Author Topic: Angra - The Secret Garden [New Album]  (Read 31727 times)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline gzarruk

It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Dittomist

Re: Angra - The Secret Garden [New Album]
« Reply #317 on: November 02, 2023, 11:12:08 PM »
Just listened to Cycles of Pain for the first time and I can confidently say that this is their best album since Temple of Shadows (and I've liked them all quite a bit). This is a glorious night to be an Angra fan!

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #318 on: November 03, 2023, 10:30:54 AM »
Yes, this album is amazing!! I'm not totally sure about Tears of Blood, just because its very operatic style, that I'm not a fan of. But, otherwise, killer song after another. I love OMNI very much, really, but this one has a very inspired more melodic and prog edge, just beautifully done.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #319 on: November 06, 2023, 08:28:47 PM »
I seriously can't get over how great this album is!
Vida Seca at the moment is my favorite song and it's the one I hope will be the next single. Ride Into the Storm, Tide of Changes, Cycles of Pain, Dead Man on Display, and Tears of Blood are also among their best songs ever. 
Angra and Fabio were truly a match made in heaven!

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #320 on: November 07, 2023, 12:47:37 AM »
I'm slowly catching up on the last 23 years of the band that for whatever reason, I ignored.
I now have all the Edu era albums, trying to find the 2022 remix of Aqua, which is proving quite impossible.
Looking forward to hearing the new one and OMNI, both in the mail.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #321 on: November 07, 2023, 06:36:09 AM »
I'm slowly catching up on the last 23 years of the band that for whatever reason, I ignored.
I now have all the Edu era albums, trying to find the 2022 remix of Aqua, which is proving quite impossible.

For legal reasons/problems with Edu, they only released it on digital plataforms. But it really brings new life to that album, since the original mix/master has a bit of tiny sound. Well, almost no one thinks so, but Acqua is one of my 5 favorite albums by them (along with Holy Land, Temple of Shadows, OMNI - also a controversial opinion - and Cycles of Pain)
BTW, for my taste, Fabio is my favorite Angra's singer from all eras.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #322 on: November 07, 2023, 06:38:09 AM »

Yeah! And they really let him shine on the new album, what a beast! :metal :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline devieira73

« Reply #323 on: November 07, 2023, 06:55:55 AM »
I think everyone is really shining in the new album. I must mention I think Bruno/Felipe are really one of the very best rhythm sections on metal today. Incredible how they manage being super present, with a lot of groove and never overplaying the songs IMO.
But... agreed, Fabio is really destroying here!! :o :metal
Bruno recording Vida Seca: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=607DSOj_8rI

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #324 on: November 07, 2023, 10:29:12 AM »

For legal reasons/problems with Edu, they only released it on digital plataforms. But it really brings new life to that album, since the original mix/master has a bit of tiny sound. Well, almost no one thinks so, but Acqua is one of my 5 favorite albums by them (along with Holy Land, Temple of Shadows, OMNI - also a controversial opinion - and Cycles of Pain)

I am aware that it was only released in digital format, but I can't find it anywhere to download, I know it's on YT, but I am looking for FLAC files to buy.
Yes it's a good album, but the mix sounds terrible on the CD.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #325 on: November 07, 2023, 12:58:08 PM »
Is liking Omni really controversial?  That album is phenomenal.

As for Cycles of Pain, only a couple listens in but so far so good.

Bruno and Felipe are indeed awesome.  I think Felipe is pretty much the bass player in metal.  More people need to hear him

Offline devieira73

« Reply #326 on: November 07, 2023, 01:55:25 PM »
Unbelievable, huh? But it's what I gather from a lot of magazines or youtube reviewers opinions, also commenting about the Angra's fan base opinions. The overall feel that I have it's like Angra didn't release anything worth since Temple of Shadows. Maybe they don't accept that the band had distanced from power metal since then. I saw myself a lot of comments on Youtube where many fans don't like the more prominent prog metal influences in their sound nowadays. Go figure!

Offline Lethean

« Reply #327 on: November 07, 2023, 03:19:53 PM »
Hahaha.  I remember reading complaints about prog when pretty much all of their albums came out, except the Matos since I wasn't a fan at the time.  Even Angels Cry is pretty proggy.

Omni rules.

I'm onto my 4th listen of Cycles of Pain and keep liking it more.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #328 on: November 07, 2023, 07:30:56 PM »
IMO, Omni was a massive letdown after Secret Garden which might be my fav Angra record.  I think it's amazing.  I'll check the new one soon, good to hear the positive comments on it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #329 on: November 08, 2023, 07:15:21 AM »
For no deep reason at all (it is certainly not a lack of appreciation for Fabio Lione or for the band Angra) I never really cared for this third era of the band. I  guess there was always some other more interesting or inviting thing to explore music wise. I like the song Magic Mirror, maybe one day I'll finally see what I have missed. I didn't even finish to listen to the albums with Edu, I checked out after Aurora Consurgens and even that album is something I just don't remember.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline devieira73

« Reply #330 on: November 08, 2023, 08:02:27 AM »
IMO, Omni was a massive letdown after Secret Garden which might be my fav Angra record.  I think it's amazing.  I'll check the new one soon, good to hear the positive comments on it.

I like a lot Secret Garden, but I think the band was a bit undecided about the singer or the musical path they would follow and you can feel listening to it. Although it has quality and great songs, it sounds a little lacking in cohesion. Are you sure about OMNI? I think it's a clearly progression from Secret Garden with more focus and a band identity.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #331 on: November 08, 2023, 08:34:45 AM »
I love both albums but I do prefer Omni.  The title track of Secret Garden lowers it in my personal rankings; definitely not my thing.  But it's a great album otherwise.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #332 on: November 08, 2023, 09:16:50 PM »

I like a lot Secret Garden, but I think the band was a bit undecided about the singer or the musical path they would follow and you can feel listening to it. Although it has quality and great songs, it sounds a little lacking in cohesion. Are you sure about OMNI? I think it's a clearly progression from Secret Garden with more focus and a band identity.

Yeah, I can fully agree with that, but for me, it doesn't affect it for me. 

Am I sure about Omni? .............I guess I'll rephrase the question and ask did I give Omni a fair go?  Probably not.

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #333 on: November 09, 2023, 12:01:54 AM »
I liked Secret Garden quite a bit when it came out but it didn't have a lot of staying power. It's been years since I listened to it in its entirety, and the only songs I get the urge to revisit are Storm of Emotions, Violet Sky, and Silent Call. Omni was a significant improvement in my opinion--it sounds more inspired, diverse, and epic.
Cycles of Pain is on a whole other level though--top tier Angra for sure. I still haven't warmed up to Faithless Sanctuary or Generation Warriors, but the rest of the album absolutely rules.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #334 on: November 09, 2023, 12:53:49 AM »
You should definitely revisit Newborn Me (one of their best opening tracks imo) and Upper Levels, which is just an incredible song.

Also Final Light is pretty cool too.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #335 on: November 09, 2023, 03:09:23 AM »
I'll also add Black Hearted Soul and Upper Levels.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #336 on: November 09, 2023, 12:09:21 PM »
Yes, this album is amazing!! I'm not totally sure about Tears of Blood, just because its very operatic style, that I'm not a fan of. But, otherwise, killer song after another. I love OMNI very much, really, but this one has a very inspired more melodic and prog edge, just beautifully done.

There is a speed version of this song (Japanese bonus) with Fernanda Lira in a duet with Lione. Have you heard it yet?

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #337 on: November 09, 2023, 01:01:16 PM »
Just put on Cycles of Pain for the first time...

Been a minute since I listened to any Angra.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline devieira73

« Reply #338 on: November 09, 2023, 02:57:05 PM »

There is a speed version of this song (Japanese bonus) with Fernanda Lira in a duet with Lione. Have you heard it yet?
Yes, it's already on YouTube. It's very cool, but strangely I'm liking more the original version which it didn't grab me that much at first, like I said.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #339 on: November 09, 2023, 06:19:20 PM »

Yes, it's already on YouTube. It's very cool, but strangely I'm liking more the original version which it didn't grab me that much at first, like I said.

I just listened to it, but I think I prefer the original version. I really like the operatic/theatrical vibe they chose and Amanda's vocals are incredible. Just wish Kiko recorded the original solo as well.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #340 on: November 10, 2023, 12:16:14 PM »
I liked both. Loved both duets.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #341 on: November 10, 2023, 08:58:32 PM »
I just tend to go back to Angels Cry and Holy Land.  I do enjoy the other records, but the don't always have the staying power that those two albums do. 

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #342 on: November 11, 2023, 01:06:09 AM »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #343 on: December 04, 2023, 01:59:40 PM »
Picked up Cycles of Pain on CD over the weekend (to get signed at ProgPower) and a few listens in and I'm LOVING it.  I think I may like it more than Omni, but it may just be the freshness of it giving it priority, but even with only 3 full listens, I'm really liking this. 

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #344 on: December 04, 2023, 02:30:07 PM »
Picked up Cycles of Pain on CD over the weekend (to get signed at ProgPower) and a few listens in and I'm LOVING it.  I think I may like it more than Omni, but it may just be the freshness of it giving it priority, but even with only 3 full listens, I'm really liking this.

Yeah! And Fabio is a BEAST here :metal :hefdaddy

Offline Lethean

« Reply #345 on: December 04, 2023, 06:11:05 PM »

Yeah! And Fabio is a BEAST here :metal :hefdaddy
:metal

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #346 on: December 05, 2023, 11:51:57 AM »
Best album of the 3rd era (Andre - Edu - Fabio), and best album since Temple of Shadows. Probably in my top 3 after Holy Land and ToS.

Can't find any filler in the album, and I thoroughly enjoy Tears of Blood, both versions. Would love to listen to a version of it with Amanda Somerville instead of Vanessa Moreno. But both girls ROCK

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #347 on: December 13, 2023, 07:17:28 AM »
Didn't really know where to post this, but here's Fabio singing Pull Me Under https://youtu.be/A8MmgEP6AVo?si=e2KqbOMWQsweYVFg

Spoiler alert: he didn't really learn the lyrics at all :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #348 on: December 13, 2023, 08:57:04 AM »
That could have been really awesome if he'd learned the lyrics.  He sounded good.  He's a fan of Dream Theater so maybe he thought he knew it but when it came time to sing he didn't or he forgot... I dunno. 

Offline devieira73

« Reply #349 on: February 04, 2024, 10:52:30 AM »
Angra did record a DVD on 70.000 Tons of Metal:
https://whiplash.net/materias/news_698/358459-angra.html

Unfortunately, the setlist was shorter than the ones from the regular shows of this tour:
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/angra/2023/clube-cabo-branco-joao-pessoa-brazil-63aec29f.html

Anyway, better than nothing and the setlist is kind of supplementary to the OMNI Tour DVD.