Author Topic: Jurassic World  (Read 33990 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Jurassic World
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2014, 06:29:27 PM »
But look at that picture you just posted. What's the difference? The second one has all the "modules" activated. It has the fake blur, the fake particle generator ... all gimmicky things that are designed to divert the attention from the fact that in essence, it still looks fake as hell.

So, sure, the new Jurrasic movie will run at a higher resolution. There will be more scenes with dinosaurs in it. But they still look fake as hell. Once they move a millimeter it's immediately clear they're just pasted in.
21 years later, and basically almost nothing has improved.
Or rather, they just booted the CGI machines, loaded up the dinosaur models and just went through the motions.

It's not gimmicks, it's basic compositing, which is a core process in integrating layers together in any scene. These same gimmicks were just as essential to the original Jurassic Park.

That is my very point. It's been over 20 years of CGI, but in essence, a scene is still constructed by just layering different modules on top of each other, vs an integrated approach that would make it look much more natural.

I honestly have no idea what you are trying to say.

Wow, I had not even realized that.  What makes it even more cool and genius is that the rain, fog, and darkness DOES fit the mood perfectly.  Really awesome that they did it that way.

Rain, fog, and darkness fits the mood of everything perfectly. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2014, 11:51:28 PM »
Jaws, Jurassic Park. Tremors.

It's so hard to make a truly great monster movie.

What others are there ?

EDIT : Forgot about Alien.

That is because those, and other great "monster movies" are not really about the monster. Jaws isn't about a shark. It is about a small community of people and how they react to a sudden terror that disrupts their idyllic life. That the monster is a shark is largely irrelevant.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2014, 05:46:12 AM »
Jaws, Jurassic Park. Tremors.

It's so hard to make a truly great monster movie.

What others are there ?

EDIT : Forgot about Alien.

That is because those, and other great "monster movies" are not really about the monster. Jaws isn't about a shark. It is about a small community of people and how they react to a sudden terror that disrupts their idyllic life. That the monster is a shark is largely irrelevant.
Bingo.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2014, 09:55:23 AM »
Chris Pratt saying "Depends on what kind of dinosaur they cooked up in that lab" would be perfect for a CSI Miami/Horatio Caine opening meme.   :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2014, 11:22:58 AM »
Methosaurus. :hat

Offline adace

« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2014, 04:07:34 AM »
I'm definitely gonna see this movie, but judging from the trailer it just seems like little more than a straight up remake/cash grab. Besides the CGI effects, there doesn't seem to be much that's original or innovative about it. That said, it does look better than the sequels.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2014, 04:31:02 AM »
Will see it but it has some big shoes to fill...mainly because the first two were written by my fave author Michael Crichton RIP (6 yrs already!)

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2014, 10:44:14 AM »
That said, it does look better than the sequels.

Well, better than 3 at least. The second one is my favorite Jurassic Park movie.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2014, 02:18:53 PM »
That said, it does look better than the sequels.

Well, better than 3 at least. The second one is my favorite Jurassic Park movie.

Where have you been all my life?   :rollin

Seriously.  I thought I was the only one.   Everyone looks at me funny.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2014, 09:07:30 PM »
The fuck? The second one is fun and I like it, but how can you crazy people say it's better than the first?
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2014, 01:52:19 AM »
The fuck? The second one is fun and I like it, but how can you crazy people say it's better than the first?

I don't know really. Despite it's few flaws, I still enjoy watching it more than the first one, which still kicks ass.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2014, 04:20:02 AM »
Exactly.  Watching it again over the holiday confirmed it.

1)Jurassic Park

2)The Lost World

3)Jurassic Park III
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2014, 04:45:34 AM »
How many of you would go to that Park after seeing the first 3 movies and why the fuck do scientists continue to bring back the most deadly dinosaurs from the past?! :lol

Haven't they learned their lesson yet?!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2014, 04:52:08 AM »
No doubt.

Hey guys, next time let's work on the dodo, mmkay?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2014, 08:36:00 AM »
The deadly dinos are the coolest. I don't think I'd want to go to a park full of herbivores. There would still be the wow factor, but it would get boring really quick.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2014, 10:53:00 AM »
Yeah what's the point of roller-coasters if there's absolutely zero chance you will get killed ?

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2015, 08:55:31 AM »
I was watching the extended trailer again yesterday and had a thought. I bet they make us feel bad for the T-rex in this movie. He's probably in a pen, not even on display, because the crowds are so over him. In the trailer, the girl is holding a road flare behind a big metal door that's slowly opening. I'm willing to bet they lure the T-rex out with the flare (like Malcom did in JP) and he fights/kills the new hybrid dino.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2015, 11:16:10 AM »
I'd imagine the Hybrid is much stronger than a Spinosaurus, and that one took out a Rex with ease. Also, the Rex in this movie is supposed to be the same one from 20 years ago, so she's old and crotchety. I doubt she'd stand a chance.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2015, 11:41:16 AM »
I'd imagine the Hybrid is much stronger than a Spinosaurus, and that one took out a Rex with ease. Also, the Rex in this movie is supposed to be the same one from 20 years ago, so she's old and crotchety. I doubt she'd stand a chance.

I didn't realize that. Maybe they sacrifice her in order to make an escape.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2015, 10:34:23 PM »
Exactly.  Watching it again over the holiday confirmed it.

1)Jurassic Park

2)The Lost World

3)Jurassic Park III
Bingo. And I have high hopes for World. I'm going to predict it falls between 1 and 2 in terms of overall goodness.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2015, 02:48:08 AM »
I think The Lost World is the best. And I predict this new one will be way less good than 1 and 2, but still better than 3.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2015, 04:51:14 AM »
I had no problem with Lost World. I absolutely hated the third. I watched it once and swore I'd never watch it again.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2015, 05:06:19 AM »
I saw JPIII once over a decade ago, and thought it was pretty pointless and dull. The second one is over the top ridiculous with characters surviving situations they really shouldn't have, but I liked it.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2015, 02:59:41 PM »
I had no problem with Lost World. I absolutely hated the third. I watched it once and swore I'd never watch it again.

The third is an awful movie.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2015, 04:16:48 PM »
Jurassic Park > The Lost World > Jurassic World > Jurassic Park III

A prediction.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2015, 07:05:21 PM »
I like the second movie, but it works more on a set piece level than as a whole. It's basically two movies. There's maybe an hour of material in it that I really like, almost as much as JP1, but the ending with the T-Rex on the run in the city is pretty meh. JP3 is ok. I definitely don't think it's as bad as most people say, but it isn't great either. Sam Neill and Laura Dern being back makes it tolerable though. It's like a lazy Sunday movie.

Offline 425

« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2015, 01:59:53 PM »
The second movie would have been excellent if they had stuck to Crichton's book. All of the weaknesses are the parts where they tried to make it more like a traditional Hollywood film by deviating from Crichton. Like the whole "oh now they brought the dinosaur to the mainland" thing and the whole "surviving dinosaurs via the power of gymnastics!" thing. As is it's not an especially good film. It's been years since I've watched either it or III, but I recall liking III better because even though it wasn't very good, at least it knew what it wanted to be about and was consistent in its badness while The Lost World had the good elements of Crichton's novel with a bunch of really awful stuff shoehorned in, so it was confused as to what it wanted to be about.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2015, 02:01:48 PM »
It may have been a sloppy TV edit but the last time I watched JP2 - the editing was TERRIBLE.

Offline 425

« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2015, 02:11:40 PM »
I don't think it's the TV edit. The ending is pretty bad from what I recall.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2015, 02:20:00 PM »
"surviving dinosaurs via the power of gymnastics!"

Yeah that is pretty silly and is probably my only major complaint with The Lost World. I think the bit with the T-Rex in the city is really fun.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2015, 02:23:44 PM »
The second movie would have been excellent if they had stuck to Crichton's book. All of the weaknesses are the parts where they tried to make it more like a traditional Hollywood film by deviating from Crichton. Like the whole "oh now they brought the dinosaur to the mainland" thing and the whole "surviving dinosaurs via the power of gymnastics!" thing. As is it's not an especially good film. It's been years since I've watched either it or III, but I recall liking III better because even though it wasn't very good, at least it knew what it wanted to be about and was consistent in its badness while The Lost World had the good elements of Crichton's novel with a bunch of really awful stuff shoehorned in, so it was confused as to what it wanted to be about.

Spielberg's ode to King Kong ruined the movie for me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2015, 03:05:42 PM »

Almost as bad as " Cooper ends up in a multi dimensional tesseract built by superior higher beings and just happens to end up in his daughter's bedroom BECOZ LUV "

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2015, 04:43:09 PM »

Almost as bad as " Cooper ends up in a multi dimensional tesseract built by superior higher beings and just happens to end up in his daughter's bedroom BECOZ LUV "

That was awful convenient, and confusing, but I liked it. Interstellar is a great movie.

Also, the T. Rex in the city is my favorite part of the movie, because the Rex still looked real. Then they thought, "more CGI means more realism" and the Rex was ruined in Jurassic Park III. But that wasn't even the worst part. The animatronics were god awful. Like those travelling Dinosaur attractions they have at the zoo sometimes. Except when they first meet the Rex. The fluidity of the head was impressive.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2015, 11:12:42 PM »
I liked the T-Rex in the city bit. I think it's the most recognisable part of the film, and it is reminiscent of the ending of the silent film "The Lost World".

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2015, 12:32:43 AM »
I liked the T-Rex in the city bit. I think it's the most recognisable part of the film, and it is reminiscent of the ending of the silent film "The Lost World".
Yeah, it's definitely my favorite part, and is what pops into my head when anyone mentions "The Lost World."

But as far is intensity- the glass cracking when the monorail car is hanging over the edge of the cliff... For me, that was almost on par with the kitchen scene from the first one. Almost.

I will never forgive anyone involved for this scene.