make sure that the height of the chair allows your knees to be level with your hips.  I also shift positions in my chair often and try to keep my feet flat on the floor.  Hope it works out for you Kev.  It may just be a matter of getting into a routine and your back pain should settle down.  :)
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 11:35:01 PM »
Kev, I always try to make sure I get up and walk a bit as well throughout the day. I really don't stay seated for longer than an hour at any given point when I'm in the office all day. I make sure to get up....grab some coffee or some water.....talk with some co-workers....whatever it is. I just don't sit in one spot all day. I still manage to accomplish my tasks despite moving around in what could be considered a lot.

This is basically what I do as well.  I make sure to get up and stretch out my legs.  I've had back problems for close to twenty years and whatever I can do to alleviate further trouble I take seriously.

Calvin6s

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 01:56:02 AM »

#7 works great for me.

If you have enough floor space in your office, it gives some great relief.  If you can't do it at work, even doing it at home seems to provide benefits.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2014, 08:12:58 AM »
Last week I emailed to myself at my work email some stretches I can do while sitting at my desk, so I am hoping those help.  All are ones that I can do while sitting working, and laying down on the floor in front of my cubicle is probably not something I am gonna do. :lol :lol

I've been in an office job for nearly 30 years and definitely know how it can affect your back.  In addition to what TempusVox said about the monitor being at eye level, also make sure that the height of the chair allows your knees to be level with your hips.  I also shift positions in my chair often and try to keep my feet flat on the floor.  Hope it works out for you Kev.  It may just be a matter of getting into a routine and your back pain should settle down.  :)

That's what I am hoping. :coolio

I've had back problems for close to twenty years and whatever I can do to alleviate further trouble I take seriously.

I used to have them a lot in my mid to late 20s, so I know what to look for and what this or that feels like as far as when it will start to flare up or whatever.  That is why I am trying to be proactive now while it's simply in that "slightly achy" phase.  I don't want it to get worse.  I've said it for years: back pain is the worst.