Author Topic: "Saved by the EPIC?"  (Read 53179 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: "Saved by the EPIC?"
« Reply #245 on: February 05, 2015, 10:54:43 AM »
Whereas Octavarium is my favourite DT album.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #246 on: February 05, 2015, 10:56:27 AM »
No comment.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #247 on: February 05, 2015, 10:58:25 AM »
I do love the production of Octavarium. I know some don't because of chunk and balls but every instrument is blended at just the right levels for my taste.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #248 on: February 05, 2015, 11:25:25 AM »
No comment.

I wouldn't expect one.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #249 on: February 05, 2015, 11:35:17 AM »
No comment.

I wouldn't expect one.

It was my favorite until I heard Scenes which is the greatest album I've ever listened to. Then Images and Words made its way past Octavarium into the number two slot. 8VM is still my number three though. The title track is simply the band's best work, and The Root of All Evil, These Walls, Panic Attack, and Sacrificed Sons are amazing songs as well. Never Enough gets way too much hate on here and is IMO an amazing song. The Answer Lies Within and I Walk Beside You, while nowhere near my Top 50, are still good songs and are important to the flow of the album. If they weren't there the whole album would be heavy with no soft moments save for some parts of SS and the title track. I love how the whole album is connected but in a different way than Scenes and Six Degrees are. While the title track is far and away the best song on the album, that says more about the title track than the other seven songs.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #250 on: February 05, 2015, 08:23:35 PM »
8VM has some other good things going for it, but its unevenness rivals that of FII.

I'd call FII one of their more consistent albums, which is why I rank it #4. DT have much less even albums.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #251 on: February 06, 2015, 01:40:42 AM »
8VM has some other good things going for it, but its unevenness rivals that of FII.

I'd call FII one of their more consistent albums, which is why I rank it #4. DT have much less even albums.

They have 6 even albums . . .

and 6 odd albums :neverusethis:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #252 on: February 06, 2015, 01:46:44 AM »
Oh you!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #253 on: February 06, 2015, 01:53:09 AM »
Thats the closest i get to a nerd joke :blob:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #254 on: February 06, 2015, 06:33:00 AM »

I'd call FII one of their more consistent albums, which is why I rank it #4.
Yeah, but you are an out-the-ordinary DT fan.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #255 on: February 06, 2015, 06:34:43 AM »

I'd call FII one of their more consistent albums, which is why I rank it #4.
Yeah, but you are an out-the-ordinary DT fan.

Is there a such thing as an ordinary DT fan? :biggrin:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #256 on: February 06, 2015, 11:10:57 AM »
Yeah.  Most DT fans have at least some appreciation for other prog rock/prog metal.  You seem not to do so.

In fact, given what I know about some of your other tastes, I'm amazed that you even like DT lol

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #257 on: February 06, 2015, 12:53:37 PM »
From what I can gather of Blob's taste from various posts, I have pretty similar preferences, so he's not alone. And now that you mention it, there isn't much prog rock I like, and prog metal...depends where you'd classify Crimson Glory, Royal Hunt, Nevermore, Symphony X, Delta, etc. But Dream Theater's been my favorite band since the moment I first heard them in 2007.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #258 on: February 06, 2015, 01:03:44 PM »
From what I can gather of Blob's taste from various posts, I have pretty similar preferences, so he's not alone. And now that you mention it, there isn't much prog rock I like, and prog metal...depends where you'd classify Crimson Glory, Royal Hunt, Nevermore, Symphony X, Delta, etc. But Dream Theater's been my favorite band since the moment I first heard them in 2007.
I would imagine most of those bands would be considered prog metal or power metal.  Kissing cousins.

« Reply #259 on: February 06, 2015, 04:05:08 PM »
I would imagine most of those bands would be considered prog metal or power metal.  Kissing cousins.

Yeah, obviously the question would be where the progpower line is drawn.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: February 06, 2015, 08:32:12 PM »
Yeah.  Most DT fans have at least some appreciation for other prog rock/prog metal.  You seem not to do so.

In fact, given what I know about some of your other tastes, I'm amazed that you even like DT lol

So am I, hef. So am I. :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #261 on: February 07, 2015, 04:23:51 AM »
 :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #262 on: February 07, 2015, 04:27:41 AM »
Dream Theater are the only band like Dream Theater that I like.

People have tried to get me into other similar bands but for some reason I don't enjoy them...

It's the same with other bands I like too. For instance - I love Green Day obviously but I can't stand any other band *like* them - Blink 182 for example.

I've said it before - but I like "bands" not "genres". Just because I like Mastodon - doesn't mean I automatically like Slayer.

I like Bryan Adams but i'm not a big fan of Bon Jovi... I like The Prodigy but I mostly hate Electronic Dance Music as a whole.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #263 on: February 07, 2015, 05:02:23 AM »
I would never categorize Mastodon with Slayer.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #264 on: February 07, 2015, 05:18:15 AM »
k

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #265 on: February 07, 2015, 05:19:19 AM »
Fo sho - i'd put Slayer in the same category as dog turd.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #266 on: February 07, 2015, 08:50:24 AM »
Fo sho - i'd put Slayer in the same category as dog turd.

:(
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline metrojam

« Reply #267 on: February 08, 2015, 03:23:46 PM »
I wouldn't call DT12 a strong album even with IT tbh. There's not a single song on the album I'd come back to at this point, not even IT. Octavarium still has TROAE, PA, TW, and SS. TW is probably top 10 for me, it's that good. I'd take any one of those tracks over anything on DT12. At best a couple of tracks might just nudge into my top 50.

I agree with you 100% on this. I think only BTV and IT off of DT12 would have a chance of making my top 50 DT songs, the rest just sum up what a mediocre and career low (i.m.o.), quality album DT12 is.
Can't wait for the new one to hopefully delete any memory of that completely out of my mind! :)

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #268 on: February 08, 2015, 03:53:00 PM »
Is Surrwnder to Reason a bad song? I can not imagine how anybody can categorize that as a bad song.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #269 on: February 08, 2015, 03:56:56 PM »
Not bad per se. But I rank it second worst on DT12 with Along For The Ride being the very worst.

Offline 425

« Reply #270 on: February 09, 2015, 11:19:23 AM »
To me, Surrender to Reason is one of a couple of songs on DT12 that people seem to worship but I think of as merely good. It and The Looking Glass. Both are certainly good songs, but I don't understand the level of fandom some people display towards them.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #271 on: February 09, 2015, 01:18:31 PM »
^ The same with me and " Breaking All Illusions ". I think it's merely OK.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #272 on: February 09, 2015, 01:29:26 PM »
I don't think I could classify any song on DT12 as "merely OK."  Same with ADTOE, actually.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #273 on: February 09, 2015, 01:56:23 PM »
I don't think I could classify any song on DT12 as "merely OK."  Same with ADTOE, actually.
I'm not crazy about The Looking Glass, and I actively dislike BMUBMD.  But everything else on both albums is solid.

Offline wizard of Thought

« Reply #274 on: February 09, 2015, 02:58:04 PM »
I think it's RIDICULOUS to say that "Illumination Theory" isn't an epic because it misses the "20-min. mark" by a minute or less.

At the very LEAST "Learning to Live", "Lines in the Sand", "Trial of Tears", "Beyond This Life", "Home", "The Glass Prison", "The Great Debate", "In the Name of God", "In the Presence of Enemies (at LEAST part two!)", "The Count of Tuscany", "A Nightmare to Remember", "The Shattered Fortress", "Breaking All Illusions", and some others that I've probably left out should ALL be considered epics.

All of the songs that I've named are over ELEVEN minutes long, and I think it is INSANE to say that a song of that length is too SHORT to be considered an epic!

There are other songs that I've mentioned before that are more than 8 or 9 minutes long, but at the very least I think this is a good COMPROMISE!

Confering to this eleven minute mark, 4 out of 7 songs from ToT can be considered as epics. This would be a pretty crazy quote, wouldn`t it?

« Reply #275 on: February 09, 2015, 03:58:02 PM »
I think it's RIDICULOUS to say that "Illumination Theory" isn't an epic because it misses the "20-min. mark" by a minute or less.

At the very LEAST "Learning to Live", "Lines in the Sand", "Trial of Tears", "Beyond This Life", "Home", "The Glass Prison", "The Great Debate", "In the Name of God", "In the Presence of Enemies (at LEAST part two!)", "The Count of Tuscany", "A Nightmare to Remember", "The Shattered Fortress", "Breaking All Illusions", and some others that I've probably left out should ALL be considered epics.

All of the songs that I've named are over ELEVEN minutes long, and I think it is INSANE to say that a song of that length is too SHORT to be considered an epic!

There are other songs that I've mentioned before that are more than 8 or 9 minutes long, but at the very least I think this is a good COMPROMISE!

Confering to this eleven minute mark, 4 out of 7 songs from ToT can be considered as epics. This would be a pretty crazy quote, wouldn`t it?

TDS, ES, HTF, and ITNOG are all epics. I don't really count SOC because it's a different beast.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #276 on: February 09, 2015, 08:15:50 PM »

4 out of 6 on BC&SL and 3 out of 6 on SDoIT as well.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #277 on: February 09, 2015, 09:42:06 PM »
^ The same with me and " Breaking All Illusions ". I think it's merely OK.
Agreed on BAI. It has a great Petrucci solo but the rest is kinda bland for DT standards. The fact that it's so long makes me less interested in listening to it. Although I have to admit it was pretty awesome live last year.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #278 on: February 10, 2015, 06:37:59 AM »

TDS, ES, HTF, and ITNOG are all epics. I don't really count SOC because it's a different beast.
None of those are epics.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #279 on: February 10, 2015, 08:16:49 AM »

None All of those are epics.

I agree.  :biggrin:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."