Dream Theater > Dream Theater

In Conversation with James LaBrie

<< < (13/15) > >>

TheGreatPretender:

--- Quote from: Anguyen92 on January 15, 2015, 05:58:27 PM ---Did he mention anything regarding The Theater Equation on how it's going to play out?  It is just them doing the album in its entirety or doing some dialogue in between or something else?

--- End quote ---

No, he didn't mention anything like that, but it was brought up. I don't know about dialogue, but there will definitely be some stage direction. He says he won't have that much rehearsal time with them, pretty much a week, but he's in talks with them over skype, so he'll get his stage directions and things like that by those means. But considering that he didn't bring up any dialogue, I'm guessing it's just going to be the album.

Stef1:
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions in such a detailed way. :yarr

TheGreatPretender:
Always a pleasure.

I just remembered another cool part. He was asking James about his vocal style, and how he developed it, and JLB told an interesting little story. He said that when he was young, and he'd sing a lot, he'd always be singing in the shower, and he'd be singing Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, and his other influences, and apparently his father told him that while he sounded great, he was sounding too much like those other guys, and he needed to find his own voice. (Something I think a lot of singers, myself included, have to face at some point.) So apparently, he'd be walking around the house, just trying various different things with his voice, and I'm paraphrasing here, "until one day, I just did something and I found it really opened me up and allowed me to project my voice a lot easier. And I thought it sounded cool."

fischermasamune:

--- Quote from: TheGreatPretender on January 14, 2015, 09:29:19 PM ---One, they were talking about his vocal stamina, and when he gets to the best condition of the night, and he said that whenever the setlists are put together, he sits down with whoever puts them together and basically says, "These are the songs I could do at the beginning of the night, these are the songs I could do in the middle, and these are the songs I could do at the end," to make the best use of where he's at. I found this to be very interesting. I didn't realize that they actually put that into consideration, although I can't say for sure how long this has been going on.

--- End quote ---

When and who? In that case was it Mike Portnoy who decided the setlist for each concert? Some hours before the concert?

TheGreatPretender:

--- Quote from: fischermasamune on January 16, 2015, 08:06:00 PM ---When and who? In that case was it Mike Portnoy who decided the setlist for each concert? Some hours before the concert?

--- End quote ---

It sounded like he was talking about present tense, so I'm guessing he means currently with JP.

If they did do that with Portnoy, I'm guessing this would have been done at the beginning of the tour, which would basically have given MP a selection of songs which he could plug into the beginning, middle, end part of the concert. At least that's how I understood it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version