Manifolds
2 (40%)
Souls
1 (20%)
Snow
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: December 17, 2014, 02:54:50 AM

Author Topic: The HAKEN Survivor 2014 - 'Enter the 5th Dimension': Round 2!  (Read 777 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
The HAKEN Survivor 2014 - 'Enter the 5th Dimension': Round 2!
« on: December 16, 2014, 02:54:50 AM »
Results from last round:

Black Seed 1 (12.5%)
Manifolds 2 (25%)
Sleeping Thoughts Wake 4 (50%)
Souls 1 (12.5%)

Enter the 5th Dimension results:
6. Sleeping Thoughts Wake

Results/Discussion thread here.

---

Sleeping Thoughts Wake is the first one to leave from the demo with half the votes.

24 Hours for this one, go.

Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Re: The HAKEN Survivor 2014 - 'Enter the 5th Dimension': Round 2!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 05:16:56 AM »
Fuck, I don't know how but I accidently voted Blind instead of Manifolds.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 07:22:32 AM »
I was about to ask who the hell voted for Blind. :lol

Souls again.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 07:27:44 AM »

I'll take it into account in the final vote tally.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline LordCost

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 03:52:07 PM »
Oh, it's a bit long  :laugh:

Manifolds again. As a reply to a comment of the previous round, I don't think Crystallized has a better structure than Snow. It depends on how the reprise of the verses/chorus seems forced or not. For example I love how Pareidolia connects brilliantly into his final chorus and this is one of the reason because it's probably my favourite Haken song, but on Crystallized I'm not at 100% convinced about it.

At the first listens of Snow I wasn't convinced too, I thought that after the first 7-8 minutes the song could end and that the last part was an unnecessary coda which made the song disjointed. Now that I know by heart these songs and their structures (Snow, Blind, STW, Manifolds and Souls) I think they are all coherent and their impredictability adds them a strong character and makes them more special.

Plus, the songs are always supported by great melodies, there are only 4-5 songs with this style and sound in their discography, each of them is clearly distincted by the other ones (maybe only Souls and Snow seems to relate with each other in style to me), and these factors helps the songs to not suffer from being disjointed in my opinion.

Instead I think Crystallized is too easily divisible in 4 parts that could have been named alone, which some of them are correlated to each other only because they remind sections that were together in Snow. It seems to me a summary of all everything has done in their career in only one song packed at the end in a logical, classic and compact structure that seems a little bit forced.
Maybe I only have to listen to it a bit more and forget for a moment the old version

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 03:47:18 AM »
While Crystallised is my favorite Restoration track, and only second to Celestial Elixir overall, I sort of agree with you on what you said about the ending. I'm rather certain that it'd be number 1 Haken song, had the ending only felt more natural.

And about everything else you said, then yeah, I think it mostly comes down to this:

Maybe I only have to listen to it a bit more and forget for a moment the old version