Author Topic: In Conversation with James LaBrie  (Read 10266 times)

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
In Conversation with James LaBrie
« on: December 08, 2014, 09:17:21 PM »
So, apparently, JLB is doing this event in his hometown of Midland. Seems like sort of a "Inside Actors Studio" type of event, where he'll get to talk about his life and stuff. I think I'm gonna check it out. It's only a couple of hours away from me.

"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Re: In Conversation with James LaBrie
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 09:18:03 PM »
Wow... Ninja'd by seconds.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 09:23:08 PM »
Eh, I say close the thread I started.  I only beat you because I was lazy and didn't bother posting the picture of the event.  But anyway, you should definitely go to this event.  If I was anywhere within a few hours, I would be there.

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 09:24:48 PM »
Can't promise a bootleg though, lol.
Well, maybe.  :yarr

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 06:50:48 AM »
Why do they always have to add the "Prog rock may not be your thing" disclaimer on these things? It should be everyone's thing!

PS. Rush asked "Where's My Thing?" on Roll the Bones. It's quite possible that it may be in this post.

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 07:08:14 AM »
Why do they always have to add the "Prog rock may not be your thing" disclaimer on these things? It should be everyone's thing!

PS. Rush asked "Where's My Thing?" on Roll the Bones. It's quite possible that it may be in this post.

Yeah, that's what I said. I mean, whether it's someone's thing or not, it's not a very good marketing move to just assume that people won't be interested and trying to make a last ditch effort to convince them in the last sentence. That's how it comes off anyway.

The simple fact is, those who ARE prog fans will be interested in it, otherwise, they're advertising to the local crowd no doubt, and first of all, considering that this is something they do with all kinds of people, I wonder how many of their locals go to these things just because it's kind of interesting. Second, JLB having grown up there, I imagine he must be somewhat of a local celebrity. I mean, it's a pretty tiny town, and as far as I can tell, JLB has pretty much been the biggest name to come from there.

Point is, if a person isn't interested in prog rock, and they're not interested in rock artists in general, and they're not interested in local Midland celebrities, that last sentence probably won't sell them.

That being said, I do wonder how full the audience is going to be.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 07:51:19 AM »
That would be really neat to attend.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 10:54:48 AM »
Not to get off topic, but three grammy nominations? I'm aware of two. Is that a misprint or am I missing something?

And yes, cool opportunity for anyone who can go!
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 11:00:40 AM »
Not to get off topic, but three grammy nominations? I'm aware of two. Is that a misprint or am I missing something?

Yeah, that struck me as odd. Were they nominated for two categories last time around?
Or was he ever involved in any other project that got nominated?

By the way, if there's a Q&A session at the end, I wouldn't mind taking some suggestions as I have a really hard time coming up with questions, especially given how much I already know about the guy.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 11:10:01 AM »
Who does your hair?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 11:33:23 AM »
Would love to see JLB in this kind of setting....

Wouldn't it be great JLB and Charlie Rose asking and chatting away?

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 04:36:16 PM »
Would love to see JLB in this kind of setting....

Wouldn't it be great JLB and Charlie Rose asking and chatting away?

...or even Charlie Dominici

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 05:48:10 PM »
I came up with an interesting question to ask him.
My friend met this guy who claimed he was in a band with James before DT (and I'm assuming before Winter Rose), the guy's name is Tom Keating apparently, and he said that James quit the band after this Tom Keating smashed his Journey audio cassette... By accident, I presume? lol
Kind of a weird story, but I'd love to know if it's true or not.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 06:11:26 PM »

I was just reading through this to see if this was brought up.  I would like to know if there is a third one for real or if its just a mistake.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2014, 06:12:34 PM »
This seems like a pretty cool event to attend for a DT or JLB fan.  Wish I could be there, for those who go I'm looking forward to hearing a report of the evening.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2014, 01:13:29 AM »
It would be interesting to know how the vocal melodies are written since MP's departure. Is it mostly JP's work, or James does most of them?

Online Skeever

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2014, 04:45:31 AM »
What's up with that picture  :lol

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2014, 05:46:34 AM »
I live in the GTA, so I might attend. Too bad it's on a Wednesday, I'm 1.5 hours from Midland.
In Timmins Ontario, where I'm originally from, there are a few billboards stating that Shania Twain is from there.
I would ask why there isn't a huge JLB billboard as you enter Midland.  :rollin

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2014, 08:20:27 AM »
His first Grammy nomination was with Winter Rose.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2014, 02:42:17 PM »
I don't know what's wrong with my head, but I keep reading that last sentence like this:

"Progressive Rock may or may not be your thing.."

But yeah, it really says "may not" only. Minor screw up on that one, I feel.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2014, 05:20:07 PM »

Nah.. Really? Nah.. that's not true is it? I can't tell if that's sarcasm or not. Damn words. It's almost believable, but the only place that mentions the words Winter Rose and grammy in the same sentence is unencyclopedia, and they got 8 grammys according to that. :lol

https://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/James_LaBrie

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2014, 06:29:57 PM »

Nah.. Really? Nah.. that's not true is it? I can't tell if that's sarcasm or not. Damn words. It's almost believable, but the only place that mentions the words Winter Rose and grammy in the same sentence is unencyclopedia, and they got 8 grammys according to that. :lol

https://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/James_LaBrie

lol I googled that as well because I didnt believe it.  It isnt true as far as I can tell.  :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2014, 09:59:16 AM »

Nah.. Really? Nah.. that's not true is it? I can't tell if that's sarcasm or not.
:justjen

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2014, 01:00:13 PM »
No there was no Grammy for Winter Rose but James did win a Vera Wang Fashion Award for his time with the band

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2015, 02:14:43 PM »
Hope someone goes and records this.

I'd go if it were a lot less than 12 hours away.

Very cool.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2015, 11:36:11 PM »

Of course. It narrowly lost to Manitoba's Wild Kingdom.

Calvin6s

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2015, 11:51:20 PM »
Suggestions for questions:

Can you be more explicit in your current role of the writing process?  Would you like that role to change, and if so, how?  Is there anything outside your influence that is stopping that change?

Online Skeever

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2015, 12:15:50 AM »
Anyone here definitely going?

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2015, 03:48:21 AM »
Just thought of a great question - it's been rumoured in the past that JLB was considered to replace Bruce Dickinson after he left Iron Maiden in the mid 90's, but as far as I can see this has never actually been confirmed, discussed with or mentioned by the man himself.

It'd be nice if someone here could be bold enough to ask him if this is true, and if so, what exactly took place - did they ever contact him directly about it, did they invite him for an audition, or what?

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2015, 06:41:24 AM »
Just thought of a great question - it's been rumoured in the past that JLB was considered to replace Bruce Dickinson after he left Iron Maiden in the mid 90's, but as far as I can see this has never actually been confirmed, discussed with or mentioned by the man himself.

It'd be nice if someone here could be bold enough to ask him if this is true, and if so, what exactly took place - did they ever contact him directly about it, did they invite him for an audition, or what?

Pre-injury, I think he would have been a great replacement. I don't know anything about it, but the thought is pretty exciting. 1994 Labrie singing for Maiden.. wow.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2015, 08:56:13 AM »

Pre-injury, I think he would have been a great replacement. I don't know anything about it, but the thought is pretty exciting. 1994 Labrie singing for Maiden.. wow.

The only problem with that is we may have never gotten Bruce back into IM since JLB would have been a much better replacement than Blaze and I am a Blaze fan.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2015, 08:59:05 AM »
I'm pretty sure there's nothing there anyway.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MetropolisDLX

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2015, 01:54:19 AM »

I remember JLB said himself on his forum he was asked to fill in for Bruce. I did a quick search and found the post. Scroll down to the bottom.

https://www.jameslabrie.com/forum/index.php?topic=325.0

In case the link doesn't work for some of you, here is a copy and past of his post.

James LaBrie

View Profile

Re: James; please answer that!
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2009, 10:39:48 am »
Hey Everyone ,

The tour is going great. We are having a blast and the fans/ audiences have been nothng short of stellar.
As for the IM debate. We were just about to go into the studio to record Images and Words and had a meeting with  potential Management ( Iron Maiden's )... Rod and Merk. When in convenient proximity they asked what I thought of possibly singing for Maiden. Without hesitation, I said DT was where I belonged and I was not into filling the shoes of another singer, the definitive singer of Maiden. Remember if you will. When I was 22 yrs. old I sang for a popular band in Canada 'Coney Hatch'. They had recorded 3 albums with their original singer. Kicked him out for creative differences and vocal limitations and asked me to join. I did and sang with them for a year. We were writing new material and were about to record when I knew this wasn't going anywhere, this could only exist or not as the original line-up. Not to mention the material was weak. Anyway, I moved on and was glad i did vowing to never sing in a band that had strongly established themselves with their current line-up or singer.
As for Judas Priest, no conversation ever took place. To be honest, no one could have done a better job then Ripper Owens. He did an amazing job singing for Priest. The guy has the perfect voice for that kind of singing.

Okay, now let's move on.

Hope to see you out at one of the shows.

Take care,

James.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2015, 02:06:35 AM »
Wow, never knew that!! Imagine if James had sang on The X Factor and Virtual XI. Which kind of reaction would have that been?

Thanks for the facts!
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Mladen

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2015, 02:17:11 AM »
Those albums would have been extremely different and probably wouldn't have the immensely dark edge that Blaze Bayley brought in. Anyway, James made a good decision, obviously.  ;D