Poll

Was this roulette any controversial at all?

sure it was dude, what the hell were you thinking
I've seen worse
Nop, keep trying
Blabbermouth and MetalSucks should hire you
Kevin Moore

Author Topic: The Controversial Roulette v. And the winner is...  (Read 22194 times)

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Controversial Roulette v. Round Two results! Send for the next one!
« Reply #70 on: November 25, 2014, 03:53:13 PM »
So, let me see if I get this straight.  5 bonus points for a genre and/or band you don't like?  So, the song could've been a "2", and a + 5 bonus means it'll earn 7 points?  Combine the two, and it would score 12?

There's more points to be had in sending crappy tunes from genre's and bands you don't like, than there is in sending good music.

Nah, +5 bonus applies only if he liked the song enough. Tyrias sent Kamelot song and didn't get +5 for power metal, because it wasn't good enough. I guess you have to get 7+ points for the song alone to get the bonus.
Exactly. This is just to avoid getting crappy power metal (but I'm sure you will still send it anyways).

Hey man, that's not fair, I haven't sent any power metal yet.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #71 on: November 25, 2014, 04:08:50 PM »
Sorry, damn the English language, I was just saying "you" to all the participants. In Spanish we have different words for that :coolio .

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #72 on: November 25, 2014, 04:37:55 PM »
I realized I wasn't clear enough so I updated the OP - in the PM I sent you, I recommended you to check the OP as some info was added.

It would help if you highlight (bold, "EDIT:", something...) what the new information is so we don't have to read thru the entire post, and try to disseminate what's new.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: November 25, 2014, 05:01:19 PM »
Done. Sorry for all the misunderstandings, btw. Damn, I thought making a roulette with just a few special things would be easier :lol .

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: November 26, 2014, 08:01:27 PM »
I have received all entries with the exception of mikemangioy, Elite and Lucien. Just letting you know - I have been busy thus still couldn't start listening.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #75 on: November 27, 2014, 02:52:38 PM »
Sehehehnt
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Sent just now!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Controversial Roulette v. Round Two results! Send! Missing: Lucien
« Reply #78 on: November 28, 2014, 10:18:39 AM »
Great, now everbody's in. Expect results on Monday evening.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop

I just figured out your username is 'Lucas' backwards. Do I get bonus points now?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

I just figured out your username is 'Lucas' backwards. Do I get bonus points now?

No.  You lose points for never reading/retaining it in the first place in the 'meaning behind your username' thread(s)
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
I'm expecting results!  ;D
Squ

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Expect results on Monday evening.
Unless you live in Japan or East Asia, it's still 10 AM in the morning here :censored . Just kidding - will post results in a few hours, just have to give everything a last listen, to be sure :biggrin: .

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
All right then :)
Squ

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Deep Purple - When a Blind Man Cries (Evermind)
I recall liking Machine Head by this band, and was surprised to get this tune. Actually, you sent me lots of old songs on this round. Back to the song. It's quite sad, really. I like the solo, it reminds me a bit of David Gilmour. The rest is a bit repetitive, with not so much variation. But I guess it's something normal with old songs. But I liked it. 6/10

Red House Painters - Katy Song  (Shadow Ninja 2.0)
What a great singer - I love that his voice sounds like it was recorded in an abandoned old chamber. The first half of this song has parts that remind me to John Lennon's Imagine, specially the guitars. Hopefully the second half has those gorgeous vocal harmonies and some great guitars or whatever going in crescendo till the end. Although it doesn't vary that much, I really liked it. 7.5/10

Led Zeppelin - That's the Way (Tom Bombadil)
This song is a bit more melancholic than sad, actually. But it still quite nice. The main riff is cool, but those guitars in the background are amazing. I liked this song, despite not having that much variety. And because the band wasn't my cup of tea, you gain the extra points, by a small margin. 7/10

Alter Bridge - Blackbird  (mikemangioy)
Oh yes this is one of my fav songs of the round. Everything here is damn awesome: the epic chorus, the heavy sections, the singer, and dat solo. My only complaint are the quiet parts, which aren't bad, but aren't as memorable as the rest. I think I listened to the band's debut some months ago, and kind of liked it, but never gave it a second listen. This is the less sad song of the round, and you were close to losing points for not sticking to the theme. But this tune has enough feelings and melancholy, so you were saved by a small margin. Beware for the future, guys. 9/10.

Gov't Mule - Forevermore (Elite)
Southern rock? Heard of the genre, but never listened to it. And the atmosphere of this song is awesome. It starts slow, but the middle section is great. I like the singer's voice and the guitar solo. This was really an interesting song. Great choice dude. 7.5/10

Samuel Barber - Adagio for Strings (Lucien)
Classical music is kind of tricky for me. By one side, there are some composer who I absolutely love (Beethoven and Bach), and other that I can't get into (Mozart and Tchaikovsky). But man, I didn't expect this at all. Ok, I was expecting you to send me something in this vein, but forgot that classical music was still done in the past century and even nowadays. And I have to say: I loved this song. It's so emotive, so moving - it makes me wanna cry, without words, just beautiful music. I read this has been used in a lot of films and media, and I might recall listening to it somewhere, but it doesn't matter. I love how the songs goes from being fucking depressed to look for some light, reaching a superb climax. Just to return to the sadness. Amazing. My fav of this round. 9.5/10

Kevin Gilbert - Song for a Dead Friend (jingle.boy and Scorpion)
Not only it was funny when Evermind told me to beware of somebody who might send this song. It was hilarious that two persons send the same tune :lol . But they were fine to make this a tie, and both receive the same mark.
So, this is a damn depressing, hopeless song. I struggled for choosing if this or Lucien's was sadder. Either way, this is great. Good singer, lovely piano, and superb atmosphere. This is really a good song, despite being somewhat repetitive. It makes me think of gray, desolated scenes, and feel miserable. 8/10

dredg - Cartoon Showroom (Nekov)
This was in interesting song, because it has lots of instruments and sounds I'm used to hear in post-rock, but this is alternative rock! Cool choice.  Great singer and atmosphere. More melancholic than sad, but equally good. The last crescendo is lovely.  I saw this album on a top 50 here and added it to the to-listen list just because the guy had a similar taste to me. It seems that it's not even the band's best album. Impressive. 8/10

Brand New - Limousine (Tyrias)
After hearing lots of praise for it, I tried to listen to this album several times. First, it was on YT but this netbook works awful with Flash. Then, it wasn't on Spotify (at least in my country). I even tried downloading it ( :yarr ), but the mp3 files were corrupted or something, but my mp3 player didn't play them. Finally found it on Grooveshark. And boy, what I have been missing. I liked most of this song, and thought is was weird but good. But that crescendo end climax is absolutely epic :hefdaddy . Even if it is a bit repetitive till there, it's fucking awesome. Dat guitar solo :heart . Even the awkward ending was good. This is my send fav song of the round, paired with Lucien's. Amazing. Also, never heard this pot-hardcore/emo thing. I'm not sure if the last one is really a genre or just a style, but the former is definitely a genre. So have some extra points for that. Great job dude. 9.5/10

Saddest song of the round (Theme Winner - 4 points)
Kevin Gilbert - Song for a Dead Friend (jingle.boy and Scorpion)

Special points

Nekov, song from the to-listen list (2
points)
Tyrias,
song from the to-listen list (2 points)
Tyrias, genre I've never listened to (3
points)
mikemangioy,
song from the to-listen list (2 points)
Elite, genre I've never listened to (3 points)
Tom Bombadil, band I don't like but your song was great (5 points)

Positions
mikemangioy - 36
Elite - 35
Tyrias - 32
Shadow Ninja 2.0 - 28
Evermind - 26
Tom Bombadil - 26
Scorpion - 25.5
jingle.boy - 24.5
Nekov - 24
Lucien - 22.5
Round Four
Life is beautiful, isn't it?
Send me the most wonderful, beautiful, gorgeous song you can think of. My fav albums on this vein are Anathema's Weather Systems, Blackfield's Blackfield II, Opeth's Damnation, and even Porcupine Tree's In Absentia. But send me what you think beautiful songs are.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Deep Purple - When a Blind Man Cries (Evermind)
I recall liking Machine Head by this band, and was surprised to get this tune. Actually, you sent me lots of old songs on this round. Back to the song. It's quite sad, really. I like the solo, it reminds me a bit of David Gilmour. The rest is a bit repetitive, with not so much variation. But I guess it's something normal with old songs. But I liked it. 6/10

The song has verse (four lines!) - chorus - solo - verse - chorus structure and the length is only 3:30, so I actually have no idea what you're talking about. Well, whatever, I kind of expected to lose in this round with this pick. Couldn't bring myself to send that Kevin Gilbert song because I somehow don't like it at all, and I don't feel sending you something I don't like at all.

Not only it was funny when Evermind told me to beware of somebody who might send this song [for a dead friend].

I also told you to rank it 1/10, have you missed this part?  :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Controversial Roulette v. Round Three results! Send for the next one!
« Reply #86 on: December 01, 2014, 09:19:18 AM »
That's a pretty common structure. And I didn't mean repetition on that. I was talking more about mood, ideas, atmosphere, instruments, etc. rather than structure. But it was just a bit repetitive for my taste - I still liked it.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: December 01, 2014, 09:28:19 AM »
That's a pretty common structure. And I didn't mean repetition on that. I was talking more about mood, ideas, atmosphere, instruments, etc. rather than structure. But it was just a bit repetitive for my taste - I still liked it.

(yes, that's the thing, it doesn't have shitload of repeated choruses or something) I do kind of understand where you coming from about repetition, but I don't think 3-minutes long song can be called repetitive as long as it's not Sonata Arctica - I Have a Right (which is cut a bit and lasts 3:53 in official video), haha. By the way, I thought about sending Seventh Wonder - Tears for a Father, it's even shorter.  :lol

Don't mind my grumpiness; tastes are different after all.

Sent for round 4, by the way.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: December 01, 2014, 09:41:09 AM »
Cool, I thought you'd like that one and I missed that album in your "To listen" list so I guess I'm lucky  :D

Beautiful music is my thing so I'll have to dive into my library to get something for you
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #89 on: December 01, 2014, 10:30:16 AM »
Yay, glad you liked Blackbird. Truly a masterpiece of modern rock.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #90 on: December 01, 2014, 10:35:27 AM »
sent.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: December 01, 2014, 10:55:36 AM »
Sent
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: December 01, 2014, 11:04:19 AM »

(yes, that's the thing, it doesn't have shitload of repeated choruses or something) I do kind of understand where you coming from about repetition, but I don't think 3-minutes long song can be called repetitive as long as it's not Sonata Arctica - I Have a Right (which is cut a bit and lasts 3:53 in official video), haha.
Thing is, it doesn't matter if it's short or a 40-minute epic. If it is a bit repetitive, I'll notice. But yeah, tastes - I just prefer my music to have lots of variety, and preferably not a predictable structure/outcome.

Cool, I thought you'd like that one and I missed that album in your "To listen" list so I guess I'm lucky  :D

Beautiful music is my thing so I'll have to dive into my library to get something for you
I can post the entire list in text so you can all see it. Will wait for your song with high expectations ;D .

Yay, glad you liked Blackbird. Truly a masterpiece of modern rock.
Will give the album a thorough listen then :tup

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: December 01, 2014, 11:08:16 AM »
Thing is, it doesn't matter if it's short or a 40-minute epic. If it is a bit repetitive, I'll notice.

I guess that really comes down to how you define "repetitive". I don't think this song is repetitive even a bit. I can see why someone can think it is. Well, nevermind.

a predictable structure/outcome

That's exactly what I sent.  :rollin

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #94 on: December 01, 2014, 02:41:39 PM »
Great that you liked it so much! I completely agree with you that the climactic guitar solo is epic as hell. The whole album is in my top ten albums ever ;D.

Anyway, sent you a band I saw with Pain of Salvation about 1.5 years ago that completely blew me away with their dense atmosphere and beautiful songs, but don't expect prog ;).

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #95 on: December 02, 2014, 11:17:55 AM »
Sent :)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #96 on: December 03, 2014, 10:41:32 AM »
So, I have two songs I'm considering to send; one you might find 'repetitive' (even though it's beautiful) and one by a band that's already been sent. Can I send the latter, or should I stick to the first?
Squ

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: December 03, 2014, 04:21:16 PM »
If it is really different from wht I've heard from the band (end preferably from another album), then yeah. But you can send the other track though, because I'd prefer to discover new styles and sounds.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
what the thread title says
« Reply #98 on: December 04, 2014, 06:27:44 AM »
Everbody's in - expect results on Sunday. I'd like to have them earlier, but some relatives will visit me these days, but will manage to listen to your crap stuff ;D .

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Soon? :)
Squ

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Crap, I got busy with some unexpected things. But results will be up tomorrow. Or today, since it's past midnight. Whatever.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Well, it's Monday anyway here, so I'm expecting.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Great round :P
« Reply #103 on: December 08, 2014, 11:57:45 AM »
On a first, superficial listen, I thought this round was terribly cheesy :lol . But it turned out to be awesome. Have your results, and sorry for the delay.

David Gilmour - Where We Start (Evermind)

What a grower. The first time I listened to this album, I almost fell asleep (but left it on the to-listen to give it a second chance). And on a first listen, this song told me nothing. But it has grown a lot on me since, and I realize how awesome it is. Slow, subtle, minimalistic. Wonderful. I love the overall atmosphere and the chorus is wonderful. This song is full of win. 9.5/10

Grayceon - War's End (Scorpion)
This song is... weird. The beginning is quite uncommon. The vocals are strange. It's depressing. And overall, this is not what I expected from a beautiful song. But damn it works. Somehow, this turned out to be wonderful. Dat violin :heart . Also, I disliked the band's previous album bus this is great. Good job Scrop. 8.5/10

IQ - Closer (Nekov)
I must say that sending me an IQ song was quite a risky move. I told you I disliked The Wake, and The Road of Bones was OK, but not my cup of tea. I must say I'm surprised. On a first listen, this was cheesy as hell. But after several spins, it's wonderful. It still has some cheese, but overshadowed by this song's awesomeness. A curious thing is that at times it sounded a bit like post-rock, mostly at the beginning. Not a bad thing though. Great song. 8/10

Frameshift - La Mer (jingle.boy)
I remember that a bit of this song was a supposed leak of the DT12. I liked it though, but eventually forgot about the album. What a surprise that someone sent me this same song. It reminds me a bit of Ana Lee (wonderful song btw) and Queen. I've always love DT's vocal lines, and James doesn't disappoint here at all - he sounds awesome. Around min 4.20 it all gets epic and great. Good song, jingle.dude. 8/10

Demians - Naive (Tom Bombadil)
Oh what a wonderful tune. The guitars of the beginning are sweet, and it gets better from there. I love atmospheric rock, but only knew Anathema from the genre. My only complaint is that the production is a bit muddy on the middle section, but otherwise this song was great. 8.5/10

Arstidir - Heidin (Tyrias)
Short, but great. At first, I thought of Opeth. But this is different. Wonderful piano, strings, and guitar on the background. Don't know what else to say, really - very few thing were bad on this tune. This band/album has lots of potential. Good job dude. 8/10

Destrage - Where the Things Have no Colour (mikemangioy)
Oh dude, I warned you about not respecting the theme. Ok, we may have different opinions on what makes a song beautiful, but hardly anything on this song counts, except some strings that appear randomly for a while and the acoustic guitars at the beginning. Don't get me wrong - I loved this song, and it rocks as hell, would give it an 8.5  if this was an open round. But you've lost a few points (3) for not attaching to the theme completely. Sorry. 5.5/10

Antonin Dvorak - New World Symphony, II. Largo (Lucien)
This song was slow, bus great. It is also damn long, but I really liked almost everything here. Don't have much to complain, just that it's a bit too long and maybe it could be faster at time. But anyways this was a wonderful choice, specially when it gets huge and epic. 8.5/10

Agent Fresco - A long Time Listening (Elite)
This is a different song. It starts and has uncommon elements that surprised me. And I love surprises like this. The choir, the guitars, the chorus, the instrumental section, almost everything is great here - even the singer. I wonder why they aren't more popular. Excellent choice dude. 9/10

Beach House - Myth (Shadow Ninja 2.0)
The nearest thing I've listened of dream pop is Sigur Rós, but they have lots of post-rock elements that I could never tell if it was just their style or another genre. I expected listening to this genre sooner or later, and it delivered. I love the ambient atmosphere, and the male/female duo. Only bad thing is that the end is too abrupt, but great song anyways - will give this album a spin. 8/10

Most beautiful song (Theme Winner - 4 points)
Frameshift - La Mer (jingle.boy)

Special points
mikemangioy, album from the to-listen list (2 points)
Shadow Ninja 2.0, album from the to-listen list (2 points)
Tom Bombadil, album from the to-listen list (2 points)
Evermind, album from the to-listen list (2 points)
Shadow Ninja 2.0, genre I haven't heard before (3 points)
Evermind, album I used to dislike but your tune was awesome (5 points)
Scorpion, band I used to disliked but your song was great (5 points)
Nekov, band I used to disliked but your song was great (5 points)

Positions
Elite - 44
mikemangioy - 43.5
Evermind - 42.5
Shadow Ninja 2.0 - 41
Tyrias - 40
Scorpion - 39
Nekov - 37
Tom Bombadil - 36.5
jingle.boy - 36.5
Lucien - 31
Round Five
Darkness
I'm a sucker for dark music. And I know some of you too. some of my fav albums of this style are Ulver's Shadow of the Sun, Pink Floyd' TDSotM, Obsidian Kingdom's Mantiis, and Dead Can Dance's Anastasis. But I'll leave it to what you consider as "dark". Surprise me.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Controversial Roulette v. Round Four results! Send for the next one!
« Reply #104 on: December 08, 2014, 12:11:52 PM »
What a grower. The first time I listened to this album, I almost fell asleep (but left it on the to-listen to give it a second chance). And on a first listen, this song told me nothing. But it has grown a lot on me since, and I realize how awesome it is. Slow, subtle, minimalistic. Wonderful. I love the overall atmosphere and the chorus is wonderful. This song is full of win. 9.5/10

That's what I was afraid of. I told you in "What album are you listening to" thread that you might not like the album since you expressed a bit of dislike towards The Road of Bones, and while those albums aren't quite alike, there are similarities. But I'm happy it's all turned out great. Gilmour blew me away with this album big time. Glad you've liked the song.

I kind of suck at Dark theme, but I'll see what I can find. I'll send around Wednesday, have quite a lot of work now.