Dream Theater > Dream Theater

In Conversation with James LaBrie

<< < (7/15) > >>

cramx3:

--- Quote from: SuperTaco on January 07, 2015, 06:41:24 AM ---
--- Quote from: JiM-Xtreme on January 07, 2015, 03:48:21 AM ---Just thought of a great question - it's been rumoured in the past that JLB was considered to replace Bruce Dickinson after he left Iron Maiden in the mid 90's, but as far as I can see this has never actually been confirmed, discussed with or mentioned by the man himself.

It'd be nice if someone here could be bold enough to ask him if this is true, and if so, what exactly took place - did they ever contact him directly about it, did they invite him for an audition, or what?

--- End quote ---

Pre-injury, I think he would have been a great replacement. I don't know anything about it, but the thought is pretty exciting. 1994 Labrie singing for Maiden.. wow.

--- End quote ---

The only problem with that is we may have never gotten Bruce back into IM since JLB would have been a much better replacement than Blaze and I am a Blaze fan.

TAC:
I'm pretty sure there's nothing there anyway.

MetropolisDLX:

--- Quote ---Just thought of a great question - it's been rumoured in the past that JLB was considered to replace Bruce Dickinson after he left Iron Maiden in the mid 90's, but as far as I can see this has never actually been confirmed, discussed with or mentioned by the man himself.

It'd be nice if someone here could be bold enough to ask him if this is true, and if so, what exactly took place - did they ever contact him directly about it, did they invite him for an audition, or what?
--- End quote ---

I remember JLB said himself on his forum he was asked to fill in for Bruce. I did a quick search and found the post. Scroll down to the bottom.

https://www.jameslabrie.com/forum/index.php?topic=325.0

In case the link doesn't work for some of you, here is a copy and past of his post.

James LaBrie

View Profile

Re: James; please answer that!
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2009, 10:39:48 am »
Hey Everyone ,

The tour is going great. We are having a blast and the fans/ audiences have been nothng short of stellar.
As for the IM debate. We were just about to go into the studio to record Images and Words and had a meeting with  potential Management ( Iron Maiden's )... Rod and Merk. When in convenient proximity they asked what I thought of possibly singing for Maiden. Without hesitation, I said DT was where I belonged and I was not into filling the shoes of another singer, the definitive singer of Maiden. Remember if you will. When I was 22 yrs. old I sang for a popular band in Canada 'Coney Hatch'. They had recorded 3 albums with their original singer. Kicked him out for creative differences and vocal limitations and asked me to join. I did and sang with them for a year. We were writing new material and were about to record when I knew this wasn't going anywhere, this could only exist or not as the original line-up. Not to mention the material was weak. Anyway, I moved on and was glad i did vowing to never sing in a band that had strongly established themselves with their current line-up or singer.
As for Judas Priest, no conversation ever took place. To be honest, no one could have done a better job then Ripper Owens. He did an amazing job singing for Priest. The guy has the perfect voice for that kind of singing.

Okay, now let's move on.

Hope to see you out at one of the shows.

Take care,

James.

YtseJamittaja:
Wow, never knew that!! Imagine if James had sang on The X Factor and Virtual XI. Which kind of reaction would have that been?

Thanks for the facts!

Mladen:
Those albums would have been extremely different and probably wouldn't have the immensely dark edge that Blaze Bayley brought in. Anyway, James made a good decision, obviously.  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version