Author Topic: Jurassic World  (Read 33747 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Jurassic World
« Reply #315 on: June 20, 2022, 12:53:40 PM »
Haven't seen the new one (and probably won't, based on what I've heard from people whose opinion I trust), but I would like to say that the dropoff from Jurassic Park to The Lost World is nowhere near as precipitous as the dropoff from The Lost World to Jurassic Park III, and all 3 are better than Jurassic World (I haven't seen Fallen Kingdom).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #316 on: June 20, 2022, 03:30:08 PM »
I would like to say that the dropoff from Jurassic Park to The Lost World is nowhere near as precipitous as the dropoff from The Lost World to Jurassic Park III, and all 3 are better than Jurassic World (I haven't seen Fallen Kingdom).

I definitely agree with the highlighted.  Not 100% sure about JPIII v. JW.  I think I only saw JW once and don't remember disliking it, but it's been...checking...seven years.  As I sit here, my sense is that FK was the absolutely bottom of the barrel.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #317 on: June 21, 2022, 12:27:58 AM »
The Lost World might be one of Spielberg's weaker movies in his filmography and I know he hates it himself but there's still moments in that film like the T-Rex/trailer sequence or the field of raptors that IMO hold up pretty well and are some of the more memorable sequences in the franchise. I think the darker 'look' works fine and I think the musical score for this still has some of the most memorable pieces aside from the original ofc. Don't care much for the San Diego portion and I do find it bizarre for such a big movie they have a blatant plot hole in the movie (the crew being eaten when the ship arrives) - I know this is explained in cut scenes but that doesn't really help the confusion if you only see the movie.

JP3 does look a bit more like a 'made for TV' movie or something. I think the best thing it has going for it is the 90 minute runtime and it doesn't really drag much. The bird cage sequence is arguably the standout, I kinda like them going down the river as well. I do applaud the decision to have the Spinosaur be the big bad because after 2 movies with T-Rex and Velociraptors, it was a nice change of pace - even if the Spinosaur ended up behaving a bit like Jason Voorhees or something. Having Alan back is nice though, in my opinion he is a better lead than Malcolm - who I like a lot more as a side character.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #318 on: June 21, 2022, 03:56:49 AM »
i haven't seen the latest and I don't think I will. But I think JP3 is by far the worst of the 5 films I did see. I even kinda hated it as a kid, which is a rarity. I do like The Lost World, it has a lot of great moments in it.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #319 on: June 21, 2022, 04:49:26 AM »
i haven't seen the latest and I don't think I will. But I think JP3 is by far the worst of the 5 films I did see. I even kinda hated it as a kid, which is a rarity. I do like The Lost World, it has a lot of great moments in it.

Tea Leoni and William H Macy's characters are really annoying in JP3.

The new one is OK I guess, but for the end of a (double) franchise it's plays out with no surprises and hits all the cliches the previous movies did - nothing really final about it.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #320 on: June 21, 2022, 05:41:31 AM »
I kinda have a soft spot for JP3 but I will admit a big reason is nostalgia and the circumstances around me seeing it. So as a kid growing up in the 90s before downloading and streaming really took off, I was mostly limited to seeing movies at home and that was limited to what we had on VHS or what aired on TV. We had JP on VHS and I remember when TLW came out we rented it (back when renting VHS was a thing) and that was a really special memory at the time. Fast forward a few years and I had gotten money for some reason - possibly birthday gift. I was thinking about buying some movies at a store to expand my collection and there in the shelf it was - JP3. I didn't even know they had made a JP3 (as I couldn't follow news at the time) so it was an instant purchase and I probably rushed home to see it, and then probably saw it another 10-15 times in the next 2 months.

While not a great movie I do appreciate parts of it. Yeah William H Macy and Tea Leoni are very annoying, the "Alan"-raptor scene is a farce but the dinosaurs still look a bit more realistic because we're not in "everything has to be CGI" yet. The bird cage part is great. The Spino is solid. There are some other scenes that have stuck with me. One of my biggest laughs across any of these 6 films is Alan Grant going "No force on earth would ever get me to that island again" followed by the 'we can write any number we want on this check' scene and him going.  :lol Also while it's not a huge focus of the movie by any means, I always liked the small 'mystery' scenes when they talk about how the Spino wasn't on InGen's list and them speculating about what InGen really were up to. Sometimes those scenes that leave a lot to the imagination are more memorable than them trying to over explain everything.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #321 on: June 21, 2022, 01:24:28 PM »
i haven't seen the latest and I don't think I will. But I think JP3 is by far the worst of the 5 films I did see.

I think I'd go with:

1. Jurassic Park
2a. Lost World
2b. Dominion
4. Jurassic World
5. JP3
6. Fallen Kingdom
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #322 on: June 21, 2022, 04:53:56 PM »
Jurassic Park
The Lost World
Jurassic World
Jurassic Park III
Dominion
Fallen Kingdom

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #323 on: June 22, 2022, 02:20:11 AM »
I'd probably put them in descending order of how they were released so:

Jurassic Park
The Lost World
Jurassic Park 3
Jurassic World
----------
Fallen Kingdom
Dominion

The last 2 I would put a gap below the rest because the first 4 I could rewatch and have a fun time with but the last 2 were pretty rough

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #324 on: June 22, 2022, 03:27:24 AM »
Jurassic World.
Lost World
Jurassic Park
--------------
Dominion
Fallen Kingdom
--------------
'Alan'

Offline Volante99

« Reply #325 on: August 28, 2022, 11:08:39 PM »

Jurassic Park

Lost World
Jurassic World
Jurassic Park III

Fallen Kingdom
Dominion

I thought Fallen Kingdom was bad but Dominion sunk the franchise to a new low- one of the worst big studio pictures of the last few years, if not decade. Nearly unwatchable, in my opinion.