Author Topic: Question  (Read 2301 times)

Offline Isolde

Question
« on: August 08, 2009, 05:07:29 PM »
I'm going to be playing Fur Elise in my church this month and the lady who coordinates the special music talents did not seem pleased at my selection. I'm trying to figure out why. I think Fur Elise is perfectly appropriate for a church setting. Is it a bug up her butt or am I missing some HUGE piece of information in why Fur Elise is not appropriate to play in a church?

Offline Aadish

Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 06:17:12 PM »
I would guess she reacted the way she did towards your choice because of the awfully mainstreamish nontalented song you chose. Don't pick something that's appropriate, pick something you would really like to perform.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 06:19:39 PM »
I would guess she reacted the way she did towards your choice because of the awfully mainstreamish nontalented song you chose. Don't pick something that's appropriate, pick something you would really like to perform.

I have to agree with this. It's a nice piece of music, but it's basically the most overplayed piano piece in the world. She reacted that way probably because she's heard it a thousand other times.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Isolde

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 06:51:31 PM »

i did. and i really wanted to learn this song.
and so what if she's heard it a dozen and 3 times .. when you think of Fur Elise you think of the begining part .. but how many people know the middle sections (the different parts?)?

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 09:17:01 AM »
Well, Beethoven was somewhat of a womanizer and that piece has nothing to do with religion or church.  In fact, it's called "FOR Elise" in English.  So, basically, you're playing a piece in church that's dedicated to some chick and was written by a womanizer.  Maybe that's what she has taken issue with?  Why don't you play something by Bach instead?  That would probably be more appropriate for church....

And, please note - I love Beethoven's music.       
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline Isolde

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 09:23:41 AM »
Well, Beethoven was somewhat of a womanizer and that piece has nothing to do with religion or church.  In fact, it's called "FOR Elise" in English.  So, basically, you're playing a piece in church that's dedicated to some chick and was written by a womanizer.  Maybe that's what she has taken issue with?  Why don't you play something by Bach instead?  That would probably be more appropriate for church....

And, please note - I love Beethoven's music.       

It's still a beautiful song. and its too late now to learn another piece. I will heed all your advice next time and do something more "sacred" maybe some Bach.

Offline SnakeEyes

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 10:41:18 AM »
Yes, all of Beethoven's music is just.... I know this is cliche.... AMAZING. 
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline Isolde

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 12:07:20 PM »
Yes, all of Beethoven's music is just.... I know this is cliche.... AMAZING. 

So your stance on playing this piece in a church setting is strictly from a musical perspective?

Offline SnakeEyes

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 07:21:42 PM »
I'm not following what you mean.  I think it would be perfectly appropriate to play if it weren't dedicated to a woman and written by someone who was as sexually promiscuous as Beethoven.  Musically, it's beautiful....

Offline Isolde

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 12:08:59 PM »
Just wanted to let you all know that playing this song went well in church and everyone was amazed (no one was like "ew, bethoven in church").  :biggrin:

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 02:17:16 PM »
Mondscheinsonate FTW.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ZachyDou

• Keyboard wizard in training
  • "Haha... Yeah..."
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2009, 10:03:30 AM »
I'm going to be playing Fur Elise in my church this month and the lady who coordinates the special music talents did not seem pleased at my selection. I'm trying to figure out why. I think Fur Elise is perfectly appropriate for a church setting. Is it a bug up her butt or am I missing some HUGE piece of information in why Fur Elise is not appropriate to play in a church?

Fur Elise is a rediculously overrated piece
in fact, my piano teacher hates the song so much that even though its on the curriculum for Suzuki Grade 4 piano, she wouldnt let me play it

Offline Isolde

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2009, 01:26:10 PM »

Fur Elise is a rediculously overrated piece
in fact, my piano teacher hates the song so much that even though its on the curriculum for Suzuki Grade 4 piano, she wouldnt let me play it

How can you people [that play piano] not appreciate the complexity of the peice. There are SOOOOOOOO many mood changes its a great thing to play to learn how to deal with sudden mood changes!  :angry:

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2009, 04:47:39 PM »
Fur Elise is amazing. That is all.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Isolde

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2009, 07:41:17 PM »
Fur Elise is amazing. That is all.

Thank you!  :hefdaddy