Author Topic: The Sony Hacks  (Read 21366 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: The Sony Hacks
« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2014, 02:04:59 PM »
Well, actually, no.  "America" could not have collectively "shrugged" if "America" was collectively unaware the movie even existed, which seems to be the case.  It isn't a matter of people not caring.  It is a matter of insufficient marketing to even make people aware of its existence.
But I'm pretty sure The Interview was not heavily marketed in North Korea but it still became an issue.

"America not caring about something" doesn't necessarily mean everyone hears about it and says that they don't care (if everyone hears about it it's probably only because people do care about it). That movie was made and released and some people / the press presumably knew about it and saw it and yet it wasn't picked up by the media to become a story. So we know a movie about assassinating the current president can be released without becoming national news or a major issue (which is not necessarily the same as saying that if every individual was forced to watch it that they wouldn't have a problem about it, but it's what's being meant here).

Too many assumptions in your post.  But I will reiterate:  the ONLY thing we know is that a movie was made on a VERY small scale and that only a VERY small number of people knew about it.  We know nothing about whether anyone actually cared about it or not.  The same can be said for thousands of movies made in people's basements on low budget that similarly never see the light of day.  We have no idea how much people would or would not care because nobody ever heard of them. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: December 17, 2014, 02:34:41 PM »
Well, actually, no.  "America" could not have collectively "shrugged" if "America" was collectively unaware the movie even existed, which seems to be the case.  It isn't a matter of people not caring.  It is a matter of insufficient marketing to even make people aware of its existence.
But I'm pretty sure The Interview was not heavily marketed in North Korea but it still became an issue.

"America not caring about something" doesn't necessarily mean everyone hears about it and says that they don't care (if everyone hears about it it's probably only because people do care about it). That movie was made and released and some people / the press presumably knew about it and saw it and yet it wasn't picked up by the media to become a story. So we know a movie about assassinating the current president can be released without becoming national news or a major issue (which is not necessarily the same as saying that if every individual was forced to watch it that they wouldn't have a problem about it, but it's what's being meant here).

Too many assumptions in your post.  But I will reiterate:  the ONLY thing we know is that a movie was made on a VERY small scale and that only a VERY small number of people knew about it.  We know nothing about whether anyone actually cared about it or not.  The same can be said for thousands of movies made in people's basements on low budget that similarly never see the light of day.  We have no idea how much people would or would not care because nobody ever heard of them.

But it won an award at the Toronto Film festival, you cant compare it to a film from someones basement.  I agree that it wasnt large enough for a mass audience to be aware of it, but clearly many people were aware and it was never made a big deal enough for the rest of us to be aware of it.  Sort of like this:

I knew basically nothing about The Interview before this whole debacle

Edit: I am watching CNN in the employee lounge here and they just brought up the fact that there was previously a released movie of Bush getting killed and made the same comparison.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 02:50:40 PM by cramx3 »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: December 17, 2014, 02:36:12 PM »
Also should add:

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/the-interview-pulled-amc-regal-cinemark-105457697412.html

Regal Entertainment, AMC Entertainment, Cinemark, Carmike Cinemas and Cineplex Entertainment have all decided against showing the film.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #73 on: December 17, 2014, 02:37:33 PM »
I can't speak for other countries, but the way The Interview has been marketed here in the U.S., you would almost have to live under a rock not to know anything about it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #74 on: December 17, 2014, 02:48:17 PM »
For the record, this is the first I've heard of the movie.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2014, 02:49:45 PM »
I would feel a lot more strongly if that movie had any cinematic value. As it is, summary of the events so far is "Shit movie enrages junk country. Shit movie gets pulled."
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2014, 02:51:22 PM »
CNN just reported on TV that Sony may be releasing the movie as a paid stream online.  They are going to make so much money if that happens.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2014, 03:03:32 PM »
I would laugh so much if this movie would become a money hit for Seth Rogen.

Quote from: From wiki
In June 2014 North Korea threatened a "merciless" retaliation on the USA if it did not ban the forthcoming comedy film The Interview, labelling the movie "an act of war" and a "wanton act of terror" and Rogen himself a "gangster filmmaker".
:rollin

I mean come on, we're talking about this guy:

https://youtu.be/NPBiMU2yI3c

:lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Calvin6s

« Reply #78 on: December 17, 2014, 03:06:47 PM »
a
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 11:00:25 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: December 17, 2014, 03:53:53 PM »
Being reported on CNN TV that North Korea is confirmed to be behind the hack.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #80 on: December 17, 2014, 04:03:04 PM »
It would be some stupid shit if the United States and North Korea went to war over a movie.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #81 on: December 17, 2014, 04:05:40 PM »
I wonder if this is being presented in North Korea as an actual assassination attempt. If so, it would be so easy to get all of their citizens on board with more US hatred.

Calvin6s

« Reply #82 on: December 17, 2014, 04:30:56 PM »
a
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 11:00:38 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline Skeever

« Reply #83 on: December 17, 2014, 04:39:07 PM »
I can't speak for other countries, but the way The Interview has been marketed here in the U.S., you would almost have to live under a rock not to know anything about it.
This.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #84 on: December 17, 2014, 04:47:35 PM »
Sony Pictures Cancels Holiday Release of ‘The Interview’ After Threats

Christ, what a chickenshit nation we've become. I've been pretty outspoken about America being the land of pussies for many years now, but this amazes even me. Congratulations, America, the French are now rightly laughing at your shameful display of cowardliness.  :lol

What happens when some intelligent and articulate Star Trek nerd decides to intimidate a studio into not releasing some crappy JJ Abrams looking laser-fest? This 'threat' was about as serious as "don't you dare mess with Egypt!" and look at the results. Bogus threats can only get better from here. Besides which, it's North Korea, the least intimidating nation on Earth! My God, what if the Belgians decided to start intimidating us?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #85 on: December 17, 2014, 04:48:57 PM »
My God, what if the Belgians decided to start intimidating us?

:rollin
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: December 17, 2014, 04:49:44 PM »
 :rollin :rollin
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #87 on: December 17, 2014, 04:59:42 PM »
My God, what if the Belgians decided to start intimidating us?
:lol

Christ, what a chickenshit nation we've become. I've been pretty outspoken about America being the land of pussies for many years now, but this amazes even me. Congratulations, America, the French are now rightly laughing at your shameful display of cowardliness.  :lol

What happens when some intelligent and articulate Star Trek nerd decides to intimidate a studio into not releasing some crappy JJ Abrams looking laser-fest? This 'threat' was about as serious as "don't you dare mess with Egypt!" and look at the results. Bogus threats can only get better from here. Besides which, it's North Korea, the least intimidating nation on Earth! My God, what if the Belgians decided to start intimidating us?
Serious question, have there ever been any actual violent acts in the US from North Korea besides the gazillions of empty threats?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #88 on: December 17, 2014, 05:00:29 PM »
Apparently sources say the FBI have officially found a connection to North Korea.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #89 on: December 17, 2014, 05:01:19 PM »
I could be missing something here, but didn't we "officially" know that right from the get-go?

Offline emtee

« Reply #90 on: December 17, 2014, 05:07:51 PM »

Sadly I agree but you have to understand the world we live in. IF...Sony would have gone through with the release and IF any
death or violence came as a result the media would have shredded them into bits asking "why didin't you heed the threats?"
In addition, there would have been multiple lawsuits filed against them. You total all that up and you are potentially looking
the the demise of Sony Pictures. So as a company they decided to play it safe for now and go into CYA mode. Completely
understandable IMO. I would bet we will see the movie in a few months after all the dust has settlled.

I am very curious to see what our government response will be. I hope it is very strong. It needs to send an unmistakable message.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #91 on: December 17, 2014, 05:11:13 PM »
Apparently sources say the FBI have officially found a connection to North Korea.
Wouldn't that make it even more laughable as a threat once they did?

Serious question, have there ever been any actual violent acts in the US from North Korea besides the gazillions of empty threats?
In the US? To the best of my knowledge the only domestic attacks have come from Yemenis, Afghans, a whole bunch of Sauds, (coincidentally all US allies) and other Americans. External acts would expand the list, but I'm not sure DRPK would make it. They might have painted US aircraft once or twice, but I don't recall anything ever coming of it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Calvin6s

« Reply #92 on: December 17, 2014, 05:25:08 PM »
a
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 11:00:59 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: December 17, 2014, 05:25:26 PM »
I could be missing something here, but didn't we "officially" know that right from the get-go?

No, but it was largely assumed based on the threat.

Not that I am aware of.  From my knowledge of watching North Korea documentaries, the people there who get out of the country have no ill feelings towards the US and the brainwashed people who have not gotten out of the country have no ways of actually harming the homeland of the US.  The North Korea army while having many people, have no technology to actually engage in any sort of real war.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #94 on: December 17, 2014, 05:51:16 PM »
I wonder if this is being presented in North Korea as an actual assassination attempt. If so, it would be so easy to get all of their citizens on board with more US hatred.
Look citizens, our extensive global spy network has obtained footage of an American plot to assassinate our beloved leader!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #95 on: December 17, 2014, 05:53:29 PM »
Look citizens, our extensive global spy network has obtained footage of an American plot to assassinate our beloved leader!

......And they sent their two best stoned assassins!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #96 on: December 17, 2014, 05:56:13 PM »

Not that I am aware of.  From my knowledge of watching North Korea documentaries, the people there who get out of the country have no ill feelings towards the US and the brainwashed people who have not gotten out of the country have no ways of actually harming the homeland of the US.  The North Korea army while having many people, have no technology to actually engage in any sort of real war.
In the US? To the best of my knowledge the only domestic attacks have come from Yemenis, Afghans, a whole bunch of Sauds, (coincidentally all US allies) and other Americans. External acts would expand the list, but I'm not sure DRPK would make it. They might have painted US aircraft once or twice, but I don't recall anything ever coming of it.
Yea that's what I figured, so i'm a bit puzzled why anyone would take this so seriously. Why on earth would they do something now over a stupid comedy?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: December 17, 2014, 06:06:57 PM »
Poor Kim Jong Un - So Ronery :emo:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: December 17, 2014, 06:13:36 PM »

Calvin6s

« Reply #99 on: December 17, 2014, 06:17:04 PM »
a
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 11:01:12 PM by Calvin6s »

Calvin6s

« Reply #100 on: December 17, 2014, 06:23:15 PM »
a
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 11:01:24 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: December 17, 2014, 06:34:20 PM »
Poor Kim Jong Un - So Ronery :emo:

The Kim dynasty does seem infatuated with Hollywood's acceptance.  Maybe a trip to the shrink can fix all this.

What I find amusing is Kim Jong Un was a huge american movie buff.  While illegal in his country, he supposedly has hundreds of American movies on DVD.  AND Team America which totally made fun of him, was released while he was still alive and yet never did anything.  And now, look what happens.  I find it really amusing and interesting, hence my contributions to this thread.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #102 on: December 17, 2014, 07:20:09 PM »
Here's the thing... this world is fucking bat shit crazy. I don't blame Sony for cancelling the premiere. If in the off chance something DID happen at the premiere, Sony would be beyond screwed. If these hackers decided to expand there little charade (we don't know their skill set) and started to target people's banks accounts or the electrical grid, all the blame would be placed on Sony.
The movie was ill advised to begin with, imo. I for one don't think the threats are credible, but that being said I would air on the side of caution and not go to the theater to see it. Their are a lot of sick people in this world as we all know and its not worth any risk as far as I'm concerned.

Making a film about assassinating a real leader of a real country is dumb and looking for trouble in a world that already has more than it needs at the moment.

Those in America who see it as goof ball comedy might not feel as such if a North Korean comedy came out about a plot to kill Obama. Or how about a comedy being make in another country about a bunch of screwball white cops that like to kill black people for jay walking. Sometimes things are harmless fun unless they strike a nerve for you personally.
That's just my two cents.

I agree with this, and is exactly how I feel on the issue.

The Hackers may feel the same way, and are trying to prevent outrage from NK at how it'll either flop or be a hit.

I swear the premise is stupid, and is a cash grab at how far the threshold will go. But they're teasing the lion in the cage.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Calvin6s

« Reply #103 on: December 17, 2014, 07:22:01 PM »
a
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 11:01:32 PM by Calvin6s »

Calvin6s

« Reply #104 on: December 17, 2014, 07:32:40 PM »
a
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 11:01:40 PM by Calvin6s »