Author Topic: Jurassic World  (Read 34034 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: Jurassic World
« Reply #280 on: February 14, 2022, 10:48:04 AM »
I watched Lost World and JPIII over the weekend.

Lost world wasn't bad.  Malcolm's kid was obnoxious.  The movie would have been better without her.  Julianne Moore and Vince Vaughan were good, and I liked the big game hunter character.  Obviously, this movie was pre-The West Wing, but it was hard not to think of Richard Schiff's character as Toby Ziegler.  JPIII was just silly.

I'll try and find the two most recent movies at some point.

Laura Dern looks better than she did 30 years ago!

She looked good in the original and III.  I actually liked her with the purple hair in Star Wars, but her outfit made her look like she had a ridiculously long neck.  She looks odd in this shot.  In fact, she looks like a doppelganger of Susan Olsen from the Brady Bunch.

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #281 on: February 15, 2022, 04:46:11 AM »
That doesn't even look like the same person!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #282 on: June 09, 2022, 03:10:42 AM »
This movie left me cold and empty. No nostalgia. No excitement. No fun.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #283 on: June 09, 2022, 03:59:09 AM »
I have heard it is even worse than the last one, which means I am probably not going to watch it. I am kinda done paying for blockbusters that fall below a certain level of competence. Maybe on streaming I will give it a go eventually.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #284 on: June 09, 2022, 04:59:33 AM »
I have heard it is even worse than the last one, which means I am probably not going to watch it. I am kinda done paying for blockbusters that fall below a certain level of competence. Maybe on streaming I will give it a go eventually.

Oh really?  Damn... I was considering shelling out the coin to see it in Imax.  The trailers obviously did their job -  tugging at the nostalgia strings with Dern/Neill/Goldbloom.  I used to be ok going on a Tuesday (cheap seats) to see eye-candy movie, but even the prices on a Tuesday are a little out of hand.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #285 on: June 09, 2022, 09:43:35 AM »
The new one is PRETTY BAD!

It has many flaws, and the story is just not good.

SPOILERS BELOW!

Now it is not about the dinosaurs, not that they are living among humans, making nests in top buildings, that they have them tied with chains, (when in the past they needed huge electrical fortresses). Now it is all about LOCUST SWARM?!?!?!?! REALLY!?!?!?!?!

And the final battle between the dinos? My gosh, really predictable, my older son complained they don't last longer anymore, LOL

My brother gave us the tickets, I would have asked him to buy something else. What a waste of cast and time.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #286 on: June 09, 2022, 12:15:12 PM »
Well... thanks for the heads up.  Disaster averted - for me at least.  I can wait a few years and catch this as it makes the circuit on TV the way the last couple pop up every few months.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #287 on: June 09, 2022, 12:46:11 PM »
I mean honestly.....the first one was cool and different and neat to see.....but the subsequent films have consistently gone downhill. Some were entertaining at times but by in large this franchise has been a mess for a while now.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #288 on: June 09, 2022, 12:48:29 PM »
The Lost World is still the best of the sequels. I wonder if the other sequels would have been any better with Spielberg directing.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #289 on: June 09, 2022, 12:49:06 PM »
Am I the only one did really didn't like the first Jurassic World? I mean, it had cool elements but I really didn't enjoy it at all. It was a well produced Sy-fy original movie in my eyes. I never saw the sequel and have no desire to see this sequel. I'm perfectly happy looking at Jurassic Park as a great movie and not needing anything after.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #290 on: June 09, 2022, 01:14:07 PM »
I'm perfectly happy looking at Jurassic Park as a great movie and not needing anything after.

This is me. I can't recall how many of the sequels I've seen....how many are there? I've seen enough to know that I didn't need to see anymore of them. I watched the first Chris Pratt sequel once....but all in all I think the first movie was 'the' Jurassic Park movie
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #291 on: June 09, 2022, 01:33:56 PM »
The Lost World is still the best of the sequels. I wonder if the other sequels would have been any better with Spielberg directing.

WHAT?  That was a terrible sequel.  That tip of the hat to King Kong was terrible.  The book was light years better.  Spielberg should be shamed for it. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #292 on: June 09, 2022, 01:43:37 PM »

WHAT?  That was a terrible sequel.  That tip of the hat to King Kong was terrible.  The book was light years better.  Spielberg should be shamed for it. 

Compared to the others, it's much more enjoyable, and I like the San Diego finale.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #293 on: June 09, 2022, 02:06:55 PM »
The Lost World is an interesting one because I know a lot of people absolutely hate it and others are in the "yeah but best out of the sequels" camp. I saw both TLW and JP3 a lot as a kid so I guess nostalgia plays its part. I might argue that the movies get progressively worse with each one (will have to see how I feel about Dominion tomorrow) though JP3 or TLW as the best sequel is debatable. TLW has higher ambitions but also stumbles more, JP3 only really feels like it tries to be a 'b-tier' sequel to JP and IMO it's perfectly fine for that. It's also like 95 minutes long and doesn't really drag.

I didn't mind the first JW that much - similar to TFA it was something familiar in a new package. Did not like Fallen Kingdom much at all though.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #294 on: June 09, 2022, 03:03:35 PM »
Am I the only one did really didn't like the first Jurassic World? I mean, it had cool elements but I really didn't enjoy it at all. It was a well produced Sy-fy original movie in my eyes. I never saw the sequel and have no desire to see this sequel. I'm perfectly happy looking at Jurassic Park as a great movie and not needing anything after.

Curious... did you see it live as it was released in '93?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #295 on: June 09, 2022, 03:12:47 PM »

I have no idea hahaha. I would’ve been 8 or 9 I guess. I have virtually no memories of being a kid so no clue. It’s possible.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #296 on: June 09, 2022, 03:49:49 PM »
I really enjoyed The Lost World. It's not as good as the first one, but it's every bit as enjoyable.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #297 on: June 10, 2022, 05:18:25 AM »
Jurassic Park is an all-time classic. The Lost World and Jurassic World to me are highly enjoyable but flawed, I prefer Jurassic World (I find the ending of The Lost World to drag that film down, the island sections are mostly engaging). The rest is trash, this is apparently even worse.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #298 on: June 10, 2022, 10:52:16 PM »
Something that's always annoyed me since Lost World is everytime a new dinosaur appears onscreen, they shake their head. Dino documentaries adopted this and everything else dinosaur related. The only time it's actually made sense is in Dominion when the Pyroraptor shakes snow off it's feathers, but at that point it probably wouldn't care as it's getting ready to pounce. I know it's just a detail they add for realism, to make it look like they're reacting to the environment, but it's just so overdone. I apologize if you never noticed this and now can't unsee it.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #299 on: June 11, 2022, 05:03:54 AM »

I have no idea hahaha. I would’ve been 8 or 9 I guess. I have virtually no memories of being a kid so no clue. It’s possible.

jingle.son and I were just talking about this last night.  I think it's difficult to truly understand how impressive this movie was in 1993.  There were a lot of late 80s/early 90s movies where audiences were seeing (and hearing) things that had never been able to be done in movies before.  The story of the original movie wasn't awful... there was quite a bit of believability to it, and seeing what we saw on the big screen had quite a 'wow' factor.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #300 on: June 11, 2022, 07:32:27 AM »
Saw it at a theater that had recliners. CGI was very well done but yeah the story was pretty crappy. Goldblum crushed it.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #301 on: June 11, 2022, 08:51:57 AM »
Thinking of catching it today solely cause it's gonna be 100+ outside and sitting in an AC theater watching dinosaurs eat people sounds fucking divine.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #302 on: June 11, 2022, 11:16:15 AM »
Thinking of catching it today solely cause it's gonna be 100+ outside and sitting in an AC theater watching dinosaurs eat people sounds fucking divine.
  :rollin
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #303 on: June 11, 2022, 12:19:38 PM »

You can do that at home if you wait a month. Just trying to save you some money.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #304 on: June 11, 2022, 12:33:16 PM »

Without getting too spoilery, the sad reality is if you wanna see dinosaurs eat people you won't even get much of that from this film.  :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #305 on: June 11, 2022, 02:28:47 PM »

Without getting too spoilery, the sad reality is if you wanna see dinosaurs eat people you won't even get much of that from this film.  :lol

Aww man...guess I'll go and watch fighter jets in IMAX then.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #306 on: June 12, 2022, 10:02:21 AM »
Right now looking at initial crowd ratings on Rottentomatoes suggest, the general public enjoys it a lot more than the critics. Will have to wait and see where the score eventually settles down to.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #307 on: June 13, 2022, 02:20:24 AM »
Film with a lot of problems, but I think I enjoyed it more than JP III and Fallen Kingdom.  Awful villain in this one though!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #308 on: June 13, 2022, 06:32:24 AM »

Aww man...guess I'll go and watch fighter jets in IMAX then.

Without having even seen Jurassic, I’ll guaran-damn-tee this was the right call

Offline T-ski

« Reply #309 on: June 13, 2022, 07:29:48 AM »
Everyone I know who has seen it says it’s awful.

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #310 on: June 13, 2022, 10:45:03 AM »
That's why I know that I'm gonna love it!  :coolio   I would have missed out on a lot of great  movies and music if I took other people's opinions to heart.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline pg1067

« Reply #311 on: June 13, 2022, 01:04:16 PM »
That's why I know that I'm gonna love it!  :coolio   I would have missed out on a lot of great  movies and music if I took other people's opinions to heart.

I was going to go over the weekend but got lazy.  Probably will go next weekend.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #312 on: June 19, 2022, 03:26:49 PM »
Well...I have to offer a contrary opinion about the new one.  I went yesterday evening and quite enjoyed it.  Was it as good as the first one?  No.  But it's the first of sequels I've enjoyed (except maybe Lost World, which I know I saw when it was released, but which I only remember from more recent viewings).  Also, the locust swarm thing was a big part of the plot, but it tied into the dinosaur plot nicely.  Also, while there were plenty of standard tropes, there were also places where they easily could have done one but didn't, so that was nice.  I do not at all regret spending the money to see it.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #313 on: June 20, 2022, 12:30:30 AM »
Well...I have to offer a contrary opinion about the new one.  I went yesterday evening and quite enjoyed it.  Was it as good as the first one?  No.  But it's the first of sequels I've enjoyed (except maybe Lost World, which I know I saw when it was released, but which I only remember from more recent viewings).  Also, the locust swarm thing was a big part of the plot, but it tied into the dinosaur plot nicely.  Also, while there were plenty of standard tropes, there were also places where they easily could have done one but didn't, so that was nice.  I do not at all regret spending the money to see it.
This is great to hear!  :tup
Now that I've seen the new Top Gun (which is awesome btw), I can't wait to see Dominion on the big screen.  :corn

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #314 on: June 20, 2022, 02:00:01 AM »

It's not as bad as some are painting it, but it does play it very safe.