Author Topic: Jurassic World  (Read 34052 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Jurassic World
« Reply #210 on: June 20, 2015, 11:13:19 PM »
Heading out to see this now.

Not much to add to what's already been said. It's a solid, enjoyable movie and the throwbacks to the original are placed nicely.

If I had to pick something 'bad'....it'd be that it's fairly predictable. But that is a small nit pic.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #211 on: June 21, 2015, 05:04:44 AM »
The scene with the raptors hunting and then turning was PERFECT. The moment it started talking to them, I was like, OH FUCK.

The final scene was a bit too over the top. I liked the monster fighting raptors that Pratt has reclaimed. I LOVED the release of T-Rex and the two fighting (though the score at this point was super corny). I didn't like the raptor and T-Rex fighting it together. I mean, I get what they were going for, you have a T-Rex/raptor hybrid fighting an actual raptor and T-Rex together. Nature is fighting off mankind's designs. But after the separate fights, it seemed silly and went on for too long. I liked ending it with the water dinosaur though, like no matter how badass they made that thing, it was still encroaching on a habitat where it was in second place.

As someone said on the last page, that military dude was such a ridiculous villain. It was like they were trying to make him as 2D as possible. I liked the park owner and how Hammond-ey he was though, that was a nice touch. The kids' characters were all over the place, but the main girl and guy were alright.

It wasn't perfect, but I liked it.

Offline Tanatra

• Forum Spider
« Reply #212 on: June 21, 2015, 08:56:06 AM »
Just saw it last night, and I pretty much feel the same about it as everyone else in this thread.

I had low expectations going in, and was pleasantly surprised. I don't think anyone was expecting this to surpass the first film in terms of cinematic greatness, and the film makers knew this, so they just had fun with it. The film doesn't take itself too seriously like JP2, and unlike JP3 it actually manages to be entertaining. I liked how they delivered the dinosaur-on-dinosaur violence in spades instead of just filming 2 hours of humans running away from dinosaurs.

With the amount of money this movie is raking in, I'm pretty certain there will be a sequel in two-three years time.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #213 on: June 21, 2015, 10:05:48 AM »
The scene with the raptors hunting and then turning was PERFECT. The moment it started talking to them, I was like, OH FUCK.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #214 on: June 21, 2015, 11:06:53 AM »
I don't think anyone was expecting this to surpass the first film in terms of cinematic greatness, and the film makers knew this, so they just had fun with it.

In my opinion, this is not an excuse. I thought the film was alright, but they pretty much straight up made fun of the whole sequel thing and kept literally praising the first movie in this one, which basically tells me that they weren't even trying to make a movie as good as possible, just a "fun" movie. And it was a fun movie, but it still annoys me somewhat.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #215 on: June 21, 2015, 01:20:36 PM »
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=jurassicpark4.htm

:rollin This movie's box office is staggering. Not because I thought the film was poor ( i loved it ) but because it's just monumental for a 3rd sequel.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #216 on: June 21, 2015, 01:55:14 PM »
I think it making this much is ridiculous..

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #217 on: June 21, 2015, 05:02:52 PM »
They missed an opportunity for a nice meta joke/reference in the beginning. When they were talking about the I-Rex and describing it, there was a great setup for Bryce Dallas Howard to say something like "The Spinosaur didn't test well with audiences".  :biggrin:

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #218 on: June 24, 2015, 09:21:41 AM »
Saw it last night. Thoroughly entertaining movie.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #219 on: June 24, 2015, 09:38:03 AM »

Wait until Star Wars opens in December.....that movie is going to CRUSH and set all new records......

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: June 24, 2015, 10:44:19 AM »

Wait until Star Wars opens in December.....that movie is going to CRUSH and set all new records......

Yeah and it will mostly be down to brand recognition an insane fan expectation. You can't really say the same for JW since JPIII didn't do that well.

Online faizoff

« Reply #221 on: June 24, 2015, 10:50:47 AM »
I am somewhat surprised by the enormous success of JW. I knew it wouldn't lose any money and would make quite a bit but never thought it would be record breaking. The timing was great as well with summer break for schools.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: June 24, 2015, 11:29:46 AM »
I am somewhat surprised by the enormous success of JW. I knew it wouldn't lose any money and would make quite a bit but never thought it would be record breaking. The timing was great as well with summer break for schools.

I am also. Like you said...I think it was timing. It's a good movie but I think the $$$ earned to how good a movie it is ratio is WAY off......

Yeah and it will mostly be down to brand recognition an insane fan expectation. You can't really say the same for JW since JPIII didn't do that well.

whatever the variables may be it's going to set the bar for highest grossing film of all time. Count me in on the 'fan expectation' side.....

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #223 on: June 24, 2015, 11:46:40 AM »
I think Star Wars will beat JW in the long run, but I don't see it making as much money the first weekend, due to the fact that it's coming out in December. I believe the highest grossing first weekend opening is around 90 million dollars, and I think Star Wars might double that, but going over 200 million (207 for JW) in the first weekend, being a December release? I don't see it. But it will probably win over time.

Offline mimipetrucci

« Reply #224 on: June 24, 2015, 11:50:50 AM »
i just love their team work on d end part.  :)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #225 on: June 24, 2015, 03:42:01 PM »
I think Star Wars will beat JW in the long run, but I don't see it making as much money the first weekend, due to the fact that it's coming out in December. I believe the highest grossing first weekend opening is around 90 million dollars, and I think Star Wars might double that, but going over 200 million (207 for JW) in the first weekend, being a December release? I don't see it. But it will probably win over time.

Titanic and Avatar both came out in December.

Make of that what you will.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #226 on: June 24, 2015, 03:45:49 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if Star Wars makes one billion in its opening weekend. People are going to be literally masturbating in the aisles when that movie hits.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #227 on: June 24, 2015, 04:06:38 PM »

Titanic and Avatar both came out in December.

Make of that what you will.

Yes but neither blew the box office away the first weekend, and their earnings came over time, much like Star Wars will.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #228 on: June 24, 2015, 04:25:35 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if Star Wars makes one billion in its opening weekend.

Nor would I. Especially if it opens on a Wednesday as the entire 5 days count as the opening weekend. $200m a day ? Worldwide opening ? Not unrealistic for a movie as hyped and as

hugely anticipated as this.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #229 on: June 27, 2015, 08:20:08 AM »

Well of course Pratt is the flavor of the month so I'm sure that helped a lot.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #230 on: June 27, 2015, 10:02:48 AM »
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=main&id=jurassicpark4.htm

so JW is over a billion now, by hitting that number in 13 days it broke Furious 7's record of fastest to 1 billion by 4 days  :hefdaddy

Offline 425

« Reply #231 on: June 28, 2015, 06:49:07 PM »
*Spoilers ahead*

Just saw this movie. As a fan of the first movie and both of Crichton's books, I'm not quite sure what I think yet. It's definitely the second-best of the franchise (I can't like The Lost World: Jurassic Park having read Crichton's book, because as film adaptions go, that one can only properly be described as an atrocity), and overall a pretty good film for what it is. But I feel like there was a lot of wasted potential.

My favorite thing about Crichton's books and the first movie is that they're not just about dinosaurs. There's certainly tons of dinosaur content in them, all of which is excellent, but there's also plenty of discussion around the relationship between man and nature, whether man can control nature or whether life really does always "find a way." A lot of this is, of course, because of Ian Malcolm. Who Jeff Goldblum plays fantastically. But there's also a lot of other intelligent viewpoints on these questions that are integrated seemlessly into the plot, from characters like Hammond (who brings in the total opposite viewpoint to Malcolm), Grant and Stadler.

Jurassic World has tons of opportunity to make these conversations more interesting. The whole velociraptor training aspect brings a new aspect to the conversation about the relationship between man and nature. On top of that, we have a new category to deal with: heavily genetically modified creatures. There's such an opportunity for the film to take a look at how such a creature can possibly fit in with other, natural beings. Not to mention the questions brough up by the implication that the Indominus Rex includes human DNA. And, to its credit, the film touches on these topics. But I think there was a ton of room to go more in depth by having a Malcolm-esque character along with a couple of other people to have some dialogue talking about these things. As it is, the intellectual aspect of the film is lacking and it's really rather glaring to me as a missed opportunity.

My other main gripe is the ending. We never find out what happens to InGen or to Isla Nublar. I suppose the insinuation is that the island is now abandoned and will go back to the dinosaurs. But it would have felt like a better ending if someone had said a few words about what the ending means. Again, the whole death of the Indominus at the hands of the Tyrannosaurus and Velociraptor (which, I agree with others, was a totally awesome moment and the best of the movie) was a really big statement about the role of the natural world compared to that of the artificially created dinosaur. This may seem like a minor thing, but the near-total lack of reflection among the characters over the monumental issues posed by things that happened in the film was really a big detraction for me. It's a lot of what separated the first Jurassic Park from any other monster movie. Part of what is so breathtaking about that film is the way that specific events reflect ideas proposed by characters in the movie. I think a lot of moments, like the very last frame, would have had a far bigger impact for me if the characters had grappled with the bigger topics lurking behind the action.

I have a few other complaints, like the fact that the characters really weren't all too compelling for the most part (another sharp contrast to the first movie, where practically every character is really interesting to me). On the whole, though, I liked the movie pretty well for what it was. I'm just disappointed, as a fan of the intellectual elements of Crichton's original works, that this installment missed so many opportunities to be smarter and thereby, in my opinion, more compelling.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: June 28, 2015, 07:25:09 PM »
My other main gripe is the ending. We never find out what happens to InGen or to Isla Nublar.

Well...I'm sure they had the whole 'sequel' (to Jurassic World) already in mind and intentionally left it open ended. Pratt's already signed on for the next film. It'll most undoubtedly be him and his 'group' vs the bad Ingen folk who've now weaponized Dinosaurs.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #233 on: June 28, 2015, 08:57:37 PM »
With all the money this movie is making, I hope they use it to incorporate more animatronics for the sequel. I'd like to see more "real" dinosaurs like the first movie, ala T. Rex break out scene.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #234 on: June 28, 2015, 10:50:15 PM »
With all the money this movie is making, I hope they use it to incorporate more animatronics for the sequel. I'd like to see more "real" dinosaurs like the first movie, ala T. Rex break out scene.

Yeah....that'd be good to see. For as much 'good' as CGI has ushered in to movies it can really be a negative also.

Offline 425

« Reply #235 on: June 29, 2015, 08:38:47 AM »
My other main gripe is the ending. We never find out what happens to InGen or to Isla Nublar.

Well...I'm sure they had the whole 'sequel' (to Jurassic World) already in mind and intentionally left it open ended. Pratt's already signed on for the next film. It'll most undoubtedly be him and his 'group' vs the bad Ingen folk who've now weaponized Dinosaurs.

Yeah, I suppose that's it. I would just rather have gotten something a little more than "the family is reunited and safe, and Chris Pratt is going to date Bryce Dallas Howard now." Even just a montage of news media coverage of the incident would have made the whole thing seem more real and impactful.

The other thing I want, and maybe this could come in the next movie, is some more backstory on how we wound up with an open theme park. All we get is that helicopter flying guy mentioning how he is running the park in accordance with John Hammond's dying wish. I'd like to have known how they wound up deciding to build the park after what happened, and some of the public discussion and debate about safety, given the whole San Diego thing and given that building the park on Isla Nublar probably meant that the incident of the first Jurassic Park was revealed to the public.

I would say that my view of this movie has improved a bit with a little time. There was a lot of good, interesting stuff in there, and I still have some hope for the franchise's future. And it's made me want to watch the first one (which is still miles ahead and an absolutely excellent film in terms of plot, characterization, pacing, suspense, etc.) again and re-read the books, which I haven't read in about five years.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #236 on: June 29, 2015, 08:51:56 AM »
I guess I liked it when I first saw it, but for me after that it's been the opposite from what you said. It hasn't improved at all with time, and I like it less now, a few weeks after.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #237 on: June 29, 2015, 01:30:58 PM »
*Spoilers ahead*

Just saw this movie. As a fan of the first movie and both of Crichton's books, I'm not quite sure what I think yet. It's definitely the second-best of the franchise (I can't like The Lost World: Jurassic Park having read Crichton's book, because as film adaptions go, that one can only properly be described as an atrocity), and overall a pretty good film for what it is. But I feel like there was a lot of wasted potential.

My favorite thing about Crichton's books and the first movie is that they're not just about dinosaurs. There's certainly tons of dinosaur content in them, all of which is excellent, but there's also plenty of discussion around the relationship between man and nature, whether man can control nature or whether life really does always "find a way." A lot of this is, of course, because of Ian Malcolm. Who Jeff Goldblum plays fantastically. But there's also a lot of other intelligent viewpoints on these questions that are integrated seemlessly into the plot, from characters like Hammond (who brings in the total opposite viewpoint to Malcolm), Grant and Stadler.

Jurassic World has tons of opportunity to make these conversations more interesting. The whole velociraptor training aspect brings a new aspect to the conversation about the relationship between man and nature. On top of that, we have a new category to deal with: heavily genetically modified creatures. There's such an opportunity for the film to take a look at how such a creature can possibly fit in with other, natural beings. Not to mention the questions brough up by the implication that the Indominus Rex includes human DNA. And, to its credit, the film touches on these topics. But I think there was a ton of room to go more in depth by having a Malcolm-esque character along with a couple of other people to have some dialogue talking about these things. As it is, the intellectual aspect of the film is lacking and it's really rather glaring to me as a missed opportunity.

My other main gripe is the ending. We never find out what happens to InGen or to Isla Nublar. I suppose the insinuation is that the island is now abandoned and will go back to the dinosaurs. But it would have felt like a better ending if someone had said a few words about what the ending means. Again, the whole death of the Indominus at the hands of the Tyrannosaurus and Velociraptor (which, I agree with others, was a totally awesome moment and the best of the movie) was a really big statement about the role of the natural world compared to that of the artificially created dinosaur. This may seem like a minor thing, but the near-total lack of reflection among the characters over the monumental issues posed by things that happened in the film was really a big detraction for me. It's a lot of what separated the first Jurassic Park from any other monster movie. Part of what is so breathtaking about that film is the way that specific events reflect ideas proposed by characters in the movie. I think a lot of moments, like the very last frame, would have had a far bigger impact for me if the characters had grappled with the bigger topics lurking behind the action.

I have a few other complaints, like the fact that the characters really weren't all too compelling for the most part (another sharp contrast to the first movie, where practically every character is really interesting to me). On the whole, though, I liked the movie pretty well for what it was. I'm just disappointed, as a fan of the intellectual elements of Crichton's original works, that this installment missed so many opportunities to be smarter and thereby, in my opinion, more compelling.

Nicely said. Jurassic Park is one of my favorite novels ever, period, regardless of genre. Nice mixture of action, suspense, science, philosophy, conflict of ideals, etc. Rarely can a movie hope to capture the overall elements of a book due to time constraints, but JP the movie was one of the better attempts (although of course completely re-writing certain characters, like Hammond). I agree The Lost World was an atrocity.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #238 on: June 29, 2015, 02:04:35 PM »
I agree The Lost World was an atrocity.

I will never understand what people's problem with The Lost World is. I think it's an awesome movie.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #239 on: June 29, 2015, 02:46:34 PM »
The Lost World is alright. It has good parts, and I enjoy the first 2/3, but the second act is so out of place and drags down the movie almost completely for me. JW is more solid.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #240 on: June 29, 2015, 04:06:46 PM »

I will never understand what people's problem with The Lost World is. I think it's an awesome movie.
425 probably couldn’t have stated it more plainly. It’s an okay movie. It’s an atrocious adaptation of the book. In fact, it’s barely an adaptation. I don’t remember a ton of the book, but I remember it was spectacular, and that for the movie, they seemed to have taken the book, ripped it to shreds, thrown them in the air, regathered a few pieces, and filled in the gaps with far inferior material.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #241 on: June 29, 2015, 07:34:14 PM »
https://www.agonybooth.com/recaps/The_Lost_World__Jurassic_Park_1997.aspx

A thorough deconstruction of how bad it is, especially Harding's character.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 07:43:32 PM by Dream Team »

Offline 425

« Reply #242 on: June 29, 2015, 08:10:33 PM »

Yeah, basically what Fluffy Lothario said. I believe I read the book before I saw that movie (I think my reading/viewing order was Jurassic Park movie-> both books -> other movies). And having read that book, it's pretty hard to like the movie. It was a really good book, as I recall, completely on par with the original, but the movie bears little resemblance to it. The basic premise is the same, but so many of the plot details are different and usually in a pretty dumb way. I'm not one normally to complain about "Hollywood," but this is a case where the story was changed to shoehorn in some of the most trite "Hollywood" plot elements. The tyrannosaurus being set on the loose in San Diego was unnecessary and not very good. And I practically cringe thinking about the saccharine part where the teenage girl escapes velociraptors through the power of gymnastics.

Maybe it's not a totally terrible movie, but having read the book and having seen what it could have been, I really do regard it as an atrocious butchering of Crichton's work.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #243 on: June 30, 2015, 12:04:06 AM »
I haven't read the books, and I agree the gymnastics bit is really silly. But the T-Rex in San Diego is awesome, always loved those scenes. People always say that it feels out of place, but I've never agreed. It is a faaar better movie than JW.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #244 on: July 04, 2015, 01:05:03 AM »
I thought the deus ex machina featuring the mosasaur was amazing visually and, more importantly, an excellent callback to the plot of the original film, which also ended with a deus ex machina, namely, the T-Rex wandering in at the exact perfect time to eat the raptors who had cornered the protagonists. Also, it was a cool moment bc I got to teach my 6 year old son what deus ex machina means, and he picked it up really quickly (proud moment, as I'm a language arts teacher).

Re: plot continuities between the four movies -- I am pretty sure I read like an interview or something with the director where he stated that JW is a direct sequel to the original, and they're almost pretending movies II and III do not exist.

Fluffy -- really nice point on how the real raptor and T-Rex ended up fighting the genetic hybrid raptor and T-Rex. I had not thought of that.

425 -- very interesting idea that that the I-Rex contains human DNA, but what evidence do you base this on? I had not thought of this as a possibility, and it seemed like the movie itself emphasized the big reveal of the I-Rex's raptor component.

Lastly, my 6 year old, and consequently my 3 year old as well, are REALLY into dinosaurs, so we've spent a lot of time nerding out on this movie specifically and dinosaurs in general. I was really happy to find this thread where people were having actual in-depth discussions, rather than just 'good' or 'bad.'

Thanks!