Author Topic: "Saved by the EPIC?"  (Read 53188 times)

Offline erwinrafael

Re: "Saved by the EPIC?"
« Reply #175 on: December 21, 2014, 11:48:55 PM »
So I say, the epics are rather saved by the ballads in some respects, at least, to provide the contrast that DT likes to have, to show their diversity. Even an album of nearly all epics such as BC&SL needed the soft ballad in "Wither", just to give us a break between all the epics. Otherwise, it would've been a bunch of long songs without much variety.

Exactly. Without the diversity, it would sound like a Haken album.  :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #176 on: December 21, 2014, 11:58:43 PM »
So I say, the epics are rather saved by the ballads in some respects, at least, to provide the contrast that DT likes to have, to show their diversity. Even an album of nearly all epics such as BC&SL needed the soft ballad in "Wither", just to give us a break between all the epics. Otherwise, it would've been a bunch of long songs without much variety.

Psh, "Cockroach King" is PLENTY diverse! At least they're more diverse than latter-day Symphony X. ;)

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #177 on: December 22, 2014, 12:14:40 AM »

Psh, "Cockroach King" is PLENTY diverse! At least they're more diverse than latter-day Symphony X. ;)

-Marc.

True. Cockroach King is a breath of fresh air in The Mountain. I actually like Haken on a per song basis (Atlas Stone is amazing) but I find listening through a Haken album a chore because the songs keep on hitting the same notes, same themes. It lacks the balance of DT albums, like your point about the piano ballads actually making a good counterpoint to the epic songs. For DT, i almost always listen through full albums as they are very well constructed, with a good intro, a variety of heavy and softer songs, then a proper climax (usually a very long epic, or something like LtL, Scarred, or BAI). DT albums are constructed almost like a live set in the sequencing of songs, especially the Dream Theater album.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #178 on: December 22, 2014, 01:25:49 AM »
That's something I kinda take for granted with DT albums actually, they're normally a very "full" experience as opposed to just a collection of songs chucked on a CD to comprise an album. There's always variety and contrast, it seems like they really think about the "flow"of the album, and seems like they've consistently been doing 2 parts to their albums the whole time aswell. I generally listen to albums instead of just songs because I'm normally listening for long periods of time while doing other things, but there aren't too many bands where I can do the whole album experience (and enjoy all of it) because even with some of my top bands, they still have a bunch of filler or just samey songs where only a few of them will click with me. I don't wanna sound like I'm putting DT on a pedestal because there are some really well constructed albums out there but it's nice DT do care about the bigger picture regarding this sorta thing. (pun completely intended :P) You get more replay value out of the album and even some of the songs that you might not otherwise deliberately listen to. Could even play a part in why many of us know every song the band has ever done.  :lol
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 01:33:32 AM by Rodni Demental »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #179 on: December 22, 2014, 06:50:14 AM »
I think that Vacant is the best song on TOT.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #180 on: December 22, 2014, 02:33:19 PM »
A couple of problems need to be addressed here:

First of all, it looks like a lot of you missed the point of what I was trying to say.
I wasn't judging the four songs that I named, I was just saying that while I usually name one of the shorter songs as being my "favorite" from each album, it doesn't automatically mean that the shorter songs are better than the longer ones.
Regardless of style.

I wasn't judging those particular songs or the people who like them.
I was just citing them as examples of DT songs that I don't like.

The other issue is that I think I'm being accused of-or even branded as-a "hater" when it comes to DT's ballads.
In which case I submit to you the following-
Now I don't know if ALL of these songs qualify as ballads...

Another Day
Surrounded
Wait for Sleep
The Silent Man
Space-Dye Vest
I think I'm one of the few who thinks that the original and LiveTime "acoustic" versions of Hollow Years are as good as, or better than the Budokan "electric" version!
Also, the LiveTime version of Take Away My Pain
The Spirit Carries on
Solitary Shell
The Answer Lies Within (though I do prefer the Score version of this song)
Repentance
The instrumental version of Wither
This is the Life
Along for the Ride

...but I would hardly consider these songs to be "metal"
And at least most of them aren't really "prog" either.
But I can tell you the one thing that all of these songs DO have in common:

They are all songs that I like.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #181 on: December 22, 2014, 03:37:14 PM »
I think that Vacant is the best song on TOT.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #182 on: December 23, 2014, 09:41:34 AM »
First of all, it looks like a lot of you missed the point of what I was trying to say.
I don't think so.  It seemed pretty clear that this:

I was just citing them as examples of DT songs that I don't like.
was your point

The other issue is that I think I'm being accused of-or even branded as-a "hater" when it comes to DT's ballads.
I don't think that is an issue.  I haven't seen that phrase used by anyone.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #183 on: December 23, 2014, 01:32:05 PM »
In my opinion, some of their worst songs have been some of their shortest, such as "Disappear," Vacant," "Beneath the Surface," and "Far From Heaven."
Those are all great songs.

Unless by worst he means least awesome, in which case, they're still awesome.

Indeed. And looking at the songs mentioned, they're all softer ballads, mostly piano-driven with minimal instrumentation. Not what one would typically associate with Dream Theater's more progressive, heavy and complex metal side, but music like this is a great way for the band to flex their musical muscles. [I guess chaossystem just doesn't like songs like that from Dream Theater], but that being his personal taste, I think the general consensus regarding those songs (and those types of songs) within the DT catalog is generally positive.

-Marc.

This is what I meant.

Maybe nobody actually used words like "hate" or "hater," but that still seems like a broad statement.

Like saying that anyone who doesn't like those specific songs that I named-and there are a few others-doesn't like it when the band does that type of music at all.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #184 on: December 24, 2014, 01:18:24 PM »
 :metal
That's something I kinda take for granted with DT albums actually, they're normally a very "full" experience as opposed to just a collection of songs chucked on a CD to comprise an album. There's always variety and contrast, it seems like they really think about the "flow"of the album, and seems like they've consistently been doing 2 parts to their albums the whole time aswell. I generally listen to albums instead of just songs because I'm normally listening for long periods of time while doing other things, but there aren't too many bands where I can do the whole album experience (and enjoy all of it) because even with some of my top bands, they still have a bunch of filler or just samey songs where only a few of them will click with me. I don't wanna sound like I'm putting DT on a pedestal because there are some really well constructed albums out there but it's nice DT do care about the bigger picture regarding this sorta thing. (pun completely intended :P) You get more replay value out of the album and even some of the songs that you might not otherwise deliberately listen to. Could even play a part in why many of us know every song the band has ever done.  :lol

I think a good way to answer the original question would be to say:
"Saved by the epic?"
No!

But..

Saved by the variety?
HELL yes!!!

In fact I HATE it when they are referred to as JUST a prog, metal or "prog-metal" band, when I know there is so much more TO them than that!

I also think that what I have been trying to say is that while I do love the variety, i'ts one of the things that makes Dream Theater one of the greatest bands ever, there are certain things, such as the ballads and the epics that are pretty much hit and miss with me, and I'm sure there are many others who see it the same way.

In other words, for every song like "The Answer lies within" or "Along for the Ride," which I think are as good as any of their earlier ballads, there are songs like "Beneath the Surface" and "Far From Heaven" that just don't DO anything for me.

Similarly there are are songs like "A Change of Seasons" and "Octavrium" that are absolute CLASSICS as far as I'm concerned, but there are other epics, such as "The Count of Tuscany" and "Illumination Theory" that, while good,to me they're a little weak, and  I just don't think they're AS good as what I KNOW the band is capable of.

The same can be said for a lot of the songs in the other categories as well. I don't know WHY I like "Lie" as an example, but don't much care for "The Mirror."
I guess it's just one of those things...

:metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #185 on: December 24, 2014, 01:28:50 PM »
...for every song like "The Answer lies within" or "Along for the Ride," which I think are as good as any of their earlier ballads, there are songs like "Beneath the Surface" and "Far From Heaven" that just don't DO anything for me.

I'll just go off on this brief tangent to mention that, while I understand why you would put Along for the Ride in the same general category as those other songs, one of the things that is so fascinating to me about Along for the Ride is that it is really quite unique and different from other softer songs.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #186 on: December 24, 2014, 02:05:11 PM »
I don't know if you would consider Another Day to be a ballad, but if you go back and listen to it, the style of Along for the Ride is VERY similar.

However, I think the the one major difference in the keyboard sounds is due to the fact that the technology to makes those kinds of sounds didn't exist back then.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 02:13:20 PM by chaossystem »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #187 on: December 24, 2014, 02:14:28 PM »
I don't know if you would consider Another Day to be a ballad, but if you go back and listen to it, the style of Along for the Ride is VERY similar.

I disagree.  I mean, even aside from the fact that I think Another Day is one of DT's absolute worst songs, whereas Along for the Ride may be top 20.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #188 on: December 24, 2014, 02:57:17 PM »
Ok.

But why don't you like it?

"one of the WORST?"

Wow!

That's HARSH!

Anyway, I hope you understand that I didn't mean that the two songs sound like each other.

I just meant that I think the STYLE is very similar.

oops!
Forgot to ask:
In what way do you mean that AftR is unique?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 03:15:04 PM by chaossystem »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #189 on: December 24, 2014, 03:14:48 PM »

I disagree.  I mean, even aside from the fact that I think Another Day is one of DT's absolute worst songs, whereas Along for the Ride may be top 20.

Along for the Ride is a block of cheese.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #190 on: December 24, 2014, 03:16:12 PM »
That could be taken so many ways!

How do YOU mean it?

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #191 on: December 24, 2014, 03:35:41 PM »
It's delicious and can be melted over nachos.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #192 on: December 24, 2014, 03:42:20 PM »

How do YOU mean it?

I really don't think it can.

Even though the comparison is an insult to cheese, because real cheese makes everything better, but metaphorical cheese, apparently not.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #193 on: December 24, 2014, 03:50:28 PM »
What I meant was, what with all the talk about "lactose intolerance" these days, I thought you were comparing the song to something that makes people sick by clogging arteries, nasal passages, etc.

Now me, I love milk and all or most milk by-products, but some people tend to get very "preachy" about how we should never use or consume any of those things.

That's why I wanted to be clear on your meaning.

And I STRONGLY disagree with you about AftR. If you want to hear CHEESE (not to mention SLEAZE!) listen to some of the god-awful crap that they're playing on the top 40 stations these days!!!

« Reply #194 on: December 24, 2014, 04:13:51 PM »
And I STRONGLY disagree with you about AftR.

I don't always agree with chaossystem... But when I do... It's Christmas.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #195 on: December 24, 2014, 04:31:48 PM »
Merry Christmas to you, too...

...And the REST of my "forum friends!"

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #196 on: December 24, 2014, 04:52:33 PM »
While I somehow like AftR, it is a block of cheese. Just like The Answer Lies Within and I Walk Beside You. :P

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #197 on: December 24, 2014, 08:27:05 PM »

How do YOU mean it?

I really don't think it can.

Even though the comparison is an insult to cheese, because real cheese makes everything better, but metaphorical cheese, apparently not.

True.  Cheese and music in the same sentence is rarely a good thing.  :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

« Reply #198 on: December 24, 2014, 08:56:03 PM »
Well, AftR is still a fantastic song even if you find the lyrics cheesy. That's a subjective opinion anyway, like if I were to say that the lyrics for LSOAD are pretentious.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: December 24, 2014, 08:57:34 PM »
Agree with Blob, AFTR is a cheese fest. 

Also,

Another Day >>>>>>>>>>>>> AFTR.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Öxölklöfför

• Pull my finger, I'm not afraid.
« Reply #200 on: December 25, 2014, 04:16:45 AM »
In my book, "epic" is defined by a track that is "20:ish" minutes long. It's nothing that I explicitly have "decided" for myself, it's just how I have come to think about it.

With that said, I do agree on that it has been discussed to death.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #201 on: December 25, 2014, 01:32:59 PM »

Also,

What does ">>>>>>>>>" mean?

Also, is anyone HONESTLY going to say that Along for the Ride is the first and only "Cheesy" thing DT has ever done??

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #202 on: December 25, 2014, 02:19:35 PM »
> in math means greater-than, >> means much-greater-than. You get the idea.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #203 on: December 25, 2014, 02:46:27 PM »
So I guess it means "much, much, much...." greater.

Anyway, Bosk would probably have those two songs reversed, and I'm not taking a side, because I think they're bOTH very good.

So there!

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #204 on: December 25, 2014, 08:20:32 PM »

Also,

What does ">>>>>>>>>" mean?

Also, is anyone HONESTLY going to say that Along for the Ride is the first and only "Cheesy" thing DT has ever done??

Nope, Dream Theater has been oozing cheese since probably the beginning, can easily be pointed out on parts of I&W and especially FII and many more onwards. In all fairness, I think cheese is one of the band's key ingredients, even if it's occasssionally a bit strong for some people's taste. :P

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #205 on: December 26, 2014, 01:37:45 PM »

There can never be enough cheese.   Cheese is like bacon - it makes everything better  :biggrin:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #206 on: December 26, 2014, 01:39:33 PM »

There can never be enough cheese.   Cheese is like bacon - it makes everything better  :biggrin:
Especially when it's cheese and bacon together!!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #207 on: December 26, 2014, 02:10:30 PM »
Well, if you overdo it, it CAN be bad for you.

Just like I find that if I don't occasionally mix in a little bit of other music, I COULD get sick of just listening to DT or metal bands such as Metallica and Maiden.

Offline Fredo96993

« Reply #208 on: December 28, 2014, 02:37:58 PM »
This is the criteria I used for an epic:
No Chorus
At least ten minutes long
A change in musical direction

These things tend to go hand in hand.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #209 on: December 28, 2014, 03:12:34 PM »
Octavarium, Six Degrees, Learning To Live, those all have choruses. Just to name a few.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods