Poll

Do you like any of these songs? A lot of people don't seem to...

Constant Motion
6 (5%)
The Dark Eternal Night
11 (9.2%)
Forsaken
7 (5.8%)
In the Presence of Enemies-ALL TOGETHER!-or:
40 (33.3%)
"Presence" Part One
24 (20%)
"Presence" Part Two
7 (5.8%)
The Ministry of Lost Souls
17 (14.2%)
Prophets of War
3 (2.5%)
Repentance
5 (4.2%)

Total Members Voted: 115

Author Topic: Which song from "Systematic Chaos" do YOU think sounds best? (Read carefully!)  (Read 5944 times)

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
If Dream Theater's albums were a HORSE-RACE, then this album would be "my dark horse."

I seem to be one of the few who "roots" as storngly for this album as I do.

Sure it's different.

They chose to do some songs in the monster/horror/dark fantasy realm.

To be honest with you, I think that bands like Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Metallica, among others, do that sort of thing better.

But it was a nice try and a noble effort on their part.

I think they were just reflecting THAT part of their influences and inspirations on this album.

And I think it would be fair to say that they didn't totally crap it up.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Since you offered the option, I went with ITPOE Pt 1.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline chaossystem

I won't be surprised if that one wins.

A lot of people seem to like it.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline CharlesPL

"Presence" Part One

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Constant Motion. I don't really like anything on this album very much, but Constant Motion is fun and has a killer guitar solo.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Rodni Demental

Constant Motion for pretty much same reasons as above poster.  :lol

Fun song, killer guitar solo (and keyboard solo for that matter).

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
It's an awesome album. Hard to pick a favorite, but I went with ITPOE all together. Part 1 is better than Part 2, but if the whole thing is offered, might as well.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline The Letter M

It's an awesome album. Hard to pick a favorite, but I went with ITPOE all together. Part 1 is better than Part 2, but if the whole thing is offered, might as well.

This. When this album came out, it was their 2nd new one for me after becoming a fan (before 8VM), so I had high expectations for it given what few albums that preceded it. It has some awesome heavy moments, but the epic as a whole is amazing and I like the whole thing.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

I've never understood the camp that loves Part 1 by itself. Like, it's nine minutes long, and 5 1/2 of that is basically just an overture--plus one of the non-overture sections in Part 1 comes back in Part 2. I can understand why some would say Part 1 > Part 2 (The Reckoning is the worst section of music on the album overall), but Part 1 over the song as a whole, or album as a whole? To me, that's like saying that the overtures on SFAM or SDOIT are the biggest highlights. They're all good pieces of music, but they sound woefully incomplete by themselves, and thus it's hard for me to consider them superior to other quality songs.

ITPOE as a whole for me, just barely edging out TMOLS. ITPOE has 20 killer minutes and 5 bad; TMOLS has 15 killer and 0 bad. Toss-up really, but ITPOE has slightly higher highs, I guess.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline Rodni Demental

I've never understood the camp that loves Part 1 by itself. Like, it's nine minutes long, and 5 1/2 of that is basically just an overture--plus one of the non-overture sections in Part 1 comes back in Part 2. I can understand why some would say Part 1 > Part 2 (The Reckoning is the worst section of music on the album overall), but Part 1 over the song as a whole, or album as a whole? To me, that's like saying that the overtures on SFAM or SDOIT are the biggest highlights.

I see what you're saying, but you see, the reason I like Part 1 over Part 2 is because I prefer the intro (overture if you will) and that one section over the song as a whole. The second Part is where it gets a bit silly and starts dragging in some places. That's my take on why some people might prefer part 1, because they're not as big of a fan of the movements in Part 2.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

ITPOE all together....very underrated!!

Offline chaossystem

I've never understood the camp that loves Part 1 by itself. Like, it's nine minutes long, and 5 1/2 of that is basically just an overture--plus one of the non-overture sections in Part 1 comes back in Part 2. I can understand why some would say Part 1 > Part 2 (The Reckoning is the worst section of music on the album overall), but Part 1 over the song as a whole, or album as a whole? To me, that's like saying that the overtures on SFAM or SDOIT are the biggest highlights. They're all good pieces of music, but they sound woefully incomplete by themselves, and thus it's hard for me to consider them superior to other quality songs.

ITPOE as a whole for me, just barely edging out TMOLS. ITPOE has 20 killer minutes and 5 bad; TMOLS has 15 killer and 0 bad. Toss-up really, but ITPOE has slightly higher highs, I guess.

Maybe it's because they (not me) hate the lyrics but love the instrumental part.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

I seem to be one of the few fans who loves Constant Motion.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline krands85

Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
The Dark Eternal Night. I love this one much more than most. Every moment is great, even the distorted vocals.

I have to disagree with others here. IPTOE has great lyrics; their silly, fantastic nature only adds to their charm. Slaughter of the Damned is one of the most fun sections to sing along to in any DT song.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

It won't surprise me to see ITPOE Pt. 1 having tons of votes. Pt. 2 doesn't get a lot of love around here, but I think it really works well as a whole, so I voted for the whole song.

Offline Rodni Demental

It kinda does surprise me to see ITPOE with tons of votes, cause I figured it was not generally favoured as an epic. I guess it's being compared to the rest of SC here but still. :P

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!

I love that one too, and it's definitely one of my top songs on the album, however I went with TDEN, which I love even more.
Such a brutally heavy and different song for DT, so cleverly constructed, an excellent instrumental section, with a lot of regard for rhythms throughout. Not to mention it has a badass riff, and JM is cranked, and even pulls out a few new tricks of his own.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
I haven't heard that shit in years, wow. I'll give it a spin later and see if I still loathe it  :lol
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
What bit am I supposed to "read carefully"? What makes this poll different from all the other "favourite song" polls you've done in the last few days? I am certain that these polls have been done many many times before.

And again, the thread title bears no relation whatsoever to the poll question.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
My favourite track here is ITPOE 2, but I don't know which "sounds" best.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
In the Presence of Enemies.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
I went with TMoLS, mostly because of the instrumental, JP solo and outro.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline JiM-Xtreme

I'm not going to contribute to this poll, because I'm too afraid I might not have read the question carefully enough.

Offline XB0BX

That's tough, I don't think I can pick just one.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.

Right on. It really doesn't get the praise it deserves. That instrumental section is godly. If it was on its own, it'd be my second favorite of their instrumentals aside from TDOE. But as it stands, it only enhances a good song and makes it that much more interesting to listen to.  :metal
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!

Right on. It really doesn't get the praise it deserves. That instrumental section is godly. If it was on its own, it'd be my second favorite of their instrumentals aside from TDOE. But as it stands, it only enhances a good song and makes it that much more interesting to listen to.  :metal
That instrumental part always makes me  :metal

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power

That instrumental part always makes me  :metal

:tup :2metal:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline adamack

JP outro = Top 5 DT moment ever.

Offline chaossystem

I'm not going to contribute to this poll, because I'm too afraid I might not have read the question carefully enough.

I'm sorry you feel that way.

Offline Outcrier

:rollin
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

Sounds best?  Production-wise?  Voted ITPOE Part 2 - it has some great atmospheric production.  I might be reading this poll too carefully though.

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
Something to do with "roots" and "dark horses" crapping out albums in the monster/metallica/equestrian category.

Did I read carefully enough? Who's to say?
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline chaossystem

I was refering to the poll itself, not the introduction.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 04:44:38 PM by chaossystem »

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
I voted for TMoLS.. The instrumental section it's great, specially the final unison (glorious moment), but I love the whole song, since the very begining.. Aside the intro, starting with the JP's arpeggio at 0:51, and then the verses and choruses... It just transports me to another place, a little dark but full of beauty, a bit strange and hopeless but replete with improvement and resilience sensations..

Seriously.. I couldn't say it any other way than at least a little poetic.. That's what primarily gives me the song: gloomy feelings but peacefulness at the same time.. And that is something that not every song can transmit ..

PS: ItPoE pt 3-6 it's great, and it doesn't have to me even "bad" minutes, I like the whole song, but this one gets my vote..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)