Author Topic: Metallica Thread  (Read 179690 times)

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
Re: Metallica Thread
« Reply #3010 on: September 05, 2023, 07:47:30 AM »
Just got around to reading that article.  Dee IS right, though; the problem is, it's just not a one-sized-fits-all comment.   Twisted is not doing two nights in a row at stadia; they're probably not even headlining over a medium sized theater.  They HAVE to play the hits. They also don't have a very deep catalogue.  "Come Back" blows; it's not that it's a "deep cut", it's that it sucks.   Maiden did AMOLAD, but they have always - at least since the reunion and before COVID - alternated album tours with legacy tours, so all the fans have got their sort of moment in the sun.  You want hits? You're the 95%?  Go to the "Legacy Of The Beast" show.  You want deep cuts?  Go to the "Somewhere in Senjustsu" or whatever the hell it's called tour.

Also, in today's day in age, there is no 'bait and switch' here.

If you bought a ticket and went to Maiden and didn't know what to expect, that's on you. The band is VERY vocal and upfront about what they are doing with each tour.

Metallica has been equally transparent, and judging from the set-lists, their sets are still 70-80% 'fan favorites,' and the 'deep cuts' are a handful, if that.

I like Dee, mostly because he speaks his mind and doesn't try to sugarcoat his thoughts. He's entitled to his opinion, but I couldn't disagree more.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3011 on: September 05, 2023, 09:11:09 AM »
Yeah, Dee's comments work for him, not Metallica.  So I don't agree with him in this case, but for other bands, it makes sense.

Metallica has been equally transparent, and judging from the set-lists, their sets are still 70-80% 'fan favorites,' and the 'deep cuts' are a handful, if that.

Also this.  Their tour was well advertised for what's happening.  For my 3rd ticket, we split it between my friend for night 1 and my gf's father for night 2 so both knew going in that they weren't going to see all the hits.  My friend didn't mind he got Master of Puppets and not Enter Sandman and my gf's father was happy he got Enter Sandman and not MoP.  It all mostly worked out here.  Honestly, I thought it was incredible to get to see 32 different songs.  I wish they did some more deep cuts as I feel the only thing really deep was digging into the new album.  And how can you not expect them too?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3012 on: September 05, 2023, 09:36:36 AM »
Dee's mistaken simply because he doesn't realize how many Metallica songs people regard as hits. Looking at the two night setlists, 9 songs from each night are the staples that people can always expect to hear any given concert. He's right that people who go to see Maiden want to hear Number, Fear, Hallowed, etc. If they don't get them they'll be disappointed. People at Metallica are expecting to hear Sandman, NEM, Master, One, SBT, etc, and they got all of them plus some other pretty cool songs.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3013 on: September 05, 2023, 09:57:57 AM »
Red Hot Chili Peppers have that same problem.  Too many hit songs to play them all in one night plus try to cover the new songs. I respect that both bands play different stuff each night to handle this the best they can.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #3014 on: September 05, 2023, 10:14:01 AM »
I'm looking at the songs they played in Inglewood (which sadly I wasn't there for as I was in Grand Rapids and Chicago for other stuff).  I see 11 songs that would be staples on any given night, three new songs, and two songs that aren't regulars, but I'm sure people would like to hear (Leper Messiah and Orion) on night 1.  Night 2 has 9 songs that would be staples on any given night, 3 new songs, and three songs from Ride the Lightning that aren't staples, but I'm sure people would like to hear (Whiplash, Ride the Lightning, and The Call of Ktulu) and one St. Anger song.

I'm not sure what the reactions are when it comes to the instrumentals.  I know I was really pumped for Orion once I heard the intro at the 40th anniversary show (I was a bit bummed they didn't play Call of Ktulu on night 2), but I'm not sure how it fares in stadiums.  Orion and Call of Ktulu aren't hits, but these songs are still very important to Metallica and ones that people would love to hear live, no?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3015 on: September 05, 2023, 10:16:22 AM »
I think people generally enjoyed the instrumentals.  I actually went to the bathroom, grabbed a drink and hot dog, during both instrumentals.  It just made sense since I could easily hear it while doing that.  But the songs are good and people liked them, the facilities were empty so it seemed I was the only one leaving the stands during those songs in my section and I'd only miss half the song maybe.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3016 on: September 05, 2023, 10:32:46 AM »
In Dallas Orion was gangbusters. Crowd loved it. Ktulu didn't go over quite as well the next night, but it led into No Leaf Clover which went over great. Crowd was really into that. I honestly thought Clover was the highlight of night 2.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #3017 on: October 14, 2023, 03:18:06 PM »
So I was listening to some of the bonus tracks off the super deluxe, all singing, all dancing version of Justice, and came across the track below...

https://spotify.link/fPLA21gQTDb

It's titled 'Blackened - 1987 / From James' Riff Tapes 2'. I never knew this, but it was actually Jason who came up with the main Blackened riff, and you can hear him playing it right here. I'm not sure if this is common knowledge or not. As a pretty huge fan myself, this was news to me! Justice for Jason!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3018 on: October 14, 2023, 03:20:32 PM »
Doesn't Jason have a writing credit in it? I thought he did.
I'll definitely check out that link.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #3019 on: October 14, 2023, 03:26:35 PM »
Doesn't Jason have a writing credit in it? I thought he did.
I'll definitely check out that link.

I've never checked the writing credits to be honest. I know he famously only had one writing credit on The Black Album.

I've just checked, and he is credited for Blackened, I can't believe I've never heard anyone talk about that before. That Blackened riff is iconic and arguably their greatest riff! Good on Jason.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3020 on: October 14, 2023, 03:29:37 PM »
Blackened is awesome.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3021 on: October 14, 2023, 03:39:44 PM »
Luke, I assume you've heard the first Flotsam album? Jason wrote most of it.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3022 on: October 14, 2023, 03:42:23 PM »
Blackened is awesome.

Nope, Blackened is the end.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #3023 on: October 14, 2023, 03:43:46 PM »

I've probably only heard it once or twice. I've got a playlist loaded up with a shit ton of classic thrash/death metal albums, which has all the Flotsam and Jetsam albums on it. I've yet to hear one that's really blown me away yet though.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3024 on: October 14, 2023, 03:44:49 PM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3025 on: October 14, 2023, 03:57:57 PM »

I've probably only heard it once or twice. I've got a playlist loaded up with a shit ton of classic thrash/death metal albums, which has all the Flotsam and Jetsam albums on it. I've yet to hear one that's really blown me away yet though.

Is this a spotify playlist? F&J is a Top 10 band for me.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #3026 on: October 14, 2023, 05:20:59 PM »

Is this a spotify playlist? F&J is a Top 10 band for me.

Yea, a Spotify playlist. It's here if you're interested...

https://spotify.link/i0trkVkZTDb

If you sort the playlist by album, the first album is by Maggot Twat :lol  you can blame Glasser for that.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3027 on: October 14, 2023, 05:28:17 PM »
Oh good. I was hoping Maggot Twat would be in there! :neverusethis:

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #3028 on: October 14, 2023, 05:30:17 PM »
Oh good. I was hoping Maggot Twat would be in there! :neverusethis:

Told you it was the classics :rollin

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #3029 on: October 17, 2023, 06:41:21 AM »
72 Seasons is still getting better with each listen.  :hefdaddy

Offline Pappy

« Reply #3030 on: October 17, 2023, 08:30:19 AM »

To add to that. I've gone from Inamorata being my favorite to Shadows back to Inamorata and now the title track is my favorite.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3031 on: October 18, 2023, 11:27:23 AM »

Meanwhile I still can't sit through a full listen.

I don't think it's bad by any means.  The songs are just too similar in style and they ALL drag on. It's a hard listen for me and sadly seeing some of these songs live didn't elevate them for me. Just listening to a song or two by themselves benefits the listening experience a lot for me. 

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3032 on: November 14, 2023, 07:55:04 AM »
bump.

for those who like behind the scenes stuff, this fan shot VIP behind the scenes video from St.Louis is pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8HbVOFRiqQ

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #3033 on: November 14, 2023, 08:37:06 AM »

Meanwhile I still can't sit through a full listen.

I don't think it's bad by any means.  The songs are just too similar in style and they ALL drag on. It's a hard listen for me and sadly seeing some of these songs live didn't elevate them for me. Just listening to a song or two by themselves benefits the listening experience a lot for me.

Yea I totally agree. They could've cut 3 or 4 songs and I probably would've enjoyed it more. Just leave Lux Ęterna, Room of Mirrors and Inamorata in, any of the rest could go for me.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3034 on: November 14, 2023, 08:42:04 AM »
Same opinion of mine.

No song is downright bad. All the songs lumped together make it hard to sit through the entire album. Cut two songs, shorten a couple, and replace a mid-tempo with a ballad and you have already a way more enjoyable album.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3035 on: November 15, 2023, 12:25:14 PM »
Also, it seems I'll get a chance to see Metallica, late may 2024 in Milan  :metal

Looks like the European 2024 dates are not the double nights format, so one shot and that's it.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3036 on: November 15, 2023, 09:01:45 PM »
I mean, I know it's the 'in' thing to do....but I watched a handful of vids that were from the two shows they recently performed in St. Louis.....and....there's just no freaking way I'd pay that money to go listen to a band who's drummer is that bad. Their songs are unlistenable Lars is so bad. It's cringy and brutal and the fact they're charging premium $$$ for these shows is silly. He can't play.....hasn't been able to for quite some time and it's just getting worse and worse.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline coz

« Reply #3037 on: November 15, 2023, 10:34:09 PM »
Same here man. I cannot believe how many people have forked over massive amounts of money to subject themselves to modern day Metallica.  I don't get it.
~Carlos
We made a land where crap is king and the good don't last too long.
https://www.last.fm/user/coz2112

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3038 on: November 16, 2023, 04:16:20 AM »
I mean, I know it's the 'in' thing to do....but I watched a handful of vids that were from the two shows they recently performed in St. Louis.....and....there's just no freaking way I'd pay that money to go listen to a band who's drummer is that bad. Their songs are unlistenable Lars is so bad. It's cringy and brutal and the fact they're charging premium $$$ for these shows is silly. He can't play.....hasn't been able to for quite some time and it's just getting worse and worse.

I haven't watched any recent Metallica vids but I've never had an issue with Lars' loose style.  Or is there something else going on with him now?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline emtee

« Reply #3039 on: November 16, 2023, 05:14:49 AM »
It never ceases to amaze and confound me how differently we all connect with music. 72 Seasons is an album I am still spinning weekly. Love it beginning to end.  Probably will be my AotY.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3040 on: November 16, 2023, 05:55:26 AM »

I haven't watched any recent Metallica vids but I've never had an issue with Lars' loose style.  Or is there something else going on with him now?
I've watched a few things and wasn't bothered by him any more than ever. He's never been the cleanest drummer.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3041 on: November 16, 2023, 08:19:26 AM »

I've watched a few things and wasn't bothered by him any more than ever. He's never been the cleanest drummer.

he's not a great live drummer.  I don't recall the Metlife shows standing out in being particularly bad.  If anything, Kirk actually seems to be the one messing up more lately wtih his bad starts to some songs that seems to be getting more and more consistent.

As for the shows themselves, I wouldn't call them premium $$$.  I think you can look up what I paid here, I kind of forget the exact number, but it was VERY fair value for two concerts plus the 4 different openers.  I thought the value was great. I can't recall a single person leaving those two concerts unhappy including my gf's father who was amazed by the show even though he only knew like one song.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3042 on: November 16, 2023, 08:31:24 AM »

he's not a great live drummer.  I don't recall the Metlife shows standing out in being particularly bad.  If anything, Kirk actually seems to be the one messing up more lately wtih his bad starts to some songs that seems to be getting more and more consistent.

As for the shows themselves, I wouldn't call them premium $$$.  I think you can look up what I paid here, I kind of forget the exact number, but it was VERY fair value for two concerts plus the 4 different openers.  I thought the value was great. I can't recall a single person leaving those two concerts unhappy including my gf's father who was amazed by the show even though he only knew like one song.

The bolded is what's important and I can see that folks are enjoying themselves immensely at the shows. So, more power to them. I just personally wouldn't spend any money to watch them....as I said...it's cringeworthy listening to him play.

Loose style is a very kind assessment of the way he plays. He struggles to stay in or find any kind of 'time'. It has to drive those guys nuts....or I bet they just have his mix cut completely out of their ears in order to just stay on their own time.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3043 on: November 16, 2023, 08:38:33 AM »

I agree with this. I am probably going to get tickets to next year's Minneapolis shows for like $140 for both nights. Upper deck of course, but that's not bad at all. There are some premium packages that are very pricey, but they're not charging a ton for every ticket.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3044 on: November 16, 2023, 09:49:21 AM »
Loose style is a very kind assessment of the way he plays. He struggles to stay in or find any kind of 'time'. It has to drive those guys nuts....or I bet they just have his mix cut completely out of their ears in order to just stay on their own time.

There is a quote out there from a fellow musician that was invited to watch a Metallica show from the soundboard.  The sound guy offered him a listen to James' in-ear monitors.  The only thing in James' own monitors was....himself.  The musician wrote that James is literally the Metallica engine, keeping the songs on time and on track, which is amazing because it's usually the drummer doing that.  But James is so precise and maybe hearing the other guys can throw him off.

So I have to believe that Lars just does his thing while James does the actual driving during the show.  It works for them - Lars doesn't have to compete with any other drummers, he just has to be the best drummer for Metallica.  I think his songwriting skills and business prowess have proved that over the years, even if he is just an average drummer. 

I do love the videos of Metallica with Joey Jordison and Dave Lombardo from 2004 though, it's amazing to hear the band with so much power and precision behind the kit.