Author Topic: JRundquist's 2014 Music In Review  (Read 5867 times)

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
Re: JRundquist's 2014 Music In Review
« Reply #70 on: December 29, 2014, 01:51:21 AM »
15.) Arctic Sleep- Passage To Gaia
FFO: Progressive Metal, Post Metal, Doom Metal, All Clean Vocals

This Milwaukee/Chicago based Metal band blew me away with their previous album, Arbors. Their sense of the Post Metal world mixed with Prog and Doom with all clean vocals is so captivating to the ears. One huge difference between Passage To Gaia and Arbors is that PTG has vocals on every song. With the tone of the music I can't imagine anything other than the lower baritone vocals that are used throughout. The band is completely top notch and deserve some love. The dynamics, the progression, the variety, all while staying heavy, it's pure bliss. If this interests you even in the slightest, you are doing yourself a huge injustice by not checking these guys out. And I mean NOW!
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
https://www.thatdrummerguy.com

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #71 on: December 29, 2014, 02:05:28 AM »
14.) Fallujah- The Flesh Prevails
FFO: Atmospheric Death Metal

Fallujah has just mastered a sub-genre that should have come to fruition a long time ago, Atmospheric Death Metal. While yes, other Death Metal bands have done Atmospheric Death metal type music before, none of it has been to this caliber. The instrumentation is very much in the vein of Technical Death Metal, and adding the atmospheric keys and synths over top, makes of a beautiful transcendence of sound. Plenty of people either say this is the album of the year or say that is is completely overrated. I am of the category that is it ONE of the best Metal albums of the year and deserves all the praise it gets from now till eternity. But there are 13 albums that I dig more.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #72 on: December 29, 2014, 02:22:14 AM »
13.) Destrage- Are You Kidding Me? No
FFO: Experimental Metal

Name a band, outside of Japan, that can go from Grindcore to Alternative Rock to Symphonic Metal to Electronica in one song and have it make sense. The only name I can think of is Destrage. Coming from Italy, these absolute masters of their craft. Other bands of this style like For the Imperium are making great strides in showing that you can be absolutely masters of the instrument you play, play simple riffs that goes into the most insane riffs possible all while hitting genres that don't make sense on paper but make all the sense in the world upon listening. Destrage is an absolute mind screw in the best sense of the phrase. They are pushing the boundaries of Experiment, and are truly contributing to the phrase Progressive. Almost as if Mike Patton stayed in Dillinger Escape Plan and unleashed all of his inner experimentations. An absolute must hear album of the year.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #73 on: December 29, 2014, 02:45:23 AM »
12.) Panopticon- Roads To the North
FFO: Atmospheric Black Metal, American Folk, Bluegrass

Yes, you've read that description right. Taking the greatness that is Atmospheric Black Metal and adding Bluegrass and American Folk along with it is one of the sexiest combinations in my humble opinions. It gives a complete new appreciation for both styles of music. While Black Metal is obviously the forefront of the album, the right additions of strings, acoustic folk, fiddle, etc in the right spots, just gives a greatness to this style of music that once you hear, you can't ever take back. I became a fan when the last album, Kentucky, came out. Roads to the North is a bit of a metaphor as the one man project (that does not sound like a one man project) moved from Kentucky to Minnesota to work at Hammerheart Brewery (which has amazing beer by the way). The structure of this album feels like a film score and it is gorgeous in it's Black Metal attack. I guess you could also call this band North American Folk Metal, that does have a nice ring to it. As far as I know this band will forever remain a studio band, but if the band ever becomes a full on live band, and considering he lives in Minnesota now, I am just a Facebook message away.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #74 on: December 29, 2014, 02:46:53 AM »
11.) Crimson Shadows- Kings Among Men
FFO: Dragonforce meets Amon Amarth

Not only is this the Power Metal album of the year, this may be one of the greatest Power Metal albums to ever exist. take the speed and technicality of Dragonforce, take out the overtop solos and have Johan from Amon Amarth style vocals and you have one of the best Canadian musical exports, Crimson Shadows. the band's latest album is FINALLY getting the band some recognition. In fact, this is the first time I've heard of them and I am spellbound that I have not discovered these guys before. I absolutely love this album to death and honestly, I am amazed that it missed the cut in my top 10 because in another reality, it would be my number 1 album no questions asked. If you want Dragonforce without the cheese, or you wish Amon Amarth sounded more Power Metal, CHECK THESE GUYS OUT IMMEDIATELY!!!

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #75 on: December 29, 2014, 02:53:54 AM »
Alright folks, that is all I am doing for now. I am heading to bed and when I wake up, the list shall continue.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #76 on: December 29, 2014, 07:53:00 AM »
Last one sounds intriguing  :tup

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #77 on: December 29, 2014, 01:02:38 PM »
THE TOP 10

10.) Triptykon- Melana Chasmata
FFO: Doom Metal, Avant Garde Metal

Tom G. Warrior, what is there to say about this man that isn't already said? He has his stances and he stands by them wholeheartedly. He has an incredible voice for the the styles he sings and an amazing sense of songwriting. It's sad that this album nearly made him claim his own life. It's been reported that Warrior was all set to kill himself before finishing up this album but his girlfriend talked him out of it. Honestly, it's a great thing because 1.) No one should have to take their own life and 2.) This is easily the best Triptykon album to date and one of Warrior's best albums ever. A lot of people will disagree and say that the first Triptykon album is better, and while on some points it is, there is much more variation and experimentation on Melana Chasmata. They are not even in drastic ways, just more tempo variation in some ways, or expanding on short ideas they were only hinted at on Eparistera Daimones. With what hopes to be a new found aspect on life, Hopefully Warrior takes this new chance of life and does everything possible to do the best he can with his endeavors in the future. There is enough pain and sorrow on Melana Chasmata, hopefully like Trent Reznor with The Downward Spiral, he never needs top be in that heads pace again to keep making amazing music. But as for Melana Chasmata, it's perfect from start to finish.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #78 on: December 29, 2014, 01:29:48 PM »
9.) Bloodbath- Grand Morbid Funeral
FFO: Classic Death Metal

Bloodbath has had many legendary Death Metal members in their alumni. I don't think anyone would have guessed that of all people to replace the second departure of Mikael Akerfeldt, that Paradise Lost vocalist, Nick Holmes, would return to doing growls and take over the Death Metal supergroup. There has been enough people hating on the vocals on this album, feeling they don't fit. This again, is taking the aspect of comparing new material to a band's past catalog instead of just appreciating the album for what it is. Yes Holmes' growls are not nearly as powerful as Akerfeldt, nor Peter Tägtgren, but Holmes has never been that kind of growler. He brings in the CLASSIC Death Metal growls and gives the whole album the classic feel. early day Grave, Death, Entombed, etc. That's what it showcases here. You really gotta have that appreciation of Old School Death Metal to feel the love here. If you can, you will appreciate early the best straight up Death Metal album of the year. Dirty, raw, aggressive Metal that feels like it was written in 1991. I would ask of nothing more.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #79 on: December 29, 2014, 01:57:36 PM »
8.) Black Crown Initiate- The Wreckage Of Stars
FFO: Technical Death Metal, Progressive Metal

Black Crown Initiate is slowly but surely taking the Metal world by storm. Last year's EP, Song Of The Crippled Bull, showed that the band is capable of writing Metal that has a sense of being insanely technical, yet listenable, yet atmospheric. When I got to interview the band earlier this year (the second interview of the band, EVER) I got a sneak peak at what was to come for The Wreckage Of Stars. I got to hear an unmixed, unmastered, version of the final song, Linear, played through a cell phone. Even then I was spellbound by what a transition the band had made from the EP. Much like the EP was one song and the album showcases what the band is fully capable of. The band is capable of going hyper speed like Fleshgod Apocalypse, to laid back and proggy like Cynic to atmospheric like Solstafir and the acoustics of Opeth all on the turn of a dime. And instead of just making it sound like a hodgepodge of ideas, it all flows together seamlessly. I hope only for the best for Black Crown Initiate because they earned all the success and upcoming success the band gets.Totally great guys making some of the most remarkable music in Metal today.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #80 on: December 29, 2014, 02:28:04 PM »
6.) The Contortionist- Language
FFO: Progressive Metal, Atmospheric Rock

I've stated before that this is the perfect chill out and relax Metal album of 2014, and I still stand by that. The band has went through major changes since Intrinsic, the biggest being new frontman Michael Lessard, bassist Jordan Eberhardt, and for the first time, keyboards by keyboardist, Eric Guenther. The band is continuing their adventures in the Atmospheric and Prog realms, which honestly, is the best decision they could make. While there is still plenty of great heavy moments on Language, it is a lot more laid back on intensity. It goes without saying that the standout member of the album is, without question, Mr. Michael Lessard. His clean vocals are absolute perfection and his growls are just as ferocious as Jonathan Carpenter. If Cynic started in 2007 with no prior notions, they would be The Contortionist today. I love the direction the band is taking and they are only going to get better as time rolls on.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #81 on: December 29, 2014, 05:24:19 PM »
5.) Nightingale- Retribution
FFO: Progressive Metal, Progressive Rock, Melodic Metal

Dan Swano has return with the first new Nightingale album since 2007. Unlike the feel of the last couple albums, this album focuses a bit more on 80s Progressive Rock instead of 70s Progressive Rock. It is complete impossible for Dan Swano to make a bad album, or even a mediocre album. Nightingale proves that even more. The songs are the right blend of Melodic, proggy, and heavy. The vocals are clean and soaring and the musicianship is fantastic. The story is very compelling and tugs at your heartstrings. While technically, the album comes out in January 2015, the album is out in other areas of the world (LEGALLY) so I am considering this a 2014 release. If I didn't this would probably top the 2015 Album of The Year charts. If you live in North America, just be on the lookout for this album in just a couple weeks, otherwise go check this out and bask in the glory that is Dan Swano.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #82 on: December 29, 2014, 05:37:27 PM »
4.) Devin Townsend Project- Z2 Sky Blue
FFO: Progressive Metal, Pop Metal, New Age, Ambient

What's this? A Devin Townsend album that is not in the Top 2 this year? As shocking as it sounds, it happened. Partially because there is 3 other albums I like more. That said, I am in love with this album. I can already feel the hate that will commence after I post this (I'd be more shock if there wasn't hate). I don't feel Devin lost his touch nor is running out of ideas. Granted, he is pushing himself hard, but I feel it is paying off. With this half of Z2, Devin and Co. They explore more of the Addicted and Epicloud eras of the band, while also harkening back to Accelerated Evolution at time and leaving some ambient room of Ghost and parts of Ki. It's a fantastic album with poppy, catchy songs that are heavy, if Devin wants to make these kinds of albums, Ziltoid bless him! Devin has never let me down and as much of a fanboy I know I am, I can pinpoint when, if ever, Devin would start to lose it. He hasn't. Basically, if you love the poppy, catchy, fun side of the DTP, Sky Blue is for you.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #83 on: December 29, 2014, 05:52:38 PM »
3.) Anathema- Distant Satellites
FFO: Progressive Rock, Atmospheric Rock (Fist Half) Electronic (Second Half)

No album has made me cry more than Distant Satellites this year. In typical Anathema fashion, the band always finds a new way to grab your heartstrings and pull them until the waterworks. But with all of that said the band felt that the style of the band needs to stay fresh and that's what this album does. The first half of the album is Pure Anathema in the fashion of the last two albums, Weather Systems and We're Here Because We're Here. The middle song named Anathema is basically a dedication to everyone that has made Anathema what they are today. And the second half goes into the Electronic realm. Considering former acoustic drummer John Douglas now plays keys and electronic drums while drummer Daniel Cardoso is now full time acoustic drummer. Steven Wilson had his way on mixing a couple of the electronic songs as well giving them another special touch. Anathema may be going into new territories with future releases from the band, but with Distant Satellites, they show that the emotional power will forever be in the band.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #84 on: December 29, 2014, 06:07:32 PM »
2,) Devin Townsend Project- Z2 Dark Matters
FFO: The original Ziltoid Album, Progressive Metal, Light Strapping Young Lad moments

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA? Hevy Devy did not top my 2014 list? What sorcery is this? Well it goes like this....no wait I'll save that for the review of the Number 1 Album Of the Year. Devin has been talking about doing a second Ziltoid album for years now. The main reason being that he felt the first Ziltoid album felt more like a demo and wanted to do a proper story of the Coffee loving, farting Ziltoidian alien. Devin and Co. did that this year with Dark Matters. Along with the hate for Sky Blue I expect just as much hate, if not more, from Dark Matters, there is something you gotta keep in mind, it is meant to be a bad, cheesy, radio play. Musically everyone in the band completely shines. Ryan Van Poederooyn in particular shines brightest with some of the most impressive drumwork in his recorded career. Having to follow up what the Drumkit From Hell did on ZTO is no easy task. I wrote enough about Dark Matters and Sky Blue in my full scale review on my website thatdrummerguy.com so there is no need to rehash everything about this album. But simply put, This is a over the top, musically chaotic, but muically pleasing, cheesy, coffee spewing, fart lashing, absurd metaphor implying, radio play. If you can't behind that, you'll hate this, if you can, you will love this.

But what on Earth can make this album Number 2 on a self proclaimed Hevy Devy fanboy Best of 2014 list?

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #85 on: December 29, 2014, 06:42:00 PM »

1.) Ne Obliviscaris- Citadel
FFO: Progressive Metal, Extreme Metal, Melodic Metal

Way back in 2012 Ne Obliviscaris put out their debut album, Portal Of I, which I still say may be the finest debut album to ever exist. But that year was also Devin Townsend Project's Epicloud. I was so torn between these two albums that literally the last day of doing reviews, I flipped a coin. Whoever got 3 out of 5 won. Epicloud won. This year, I was very torn between all top 4 albums this year because all 4 albums hit me in different ways that were worthy of the number 1 spot. What made this band win? Well, while there is only 6 tracks on the new album, and at that, only 3 songs. This is an absolute monster of emotions. All three songs have moments of the most sheer brilliance of 2014, in particular the ending of Painters of the Tempest (Part II): Triptych Lux, is the closest thing to Anathema to almost make me tear up. Amidst all the chaos that NeO is capable of, there are the moments of melodic beauty that makes this album over the top on emotions. The song Pyrrhic starts off absolutely insane and starting from the middle onwards has a magnificent Post Rock section that you would never expect and blows you away. Obviously the drums are so intense and perfect, the star of the show is Clean Vocalist/Violinist Tim Charles. I would not have the same love and affection for this band without his violin and without his soaring clean vocals amongst the extreme Metal being played. Whether you think they are just Opeth with violin (a term that no longer fits the band, if it ever did), a band you only know from a pledge campaign this year, or band with an unpronounceable name so there's no point in listening to them; you need to check these guys out and do it right after reading this. They are embarking on a massive 2015 tour next year, I just hope it hits Minnesota so I can do a proper interview with the guys like I've wanted to since Portal Of I. Without question the best album of 2014 if not the best album in the 2010's so far.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #86 on: December 29, 2014, 08:07:44 PM »
Still have to check Citadel and Dark Matters. Loved Distant Satellites from day one :heart - it actually might be my #2 fav Anathema album. And to be honest, I was pretty disappointed with Sky Blue. The melodies are just... weird, even for Devin. I still don't get it. Excellent list dude, those are lots of albums to check (quite literally :lol ).

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #87 on: December 30, 2014, 09:48:16 AM »
Just gave a taste to the Wings Denied, and liked what I heard. Instant purchase.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #88 on: December 30, 2014, 10:08:32 AM »
What happened to number 7?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #89 on: December 30, 2014, 11:19:15 AM »
 :lol

Offline Leprous

• Especially Special
« Reply #90 on: December 30, 2014, 02:15:15 PM »
Citadel at the top spot, couldn't agree more!
Til the moment comes around, like I've been here once before, and I'm questioning the truth, no escaping déjà vu...

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #91 on: December 30, 2014, 02:31:18 PM »
Sorry guys, not sure why 7 didn't post. here you go:

7.) Anaal Nathrakh- Desideratum
FFO: The complete and utter soundtrack to the end of the world

As varied of a musical "expert" I would like to consider myself to be, I love when a band is capable of branching out and showing what influences they can bring to the table and still have it make sense to the purpose of a band. Anaal Nathrakh is a prime example of this. The band is notorious for their absolute chaos of Black Metal, Grindcore, and industrial, but on recent albums the band has started adding something that is foreign to a lot of bands who play in similar styles...harmonies and melodies and *gasp* clean vocals. A lot of tr00 fans are upset by this and miss the primal rage the band had and only had. I for one, find the band has made the best decision they could ever make by doing this. While I like my fair share of chaotic music, adding a sense of clarity in the music as well makes everything that much more listenable. The cleans, melodies, and harmonies, are not out of place and make the music that much more appealing. The sheer chaos is still there and may even be crazier than ever before, but having both sides to the band keeps the band fresh and writing some of their best material to date. Desideratum is their best album to date. I simply can't wait to see these guys at Maryland Deathfest in May.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #92 on: December 30, 2014, 02:57:45 PM »
Maybe it's a lack of interest, or maybe just that it's the holidays, but those that have enjoyed the thread, thank you! I will add the other albums that are worth listening to down the road.

Until then, here is a recap of the Top 100:

1.) Ne Obliviscaris- Citadel
2.) Devin Townsend Project- Z² Dark Matters
3.) Anathema- Distant Satellites
4.) Devin Townsend Project- Z² Sky Blue
5.) Nightingale- Retribution
6.) The Contortionist- Language
7.) Anaal Nathrakh- Desideratum
8.) Black Crown Initiate- The Wreckage of Stars
9.) Bloodbath- Grand Morbid Funeral
10.) Triptykon- Melana Chasmata
11.) Crimson Shadows- Kings Among Men
12.) Panopticon- Roads To The North
13.) Destrage- Are You Kidding Me? No.
14.) Fallujah- The Flesh Prevails
15.) Arctic Sleep- Passage of Gaia
16.) Wings Denied- Mirrors for a Prince
17.) Bend Sinister- Animals
18.) Sanctuary- The Year The Sun Died
19.) Distorted Harmony- Chain Reaction
20.) Goatwhore- Constricting Rage of the Merciless
21.) Winterfylleth- The Divination Of Antiquity
22.) Evergrey- Hymns For The Broken
23.) Lantlôs- Melting Sun
24.) Kyng- Burn The Serum
25.) While Heaven Wept- Suspended At Aphelion
26.) Crib45- Marching Through the Borderlines
27.) Piano   - Salvage Architecture
28.) Killer Be Killed- Killer Be Killed
29.) Boris- Noise
30.) Insomnium- Shadows Of The Dying Sun
31.) Vanishing Point- Distant Is the Sun
32.) Revocation   - Deathless
33.) Beyond Creation   - Earthborn Evolution
34.) Novembers Doom- Bled White
35.) Cynic- Kindly Bent To Free Us
36.) Skull Fist- Chasing The Dream
37.) Cannibal Corpse   - A Skeletal Domain
38.) Agalloch- The Serpent & The Sphere
39.) Spires- The Whisperer
40.) I.N.C. (Indestructible Noise Command)- Black Hearse Serenade
41.) Ancient VVisdom- Sacrificial   
42.) Eluveitie- Origins
43.) Primordial- Where Greater Men Have Fallen   
44.) Cormorant- Earth Diver
45.) Opeth- Pale Communion
46.) Demon Hunter- Extremist
47.) Equilibrium- Erdentempel   
48.) Casualties of Cool- Casualties of Cool
49.) Gridlink- Longhena   
50.) Trees on Mars- The Sapling   
51.) Voyager- V
52.) Mastodon- Once More 'Round The Sun
53.) Pallbearer- Foundations of Burden
54.) Saor- Aura
55.) Words Of Farewell- The Black Wild Yonder
56.) Narcotic Wasteland- Narcotic Wasteland
57.) At The Gates- At War With Reality
58.) Nuklear Frost- Subjugation
59.) Alestorm-    Sunset on the Golden Age
60.) Persuader- The Fiction Maze   
61.) Intervals- A Voice Within
62.) KXM- KXM
63.) Noble Beast- Noble Beast
64.) Iced Earth- Plagues Of Babylon
65.) Vallenfyre- Splinters
66.) In My Shiver- Delicate Poison
67.) Deceptic- The Artifact
68.) Skyharbor- Guiding Lights
69.) Folkearth- Balder's Lament
70.) Ghost Brigade- IV-One With the Storm
71.) Affiance- Blackout
72.) Moron Police- Defenders of the Small Yard
73.) Sabaton- Heroes
74.) Falconer- Black Moon Rising
75.) Evil United- Honored By Fire
76.) Wolf- Devil Seed
77.) Wayfarer- Children Of The Iron Age
78.) Vader- Tibi et Igni
79.) Axel Rudi Pell- Into the Storm
80.) Lvcifyre- Svn Eater
81.) Obituary- Inked In Blood
82.) Behemoth- The Satanist
83.) Elvenking- The Pagan Manifesto
84.) Job For A Cowboy- Sun Eater
85.) Weezer- Everything Will Be Alright In The End
86.) Xerath- III
87.) Raunchy- Vices.Virtues.Visions.
88.) Conquering Dystopia- Conquering Dystopia
89.) Within Temptation- Hydra
90.) Prong- Ruining Lives
91.) Devil You Know- The Beauty Of Destruction
92.) Kissin' Dynamite- Megalomania
93.) Origin- Omnipresent
94.) Alcest- Shelter
95.) Animals As Leaders- The Joy of Motion
96.) Dynahead- Chordata II
97.) Bast- Spectres
98.) Woods of Desolation- As The Stars
99.) Indian- From All Purity
100.) Today Is the Day- Animal Mother

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #93 on: December 31, 2014, 02:02:04 AM »
Thanks a million for this... It was great to follow you through.. Never heard of Ne Obliviscaris before, gave them a try last night and WAWWW  :eek

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #94 on: December 31, 2014, 10:00:52 AM »
Nice to see Retribution in top 5, it's my AOTY :metal

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #95 on: January 01, 2015, 07:29:42 AM »
Wat Nightingale are back I have to listen to this immediately :dangerwillrobinson:

Also a big :hifive: for having the same #1 as I do.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #96 on: January 01, 2015, 02:46:30 PM »
Thanks again guys for checking out this thread. I'm glad to see that I can still show off music that people haven't heard before and discovering new music.

Since it's 2015, why not start off with me first post of the year with my Favorite things of 2014 that are not about new music? Everyone knows how crazy I am, and how crazy I am about music but I don't talk enough about the other stuff that I actually do in life. So here you go:

Favorite Concerts of 2014:
Every concert that I did an interview for
Devin Townsend Project/Animals As Leaders/Monuments
Goblin playing the film score to Susperia in it's entirety

Favorite Films of 2014
Guardians Of The Galaxy
Interstellar
Godzilla
The Hobbit- Battle Of The Five Armies
A Million Ways To Die In The West

Favorite TV Shows of 2014:
Fargo
Justified
Archer
South Park/Simpsons/Family Guy

Favorite Games of 2014:
South Park: The Stick Of Truth
Wolfenstein: The New Order
Watch Dogs
*All other games I've played came out before 2014*

Favorite Scaremongering Moments of 2014 That Changed Absolutely Nothing:
Guns
Ebola
South Korea
Social Media
Basically every trendy news story that is a hot button issue for 3 weeks then fades away and no one cares about it ever again.

Least Favorite Moments/People That Popular Culture Cares About in 2014:
Kim Kardashian's ass on a magazine breaking the internet when you go onto a different website, you see her do much much worse.
Jay-Z and Beyonce being known as America's Royal couple and people believing the story that they were breaking up, all so they could sell tickets.
Taylor Swift denouncing music streaming, specifically Spotify, because it takes away music sales, all to have her music on Google's streaming service instead.
All pop songs are about big asses now. I have nothing against big asses, but it's sad time in society that Sir Mix's A Lot's parody song about asses is now the only thing people care about in their music.
Hand claps replacing a snare drum in all pop music. All pop songs are now songs that are at 120-160BPM with a hand claps on every beat. Simply annoying, then again I can do a whole other rant about Top 40 music in general.

If I am missing a list that you guys wanna see from me about last year, ask away, I'm feeling frisky to get this stuff out my system and start fresh in 2015.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #97 on: January 01, 2015, 02:52:35 PM »
"All pop songs are about big asses now."

um.... I didn't know Nicki Minaj was pop, and that one song about big booties = all pop is now about big asses which is just ridiculously false.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #98 on: January 01, 2015, 02:57:40 PM »
"All pop songs are about big asses now."

um.... I didn't know Nicki Minaj was pop, and that one song about big booties = all pop is now about big asses which is just ridiculously false.

Nicki Manaj, Beyonce, Meghan Trainer, Miley Cyrus and that annoying twerking stuff, there is much more. Anytime I am subjected to hearing Top 40 radio, every other song is about body image, and or appreciating asses. I get that I live in America where the first amendment is in full affect, but I wish those who can capture an audience would do more than just shake their ass and talk about how great they think it is.

Offline Jinkies

« Reply #99 on: January 02, 2015, 09:28:33 AM »
Out of all those artists only Nicki Minaj actually has a song about twerking.

In short, get over yoself.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #100 on: January 02, 2015, 02:05:13 PM »
Out of all those artists only Nicki Minaj actually has a song about twerking.

In short, get over yoself.

I only mentioned one person twerking. But yes, I will get over myself right away.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #101 on: January 04, 2015, 04:25:37 PM »
even if not really posting. i be following.
still interested in the other 700+ albums.
and curious wht Closure In Moscow and Sparky didnt crack the top 100.

Online goo-goo

« Reply #102 on: January 04, 2015, 04:32:31 PM »
Last week I discovered Skyharbor - Guiding Lights. Was released in Nov 2014. I have been playing this non-stop for the last couple of days. Awesome stuff.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #103 on: January 04, 2015, 04:48:37 PM »
So I just listened to the new Nightingale album for the first time.

Yeah, this is incredible. Chasing the Storm Away might be my favourite song of the year.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #104 on: January 04, 2015, 07:43:17 PM »
Glad to see you guys are still digging the thread.

I still have about 45 GBs of 2014 music that I can give a fair shot of reviewing so I may even do more as soon as tomorrow. So stay tuned.