Author Topic: Angra - The Secret Garden [New Album]  (Read 31496 times)

Offline TimelessSymphony

• just a random guy
Angra - The Secret Garden [New Album]
« on: November 15, 2014, 06:53:08 PM »
Hey guy's so Angra has been working on the new album this year and it's one of my anticipated album of the year for me.

So here what they have to say:

"The brazilian metal band "Angra" are in the studio in Stockholm (Sweden) with Jens Bogren who previously worked (Soilwork, Kreator, Devin Townsend, Ihsahn, Dark Tranquility, Paradise Lost, Amon Amarth, Dragonforce, The Ocean, Haken, Rotting Christ)

They are preparing to record their 8th album, which will follow Aqua, released in 2010. It was the last album with Edu Falaschi (vocals) and Ricardo Confessori (drums)

Now the group has recruited Fabio Lione (Rhapsody of Fire/Vision Divine) (why I'm I not surprised lol) and Bruno Valverde for the new drummer. "

The album will be out on December 17th in Japan and January 16th in Europe/Brazil.

You can hear a taste of the upcoming album "Black Hearted Soul" not the best quality but from the sound of it, it's sounding like "Spread Your Fire" a little bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDyymW8n8Do

What do you guy's think? :)

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Re: Angra - The Secret Garden [New Album]
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 07:05:52 PM »
I'll listen to the album when it's available for streaming somewhere, but that snippet doesn't really do anything for me.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 10:27:04 AM »
Intrigued. Jens is pretty much the King Midas of production in my eyes.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 12:45:12 PM »
I can't imagine Fabio with Angra, but since I love both individually, I will definitely give this a few spins when it comes out. Unlike most others, I actually think that Aqua was incredibly strong, so I would love for them to release something else on that level.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 02:07:46 AM »
The song didn't really do much for me. I really liked Rebirth and loved Temple of Shadows since the day it came out, but I've lost quite a lot of interest in them since then. And I don't know if it's Fabio Lione's voice or what, but this sounded much more "generic power metal" than I've come to expect from them.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 03:31:33 AM »
The song didn't really do much for me. I really liked Rebirth and loved Temple of Shadows since the day it came out, but I've lost quite a lot of interest in them since then. And I don't know if it's Fabio Lione's voice or what, but this sounded much more "generic power metal" than I've come to expect from them.

Exactly this. Happened to check out 'Rebirth' back in the day, really enjoyed it. Cared for 'Temple of Shadows' a bit after that, but that was basically it. This song, I couldn't stand listening to more than five seconds. That's how close minded I've become for power metal I guess.

That said, I really like that 'Unholy Wars' song from Rebirth. I actually remember that song.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 04:37:46 AM »
I can't imagine Fabio with Angra, but since I love both individually, I will definitely give this a few spins when it comes out. Unlike most others, I actually think that Aqua was incredibly strong, so I would love for them to release something else on that level.

I think Aqua was really quite strong too.

That song sample sounded okay, but yeah, wouldn't mind if they continued on the Aqua path.  I hope this isn't a return to just a more straight forward power metal sort of thing.  Something like AC would be amazing too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 08:13:47 AM »
New song (official):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxY5pHps5xU&feature=youtu.be&a
Only one listen and I though very interesting and a bit different for Angra ... maybe the heaviness of rhythm guitars.
And yes, I like Aqua very much too!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 10:43:45 AM »
That sounds fresh. It's a bit proggier than their latest releases but still keeping that "brazilian" sound that makes them unique.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 01:18:15 PM »
Eh, the song isn't bad. I think I just don't like Lione's voice very much.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 01:38:54 PM »
I really liked that song. It takes a bit to get used to Lione singing over Angra, but he does a good job and the instrumental section is gorgeous.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2014, 03:15:39 PM »
I really liked that song. It takes a bit to get used to Lione singing over Angra, but he does a good job and the instrumental section is gorgeous.

I didn't realise it was FB until I read this thread. He's toned down the Italianisms here - now had he sang "sword" at any point I would have realised it was him  :biggrin:

Newborn Me is pretty good song. Will pick this up.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2014, 04:16:07 PM »
Nice from about 3 mins in , but prior to that just sounded like generic power/prog metal.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2014, 09:39:03 PM »
Newborn Me sounded a little better than the previous snippet, but the vocals sound off, like they start and accent before/after the beat sometimes and are out of sync with the music. It was especially noticeable during the verses, and it makes the song feel rather uncomfortable.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2014, 04:32:13 AM »

Pretty much this for me.  It is a bit of a weird mix, but I'm sure we'll get use to it.  This does actually remind me of AC a little, which is a very good thing.

It's also funny as I don't think there was ever an official statement saying that Fabio was the permanent singer.  I could be wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2014, 05:49:55 AM »

Pretty much this.  Will try the official link later today.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2014, 07:54:02 PM »
I have listened to the new song about five times now, and I think it's really solid. Fabio fits in beautifully and to my surprise, sounds quite a lot like Edu at times! Can't wait to hear the rest of the album!  So happy that Angra are back!!!  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2014, 04:41:58 AM »
New video;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s99o09I7jNs

Something a bit different and unique.  I don't mind this.  Love's Rafael's lead vox too.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2014, 04:58:24 AM »
I'm gonna go with meh. I agree that Rafael's lead vox is quite good but the rest is pretty standard and not very interesting. And the video doesn't help at all  :lol
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2014, 05:06:06 AM »
I guess I'm pretty open to whatever they do.  I think the album is heading in a good direction.  Saying that, I'm one of the ones that thought Aqua was quite good.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2014, 05:49:30 AM »
So, is Fabio Leone NOT in Vision Divine anymore? Their last album might make my Top 10 of this decade!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2014, 01:40:26 PM »
So, is Fabio Leone NOT in Vision Divine anymore? Their last album might make my Top 10 of this decade!

I haven't heard his status on VD.  I don't think it was ever officially announced that he was the full time vocalist for Angra.

Agree about VD's last album, it was really good.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2014, 01:41:45 PM »
I've never really gotten into Angra, but I'll probably get this due to him singing on it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2014, 04:09:51 PM »
Fabio is such an underrated metal vocalist.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2014, 05:27:59 PM »
I guess I'm pretty open to whatever they do.  I think the album is heading in a good direction.  Saying that, I'm one of the ones that thought Aqua was quite good.

my toss up for 2010 album of the year was between Angra's Aqua and Orbs' debut.
i retroactively trumped em both when i discovered Shaolin Death Squad's 5 Deadly Venoms, but still, it remains a top 3 2010 album for me  :metal

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2014, 03:59:19 PM »
Aqua was fantastic. Arising Thunder, The Rage of the Waters, Spirit of the Air and Ashes are all some of my very favourite Angra songs. I really liked the more experimental direction they took on the album. And, while that doesn't necessarily mean a lot for the music, the album cover is absolutely stunning, one of my all-time favourites.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2014, 03:32:18 PM »
Yeah Aqua did have a great cover.

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2014, 12:35:57 AM »
30-second samples of the new album available here: https://www.amazon.com/Secret-Garden-Angra/dp/B00QTCKM9M

Judging from these samples and the two killer tracks that we've already heard, I couldn't possibly be more excited or optimistic about Secret Garden and the future of Angra!   :tup
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 01:26:32 AM by Dittomist »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2014, 05:30:48 AM »
These samples sound really damn good.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2014, 07:54:36 AM »
I wasn't impressed tbh - I've listened to the full album a couple of times (Jap release) and aside from some instrumental sections it's pretty generic prog power metal IMHO.  Not even in the same ballpark as stuff like Angels Cry or Holy Land.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2014, 02:16:23 PM »
Damn.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2015, 01:30:21 PM »
heh, gonna hafta get this one, I think  :corn

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2015, 01:21:33 AM »
I downloaded the new album from Amazon a few days ago and after five listens, I am very impressed and I think most Angra fans will be as well. The reviews have been extremely complimentary, with most saying this is their best since Temple of Shadows.
My favorite tracks at the moment are:
Silent Call: Seriously, this closing track could be the most beautiful song Angra have ever written! It was my favorite upon my first listen and it still is.
Violet Sky: A very punishing and bleak track that would have fit quite well on Aurora Consurgens. As far as I know, Rafael has never sang lead vocals on any other Angra album, but he's all over Secret Garden and I must say he does a very good job. The choirs at the end is a really nice touch!
Secret Garden: I can't believe how much this sounds like Nightwish. One of my favorite things about the new album is how diverse it is--considering how long this band has been around for, it's really refreshing to see them display so many new tricks.
Storm of Emotions: The perfect choice for a single but I wish they hadn't cut that instrumental part; it annoys me so much when edited singles always seem to omit the solos instead of one of the choruses.  A really catchy song that I hope will become a live favorite.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2015, 04:52:21 AM »
Finally got this album and spun it I think, three times.  I gotta say at first I wasn't too sure, but I'm starting to think it's quite spectacular.  The melodies, performances and complexities within the songs are fantastic, and some really amazing long solos too from the boys which all fit well in the songs.

I am a little confused at the vocals.  I think Fabio is underutilised.  Saying that though, I think Rafael's vocals are amazing and a welcome addition to the band.  I just don't get a full song by Simone and another with a duet between Rafael and Doro, yet there's no real interplay between Rafael and Fabio.  The Police cover might have both of their voices, but I'm not really sure yet.  Also, this song while being a stellar cover, seems weird being there.  I don't know who this other songwriter is on a couple of tracks either.

Saying that, there's nothing really weak here and all in all it's an amazing dark, heavy and strong consistent yet varied album.  Really good stuff.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 04:58:25 AM by wolfking »

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2015, 08:54:12 AM »
Repeated listening pays dividends with this album.  Like most of the comments I've seen on it, first couple of spins I thought it sounded OK, nothing special, but not bad either.  Around the 4th or 5th time through I started really digging it, now it's been pretty steady in the current rotation for the last couple of weeks.

Right now I'd give it 3/5 stars, but that might inch upward a bit over time.