Poll

Santa Claus...We/I.....

...raise our kids to 'believe' in him and let Natural Process Reveal the Truth
15 (30.6%)
...do not Raise our Kids to 'believe' in him.
7 (14.3%)
I do not have kids but when I do I will implement Option 1
16 (32.7%)
I do not have kids but when I do I will implement Option 2
7 (14.3%)
If I see Santa I will punch him for not bringing me the puppy I wanted when I was 7
4 (8.2%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: Santa Claus  (Read 8029 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Santa Claus
« on: December 10, 2014, 12:47:42 PM »
My wife and I recently had a get together where 'Santa Claus' came up as a topic and several of the parents said they didn't practice or believe in Santa Claus in their house....and presented it in a way where my wife and I felt like we were almost being 'judged' because we've chosen to 'do' the whole Santa Claus thing, like we were somehow 'bad' parents for doing so.

We were a bit taken off guard because for me it almost seems Un-American 'not' to do so. And what I mean by that is it's almost a rite of passage....a tradition that at least for my wife and I brought many great memories associated with the entire intrigue of Santa....what'd he get me.....did he eat all the cookies we left out.....was that him on the roof....and so on. Personally, when the time comes as it did for a lot of us when we stopped believing....that'll be that, the rite of passage will be over for our kids but our hopes are that in these years that we are 'believing' in Santa, that we create some great memories and emotions associated with Christmas to last our kids a lifetime. Something they'd be able to look back on and happily recall.

Thoughts??
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Santa Claus
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 12:55:28 PM »
I'd prefer to not raise my kid to believe in Santa, but I'm sure I'm going to end up doing so because I don't want him to be 'that kid' at school (and possibly ruin it for everyone else).

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 01:30:36 PM »
Not sure if you're religious, but this is my answer for those who are. If you aren't, then disregard.

I struggle with my faith, and I attribute that largely to my childhood belief in Santa Claus.

An all-seeing being that rewards for good, punishes for bad (coal), you can't see him, but you have blind faith that he both exists and cares for you. To kids, Santa is God. Sure, the kids can differentiate and will place more importance on God simply because they're taught to, but the idea of the faith put in both figures is nearly identical. When I found out Santa wasn't real, my world was shattered. The whole world as I knew it conspired to perpetuate the idea of his existence. There were the mall santas. Oh, we justified those by saying they were his "workers." At school we made "reinder food." The news stations had Santa Tracker. Worst of all, as much as I love her and hate to admit it, I felt betrayed by my mom. She justified it by saying "Santa Claus is still real, in a way. He is just a symbol for the giving of gifts." The fuck?

My mind has some dark and hollow places that were created by my belief in Santa.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 01:38:01 PM »
And what I mean by that is it's almost a rite of passage....a tradition that at least for my wife and I brought many great memories associated with the entire intrigue of Santa....what'd he get me.....did he eat all the cookies we left out.....was that him on the roof....and so on. Personally, when the time comes as it did for a lot of us when we stopped believing....that'll be that, the rite of passage will be over for our kids but our hopes are that in these years that we are 'believing' in Santa, that we create some great memories and emotions associated with Christmas to last our kids a lifetime. Something they'd be able to look back on and happily recall.

This all the way.

Not sure if you're religious, but this is my answer for those who are. If you aren't, then disregard.

I struggle with my faith, and I attribute that largely to my childhood belief in Santa Claus.

An all-seeing being that rewards for good, punishes for bad (coal), you can't see him, but you have blind faith that he both exists and cares for you. To kids, Santa is God. Sure, the kids can differentiate and will place more importance on God simply because they're taught to, but the idea of the faith put in both figures is nearly identical. When I found out Santa wasn't real, my world was shattered. The whole world as I knew it conspired to perpetuate the idea of his existence. There were the mall santas. Oh, we justified those by saying they were his "workers." At school we made "reinder food." The news stations had Santa Tracker. Worst of all, as much as I love her and hate to admit it, I felt betrayed by my mom. She justified it by saying "Santa Claus is still real, in a way. He is just a symbol for the giving of gifts." The fuck?

My mind has some dark and hollow places that were created by my belief in Santa.

Wow dude, that's pretty heavy. When I figured out there was no more Santa, it made me appreciate my parents even more.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 01:38:38 PM »

This was essentially the point of view expressed from those at our get together....it was our Bible study group. And it's perfectly understandable and valid....absolutely. And quite frankly forced me to evaluate my wife and I's decision to 'do' the whole Santa thing.

But we also know that when it comes to Faith and belief in God or Jesus....for our kids, we aren't going to be able to 'force' them to believe anyway. It'll have to be something genuine for them to experience and decide. With Santa....we as parents and I guess society in general 'try real hard' to perpetuate the myth. But my opinion at least is that when it comes to God and Faith....that type of effort won't be needed for our kids to believe (or not believe) or have Faith. It'll be something powerful that not even the disappointment of finding out Santa isn't real can disrupt.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 01:42:09 PM »
I think it would do kids better to know from a young age that people are working to afford items for them, and that they get those items out of love. To me that would be way better than claiming the stuff they see advertised on TV and on the shelves in the mall is made by elves in a magical workshop. It would do children better to put together food baskets for the homeless rather than make "reindeer food".

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 01:46:24 PM »
This was essentially the point of view expressed from those at our get together....it was our Bible study group. And it's perfectly understandable and valid....absolutely. And quite frankly forced me to evaluate my wife and I's decision to 'do' the whole Santa thing.

But we also know that when it comes to Faith and belief in God or Jesus....for our kids, we aren't going to be able to 'force' them to believe anyway. It'll have to be something genuine for them to experience and decide. With Santa....we as parents and I guess society in general 'try real hard' to perpetuate the myth. But my opinion at least is that when it comes to God and Faith....that type of effort won't be needed for our kids to believe (or not believe) or have Faith. It'll be something powerful that not even the disappointment of finding out Santa isn't real can disrupt.

I think the problem is the fact that the Santa myth begins with birth. Kids' minds are developing and their world view is constantly being molded and formed into their perception of reality. Santa, a magical being, is presented as 100% reality and is just as real to a kid as water and food. It's like unplugging an 8-year-old from the Matrix, though on a much smaller scale.

Edit: Also, I agree with Chino

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 01:54:40 PM »
I didn't vote cause I don't have kids and don't plan on having kids.  But, since I was a kid once and actually believed in Santa (up to a certain age), I think kids should be told the truth that Santa is just a fictitious character like Frosty the Snowman.  Nothing wrong with pretending there's a jolly old fat guy in a red suit with a snowy white beard who rides a sleigh pulled by flying reindeer delivering presents to everyone.   :biggrin:

-AAgent66
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 01:58:21 PM »
And what I mean by that is it's almost a rite of passage....a tradition that at least for my wife and I brought many great memories associated with the entire intrigue of Santa....what'd he get me.....did he eat all the cookies we left out.....was that him on the roof....and so on. Personally, when the time comes as it did for a lot of us when we stopped believing....that'll be that, the rite of passage will be over for our kids but our hopes are that in these years that we are 'believing' in Santa, that we create some great memories and emotions associated with Christmas to last our kids a lifetime. Something they'd be able to look back on and happily recall.
My parents divorced when I was about three, so I have had Christmases with both sides of the family. I lived with my mom, but when I was with my dad's side of the family for Christmas morning, the first thing we would do is read the story of the birth of Christ from the Bible. It was me, my stepmom, and three younger sisters. It was tradition, and even my younger sisters would look forward to my dad's reading with an excitement I couldn't fathom. My Christmas magic was leaving cookies and milk out. Theirs was reading the Bible, but they had the same excitement and felt the same magic as I did, and created memories just the same. So which practice was more valuable?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 02:15:59 PM »
It did, really? Why?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 02:25:44 PM »
I think it would do kids better to know from a young age that people are working to afford items for them, and that they get those items out of love. To me that would be way better than claiming the stuff they see advertised on TV and on the shelves in the mall is made by elves in a magical workshop. It would do children better to put together food baskets for the homeless rather than make "reindeer food".

These do not have to be exclusive. We work to teach our daughter (3.5 yrs) the value of gift-giving. Just yesterday, she and I went to the store to buy Christmas gifts for her cousin and aunt and uncle. She was really excited till she found a hat she wanted. She took it off the shelf, showed it to me, and repeatedly told me she wanted it. When I told her we were there to buy gifts for others, she just repeaded she wanted the hat and got fussy. So I told her we were going home. When she got over crying, we talked about how giving works during the holidays, and that just because she wants something, it doesn't mean we are going to buy it for her.

She did write a letter to Santa, and after writing about all the fun stuff she did this year, liek starting preschool and soccer, said she wanted some hair clips, and bath toys. I thought it was sweet she really wanted something I could buy for $5 at Fred Meyer.

I feel bad that some people have had negative associations with Santa Claus. I have nothing but fond memories, and look forward to enjoying them with my daughter.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2014, 02:35:55 PM »
An all-seeing being that rewards for good, punishes for bad (coal), you can't see him, but you have blind faith that he both exists and cares for you. To kids, Santa is God. Sure, the kids can differentiate and will place more importance on God simply because they're taught to, but the idea of the faith put in both figures is nearly identical.

This is where I come down on the issue, and I think it is valid.  But I also get why people "do" the Santa thing.  We don't.  Well, let me take that back.  We kinda do.  We taught our kids that Santa is make believe, unlike God, but that a lot of people pretend that Santa is real, because it is fun to do so, and we can do that too.  So we play pretend, and the kids get a kick out of it, while still knowing that it isn't real, same as when we're watching their favorite Disney or Star Wars movie.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2014, 02:39:35 PM »
We have never once tied in being good with getting gifts, or that Santa is watching, and you might get coal.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2014, 02:45:05 PM »
I don't plan on having kids, but if I did I don't think I would do the Santa thing.

That said, my parents did, and it didn't emotionally scar me or anything.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2014, 02:57:43 PM »
I don't have kids, and don't plan on having any but I don't think there is anything wrong with kids believing in Santa ( and even the tooth fairy and the Easter bunny) the way kids are today, it would only last until they are at least eight (before some kid tells them at school)
Once they are told then you can level with them and tell them it is pretend, but tell them to not tell other kids.
I have a lot of nieces and nephews and I remember telling them once they don't believe in Santa anymore, they don't get as many presents...that seemed to keep it going for a couple of years.  :smiley:

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2014, 03:10:58 PM »
Yeah, the "big Santa reveal" was the start of me realizing that adults lie. It really opened my eyes and put me on a life-long path of skepticism...not that I find that a bad thing now.

Like Bosk1, I let my kids in on the "pretending" early and stressed that they shouldn't ruin it for others who wish to participate. It's not our decision to make. I also stressed how much I abhor lying but good-natured myth building is a bit different. I will point out, my kids, even now as adults, are no less excited for Christmas morning than anyone else.

So, I guess my answer is I chose not to ever lie to my children (no matter how small and white) but I don't judge others who choose a different path.

That being said, Gary, you may want to prepare yourself for the possibility that one of your boys may react to the news just as MetalJunkie has...it's a real possibility.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2014, 03:14:34 PM »
I'll be damned. Never considered the conflict between God and Santa before. Now I find the whole God thing even more troubling than I did before. At least Santa is harmless and ultimately self-terminating.

And what is this about reindeer food? Don't recall such a thing down in Oak Cliff.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2014, 03:20:52 PM »
I don't remember when it was I found out there was no Santa Claus (maybe 8), but it certainly wasn't a big deal. Besides, I already told my daughter that Santa stopped delivering to our place because she's been too bad. Is that cruel? She knows we get her stuff too anyway, so anything marked "from Santa" is just extra.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2014, 03:28:14 PM »
Lazy illiterates shouldn't bother. (TL;DR: Fuck off)  :laugh:

I really couldn't give a shit less what being 'American' is...which at this points is embodied by obesity, greed, ignorance of the world abound and sucking off celebrities. Other than that...I care more about the ants I accidentally step on into my way to work. I do the Santa thing because it's fun for the kids, it expands and promotes imagination as long as it's controlled and lets my nostalgia run rampant before my childhood went to shit. I like it, and like others have said, for a certain age-range, it's fun. My not-girlfriend-girlfriend has two toddlers, one is 4 and is extremely smart, and the other is 2 and has a bit of a learning disability (and still, oddly enough, is much less of a little devil than most of the kids in his class as far as I've seen...which is a lot, much to my dismay). So I'm telling the 4-year-old, slowly, hinting bit by bit, that Santa is more of a concept and an idea for 'kids' than he is a real thing. Now, when I say this kid is smart...I've seen multiple parents, including my own father, say, "What is he, 6, 7?", and many people have asked if he's even older than that. It helps that he's fucking huge for his age, but he's just downright SMART. It's cool.

The one with the disability is an angel, but he learns differently and is more practical than he is book smart. Ironically, he seems to have more common sense about the world than the 4 year old but he's behind on his books. That said, I think it'd behoove his imaginative mind and general well being of expanding that aspect of learning to let him run wild with the concept of a jolly fat man in a red suit coming down the chimney to bring him presents if he doesn't throw tantrums a bit longer.  :lol He's definitely embodying the 'terrible two's' aspect to a T; for as much as I love him, he's a little shit sometimes. So that whole prospect that 'if you're good, you'll get presents from this fatass' (I do word it a LITTLE different) is a great help to both of us until he reaches an age where he's more prominently logical.

All that said, I'm not religious at all, and I tell people whom I speak with about religion that my religion is "I don't know what the motherfuck is going on". My not-girlfriend-girlfriend is religious, Christian, and while she's not a bible-thumping ignorant, she's pretty into the whole concept of a classical god. That part...kind of overruns her and their Christmas. For me, it's all fun and games. So she tries to give Santa this fucking overarching theme and moral comeuppance while to me, it's more fun than anything. I get that it can spur on a moral compass and can help skew bad kids to be good...but her kids aren't that, and that's the part where we usually have issues. Either way, it's fun nonetheless and it's something that I really hope to continue for as long as I can with them, even when one of them pretty much now knows that it's bullshit and we more or less give them presents ourselves, STILL only if they're good. That is the part I like...they (or rather, just he) knows that it's still based around being a good person and doing good things and keeping mommy more or less... LESS insane than she already is.  :lol :corn :millahhhh :angel:

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2014, 03:33:19 PM »
So, I guess my answer is I chose not to ever lie to my children (no matter how small and white)

I will not challenge you on your parenting, but if you hold true to that statement, you are a one in a million parent. Incidentally, I think it is ok to lie to your kids, as the need arises.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2014, 03:54:12 PM »
Cool Chris,

It's not that big of a deal really. Just a personal philosophy. I've never found the need to lie to my kids and I distinctly remember how I felt when I discovered my parents were habitual liars...I never trusted them ever after. I don't want that kind of a wall between me and my children.

That doesn't mean they don't lie to me though.  :lol  My middle daughter would lie about the color of the sky! We're all different I suppose.

Like I said, I choose to not judge nor to have expectations for anyone but myself.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2014, 04:00:53 PM »
We do not raise our child that Santa is 'real', but every family is different. If it works for you and your kids, go for it.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2014, 04:06:46 PM »
So, I guess my answer is I chose not to ever lie to my children (no matter how small and white)
I will not challenge you on your parenting, but if you hold true to that statement, you are a one in a million parent. Incidentally, I think it is ok to lie to your kids, as the need arises.
We also strongly avoid lying to our daughter. We try to be very open on answering and detailing what is going on around her. The only 'lies' are usually centered around games where we're challenging her to think it through, like me announcing I am somewhere else during hide and seek. :lol...pretty funny when it used to work.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2014, 04:09:14 PM »
People over-think things to the MAXIMUM. It's great. It's so fucked and so immediately (and most-often) placed in a good-hearted mindset despite the outcome. No one needs to analyze this or comment on it cause my opinion means jack-shit. I'm just farting out my mouth. Talking out my ass? Whatevs, yo. MAGNETS.

Anyway, I forgot to say that for the poll I chose that I'll punch santa in his balls for not bringing me the video game that I asked for, cause I already had a badass German Sherpherd when I was a lil tyke and fuck puppies. Also fuck cancer for taking that dude from me and so many cool humans. HEY GAIZ, I'M JUST HERE TO KILL THE MOOD, DON'T MIND ME! MURRY CRUSTMUSS.

:angel: :coolio

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2014, 04:15:05 PM »
I've never believed in the actual real santa. In our house growing up it was a kind of joke that Santa brings presents when we all knew full well it was our parents that bought them.

It's still a joke now even though i'm 36 that Santa bought you those socks or PS4  :biggrin:

I'd do the same if I ever had kids. I wouldn't make out Santa was real but just act like it's just some silly joke that every one does each year.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2014, 04:17:30 PM »
I'm not religious, but I went with the "If I have kids, option 1".  First, it's fun for them.  Two, it can be fun for the parents as well.  Three, it can used to coax better behavior from your kids.  There are tons of other reasons to as well.  I think it encourages imagination and creativity from them as they try to figure out how Santa works, where as telling them there is no Santa just teaches pragmatism...which is something they should learn when they are 15, not 8.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2014, 04:45:44 PM »
It did, really? Why?

Well...it was more of a second guessing ourselves. Like...."oh man, will this adversely affect them when they do find out?" As I stated earlier....the wonderful experience(s) I and my wife had as a kid when we 'believed' in Santa are what I remember about Santa....not the moment I realized he wasn't real or any disappointment I may have had. Even to this day when I 'smell' the fresh real tree as we decorate it in our own home it takes me back to my childhood and those Christmas's and the good memories associated with them. Decorating the house and tree...the wonder of 'what' I'd get that year.....the whole deal.

I can certainly understand the choice not to raise your kids believing in Santa...I get it. But to me....kids are full of imagination and the story of santa and perpetuation of that story IMO works hand in hand with their state of mind anyway. Especially nowdays where for whatever reason our culture is in a big hurry to whittle away 'childhood' from our kids lives I find it nice for my kids to have something as whimsical as 'Santa' in their lives. Shoot....we're even doing this retarded "Elf on a Shelf" deal. Is it ridiculous for me to convince my kids that this plastic elf actually flies to the North Pole everynight to tell Santa how they've been only to return and be in a different location the next morining? Sure. But the excitment they have when they wake up to run around the house to see where he's at...or even when our elf 'Marco' decides to move while we are all at home....it's well worth it. I highly doubt they'll be upset at me and cuss me out when they're 23 for making them believe it....rather, I think they'll be re-telling the story about the time Marco changed spots while we were all in the same room. (yeah...I am getting real good at this  ;))

That being said, Gary, you may want to prepare yourself for the possibility that one of your boys may react to the news just as MetalJunkie has...it's a real possibility.

Well...sure, I guess that is a possibility. And not to take anything away from MetalJunkie's story or situation because that was a very honest assesment....but I really am not too concerned about that happening given mine and my wife's experiences as kids with Santa....finding out....I mean, I think what happened with MetalJunkie is an extreme case. There have been literally countless millions of kids that come to the revelation of there is no Santa and I think the vast majority of them have come to grips with that 'truth' just fine.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2014, 04:54:40 PM »
Shoot....we're even doing this retarded "Elf on a Shelf" deal.

:lol  Us too. And we are on year #2 and she still hasn't named him. She is terrible at naming stuffed animals/toys. Everything just gets named what it is, so she has "Pink Bear," "Doggie", "Elf," and so forth.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2014, 05:01:58 PM »

Both of you said interesting stuff I hadn't thought about.

Personally, I'm not religious but I was very much so as a kid. I found out Santa wasn't real in 4th or 5th grade and I was absolutely crushed. Soon after that I started to question more things that had been presented to me as fact by my parents, and I realized I had absolutely no evidence that there was a god and I had only believed in one because I wasn't given any other option. A bit off-topic, but this is one of my big beefs with religion in general. Sure, you can't force your kids to believe, but my guess from my own experience is that many (if not most) religious parents don't give their kids options, and that lots of kids like me end up having these revelations later that make them feel a bit duped by, not to mention extremely alienated from, the families who have told them "This is the truth" for so long. So who knows... maybe had I not had the Santa trauma my feelings about religion would be different, though I doubt that. Like Podaar said, the skepticism I've formed is not necessarily a bad thing. I kinda like it  :D

ANYWAY, I don't intend to have kids but like some other folks said I would probably present Santa as sort of a mythological character and have fun with it, without actually pretending he exists and is bringing them the presents. I don't judge others for doing it, but I totally agree with this point:

Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2014, 05:49:12 PM »
So wait, are some of you trying to tell me that Santa Claus isn't real? What the hell??

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2014, 05:56:34 PM »
So wait, are some of you trying to tell me that Santa Claus isn't real? What the hell??
We've been meaning to break the news to you for a while now. ;D

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2014, 06:20:00 PM »
jingle.kids are 14, and the "truth" of Santa as a real person has never been (and will never be) explicitly spoken.  Even last year, I could tell that jingle.son knew, but he wasn't going to say anything; jingle.daughter was probably 50/50 on the issue.  Logically, they know that Santa as an individual doesn't exist.  But in our house, and in my opinion, Santa as a concept is no different than God or religion as a concept - sorry, don't mean to turn this into a religious debate or anything.

A few years ago, mrs.jingle and I could tell they were waning on their belief.  So, we bought, and read as a family, The Autobiography of Santa Claus.  FANTASTIC read.  It actually brings realism into the 'magic' of Santa.  Sure, some disbelief of magic has to be suspended, but it honestly made you think that "Santa" could be real.

IMO, there is nothing wrong with believing in Santa - a real individual, or concept.  We used to play it up... dressing up in full Santa and Mrs. Clause outfits, taking pictures and videos of ourselves delivering the gifts at 1am; eating the cookies and drinking the milk that was left out.  When they were younger, we'd even go into their bedrooms and take pictures of them with "Santa" while they slept.  One year, when jingle.son was four, he woke up!   :omg:  I nearly shit myself, because my wife was still in her Mrs Clause outfit too.  He looks me straight in the eyes and says "Hi Santa".  I disguised my voice and said "Hi <jingle.son>."  "Merry Christmas Santa"  "Merry Christmas <jingle.son>.  Go back to sleep".  There's more to the story, but miraculously, we did not get 'caught'.  It was an absolutely priceless and treasured moment.

So yeah... nothing wrong with believing or promoting Santa.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 06:53:37 PM by jingle.boy »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2014, 06:23:13 PM »
That's an awesome story!

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2014, 06:27:07 PM »
That's adorable. "Hi, Santa"  :lol
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2014, 08:25:23 PM »
My parents just let it run its course. They never outright said he was real or fake, they just let us work it out on our own, and in the earliest years didn't make any note of where the presents came from. Was it from santa or just my parents? Didn't know, didn't care at that point. :lol

So I was at best 50/50 on it, but stopped believing pretty early on. It never stopped me from enjoying the fun of Christmas, or all of the fun Christmas shows including Santa, and I never felt disappointed when I knew for sure he wasn't real.

On the dark sad day of humanity's downfall I manage to trick some woman into carrying my seed to term, I won't tell my kids Santa is real, I'm not sure if I'll tell them he's fake at first either. But I couldn't outright lie to them about it.
Convincing them that if they're good, Santa will shower them with gifts doesn't really convey the spirit of giving, only of receiving. It just sounds like a ploy from parents to try to get their kids to behave. As if it would help. :lol

Christmas is awesome for a kid regardless of whether Santa is a real guy. He's a fictional character that can be enjoyed just like any other fictional character.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.